Steak Restaurants in Edinburgh

systemx

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I have been to Kyloe a couple of time’s since easing of lockdown. Can’t recommend it highly enough the food is great, the environment is good and Huxley now opened if you fancy a drink afterwards. 

Cheers never thought about Huxley

Gaucho's or Hawksmoor on St Andrew Sq.  Both pricey but both excellent.  Hawkesmoor is also participating in the government eat out scheme (Mon-Wed) so you can get up to 20 pounds off your meal.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, davemclaren said:

Quite liked the one in what was the Cramond Inn. 

Miller and Carter.

Excellent.

davemclaren
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Miller and Carter.

Excellent.

That’s the one. Been there once and will go back. 

8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Miller and Carter.

Excellent.

Miller and Carter gets a rough ride but I've never been disappointed. Their Thursday night offer is good value.

Edited by Sooperstar

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Miller and Carter gets a rough ride but I've never been disappointed. Their Thursday night offer is good value.

I agree. 
I’ve been quite a lot and like yourself never been disappointed.

luckyBatistuta
19 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

McKirdy's. Proper meat.

Or come to my bit. I'll charge u a fortune and it'll be guid. Yer no using my shunky tho

I’ve been to Mckirdy’s once and that was enough, it was just average. The reason I wouldn’t bother again was the size of the menu...it was like War and Peace, no danger that’s all fresh produce.

Chop House👍

Kyloe, Hawksmoor and The Honours are where I go for a steak. Think only the former two are open. McKirdy’s used to be good but not been for years. Miller & Carter is bang average chain restaurant food. 

Dagger Is Back

McKirdys - meh

Miller - very disappointing. Steak very fatty 

Used to love going to the Buffalo Grill years ago. Best steaks IMO

Much prefer to do them myself now 

Love steak. Love it. Best I've had is still on a hot stone years ago in Budapest. Another good one was in Toronto but I forget the place name. I've tried hard over the years to perfect cooking it. I think I'm close to getting it exactly as I like it.

Seasoned quite heavily good few hours before cooking. I always have it out the fridge between half an hour to an hour before cooking. Pat it dry as well.

Really thick cast iron hot pan with little oil.

Medium Rare.

Homemade Garlic Butter.

Just talking about it is giving my tongue an erection.

8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’ve been to Mckirdy’s once and that was enough, it was just average. The reason I wouldn’t bother again was the size of the menu...it was like War and Peace, no danger that’s all fresh produce.

Chop House👍

No been for years. He's a good butcher for defs.

Chop House is a funny one. Been a few times and I find it a bit fur coat n nae knickers. They tell you everything is amazing and it just doesn't quite hit the mark but I still like it. Cocktail list is amazing!

Tbh we tend not to go out for steaks as they're generally disappointing. They're a restaurant food you can do better at home so I'll tend to eat out at places doing food I won't or can't myself. Do love a good steak though.

the general
9 hours ago, TheBigO said:

McKirdy's. Proper meat.

Or come to my bit. I'll charge u a fortune and it'll be guid. Yer no using my shunky tho

Still closed 

Kyloe and Gaucho's are both the best for me. Thought miller & carter was ok, only been the once and while nice be enough not on par with the other 2 imo. 

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Chop House is a funny one. Been a few times and I find it a bit fur coat n nae knickers. They tell you everything is amazing and it just doesn't quite hit the mark but I still like it. Cocktail list is amazing!

Tbh we tend not to go out for steaks as they're generally disappointing. They're a restaurant food you can do better at home so I'll tend to eat out at places doing food I won't or can't myself. Do love a good steak though.

Totally agree with that. I'm not great in the kitchen so enjoy a meal out but tend to avoid getting a steak as if you get a good one from the butcher you'll manage to cook up something as good as or better than most you'll be served up in a restaurant. 

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Get what you are saying, as I love a steak for my dinner in the house. I’ve improved my preparation skills, but the best steak I’ve ever had was still in a restaurant.

Harry Potter

Always went there for the mother in laws birthday, very expensive imo, this 

year went to the Torphin in Corstorphine which was ok, bit noisy though, tbf i dont go out for meals 

as a rule got a decent cooker in the house. 🙂.

I was at Miller & Carter at the old Cramond Inn for a family celebration a couple of years ago, wasn't expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised. The steak was very good, although some of the sides let it down a bit. Cracking pot of bone marrow gravy with a starter too, could have happily sat with just a bowl of that.

Beat steak I've had recently was at Hawksmoor, very pricey though. They're doing the £10 discount thing in August, so I'm going back later this month to take advantage and have a £10 steak and chips (reduced to £20 on offer, then a further £10 discount for the eat out, help out offer).

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Totally agree with that. I'm not great in the kitchen so enjoy a meal out but tend to avoid getting a steak as if you get a good one from the butcher you'll manage to cook up something as good as or better than most you'll be served up in a restaurant. 

Drives me daft when a restaurant doesn't put a good crust on a steak.  Bear minimum for me, that is!

Not steak, as such, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed Fazenda.

16 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

McKirdys - meh

Miller - very disappointing. Steak very fatty 

Used to love going to the Buffalo Grill years ago. Best steaks IMO

Much prefer to do them myself now 

Was that where Hanover 99 is now? If so I totally agree, best steak i've ever had!

Currently my favourite place for steak is Shebeen.

14 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Was that where Hanover 99 is now? If so I totally agree, best steak i've ever had!

Currently my favourite place for steak is Shebeen.

There was one in Stockbridge and another at Potterow.

33 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

There was one in Stockbridge and another at Potterow.

Thinking of different places then, place i'm thinking of was something grill, french steakhouse on hanover street about 15 years ago, incredible steak and the most obscene wine list i'd seen in Edinburgh with bottles of Red worth up to 6 grand a bottle

16 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Sasoned quite heavily good few hours before cooking. I always have it out the fridge between half an hour to an hour before cooking. Pat it dry as well.

Medium Rare.

Homemade Garlic Butter.

Wouldn't the salt draw a lot of moisture out of the meat? 

Mussle and steak bar 

Maxies bistro 

Voodoo rooms for a rump 

22 princes Street 

All good value for steaks

Do The Dance

I’ve always liked Wildfire on Rose Street. Heard that it’s reopening again soon.

19 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Love steak. Love it. Best I've had is still on a hot stone years ago in Budapest. Another good one was in Toronto but I forget the place name. I've tried hard over the years to perfect cooking it. I think I'm close to getting it exactly as I like it.

Seasoned quite heavily good few hours before cooking. I always have it out the fridge between half an hour to an hour before cooking. Pat it dry as well.

Medium Rare.

Homemade Garlic Butter.

yep but I oil the steak not the pan.

19 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Medium Rare.

Homemade Garlic Butter.

I do essentially the same but instead of garlic butter I crush a garlic clove and throw it in the pan along with a few knobs of 'proper' butter and a few sprigs of thyme. Use the melted butter/garlic/thyme/juice from the pan to continually baste the steak.  4 mins either side for a decent 1/1.5 inch thick NY Strip. Lovely jubbly. 

1 hour ago, trotter said:

I do essentially the same but instead of garlic butter I crush a garlic clove and throw it in the pan along with a few knobs of 'proper' butter and a few sprigs of thyme. Use the melted butter/garlic/thyme/juice from the pan to continually baste the steak.  4 mins either side for a decent 1/1.5 inch thick NY Strip. Lovely jubbly. 

I recently bought a heavy cast iron grill plate (was watching a lot of man vs food with my boys and we made breakfast burritos on it.....fabulous)...anyhoo...need to try cooking my steak on that.

If you buy one they need seasoned.....coated in vegetable oil then in the over for an hour....when you take it out remember that the oil will have thinned a bit.....i didnt....spilt it on my right foot (same leg I broke in may).....the water blister that formed the day after was one of the worst things I've seen....draining it gave me the boak. 

heartsfc_fan

Hawksmoor is decent.

Even the pre-theature menu if you're watching the pennies as it is expensive in there.

Governor Tarkin

Off the beaten track but Charwood at Fairmilehead does two very good rump steak dinners and a bottle of house red for 30 quid on a Thursday evening. Excellent value. Their sirloin's are where it's at though. As good if not better than many of the swanky places in town.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

I will definitely be trying los argentinos,  the menu looks amazing. 

Does any steak houses in edinburgh sell veal? Love it when I'm abroad and see it on a menu.

Walter Payton
5 hours ago, mrcrisps said:

Just outside Edinburgh but Buenos Aires in Musselburgh is very good. And doing the government £10 off.

If you're going just outside Edinburgh, the Chop and Ale House (same steaks but cheaper than the Champanay next door) on the road from Linlithgow to Blackness has been dependably great for years IMO. 

crunchy frog

Me and the missus swear by the Rib Eye from Aldi. 4 quid a pop and you can pick which one you get (unless you catch the 5pm junkie chore in Jessie Mays obv) 😄

On 02/08/2020 at 22:14, TheBigO said:

McKirdy's. Proper meat.

McKirdys, not your bit, soz 

10 hours ago, mrcrisps said:

Just outside Edinburgh but Buenos Aires in Musselburgh is very good. And doing the government £10 off.

This is where I had my best steak 

11 hours ago, mrcrisps said:

You know what, it's actually really good, yeah. He's a lovely guy too. Also has a place Toll Cross, can't remember the name. Rancheros maybe?

manaliveits105
19 hours ago, superjack said:

Does any steak houses in edinburgh sell veal? Love it when I'm abroad and see it on a menu.

Veal meat again 

don’t know where don’t know when 

20 hours ago, superjack said:

Note a steak restaurant obviously but Amarone at St Andrews square/George st sell it. If I remember correctly it was pretty decent.