The drink

Neil Dongcaster

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not a lover of Stella but had a few of those from this machine and well nice. Can’t remember the name of the one my mate had the other week but absolutely lovely it was. A dangerous little thing 😋

Yeah, good choice of beers available, I love mine...... I think Costco are stocking the machines at the min lol

9 hours ago, AW1 said:

Love a drink but as a poster above mentioned I'm the same in saying I kicked the arse out of it big time in my 20s.Im 33,  I still like a drink but my limit is 5 pints tops. Can't do anything over or I'm a write off the next day.

4 pint cans of Stella and one of the small craft beer thingys over the course of about six or so hours does me fine as a night time chill in front of the sports channels a couple of nights a week. Couldn't think of anything worse then going out on a mad one these days . Can't remember the last time I was drunk. 

I do know to avoid Malbec these days though that's for sure 

To be fair, I can't remember the last time I was drunk either. The wife can. ☹️

Weakened Offender

6 pints of lager and I'm pished. Yet can easily drink 15-20 pints of beer. Same with vodka, can rattle through loads, 2 whiskeys and I'm a goner. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, graygo said:

To be fair, I can't remember the last time I was drunk either. The wife can. ☹️

They always can in my experience. 🤨

52 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

6 pints of lager and I'm pished. Yet can easily drink 15-20 pints of beer. Same with vodka, can rattle through loads, 2 whiskeys and I'm a goner. 

15-20?  

Easily?

That was teenage/early 20’s stuff for me.

Not now.

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

15-20?  

Easily?

Not now.

The older boys in the pub I used to work in could sink 20+ with absolute ease.

Staggering.

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

15-20?  

Easily?

Not now.

I'm not saying I'm not wrecked and feel shite in the morning 😁

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Staggering.

Not surprised they were ‘staggering’!  :) 

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm not saying I'm not wrecked and feel shite in the morning 😁

:2thumbsup:

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Not surprised they were ‘staggering’!  :) 

:2thumbsup:

:lol:

They'd walk out like they hadn't touched a drop!

8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Anybody bought one of these? Couple of mates have them, quality. Tempted but fear it’s the first thing I’ll do the minute I walk in the door every night :lol: 
https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/perfect-draft-range/perfect-draft-bundles

Had one for a couple of years now, great machine, the beers are mainly northern European lagers, but they're tremendous generally. 

Governor Tarkin
19 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Anybody bought one of these? Couple of mates have them, quality. Tempted but fear it’s the first thing I’ll do the minute I walk in the door every night :lol: 
https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/perfect-draft-range/perfect-draft-bundles

I have a beer tap at home and can confirm that it's the first thing you'll do the minute you walk in the door every night. 

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Staggering.

Remember when i was wee about 50 odd years ago was out in the car with my

mum and dad, think it was up the southside, was dark so possibly late on , we passed this pub and this big bloke came out and spewed the biggest ammount ever😵, think that was his 20 pints in one go.

15-20 pints :lol:

Dread to think how bad I'd feel after that. Don't think I've had more than around 8 in several years. Any more is not worth the pain the next day. 

On 01/08/2020 at 18:48, Neil Dongcaster said:

Had my first session for 7 month yesterday and feel absolutely awful. Used to be out twice a week but honestly don’t think I’ll bother with it anymore.

My issue is after a few I get my greedy heid on.

I think Im mostly a sensible sort but it goes out the window after a couple. Im not a bad drunk (prob a bit nippy at times, but harmless) the hangovers these days just scunner me though.

I'm 52 and drink heavily but in moderation (is how I like to put it). 

c.30 pints a week, spread over three sessions, never more than stand up tipsy and I never get hangovers. 

Don't need booze, I just like it. Indeed, I'll avoid drink if I have something important or a bit nerve wracking to do.

Occasionally asked by family/friends to do a wee set from my busking days at get togethers etc. and always stay sober beforehand. 

Feel sorry for voluntary tea totallers; must be awful.

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, martoon said:

I'm 52 and drink heavily but in moderation (is how I like to put it). 

c.30 pints a week, spread over three sessions, never more than stand up tipsy and I never get hangovers. 

Don't need booze, I just like it. Indeed, I'll avoid drink if I have something important or a bit nerve wracking to do.

Occasionally asked by family/friends to do a wee set from my busking days at get togethers etc. and always stay sober beforehand. 

Feel sorry for voluntary tea totallers; must be awful.

I feel more sorry for the abstainers who have been forced into it: the life-long non-drinkers won't miss it...

5 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I feel more sorry for the abstainers who have been forced into it: the life-long non-drinkers won't miss it...

John Le Mesurier springs to mind.

He was told he had to stop drinking when in his early 70's. He did, for a year. His wife took him our for a meal to celebrate the landmark but he told her that, although proud of himself etc., he'd been utterly bored and miserable for the 12 months. 

They agreed that happiness was more important than longevity so he went back on the booze. He drank what he wanted and lived happily for another decade. 

The best thing for tackling 'The Fear' is. 🤣 And so! 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ri Alban

16 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Staggering.

My old man was like that, heard stories of him being on a stag in Gala years ago, his mate who was driving the bus was on juice all night and counted how many pints my old man had gotten through, 22 pints of lager and he was the one helping carry other folk back on the bus at the end of the night.

Had my first post lockdown session yesterday, platform 5 > gorgie suite > platform 5, had maybe 9 or 10 pints and feel utterly horrific today despite being home about half ten and straight to bed

hmfc_liam06
11 minutes ago, Ribble said:

My old man was like that, heard stories of him being on a stag in Gala years ago, his mate who was driving the bus was on juice all night and counted how many pints my old man had gotten through, 22 pints of lager and he was the one helping carry other folk back on the bus at the end of the night.

Lager? 'Kin hell :lol:

The boys in the boozer would be on stuff like John Smiths, Best etc.

I couldn't imagine sinking 20+ pints of lager of over the same short period these boys were scooping. You're honestly talking 3 pints an hour, easy. They're a different breed.

21 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Lager? 'Kin hell :lol:

The boys in the boozer would be on stuff like John Smiths, Best etc.

I couldn't imagine sinking 20+ pints of lager of over the same short period these boys were scooping. You're honestly talking 3 pints an hour, easy. They're a different breed.

My old man has always been 15-20 mins a pint, he'd go down his local most nights and easily manage 6-7 pints in about an hour and a half, even at long/full days out like family weddings he'll pace himself at nearly half an hour per pint but stays at that pace the whole day, always sticking to pints (i've never seen him touch a spirit) and despite that I've also genuinely never seen him smashed to the point of falling over. Prick doesn't get hangovers either!