Marvin

One for my generation. In a time before the internet and long before the social media phenomenon; who remembers when Swap Shop's Cheggers (hadn't realised he died 3 years ago) took the roadshow to Edinburgh? Did you go and did you swap anything? Although I preferred Tiz Waz (Swap Shop started earlier then I'd switch over), I remember my Dad taking me along to see it.  Iirc I swapped the game Perfection for a skateboard, which never got used. Kids today don't know what they are missing :laugh:

Edited by Marvin

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

One for my generation. In a time before the internet and long before the social media phenomenon; who remembers when Swap Shop's Cheggers (hadn't realised he died 3 years ago) took the roadshow to Edinburgh? Did you go and did you swap anything? Although I preferred Tiz Waz (Swap Shop started earlier then I'd switch over), I remember my Dad taking me along to see it.  Iirc I swapped the game Perfection for a skateboard, which never got used. Kids today don't know what they are missing :laugh:

Nice one. That's the kind of swap you used to see on the Swap Shop board on the telly and think 'chancing arab' (or something like that). 😃

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Didn't know he was dead till I read this 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Cheile said:

Swap Shop was pish, whereas TIWAS had the lovely Sally James.

I always insisted my kids watched Tiswas.

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I always insisted my kids watched Tiswas.

Are you expecting a telegram, anytime soon? Tiswas was donkeys ago. 🤣

been here before

Everytime I reach for the bottle of vodka I hide in the cistern I raise a glass to the memory of Cheggers.

Maggie Philbin had a thing about her back in the day too. Cheggers was punching above his weight there if we're being honest.

Edited by been here before

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Everytime I reach for the bottle of vodka I hide in the cistern I raise a glass to the memory of Cheggers.

Maggie Philbin had a thing about her back in the day too. Cheggers was punching above his weight there if we're being honest.

She drove him to drink, you had a lucky escape.

The Real Maroonblood
49 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Are you expecting a telegram, anytime soon? Tiswas was donkeys ago. 🤣

Getting there but a few year to go.

:P

1 hour ago, Cheile said:

Swap Shop was pish, whereas TIWAS had the lovely Sally James.

Yeah but what about Maggie Philbin :lol:

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Yeah but what about Maggie Philbin :lol:

No, too nicey, nicey. Sally James, I imagine, would be a bit dirty. (At least she was in my fantasies!)

been here before
47 minutes ago, Cheile said:

No, too nicey, nicey. Sally James, I imagine, would be a bit dirty. (At least she was in my fantasies!)

See I imagine it the other way around. Sally James too obvious, in yer face in and aboot exactly as youd expect. Like the big brassy receptionist. No surprises and nothing half the office havent done with her before

Philbin on the other hand... BBC home counties, nicey nice girl next door type. Wee quite mousey one, sits in the corner never really being noticed. Lets her hair down a wee bit at the xmas party. Utter depraved filth when back to hers. The type no-one would believe when you tell them as 'what? Maggie? The dark haired lassie... nah.... she's not that sort'.

Edited by been here before

Harry Potter
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

No, they were aw n the pub huvvin a life. 

😀, take it someone has said to you to get to the pub, lol.

Shanks said no
3 hours ago, been here before said:

See I imagine it the other way around. Sally James too obvious, in yer face in and aboot exactly as youd expect. Like the big brassy receptionist. No surprises and nothing half the office havent done with her before

Philbin on the other hand... BBC home counties, nicey nice girl next door type. Wee quite mousey one, sits in the corner never really being noticed. Lets her hair down a wee bit at the xmas party. Utter depraved filth when back to hers. The type no-one would believe when you tell them as 'what? Maggie? The dark haired lassie... nah.... she's not that sort'.

You have given this some thought haven't you?

Excellent post but 

luckyBatistuta
11 hours ago, Marvin said:

I think I went to this, was it on the Meadows?

Tommy Brown
5 hours ago, been here before said:

:rofl:

Can I suggest counseling?

been here before
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

You have given this some thought haven't you?

19 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

:rofl:

Can I suggest counseling?

The boy in the library kens...

13 hours ago, Marvin said:

I went.

Can't remember doing a swap, but I do still have my Swap Shop scarf I got at the event.

In the loft.

Questions might be asked if I still wore it.

John Findlay
14 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I think I went to this, was it on the Meadows?

Murrayfield stadium

Seymour M Hersh
17 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I've had many a Sherman to that picture probably.

And that was only last week eh Jonno. :kirk:

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

JudyJudyJudy

I always felt swap shop was so middle class and posh. I just couldn't relate to it.  Especially the swap shop board,  where you had snooty Sarah wanting to swap a violin for some other shit with another posh kid.  Suppose it made growing up in poverty worse !   But i prefered Tiswas as it was just anarchic and more child friendly,  Blue Peter was pish too. apart from John Noakes .  He had a great enthusiasm about him   .  

been here before
18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I always felt swap shop was so middle class and posh. I just couldn't relate to it.  Especially the swap shop board,  where you had snooty Sarah wanting to swap a violin for some other shit with another posh kid.  Suppose it made growing up in poverty worse !   But i prefered Tiswas as it was just anarchic and more child friendly,  Blue Peter was pish too. apart from John Noakes .  He had a great enthusiasm about him   .  

The Man, an utter legend.

Nelson Column 70s Health and Safety: sturdy shoes and a pair of denim flares "about 180 feet I should think".

John Findlay
28 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Hairy Pie too.......

Well it was back in an era when Davy Crockett hats were all the rage. 

Known as Bush Tucker Trials these days.

:vrface:

You wouldnt have said no.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, been here before said:

The Man, an utter legend.

Nelson Column 70s Health and Safety: sturdy shoes and a pair of denim flares "about 180 feet I should think".

Broke the golden rule. Never sit on a Bosun's chair you havent rigged yourself.

On 01/08/2020 at 13:39, Lemongrab said:

This is as risque as the BBC got in those days.

Was it Swapshop that  had a band on once where the very tidy lead singer had the shortest of short skirts and all the boys in the TV audience were staring at her minge and the presenter (Sarah Green ?) said "how nice , you wore knickers to match your dress".

The singer said "cheers, I don't normally wear any". :rofl:

John Findlay
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

You're probably right...

Any red blooded male would have.

17 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Was it Swapshop that  had a band on once where the very tidy lead singer had the shortest of short skirts and all the boys in the TV audience were staring at her minge and the presenter (Sarah Green ?) said "how nice , you wore knickers to match your dress".

The singer said "cheers, I don't normally wear any". :rofl:

Was that not Bow Wow Wow?

On 01/08/2020 at 13:39, Lemongrab said:

This is as risque as the BBC got in those days.

Quite an incredible piece of TV

The White Cockade
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Quite an incredible piece of TV

Incredible is an understatement!!

Not sure how they got away with that even in those days

The White Cockade

I remember watching that Edinburgh Swap Shop

There was a hilarious bit with Cheggers talking to an Edinburgh boy where neither could understand what the other was saying

Which football team do you support?

Naebody

Neebdee ? Haven’t heard of them 

then a bit later 

Neebdee is that Scottish for nobody?

Naw just Scotland 

That’s as much as I can remember

Might not look that funny written down but me and my mate still laugh about to this day 😂