Grazing land, rural question

Unknown user

Unknown user

We've been offered the chance to rent a smashing house, but it comes with a few acres of grazing land that we'd be expected to prevent going to shit, presumably by having things graze on it.

Any rural jambos know the score? I assume you can't just throw some sheep at it?

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Rent it out to some horse owner.

Yeah, I'm out of my depth here eh? Bloody shame, lovely house 

rossaldinho

If it's got weeds on it such as ragwort or docks, sheep will be the best for it because they'll eat anything. If it's thick lush grass horse owners might be a bit wary as too much grass can be a bad thing for them. 

been here before
22 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You can also get robotic lawnmowers which I’m looking to get. These cut your grass via gps and incredibly effective as my neighbour has a couple and I’m a covert having seen them operate.

Theres a couple of those been cutting the grass non stop for a couple of years on the pitches at my laddies school. They look the dugs. Mentals as **** rolling all over the place with no obvious plan but they somehow get it all done and wheel  themselves back home.

Really hypnotic to watch.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I wonder if you could just let it grow and then cut it for hay and sell it for animal fodder or something. It would need checking for harmful plants and equipment to cut it though and the owner of the property would have a say in it too, obviously.

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

We've been offered the chance to rent a smashing house, but it comes with a few acres of grazing land that we'd be expected to prevent going to shit, presumably by having things graze on it.

Any rural jambos know the score? I assume you can't just throw some sheep at it?

Due to cuts and cost savings councils are now seeding wild flowers on road side verges and roundabouts.

Saves grass cutting and better for the environment.

You could have your very own wild meadow.

Edited by DETTY29

Harry Potter
5 hours ago, Smithee said:

Fire some goats on it, nice friendly creatures, some chickens for eggs.

If you're going to be rural can you check out local livestock owners? Sure they'd be happy with some free grazing or a hay meadow (get them to work it!).

Fencing it could be an issue if it's not already fenced.

There are some great apps for identifying plants if you can get access to the grounds first. Just take a photo and they will tell you all you need to know. Can then look up plants and see what animals, if any, are appropriate.

Most of these apps are free for the first month.

Auld Reekin'

If the house and land is in an area with farms nearby and with horses being kept then there shouldn't be a problem finding someone who'd be interested in using the grazing land. We have an arable farm very near to us and they've been raising pigs in a paddock on their land as a side project and to make a wee bit of extra cash. They've done that two years running, but have now got a few lambs in the same bit as a change. The pigs certainly did a fantastic job of clearing all of the overgrown weeds, but did also turn the whole area into a quagmire (literally turning it to shit!).

If you're that keen on the house and it ticks all the other boxes for you, I'd just go for it and look at what the land could be used for afterwards - as I said, I don't think you'd have a problem.

The owners might even have thoughts (No feckin' pigs!  :muggy:) and ideas about possible uses and means of maintaining it.

2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Due to cuts and cost savings councils are now seeding wild flowers on road side verges and roundabouts.

Exactly the first thing that came into my head. 

You could get a farmer to put a few Tups on it, it's quite handy for them to get a fresh bit of ground for half a dozen or so, goats are a good option but they're born escapologists!

39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Bloody hell, I didn't actually expect helpful answers, cheers jkb!

:lol: 

Roughly a quarter acre just behind us. Neighbour puts half a dozen tups on it and they've munched it in a few days. Shift them elsewhere and repeat after a fortnight or so.

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Maybe a local Beekeeper might fancy renting a space for some hives if the field is allowed to become a wild meadow. Just a thought!

If it's got an old shed on it, you could rent it out as a state-of-the-art training centre.

6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

If it's got an old shed on it, you could rent it out as a state-of-the-art training centre.

By the sounds of things it's probably worth about 200,000!

Unknown user
26 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuxI8KJNE6zGZjfTJXJef

I got into growing in Holland, not one gram got exchanged for money!

Only get high on your own supply if you ask me 

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

Bloody hell, I didn't actually expect helpful answers, cheers jkb!

Food for thought.

Eat the grass yourself, you lazy sod

Don't put horses on it. Nothing fecks up a field as much as horses. And the fat arsed owners will blame you for anything that happens to their nag too. Best avoided.

All other suggestions are grand, but speak to the owner for some guidance on what they consider acceptable. Pigs for example will need a lot more looking after than sheep, goats or alpacas.

26 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Tortoises being completely overlooked again I see.

Absolutely brilliant 🙂

Coffee sit moment over here

Doctor FinnBarr
25 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Tortoises being completely overlooked again I see.

Yep, eat like feck and not hard to chase em down if they bolt.

Auld Reekin'
21 hours ago, Dunks said:

Don't put horses on it. Nothing fecks up a field as much as horses. And the fat arsed owners will blame you for anything that happens to their nag too. Best avoided.

All other suggestions are grand, but speak to the owner for some guidance on what they consider acceptable. Pigs for example will need a lot more looking after than sheep, goats or alpacas.

Apart from pigs!   :thumbsup:

On 02/08/2020 at 06:30, Smithee said:

I assume you can't just throw some sheep at it?

😁 The solution to so many of life's challenges. 

This idea seems to be in its infancy. What do you know about the land? Is it flat, rocky, enclosed, an oxbow lake? 

11 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Apart from pigs!   :thumbsup:

No fat arsed owners to deal with though and slaughtering them is slightly less frowned upon :D

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, Smack said:

This idea seems to be in its infancy. What do you know about the land? Is it flat, rocky, enclosed, an oxbow lake? 

Ok, I'll ask, whats an Oxbow lake?

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Smack said:

Flat, grazey, fenced in, on a private estate. It's the long thin bit to the left of the road with the house marked

20200804_002133.jpg

4 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Ok, I'll ask, whats an Oxbow lake?

Glad you asked. A lake formed by a wandering river which becomes cut off from the river over time. Completely irrelevant, just chucked in a random geographical phrase. Smithee has covered it now with 'flat and grazey'. 

Looks like it could be a decent dog leg par 4?

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, Smack said:

Glad you asked. A lake formed by a wandering river which becomes cut off from the river over time. Completely irrelevant, just chucked in a random geographical phrase. Smithee has covered it now with 'flat and grazey'. 

Thanks for the explanation but I've honestly no idea about cricket.

1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Thanks for the explanation but I've honestly no idea about cricket.

🤔 Not crickets but locusts could be worth considering. 

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Smack said:

Think I'd rather have pigs than golfers

21 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Flat, grazey, fenced in, on a private estate. It's the long thin bit to the left of the road with the house marked

Looks pretty big - Flymo would be working overtime!

My Mrs tells me 1 horse per acre + an acre spare. If the horse owners are worried about overgrazing tell 'em to stick up an electric fence - they're easily take-downable.

Doctor FinnBarr
15 minutes ago, Smack said:

🤔 Not crickets but locusts could be worth considering. 

Ah, we're going biblical now, FTH

Unknown user
On 02/08/2020 at 07:48, Lord BJ said:

There are a few different animals you can use. Cows, sheep and goats are the most common. Depends on the land to decide which is best animal, though sheep are probably the easiest from what I know. 

I also believe lama are very popular.

There are quite a few downsides of grazing etc. The animals needs looked after. Things like goats will escape a lot, cows are ****ing huge animals. 

We have a large garden, just short of a couple of acres. We have a gardener who has a stands up lawnmower. It takes him about 15min to cut it. I have a ride on lawnmower which if I use takes less than 20min to do. 

With the right equipment it won’t take long. You can also get robotic lawnmowers which I’m looking to get. These cut your grass via gps and incredibly effective as my neighbour has a couple and I’m a covert having seen them operate. 

I'm waiting to hear back what their expectations are if I dont fancy keeping livestock. Hiring a sit down lawnmower a couple of times a year sounds doable, but it's not lawny, its rougher than that, so I wonder if it's actually doable.

Anyway, we'll see, if it's possible we're all over it!

Unknown user

Well cheers for the replies kickback, surprisingly helpful for once!

I've just found that they can let the place without the land though so happy days, problem solved.

Big up the JKB Massive!

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm waiting to hear back what their expectations are if I dont fancy keeping livestock.

Keeping livestock, if you've never done it before, I'd avoid.

The Mrs has 2 nags and it's extremely difficult to get anyone to look after 'em if we go on holiday. Even a single night away is near unmanageable. 

The neighbour has sheep - they need feeding every day, silage in winter, lambing, clipping...endless.

Pigs would have it looking like the Somme within a fortnight.

Personally I'd go for sheep or horses as long as (a) someone else owns them and (b) they assume responsibility for fence maintenance. You could always fence off a wee bit for yourself if you fancy a set of goalposts  :D

Also take advice (not from me) on sub-letting and tenancy agreements. If it's in a crofting area that's another thing to think about.

Edit - wish I'd read the post above when the notification popped up :lol:

Edited by Boof

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well cheers for the replies kickback, surprisingly helpful for once!

I've just found that they can let the place without the land though so happy days, problem solved.

Big up the JKB Massive!

I'm actually disappointed by this.

I was looking forward to threads about how best to deal with stoned alpacas.

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm actually disappointed by this.

I was looking forward to threads about how best to deal with stoned alpacas.

It's pretty tempting guv, but we all know it would end in woolly carnage, it's best this way.

Probably won't even get the thing now.

Unknown user
Just now, Lord BJ said:

Why not? Don’t fancy it or fall through.

Stoned alpaca not a bad name for a strain, in fairness. 

We definitely fancy it, it ticks all the boxes, especially as it just got cheaper without the land. But it's a competitive world out there, I'll need to keep quiet about the drum kit for example, maybe even get my hair cut 😢