Gas Pipe for New Boiler

dicksojo

Afternoon all, I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of guidance. I have just had a new boiler fitted into my attic. We were initially told we would need a new gas pipe fitted under our floorboards but when the engineer looked he said there wasn’t much room and we would need to go up the front of the house and into the attic that way. I wasn’t too happy as I didn’t want the eye sore and asked if we could pipe it around the outside of the house to the back wall and up that way into the attic (the boiler is in the back wall of the attic). Beginner said it would be too much pipe and wasn’t feasible. We are now left with a gas pipe going up the front of our house.

Can anyone advise whether I’ve been gullible and if it is possible to pipe around the side then up? I can’t imagine there would be a big difference in the amount of pipe used to go round the side rather than straight up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Not sure you will find satisfaction by asking this retrospectively. Personally if I was told I needed the pipe up the front I've have been looking for suitable places other than the attic to site the boiler...

The pipe could be routed any way front or back, the only difference is for a longer pipe run with more fittings the diameter of the pipe might have to have been increased to ensure the gas pressure at the boiler was ok.

1 hour ago, dicksojo said:

Afternoon all, I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of guidance. I have just had a new boiler fitted into my attic. We were initially told we would need a new gas pipe fitted under our floorboards but when the engineer looked he said there wasn’t much room and we would need to go up the front of the house and into the attic that way. I wasn’t too happy as I didn’t want the eye sore and asked if we could pipe it around the outside of the house to the back wall and up that way into the attic (the boiler is in the back wall of the attic). Beginner said it would be too much pipe and wasn’t feasible. We are now left with a gas pipe going up the front of our house.

Can anyone advise whether I’ve been gullible and if it is possible to pipe around the side then up? I can’t imagine there would be a big difference in the amount of pipe used to go round the side rather than straight up.

Doesnt sound right mate .

As far as I'm aware there is no distance restriction on gas pipe and the extra cost is in relation minimal.

No you are not gullible.

Sounds like this guy wanted an easy life.

The only required distance I'm aware of and restriction is keeping distance from electric and that running under floor slab(due to gas build up) are concerns.

Seek advice from a reputable contractor.

4 minutes ago, arfurdaley said:

The pipe could be routed any way front or back, the only difference is for a longer pipe run with more fittings the diameter of the pipe might have to have been increased to ensure the gas pressure at the boiler was ok.

This.

The extra pipe is not a particular cost .

Sounds like the guy couldnt be bothered with the dig.

Also not sure though if hes advised you wrong report it.

I'm sure theres industry standards especially if hes an engineer.

Take advice.

Kick up fek.

18 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Not sure you will find satisfaction by asking this retrospectively. Personally if I was told I needed the pipe up the front I've have been looking for suitable places other than the attic to site the boiler...

Or another engineer.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I’ll see if I can get someone out to look at it and reroute the pipe. The extra pipe length must only be a few meters (enough to go along the side of the house). If anyone has any recommendations then please let me know. 

Thanks all

3 hours ago, dicksojo said:

Bud, I’m an industrial/commercial heating engineer but don’t have my gas qualification. But obviously I work alongside colleagues who do and we learn bits and bobs for general safety procedures and fit the pipe which they test. 

In terms of domestic(keeping in mind regulations change like the weather in the gas industry!) I always thought running gas pipe in the floor was a complete no-no because of ventilation safety regulations. The idea is to always run in a well ventilated area or a pipe box/riser where possible and that would have to be ventilated too.  

It does sound like laziness with the engineer but he is right to keep it outside as much as possible....Is the gas pipe solid pipe, as in steel pipe? It should be galvanised steel or painted steel pipe if external and exposed. 👍🏻

Edited by Debut 4

Maybe the engineer has taken the easiest option, rather than have to lift flooring etc.

We are getting a new boiler fitted on Tuesday,  we are going for a combi,which requires 22mm pipe fed from the mains, it’s going in the same place as our existing boiler, in the kitchen, they said that the floor in the kitchen will have to be lifted as the pipe going into our existing boiler is smaller (maybe 12 or 15mm I’m not sure), so I’m hoping there is already 22mm pipe in the kitchen ( engineer is certain there will be) otherwise flooring will have to be lifted in my hall, living room, dining room and kitchen. I have made it clear we don’t want any pipes running up the outside or inside of our house, they all have to be hidden.

We also have a hot water tank upstairs and also a header tank in the loft which are all getting removed as they are no longer required.

We are getting ours fitted with https://theedinburghboilercompany.com/, anybody used them before?

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Bud, I’m an industrial/commercial heating engineer but don’t have my gas qualification. But obviously I work alongside colleagues who do and we learn bits and bobs for general safety procedures and fit the pipe which they test. 

In terms of domestic(keeping in mind regulations change like the weather in the gas industry!) I always thought running gas pipe in the floor was a complete no-no because of ventilation safety regulations. The idea is to always run in a well ventilated area or a pipe box/riser where possible and that would have to be ventilated too.  

It does sound like laziness with the engineer but he is right to keep it outside as much as possible....Is the gas pipe solid pipe, as in steel pipe? It should be galvanised steel or painted steel pipe if external and exposed. 👍🏻

I think it’s a copper pipe at least it looks like that. I just can’t see why a few extra meters would cause such a pain. I’ll call a few places tomorrow to see if they can reroute.

Copper is fine for internal or external, if ran internally under floor the floor space has to be well ventilated. Sounds like it was too much bother, he should have gave you the option to run the pipe the way you wanted and priced accordingly.

9 minutes ago, arfurdaley said:

Copper is fine for internal or external, if ran internally under floor the floor space has to be well ventilated. Sounds like it was too much bother, he should have gave you the option to run the pipe the way you wanted and priced accordingly.

Thanks mate. I’m clueless with this stuff so didn’t really question him too much at the time. I’ll get someone out to price a job to run it the correct way. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjambo said:

Maybe the engineer has taken the easiest option, rather than have to lift flooring etc.

We are getting a new boiler fitted on Tuesday,  we are going for a combi,which requires 22mm pipe fed from the mains, it’s going in the same place as our existing boiler, in the kitchen, they said that the floor in the kitchen will have to be lifted as the pipe going into our existing boiler is smaller (maybe 12 or 15mm I’m not sure), so I’m hoping there is already 22mm pipe in the kitchen ( engineer is certain there will be) otherwise flooring will have to be lifted in my hall, living room, dining room and kitchen. I have made it clear we don’t want any pipes running up the outside or inside of our house, they all have to be hidden.

We also have a hot water tank upstairs and also a header tank in the loft which are all getting removed as they are no longer required.

We are getting ours fitted with https://theedinburghboilercompany.com/, anybody used them before?

I've not used them, but looking to get a new boiler fitted myself, so would be interested to know how it turns out for you. 

3 hours ago, dicksojo said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I’ll see if I can get someone out to look at it and reroute the pipe. The extra pipe length must only be a few meters (enough to go along the side of the house). If anyone has any recommendations then please let me know. 

Thanks all

35 minutes ago, jvm32 said:

I've not used them, but looking to get a new boiler fitted myself, so would be interested to know how it turns out for you. 

I’d recommend James at West Energy.

https://m.facebook.com/westenergyservices

Guy is top class and his work is excellent. Will give you an honest opinion about what he thinks is best. Also does a yearly service for £60 (I think).

As said above the diameter of the pipe would probably have to be increased due to the extra length, so the extra cost of larger pipe and fittings along with the extra labour would have to be factored into any decision.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Is it just me?

Puting a boiler in the attic is a bit strange , ie not readily accessible.

Normally in a cupboard.

Wont be just you but nothing strange about it. A new boiler shouldn’t really need much interaction from a homeowner so why not put it out the way rather than use kitchen/cupboard space. 

@dicksojo can recommend someone who can sort that out for you. 

26 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Is it just me?

Normally in a cupboard.

It's probably more common than you'd think. When I'm out with the dogs, I often see flues high up on houses. In fact, when we bought our house it had a back boiler which was in the attic.

Hugh Phamism
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Is it just me?

Normally in a cupboard.

I got a new combi boiler fitted last year, and it was moved from a low level kitchen cupboard into my attic. If anything, it's even more accessible to the engineers now than when it was in a low cupboard. Much more useable kitchen space as well. 

I used a local company out in the EH51 area, but I did get a quote from Edinburgh Boiler Company and their price and service was decent. Incidently, the quote included the line for extra gas piping with the cost as below.

- Additional meters of gas pipe - Additional meters of gas pipe per 1m 4 x £35.00 = £140.00

Edited by Hugh Phamism

I have experienced this before.

It is possible that the length of run from the gas meter to the boiler can mean that efficient combustion cannot take place because of a lack of pressure and or volume of gas.Simply it can be resolved by upgrading the pipework to the gas consumer.

I have never fancied having a boiler in the attic as when it leaks the water is only going in one direction.It just takes the gas company to decide its workforce don't do ladders.Does anyone remember SKYTV height teams?

Another reason is that it may take ages for hot water to reach taps unless there is a DHW circulation facility.More expense and complexity. Combi boilers are getting smaller and quieter therefore less intrusive fitted in living areas.

On a side note,I put 4kw of solar panels on a house in Cockburnspath in 2017 and they haven't had to heat water since, even in winter.

52 minutes ago, Hugh Phamism said:

I got a new combi boiler fitted last year, and it was moved from a low level kitchen cupboard into my attic. If anything, it's even more accessible to the engineers now than when it was in a low cupboard. Much more useable kitchen space as well. 

I used a local company out in the EH51 area, but I did get a quote from Edinburgh Boiler Company and their price and service was decent. Incidently, the quote included the line for extra gas piping with the cost as below.

- Additional meters of gas pipe - Additional meters of gas pipe per 1m 4 x £35.00 = £140.00

I'm not far from there, would you mind telling me the name of the company? Going to ring round a few to get a few quotes.

Thanks

Hugh Phamism
45 minutes ago, jvm32 said:

I'm not far from there, would you mind telling me the name of the company? Going to ring round a few to get a few quotes.

Thanks

It was Go Galloway Plumbing and Heating. They did a great job and I would recommend them, but I can't seem to find the web or FB page anymore. 

35 minutes ago, Hugh Phamism said:

It was Go Galloway Plumbing and Heating. They did a great job and I would recommend them, but I can't seem to find the web or FB page anymore. 

Cheers

Howdy Doody Jambo

What's the cost these days for a good Worcester combi boiler installation these days? 

7 hours ago, jb102 said:

I have never fancied having a boiler in the attic as when it leaks the water is only going in one direction.It just takes the gas company to decide its workforce don't do ladders.Does anyone remember SKYTV height teams?

Sky still have height teams. They insisted they had to send a height team to me last year for a sky q installation. It amused me since we were already sky q ready and the only had internal mods to do.

Howdy Doody Jambo
On 02/08/2020 at 19:01, jimmyjambo said:

We're you happy with the price and workpersonship from the Edinburgh Boiler company? 

Just curious as I will be needing to get a new boiler shortly 

43 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

We're you happy with the price and workpersonship from the Edinburgh Boiler company? 

Just curious as I will be needing to get a new boiler shortly 

Happy so far, boy was here all day today, coming back tomorrow to finish the job. Has done a nice clean job so far, took out the old boiler, header tank in loft and the hot water tank, and all the related pipe work, new boiler in situ but not connected, no problem so far.

Regarding the cost, this was the only quote we got, they seem to get good reviews and we were happy with the price and couldn’t be bothered farting about getting different quotes.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, jimmyjambo said:

Happy so far, boy was here all day today, coming back tomorrow to finish the job. Has done a nice clean job so far, took out the old boiler, header tank in loft and the hot water tank, and all the related pipe work, new boiler in situ but not connected, no problem so far.

Regarding the cost, this was the only quote we got, they seem to get good reviews and we were happy with the price and couldn’t be bothered farting about getting different quotes.

That sounds good, will defo consider them now, Are you going for a Worcester number? Cannae beat a good new boiler thread 

8 hours ago, Ma Roon said:

That sounds good, will defo consider them now, Are you going for a Worcester number? Cannae beat a good new boiler thread 

Yes, its a Worcester Greenstar 30i (Conversion), boy is here now to finish off, got to find the 22mm gas pipe that is coming into the house, hopefully it is in the kitchen where the boiler is, as that will be the only floor he wI’ll have to lift.

grumpyjambo
On 02/08/2020 at 19:31, arfurdaley said:

Copper is not acceptable externally if there is a possibility the pipe could be damaged, would have to be mild steel with yellow polyethylene underground 

• 2 weeks later...
auldreekiesfinest

Maybe a bit late in replying here.

It sounds like he’s been lazy with it.

However, the gas installation from meter to Boiler and other gas equipment you may have is only allowed a 1mbar drop across the installation. This is obv done by measuring it out and factoring in bends and other fittings to enable calculating what is sufficient pipe size wise. This is to ensure the appliance(s) can pull the correct amount of gas through the system.  Did you get it sorted?. 

Re boilers in attics. In the recent past I’ve had customers come to me for a loft ladder installation because gas engineers (Scottish Gas I think) would not sevice or repair boilers in attics unless there’s a good standard of loft ladder, flooring fitted up to and around the boiler and lighting in the attic. Something to bear in mind. 

9 hours ago, rael11 said:

Re boilers in attics. In the recent past I’ve had customers come to me for a loft ladder installation because gas engineers (Scottish Gas I think) would not sevice or repair boilers in attics unless there’s a good standard of loft ladder, flooring fitted up to and around the boiler and lighting in the attic. Something to bear in mind. 

If that is SG, maybe it's a newish thing? We have SG Homecare and when we had a boiler in the attic they serviced that, until it was replaced by a combi in the kitchen a while back.  No loft ladder, just a set of steps and no flooring. With only a skylight.