The drink

Neil Dongcaster

Neil Dongcaster

Had my first session for 7 month yesterday and feel absolutely awful. Used to be out twice a week but honestly don’t think I’ll bother with it anymore.

4 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Had my first session for 7 month yesterday and feel absolutely awful. Used to be out twice a week but honestly don’t think I’ll bother with it anymore.

If I have a real god kick at the baw it's 3 days before I'm right again, I also feel the effects much quicker these days too.

Салатные палочки
6 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Over 35? 

I can just about do it once a month now and i feel like shite. Thing is I'm not the kind of person who enjoys one or two, has to be a session. So I tend to lay off it more these days. I think I drank twice when I was away on holiday for two weeks earlier in the year. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

Neil Dongcaster
2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Over 35? 

I can just about do it once a month now and i feel like shite. Thing is I'm not the kind of person who enjoys one or two, has to be a session. So I tend to lay off it more these days. I think I drank twice when I was away on holiday for two weeks earlier in the year. 

31, absolutely kicked the arse out of it for the last 15 years though so probably catching up on me.

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Did you replace it with anything else?

Mentioned this in another thread but we have our first kids coming with twins due in October. So had to give myself a kick up the arse.

Салатные палочки
Just now, Neil Dongcaster said:

31, absolutely kicked the arse out of it for the last 15 years though so probably catching up on me.

I'm 38 in a few weeks and it doesn't get any better, only worse. I think I must have been about 31/32 when I thought I need to reign it in a bit. I have mates though who are the same age and older who are actually drinking more these days. 

It might sound boring but I love nothing better than waking up fresh on Sunday morning. 

Carl Weathers

I had about 8/9 pints equivalent over a month ago (over a decent period of time) and felt so rotten the next day I haven't touched a drop since. 

Got the fear massively the next day (despite knowing nothing untoward happened) and generally felt shite for days. I'm 36.

It kills me now- despite that I'm starting to fancy a pint again. I think my safe limit is about 4/5 pints now.

Samuel Camazzola

Looking back at the days of going to Malia and Magaluf at 19/20 and managing to go out every day and night. 😄 

Recent 3 night stag doos have taken their toll but doubt I could manage the holidays of my youth nowadays. 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Better without it.

hmfc_liam06
35 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I had about 8/9 pints equivalent over a month ago (over a decent period of time) and felt so rotten the next day I haven't touched a drop since. 

Got the fear massively the next day (despite knowing nothing untoward happened) and generally felt shite for days. I'm 36.

It kills me now- despite that I'm starting to fancy a pint again. I think my safe limit is about 4/5 pints now.

This is pretty much me.

I had a 15 pint day last Saturday (over 12 hours), was spewing my ring all morning the next day. Didn't feel right until the Wednesday.

It's just not worth it tbh.

Auld Reekin'
29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

This is pretty much me.

I had a 15 pint day last Saturday (over 12 hours), was spewing my ring all morning the next day. Didn't feel right until the Wednesday.

It's just not worth it tbh.

I'm not sure I'd survive a 15 pint-session; mind you, I'm an old fecker...   :(

Happier now in so many respects just having a two or three beers two or three times a week - usually just at the weekend too - than when I was kicking the arse out of it most days of the week. Actually really enjoy the beers now, rather than just swilling them down.

Still manage the odd sesh, but fairly restrained and only very occasionally.

hmfc_liam06
57 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I'm not sure I'd survive a 15 pint-session; mind you, I'm an old fecker...   :(

Happier now in so many respects just having a two or three beers two or three times a week - usually just at the weekend too - than when I was kicking the arse out of it most days of the week. Actually really enjoy the beers now, rather than just swilling them down.

Still manage the odd sesh, but fairly restrained and only very occasionally.

I'm not much of a pint drinker as well and I've not managed that much in years, dunno what it was. Good company and beer garden probably.

100% never again though.

Auld Reekin'
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm not much of a pint drinker as well and I've not managed that much in years, dunno what it was. Good company and beer garden probably.

100% never again though.

Lockdown too, maybe?   :) 🍻

I’ve always suffered badly from hangovers but last few years I go out early afternoon so home by 9pm and straight to bed 

Good 12-14 hours sleep and I’m not that bad next day 

I couldn’t tell you how many sundays I’ve lost through drink over the years 

Enzo Chiefo
3 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

That's exactly where I'm at. 4 pints or 5 at a push is my safe limit. Feel OK the next day but any more and the next day is a write off. 

The idea of drinking 8 or 9 pints is a non-starter 

7 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

The problem for me is not knowing when to stop! Feel like staying out all night after 4 or 5.

Same here, but the conversations got to be light and cheerful, as soon as the "He said She said" pish starts, I'm gone.

Edited by OBE

I’m fine on beer. Can comfortably sup 10 pints and be fresh as a daisy next day.

Wine and spirits are my Achilles heel.

Red wine after a few beers and I’m ruined. Same with voddy or a dram. 

I absolutely detest hangovers as they mess with my head so it’s rare I get drunk. Love a bevvy but hit the stop button before I’m too far gone.

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I quite often will have non alcoholic beers sitting in the house. I quite like them.

everyone to their own, never found them very tasty, rather have red kola.

Feel for anyone who’s had the type of hangover I had yesterday, dry mouth, exhaustion, limbs aching, persistent headache, irrational worry, sweats, the full works.. Was out in a beer garden all afternoon and into evening on Friday and still feeling grim today ☹️

Jambo-Jimbo

Haven't been drunk or had a hangover since 1999.

The last time I was blootered it took me 3 days to recover and I said never again, and for the last 21 years I've stuck by that.

Nowadays I know my limits and when out or at a family get together I'll have a good drink, but always stay in control and either slow right down or stop when I near my limit.

For me I just decided that I wasn't prepared to feel like shit and lose 3 days of my life by getting drunk anymore, now I can have a good drink everyday, never puke and feel absolutely fine the next day. 

5 hours ago, scottishguy said:

bunch of pussies, 52 and still going strongish🤪😂

Well said. People need to sort it out. 

When that first pint of Belhaven Best hit the lips after 4 months without it, was magical. Personally think if you get up and try to do something the hangover shifts quicker. Laying about all day in the house seems to make mine last forever even if I've not been hard at it.

Love a drink but as a poster above mentioned I'm the same in saying I kicked the arse out of it big time in my 20s.Im 33,  I still like a drink but my limit is 5 pints tops. Can't do anything over or I'm a write off the next day.

4 pint cans of Stella and one of the small craft beer thingys over the course of about six or so hours does me fine as a night time chill in front of the sports channels a couple of nights a week. Couldn't think of anything worse then going out on a mad one these days . Can't remember the last time I was drunk. 

I do know to avoid Malbec these days though that's for sure 

In my 20s I was working in an industry with a culture of heavy drinking and was on the peeve every night, starting with a few pints after shift ended with the rest of my workmates then either going on with them for a dinner or back home with a carry out.

Weekends were especially brutal.

Hangovers got ridiculous when I hit 30 so I cut back a bit but I never really got out of the habit until the industry imploded and I lost my job.

In hindsight probably a good thing.

Not being around a culture of bevvy all day every day and not having the cash to buy any booze both combined to help me sort myself out.

Started sleeping better, lost a ton of weight, generally felt better in myself and after I found new work, I suddenly found that I had a shit load more disposable income now that I wasn't sinking £30 a night down my neck.

Have a much healthier relationship with booze now. It's a treat. I'm now able to just have a couple and stop for the night.

Even when I do have a sesh it's nowhere near as heavy as previous, 8 pints being the upper limit and even then it takes me all night to get them down. No more 20 minutes a pint for this bloke any more.

maroonlegions
16 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

So it's just  not me then that gets "the fear" with a hangover. What the feck  is that all about though. The fear, i mean as you said when there is nothing to fear, why feel  fearful , mental eh. 

Had a good sesh recently and the next 3 fecking days were shite, i mean 3 days..:cornette: 

maroonlegions
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Feel for anyone who’s had the type of hangover I had yesterday, dry mouth, exhaustion, limbs aching, persistent headache, irrational worry, sweats, the full works.. Was out in a beer garden all afternoon and into evening on Friday and still feeling grim today ☹️

Folk do realise that a hangover is dehydration , its you body telling you it needs rehydration. Feck dying of thirst though, that must be the hangover from hell and back.

Just now, maroonlegions said:

Folk do realise that a hangover is dehydration , its you body telling you it needs rehydration. Feck dying of thirst though, that must be the hangover from hell and back.

aye, the odd time I’ve followed advice to down a pint of water before bed it does make a difference. By the time the morning hangover kicks in it’s too late. No matter how much water I drink the dry mouth persists. 

Carl Weathers
27 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

So it's just  not me then that gets "the fear" with a hangover. What the feck  is that all about though. The fear, i mean as you said when there is nothing to fear, why feel  fearful , mental eh. 

Had a good sesh recently and the next 3 fecking days were shite, i mean 3 days..:cornette: 

I get bad anxiety after a sesh. If I have a black out I'm a proper mess.

It's really not good for me physically or mentally but every now and then I'll end up steam boats and then go through the same process of being physically broken/sick followed by days of anxiety/paranoia. I rarely get hammered thesedays, thankfully- maybe a couple of times a year. 

I wish I had cut down/stopped years ago but it felt like the done thing at the time. 

Neil Dongcaster
24 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Absolute lightweights eh 😋

D58F50FC-4909-4231-A329-32D462394B2F.jpeg

6E9C0613-BA8A-474E-BC5A-2CEF525F37DA.jpeg

I find most people who have this attitude are using alcohol to mask unhappiness. 

3 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I find most people who have this attitude are using alcohol to mask unhappiness. 

Could also be having a laugh. 

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I’m a functioning alky😋

Neil Dongcaster
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Could also be having a laugh. 

Having reread my post it seems like I’m having a pop at the poster, I wasn’t I’m just thick and terrible at articulating myself. 

I’m not suggesting that JD is unhappy it was supposed to be a general point about people who continually go on about drinking and how much they can drink etc.

Apologies to JD, i wasn’t having a pop.

8 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Would you rather they lived with it? 

jack D and coke
Just now, Neil Dongcaster said:

Having reread my post it seems like I’m having a pop at the poster, I wasn’t I’m just thick and terrible at articulating myself. 

I’m not suggesting that JD is unhappy it was supposed to be a general point about people who continually go on about drinking and how much they can drink etc.

Apologies to JD, i wasn’t having a pop.

No worries man👍🏼

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

No worries man👍🏼

Aye, he wis and now he's shat it. Noo... If... He hid a bevvy, he'd staun by it. 

18 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I'm not a drinker, in fact I'm a one can dan. Had friends over from Bristol last night and drank more than I have done in the last 12 months. Feel like I've been run over by a tram today.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Alcohol is a depressant, so using it to hide unhappiness isn't really helping at all.

So we better stop reading your posts then. 

::troll::

maroonlegions

Saying  that i will no doubt have a beer today as i am off work tomorrow. The trouble is how many will i have. This lockdown has increased home bevying no doubt, when  and if this COVID shit show is  over there could be a lot of alkies about. 

Edited by maroonlegions

4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Anybody bought one of these? Couple of mates have them, quality. Tempted but fear it’s the first thing I’ll do the minute I walk in the door every night :lol: 
https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/perfect-draft-range/perfect-draft-bundles

Yes I do, proper Stella no the watered down UK brewed stuff.... Spaten is quality 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Cyber said:

Yes I do, proper Stella no the watered down UK brewed stuff.... Spaten is quality 

Not a lover of Stella but had a few of those from this machine and well nice. Can’t remember the name of the one my mate had the other week but absolutely lovely it was. A dangerous little thing 😋