*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

We will stick to three at back ( in reality it will be five ).  We must carry a threat though or it is zero points as normal.

Gordon

Souttar        Halkett        Kingsley

Smith           Beni     Haring         Devlin        Cochrane 

Gino              McKay

• Replies 62.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I fear we will get skelped too, our record through in darkheid is absolutely atrocious, no matter who the manager or players are, we always seem to be beat through there before kick off in my view, I think the last time we won there in the league was about 15 years ago! Surely due a win at some point though? We can but hope lol 😆 😅 

Fwiw I would make 3 changes for the game, would bring Cochrane, Moore and Haring in for Halliday, Smith and beni and would set up in a 3-5-2 format with McKay in behind boyce and gms as I think McKays through balls and passes could unlock celtics defence a little if he was more central. Just a thought, we will probably still get pumped 4-0 though as usual.

begs the question.......can any spfl club outwith the ugly sisters hope to get anything in Glasgow? no one has the budget to compete. 

we wouldn't just need to spend £10m on say three players to get close - the bigot brothers have spent millions and millions over decades to be this dominant. 

they also have the luxury of spending millions on players who turn out to be gash. We and others can't do that. Imagine if we'd spent a million to get Woodburn up here permanently? The lad's done OK but hasn't massively stood out and now isn't a first team pick (unless injured). We'd be quite unhappy spending that amount. To the big brothers a £1m signing is like 🤷‍♂️

On 29/11/2021 at 04:12, Jim Panzee said:

begs the question.......can any spfl club outwith the ugly sisters hope to get anything in Glasgow? no one has the budget to compete. 

we wouldn't just need to spend £10m on say three players to get close - the bigot brothers have spent millions and millions over decades to be this dominant. 

they also have the luxury of spending millions on players who turn out to be gash. We and others can't do that. Imagine if we'd spent a million to get Woodburn up here permanently? The lad's done OK but hasn't massively stood out and now isn't a first team pick (unless injured). We'd be quite unhappy spending that amount. To the big brothers a £1m signing is like 🤷‍♂️

Last season, St. Johnstone, Hibs, and Livi took draws at Parkhead while St. Mirren got a win. Looking over recent seasons that's a fairly standard menu for non-OF derbies in Glasgow -- a handful of ties and between 0 and 2 losses.

TBF this isn't enormously different than the performance of better Hearts teams against non-OF clubs in Tynecastle. When we've finished 3rd we've lost 1-4 games vs non-OF opponents at home with a few draws.

I think sometimes the (understandable) fan urge to "have a go" when we go to Glasgow works against Hearts. With our current budget, even with the quality of squad we have now, victories in Glasgow will usually be smash-and-grab jobs. I think we win less there than other SPFL sides because our ambition can get the best of us.

Postie wants to play fast, attacking football. Our first half strategy shouldn't be to throw attackers forward, but to be highly disruptive in the middle of the pitch to wear them out and frustrate them.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Last season, St. Johnstone, Hibs, and Livi took draws at Parkhead while St. Mirren got a win. Looking over recent seasons that's a fairly standard menu for non-OF derbies in Glasgow -- a handful of ties and between 0 and 2 losses.

TBF this isn't enormously different than the performance of better Hearts teams against non-OF clubs in Tynecastle. When we've finished 3rd we've lost 1-4 games vs non-OF opponents at home with a few draws.

I think sometimes the (understandable) fan urge to "have a go" when we go to Glasgow works against Hearts. With our current budget, even with the quality of squad we have now, victories in Glasgow will usually be smash-and-grab jobs. I think we win less there than other SPFL sides because our ambition can get the best of us.

Postie wants to play fast, attacking football. Our first half strategy shouldn't be to throw attackers forward, but to be highly disruptive in the middle of the pitch to wear them out and frustrate them.

100%

We want to go and match them but the truth is we can't. 

It would be a pumping. 

Maybe in the future. 

The Burley side was one that went across with confidence. 

Only side in 30 years tho. It's a big ask. 

Not too mention that celtic will be aware as well as messing thier  league title challenge up we can go above them with a win. 

They'll be well up for putting us in our box, even more  so than they would  be v the likes of Dundee or Ross County. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

InternationalJambo
2 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Absolute peach, league top scorer 

Would certainly take him as back up to Boyce over Gnanduillet next summer, out of contract isn’t he?

Edited by InternationalJambo

1 minute ago, InternationalJambo said:

Would certainly take him as back up to Boyce over Gnanduillet next summer, out of contract isn’t he?

Not sure about his contract situation, but agree would like to see him back. I think he'd quickly push for a start 

Watt is doing good for Motherwell but want him no where near us we need younger and better than watt 

Edited by Kyle1874

InternationalJambo
2 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

Watt is doing good for Motherwell but want him no where near us we need younger and better then watt 

I think it’s more a case of getting him enjoying his football and he’ll produce. Think he’s younger than Gnanduillet?

Edited by InternationalJambo

HeartsandonlyHearts
10 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

Watt is doing good for Motherwell but want him no where near us we need younger and better than watt 

Well that should be easy. 

11 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

I think it’s more a case of getting him enjoying his football and he’ll produce. Think he’s younger than Gnanduillet?

Don’t want gnanduillet here next year but I do understand it’s not easy to get good strikers am sure savage will have a few in mind 

Bazzas right boot

Motherwell keep on impressing me Tbh. 

I'd take Watt back, I liked him with us first time round and in the games I've seen him he's been decent. 

Can probably get better tho. 

21 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

As almost always, a draw is probably best. 2nd best being a low scoring 'Well win.

Yeah definitely a draw would suit, these two fill be the biggest threat for 3rd and 4th with Hibs and Dons well out of it.

HeartsandonlyHearts
Just now, DS98 said:

Just saw we play the Old Firm 4 times in the next 10 games. Wtf is with the fixtures this season??

Newco and #!bs have 3 home games in a row over the season. Newco get their 3 before Christmas and through Boxing Day. What computer came up with that $#!te.

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 minute ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Newco and #!bs have 3 home games in a row over the season. Newco get their 3 before Christmas and through Boxing Day. What computer came up with that $#!te.

#!bs don’t. Sorry. But why the **** would Newco. Money in the bank before the winter break. 🤔

4 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Guessing this has been discussed- Tony Watt on a free?

Why? 

Why, why, why, do we never learn our ****ing lesson about pining after former players. 

Tony Watt was shite for Hearts, absolutely dreadfully shite. He has been the same at every single one of the 12 clubs he has been at: wee purple patch, and then woeful.

His attitude stinks, and this little bit of form for Motherwell will slip away.  Once it gets tough, he's not someone who stands up and makes sure he is counted. Plus, he's actually only averaged a goal every 5 games for them, which is pants. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Why? 

Why, why, why, do we never learn our ****ing lesson about pining after former players. 

Tony Watt was shite for Hearts, absolutely dreadfully shite. He has been the same at every single one of the 12 clubs he has been at: wee purple patch, and then woeful.

His attitude stinks, and this little bit of form for Motherwell will slip away.  Once it gets tough, he's not someone who stands up and makes sure he is counted. Plus, he's actually only averaged a goal every 5 games for them, which is pants. 

Im not saying we should sign Tony watt.

but some of the greatest player in our history have played for us more than once.. 

little boils my pish more than this utter crap that signing former players isn’t something we shouldn’t do.  If they are good enough then we should sign them regardless of whether they have played for us before or no.  

(that doesn’t include Tony Watt)

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Why? 

I generally agree with you but I liked watt, just couldn't get a position for him were he was effective but he was decent in general and showed glimpses of real ability. 

🙄

10 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Why? 

Pundit just described him as, "Former Celtic player". Typical. They often do the same with Hickey. Obsessed, so they are.

To be fair, whilst with us he showed great ball skills but his final pass/shot was always lacking.

InternationalJambo
13 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Why? 

He left us 5-6 years ago. Can clearly see he has developed into a better player than the first time around & he is coming to the peak of his career. I wouldn't be against a two year deal. 

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

but some of the greatest player in our history have played for us more than once.. 

little boils my pish more than this utter crap that signing former players isn’t something we shouldn’t do.  If they are good enough then we should sign them regardless of whether they have played for us before or no.  

That's very true, we shouldn't rule out someone just because they've been here before. 

But just about anyone who leaves the club, within 12 to 18 months of leaving, you'd be forgiven for thinking they were the living footballing reincarnation of Jesus who could do no wrong. 

If we signed Watt again, I would give it 2 matches before the first thread on here started calling his a wage "feef", chicken hearted, or any number of stupid clichés that posters like to use. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, tian447 said:

That's very true, we shouldn't rule out someone just because they've been here before. 

But just about anyone who leaves the club, within 12 to 18 months of leaving, you'd be forgiven for thinking they were the living footballing reincarnation of Jesus who could do no wrong. 

If we signed Watt again, I would give it 2 matches before the first thread on here started calling his a wage "feef", chicken hearted, or any number of stupid clichés that posters like to use. 

100% Agree..

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The ball is sticking now. 

Surley a big almighty scramble in the box is incoming. 

Slightly baffled at Dundee Utd constantly playing it along the deck with the amount of water on the pitch. One stuck pass and they’ll lose it. 

Forever Hearts
25 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Pundit just described him as, "Former Celtic player". Typical. They often do the same with Hickey. Obsessed, so they are.

To be fair, whilst with us he showed great ball skills but his final pass/shot was always lacking.

They don't.  

6 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Good result for us. Stay 3rd regardless what happens on Thursday.

Yup.

Teams are taking points off each other at the moment which is fine.

11 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Marvin Bartley is a media darling these days, how boring can a man be.

Ticks a box for BBC Scotland.    To be fair, he's not the worst studio pundit they've ever subjected us to.

58 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Correct. 👍  The final pass/shot failing could  be directed at loads of other forwards we've had since Watt,  including the current ones.    See the "Shoot !" thread  :whistling: 

1 hour ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Surely not? He didn't even play for their first team. 

He is also referred to as “Celtic target”! 😏

2 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Surely not? He didn't even play for their first team. 

Got to keep the Sellik Da's buying the paper. I'm surprised they don't sneak the word Celtic into random sentences in other parts of the paper. 

It's becoming a feature of this league that just about any team can beat any other team on their day. Makes for a great competition, so maybe we should forgive occasional poor performances like Aberdeen and Motherwell. It looks like a run of two or three victories on the trot would get any team into a strong position for European places, lets hope it starts on Thursday. 

I see the wee team have sold out their cup final allocation of 17.5k tickets. It appears many of them are up in arms about their allocation not being a 50/50 split. A cup final should always be a 50/50 split? 

It seems like Doncaster may be setting a dangerous precedent with this which may impact ourselves in future. 

19 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Charlie Thomson, Tommy Walker, John Robertson, Rudi Skacel, Craig Gordon... and, almost, Dave Mackay! Immortals all.

Maroon Sailor
18 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Marvin Bartley is a media darling these days, how boring can a man be.

Kris Commons is a perfect example of how boring a man can be - looks like he has been launched off punditry duties now though unless he is cropping up on a channel I don't watch

Fozzyonthefence
57 minutes ago, Seriea98 said:

I see the wee team have sold out their cup final allocation of 17.5k tickets. It appears many of them are up in arms about their allocation not being a 50/50 split. A cup final should always be a 50/50 split? 

It seems like Doncaster may be setting a dangerous precedent with this which may impact ourselves in future. 

We’ll be ok as we never get to League Cup finals and the SFA usually give a 50/50 split for Scottish Cup finals where both teams can sell out (hasn’t always been the case in League Cup finals but they’re not under the jurisdiction of the SFA).