*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Arthur Morgan
13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If the other clubs are good enough to take points off the Old Firm they will be good enough to beat us. Saying it helps us to win the league doesn't make any sense.

Exactly this. What we really want is for us to be good enough to regularly take points off the OF. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

• Replies 62.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bazzas right boot
51 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

That's easy for you to say! 😃

**** me. 

The LSD has kicked in early. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If the other clubs are good enough to take points off the Old Firm they will be good enough to beat us. Saying it helps us to win the league doesn't make any sense.

Not if we're better than the OF. 

Roll_Safe.jpg

Mr Elwood P
8 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Exactly this. What we really want is for us to be good enough to regularly take points off the OF. 

Exactly. If we can beat them

at Tynecastle and avoid defeat in Glasgow we don't need to to worry about anyone else. We started last season with a 2-1 v Celtic and 1-1 at Ibrox. Then it fell apart ...

21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Right, but you’re saying it wouldn’t help?  A bit puzzling logic there.

I’d guess other clubs notching a win would be occasional rather than the norm but would still help.  Would you just rather give up and keep the 3,4 times a season scenario or cut it down to 2, home and away?

It may be a small thing, but decades of the old firm strolling to 4 wins over St Mirren, Killie etc….has sucked the belief out clubs who’d normally see themselves as challengers and accept second best.  Accept being 3rd. 

All these extra points from 4 games against everyone has helped the old firm, not hinder and it’s so embedded now.  

ArcticJambo
2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Regarding Savage I’m still concerned about the recruitment this summer we’re still way short for 4 competitions. I know we don’t want any old shite like before but it’s a worry for now.

The back 3 needs game time, Rowles / Halkett / Kingsley presumably the first choice. The right side looks much weaker than the left and Midfield looks unbalanced with Boyce currently without a position. Neilson needs to work this out we don’t have time to chop and change. I still have faith in them all to get it right but I’m of the opinion 3rd is a huge ask this season, the league cup or Europe looks the choice, but hopefully the Scottish is not out our reach.

Good post, pretty much agree with everything, concerning our team.  I wouldn't be as worried if Beni was fit and firing but that ain't realistically happening to the new year. Seasoned right-sided CB and a power forward will do me. I can live with just that.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Right, but you’re saying it wouldn’t help?  A bit puzzling logic there.

I’d guess other clubs notching a win would be occasional rather than the norm but would still help.  Would you just rather give up and keep the 3,4 times a season scenario or cut it down to 2, home and away?

It may be a small thing, but decades of the old firm strolling to 4 wins over St Mirren, Killie etc….has sucked the belief out clubs who’d normally see themselves as challengers and accept second best.  Accept being 3rd. 

All these extra points from 4 games against everyone has helped the old firm, not hinder and it’s so embedded now.  

I haven't mentioned anything about league reconstruction? Perhaps quoted the wrong post. 

30 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Neither was McKay or Forrest. 

The fans enthusiasm isn't a great indicator on quality. Many are pretty clueless and watch too much EPL. 

Osh also came with fireworks with him being a wc star. 

I'd trust Savage and Bob, but I would also like 1 or two Proven stars. 

Not sure punters watching EPL has got much to do with it.

We don't look much stronger than we did last season. There was probably a reasonable expectation amongst the fans that we would make 2 or 3 signings that would significantly improve the first 11. That doesn't seem to be the case. Difficult to fully assess until the window is shut and we see what we've got. 

Hard not to feel slightly underwhelmed with what we've got right now as competition seemed to have improved. Many things worked in our favour last season. We didn't finish on a points total that was out of sequence with the tally that's been enough for third in previous years.

Would give the place a real lift if we could add 2 or 3 really strong players. Davenport on trial doesn't really get the juices flowing when you consider for example that United added Levitt, who probably makes our first 11 better.

Few weeks to go though. No need for any panic. 

Edited by Carter

InternationalJambo
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I expected quality. I didn’t expect the jury to be out on whether we’ve got it or not. I expected to nod and say ‘yep, that’s a really good signing that really improves us’  What we’ve got SO FAR is 4 or 5 mebbes aye mebbes naw, one of whom (Grant) it seems to me that RN doesn’t know where or if to play him. Davenport ? For me we don’t need him. God knows why we’re even looking at him when we’ve already got 5 or 6 options for his position.

Ill leave it there before someone jumps in and reminds me we’ve got 4 weeks left of the window.

Be honest here… How many times have you watched Shankland, grant, Forrest, rowles and davenport play a full 90 for their clubs last season? Was the exact same last season, yourself and others slandered our signings and came back at the end of the season with egg on your face. It’s incredible really how our support are questioning the recruitment after how successful it has been over the previous two windows, I’d imagine it’s because a certain team from across the road have resigned Boyle and are shitting the bed. Numerous people in the game have said we have recruited very well this season so far, why don’t we give it until the first round of fixtures after the window is done to judge these players before acting like spoiled brats, yet again? “Jury is out” deeeery ****ing me🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by InternationalJambo

Watt-Zeefuik

That’s how I feel about it at this moment…….. meh……..given the finances we have at our disposal. Still time of course and we haven’t really seen enough performances yet to confirm meh or otherwise 

To me if our signing window is done, it's definitely meh. Fortunately it looks like we're still a couple more signings to go, and we're aiming high with those at least.

I think we're better because of Shankland, Grant, and Forrest, with the big hole obviously being Souttar's absence, although I think we've got decent cover by committee there. But for it to really be a strong window, we need the signings that the club have already said we're after to come good.

Davenport, Lee, and a Simms-level season loan for RCH would make it a resounding success.

10 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Be honest here… How many times have you watched Shankland, grant, Forrest, rowles and davenport play a full 90 for their clubs last season? Was the exact same last season, yourself and others slandered our signings and came back at the end of the season with egg on your face. It’s incredible really how our support are questioning the recruitment after how successful it has been over the previous two windows, I’d imagine it’s because a certain team from across the road have resigned Boyle and are shitting the bed. Numerous people in the game have said we have recruited very well this season so far, why don’t we give it until the first round of fixtures after the window is done to judge these players before acting like spoiled brats, yet again? “Jury is out” deeeery ****ing me🤦🏻‍♂️

I didn’t slander the signings last season and I haven’t slandered them this season. If you believe without doubt we’ve significantly improved the best starting 11 and the squad overall, having seen them perform ONCE in a game of any import that’s fine. I think the jury is out and I was hoping to be more confident than that, that’s all.

InternationalJambo
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I didn’t slander the signings last season and I haven’t slandered them this season. If you believe without doubt we’ve significantly improved the best starting 11 and the squad overall, having seen them perform ONCE in a game of any import that’s fine. I think the jury is out and I was hoping to be more confident than that, that’s all.

No worries, I respect your opinion. Just give it a little bit of time and don’t be so impatient. You won’t be saying that tomorrow if we knock the fourth in after 60 minutes😉

Edited by InternationalJambo

HeartsandonlyHearts

That’s how I feel about it at this moment…….. meh……..given the finances we have at our disposal. Still time of course and we haven’t really seen enough performances yet to confirm meh or otherwise 

Having extra cash doesn’t guarantee we’ll always get our man. Hearts could offer a player 10,000 a week and he could demand 11,000. We can’t afford to be held to ransom. No matter how short the amount. It just causes issues later. still believe we’ll bring in 2 or 3 more players before August 31. Whether they’re straight up starters or just above average squad players is the question. Not sure we’re at the “holy $#!t I can’t believe we got him” moment just yet.

Another couple of seasons of third and we’ll move up to the next level of signings for us. Europe can be huge for us. Extra money made in Europe can pull us away from other  competitors for many future seasons.

Scottish football and our football media have no issue with the butt cheeks being richer than all others. We need to be the level below that. We’ll never be as rich as them but we can get closer to them with astute signings over the next couple of seasons. I’m quietly confident we’re going in the right direction.
HHGH

20 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

No worries, I respect your opinion. Just give it a little bit of time and don’t be so impatient. You won’t be saying that tomorrow if we knock the fourth in after 60 minutes😉

It’s only Hibs tomorrow mate 😂

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I tend to reserve my opinion for a few months. 

By time World Cup is around we will know the sliding scale of shityness, for both clubs and individuals 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Barack said:

Wise, my Lord.

Well Mr President, it pays to take time over such matters 

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, Carter said:

Not sure punters watching EPL has got much to do with it.

We don't look much stronger than we did last season. There was probably a reasonable expectation amongst the fans that we would make 2 or 3 signings that would significantly improve the first 11. That doesn't seem to be the case. Difficult to fully assess until the window is shut and we see what we've got. 

Hard not to feel slightly underwhelmed with what we've got right now as competition seemed to have improved. Many things worked in our favour last season. We didn't finish on a points total that was out of sequence with the tally that's been enough for third in previous years.

Would give the place a real lift if we could add 2 or 3 really strong players. Davenport on trial doesn't really get the juices flowing when you consider for example that United added Levitt, who probably makes our first 11 better.

Few weeks to go though. No need for any panic. 

Too much for this thread imo.

Tbf, Utd kept Levitt, they had him last season. 

Agreed, time yet. 

highlandjambo3

I see Sportscene premier are showing highlights of todays game, quote “looking back at the afternoons matches  including Celtic's trip to Ross county and, Rangers home clash with Kilmarnock”…….

A more accurate quote from Sportscene should read “ looking back at the afternoons matches including Celtics game against whoever and, Rangers game against we don’t care who they are playing”. 

10 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

I honestly have no idea why folk can't see that Forrest at least is a very good signing.He was great for Livingston and has looked good in pre season for us and was good against Utd.The others ok folk can have a question with them but you know what you are going to get with Forrest over a season.

11 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I didn't say it would help us win the league.

However, if youre going down that road... look at any other league where it's a constant one or two horse race, versus ones that not, and then come back to me.

What happened the year Leicester won the league in England?

What happened when eventually Juventus stopped being invincible the last two seasons?

It is blatantly obvious that for other teams to win the SPL, the Old Firm need to start losing matches. It also means that we would need to have a perfect season - a fluke, for sure - but that would need to coincide with them losing games.

buzzbomb1958
8 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I see Sportscene premier are showing highlights of todays game, quote “looking back at the afternoons matches  including Celtic's trip to Ross county and, Rangers home clash with Kilmarnock”…….

A more accurate quote from Sportscene should read “ looking back at the afternoons matches including Celtics game against whoever and, Rangers game against we don’t care who they are playing”. 

On what I seen yesterday it will be interesting to see if any teams give the uglies a game Celtic looked like they have carried on from last season, but better, Plastic fc look disjointed and they could struggle to win as many games as last season if they have injuries teams will have to press them to stop them feeling comfy on the ball  and really need to go up against them with belief if no it will be same old same old

tokyowalnut

Aberdeen looking good.

I think it’s going to be nip and tick between us, Aberdeen and Utd. Can see it being tight for the other spot in the top 6, Killie and Ross County will have good seasons. Hibs, of course, will be pish. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

I didn't say it would help us win the league.

However, if youre going down that road... look at any other league where it's a constant one or two horse race, versus ones that not, and then come back to me.

What happened the year Leicester won the league in England?

What happened when eventually Juventus stopped being invincible the last two seasons?

It is blatantly obvious that for other teams to win the SPL, the Old Firm need to start losing matches. It also means that we would need to have a perfect season - a fluke, for sure - but that would need to coincide with them losing games.

They would only need to lose to us. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

Aberdeen looking good.

I think it’s going to be nip and tick between us, Aberdeen and Utd. Can see it being tight for the other spot in the top 6, Killie and Ross County will have good seasons. Hibs, of course, will be pish. 

We're getting about 70 points this season. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

They would only need to lose to us. 

In what world would that be preferable? Being in a situation where you literally need to win every match to win the league?

Leicester won the league with a fairly low points total because all the big teams dropped points.

It was still the highest points total they'll probably ever hit though, so for them it was a fluke. They didn't win every game - that would be mental and never happen.

Or look at our own history. In 86 Both Hearts and Celtic won 20, drew 10 and lost 6. Lots of teams took points off both of us, so it wasn't the case at all that the gap just stayed the same.

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

In what world would that be preferable? Being in a situation where you literally need to win every match to win the league?

Leicester won the league with a fairly low points total because all the big teams dropped points.

It was still the highest points total they'll probably ever hit though, so for them it was a fluke. They didn't win every game - that would be mental and never happen.

Or look at our own history. In 86 Both Hearts and Celtic won 20, drew 10 and lost 6. Lots of teams took points off both of us, so it wasn't the case at all that the gap just stayed the same.

Celtic and Rangers only lost 3 games each last season. The only way to win the league is to beat the Old Firm. 21% of Hearts matches are against one of the Old Firm. That is where the marginal games need to come from. Beat everyone else at home, improve the away record and improve our Old Firm performance.

19 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Celtic and Rangers only lost 3 games each last season. The only way to win the league is to beat the Old Firm. 21% of Hearts matches are against one of the Old Firm. That is where the marginal games need to come from. Beat everyone else at home, improve the away record and improve our Old Firm performance.

I mean, you just agreed with me in a roundabout way. So I'll just leave it there.

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Its the really shit thing about playing each other 4 times a season, too many points tied up in Glasgow and diddy teams invariably work out how to sneak a point which over the course of the season turns into a couple extra losses and a few more draws on top of the 8 games against the OF we're lucky to win one. 

1 minute ago, Sarah O said:

Livi 1-0 up

Can't be right, Utd are brilliant and have the best midfield we have ever seen.

ToadKiller Dog
2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Dundee Utd maybe not as strong as people think.

Hopefully its 3 losses in a row for them. 

. Going to be roasting  hot in Holland on Thursday ,they should come back shatterred

Malinga the Swinga
24 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Well they had better buck up ideas as 1 point from 6 isn't great after playing Kilmarnock and Livingston

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well they had better buck up ideas as 1 point from 6 isn't great after playing Kilmarnock and Livingston

Proof if proof was needed that one blood and thunder performance does not a good team make.

Also it's hard to play on Thursday in Europe and win on the Sunday. Folk had best prepare themselves mentality or its going to be tough on here for a few months 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

And here was me thinking that Utd were supposed to have the best midfield ever 😂

More like good evidence of the difficulty playing Europe - league games against teams

that don’t have the same schedule. 

Must admit this new unfounded arrogance of Hearts fans after one season finishing 3rd is highly unappealing 

17 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Proof if proof was needed that one blood and thunder performance does not a good team make.

Also it's hard to play on Thursday in Europe and win on the Sunday. Folk had best prepare themselves mentality or its going to be tough on here for a few months 

Yep, the saying "keep your powder dry" springs to mind with some fans on here.

The Thursday/sunday schedule is ine that plenty teams struggle with, squad depth is essential to maintain a decent level.

Oh dear, the swashbuckling media heroes, including the stuff I endured on Sportsound after golfing on Thursday night, beaten at home to Livi🙃

Surely BBC online has made another mistake by reporting the score. No way is Jack Dross going to let Davy M get one over him!

Dundee Utd result hopefully an eye opener for those that think we will stroll to 3rd again this season. Very tough playing Thursday Sunday. Thought a lot of our team looked dead on their feet at the end of the game today, imagine if they'd played 90 minutes away to Zurich 3 days previously as well.

7 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

Dundee Utd result hopefully an eye opener for those that think we will stroll to 3rd again this season. Very tough playing Thursday Sunday. Thought a lot of our team looked dead on their feet at the end of the game today, imagine if they'd played 90 minutes away to Zurich 3 days previously as well.

Aye it's going to be hard.Even for top top squads they all bemoan having to play Thursday Sunday.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

but but they are tired from thursdays game, 😒.

RustyRightPeg

Think Rangers have given a lot of us false hope. Take nothing away from them, they were ridiculously well treated last year and in fairness to them they must have a squad that are fit as and look after themselves well and are looked after well in recovery sessions etc. 

We will need to step it up. 

Bazzas right boot

Good to see Utd beat. 

A draw at killie and a loss to livi. 

Hopefully folk can calm down and not entertain the thought of Jack Ross's tangerine terror machine destroying everything in it's path. 

KyleLafferty

Dundee United will be away to AZ on Thursday hanging onto that 1 nil. Hopefully they get gubbed and we play them Sunday. They don’t have a big squad at all 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, VALDOS' said:

The Thursday/sunday schedule is ine that plenty teams struggle with, squad depth is essential to maintain a decent level.

Over played on here imo 

Good and fit players will be fine. 

A little rotation will be required, but it's 90 minutes of football not 12 hour shifts down the mines. 

Hopefully our players are fit enough and want to play in these games, if not we need better players and are recruiting the wrong types. 

Utd just aren't that good as many though after 1 result v AZ and a, draw v Killie. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, VALDOS' said:

Over played on here imo 

Good and fit players will be fine. 

A little rotation will be required, but it's 90 minutes of football not 12 hour shifts down the mines. 

We have a decent squad relative to the SPFL. 

Hopefully our players are fit enough and want to play in these games, if not we need better players and are recruiting the wrong types. 

Utd just aren't that good as many though after 1 result v AZ and a draw v killie

Edited by Bazzas right boot