*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Captain Sausage
1 hour ago, Boof said:

102nd Milne Cup

Orkney 0 -1 Shetland

Perfect result for Shetland's new (Hearts-supporting and occasionally on here) manager, Neil Fenwick.

I played central midfield against Aitken a few years ago when Shetland were training against the locals sides. Guys different class. Glad to see the Orcadians put in their place. 

• Replies 61.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

manaliveits105

Seems to be a distinct lack of reporting of the scenes outside darkheid today - looks like tv been got at by liewell to stay quiet 

So STV have an article online about gathering outside with pyrotechnics but the news bulletin says it was largely adhered to with no mention of it...

Plenty groups been meeting up on my Facebook. I guess we'll see the damage in a couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Why didnt the cops arrest and charge them then?

Indeed. The police should have given them a rocket.

ToadKiller Dog

I hear that the largest ever crowd was recorded today  at the "fountain of youth stadium"  for a Hamilton v st johnstone match  .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

3 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

I played central midfield against Aitken a few years ago when Shetland were training against the locals sides. Guys different class. Glad to see the Orcadians put in their place. 

Game takes forever.  The horned helmets keep bursting the ball.

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye well the wank has brewer's droop because the tramps Hibsed it. 

They are getting it up them in two weeks time.

:fth:

In fairness, it was a tremendous performance for the Lochend side.  Not every team goes to Dingwall and manages to score 0.

One of those elite fixtures that we can only dream about.

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, Boof said:

Not sure, Mr R - @jamboy1982 might be able to help?

Neil is an Edinburgh lad originally.

Fair do's! Used to know him from the old days, following Hearts.

I'm sure Eddie's nephew was (might still) on here at one time. I think he said he was a plasterer. (or maybe it was plastered) 😞

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Game takes forever.  The horned helmets keep bursting the ball.

The "Cruden" never wore horned helmets Colin, thats an urban myth that grew with whatever book it was calling them Vikings, Vikings is a 19th century word. Most Cruden would wear helmets and some were adorned with bird wings.

Sportscene tonight. 
Scott Brown touched the ball once. (Short free kick). He was playing in front of defence. Didn’t mark a single player. Lost every challenge. 
the longer his mate Lennon keeps him in the team the better. 

9 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

The "Cruden" never wore horned helmets Colin, thats an urban myth that grew with whatever book it was calling them Vikings, Vikings is a 19th century word. Most Cruden would wear helmets and some were adorned with bird wings.

I actually knew that but wings don't burst balls.  🙄

Edited by colinmaroon

13 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

The nick o speccy fat man in the white 

stereotype Tim 

He's wisely avoided the hoops. Well known as unflattering for the fuller figure. 

SectionDJambo
28 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Fans of both clubs welcome by the "hail hail" nitwit who organised this idiotic trip. However, the coach had to stop 4 times as fights broke out. 

Must have been a dream day out.

ToadKiller Dog
52 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

I thought Carlisle was now under tier 3 (ie pubs are shut)? 

Think they are tier 2 in Cumbria .

Blackpool is in tier 3 i think.

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

I won't be looking at all the Old Firm post match discussion.

But it strikes me Celtic are more interested in finances because there's a player they could have signed with an extra £5 million they were unwilling to pay.

11 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

This text would appear to suggest otherwise. 

In the Anglo-Saxon poem, Widsith from around the 9th century, a word similar to the word Vikings is mentioned and that is the word ”Wicings”. This word could refer to the word Vikings, however, the word does not seem to be explained.

Plus Snorri Sturluson's writings in Egil's Saga from the 13th century, referencing Egil's life in the 10th.

On 17/10/2020 at 12:52, Jap Jambo said:

trying to listen to off the ball but can only get the biggot brothers online at both MW & FM despite what the GBC is advertising...

Finally

16 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Fair do's! Used to know him from the old days, following Hearts.

I'm sure Eddie's nephew was (might still) on here at one time. I think he said he was a plasterer. (or maybe it was plastered) 😞

"Old" Eddie sits behind me in the Wheatfield and "young" Eddie is indeed a plasterer.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I won't be looking at all the Old Firm post match discussion.

But it strikes me Celtic are more interested in finances because there's a player they could have signed with an extra £5 million they were unwilling to pay.

Likewise for around £5-6m they could have bought Hickey and McGinn as perfect replacements for Tierney and Brown. Instead they pay over £7m for more forwards they don't play when they've got Scotland's best striker in Griffiths on their books if they knew how to manage him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Horatio Caine
4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Fans of both clubs welcome by the "hail hail" nitwit who organised this idiotic trip. However, the coach had to stop 4 times as fights broke out. 

Must have been a dream day out.

I hope the organiser and the bus company get well and truly done for this, plus asked to supply a list of all who travelled.

Equally, the pub in Carlisle should have turned them away at the door.  Arseholes.

The Treasurer

I think the GB should be congratulated as their actions in gathering in large numbers and setting off pyrotechnics outside the ground will ensure that any chance of fans being able to go back to games is well and truly killed stone dead 

J.T.F.Robertson
43 minutes ago, iainmac said:

"Old" Eddie sits behind me in the Wheatfield and "young" Eddie is indeed a plasterer.

Ta, Iain.

Not sure if Eddie, senior, would remember me as it was many moons ago. To be honest I can't even mind what he looked like but I do remember the name.

I have had a couple of conversations with young Eddie on here, a while back.

Jim

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Likewise for around £5-6m they could have bought Hickey and McGinn as perfect replacements for Tierney and Brown. Instead they pay over £7m for more forwards they don't play when they've got Scotland's best striker in Griffiths on their books if they knew how to manage him.

And £5m to downgrade their keeper 

I think Rangers are clearly the better side. They have comprehensively outplayed Celtic in their last 3 meetings. I would also say they appear to be a far better coached team. They're superior to Celtic in terms of Euro performances.

The bookies too now deem Rangers the better team and have installed them as odds on favourites for the title at 8/11 with Celtic evens.

I think Rangers could beat Celtic more often than not either home or away but that wont necessarily win a title. They still have to prove they can beat the rest so consistently as Celtic do.

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, Boof said:

In the Anglo-Saxon poem, Widsith from around the 9th century, a word similar to the word Vikings is mentioned and that is the word ”Wicings”. This word could refer to the word Vikings, however, the word does not seem to be explained.

Plus Snorri Sturluson's writings in Egil's Saga from the 13th century, referencing Egil's life in the 10th.

You'll likely ken more than me Boof given where you reside. I stayed in Cruden Bay for a bit and the locals were very proud that the village name had been changed from Port Errol to celebrate their heritage.

part_time_jambo
23 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Why didnt the cops arrest and charge them then?

Exactly what my wife asked me earlier. The sooner blatant breaches of Covid restrictions are dealt with by fines, instead of yet another slap on the wrist, the sooner this virus will be conquered.

part_time_jambo
23 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Who takes a toddler to something like that? Should be protecting them, not endangering them.

7 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Exactly what my wife asked me earlier. The sooner blatant breaches of Covid restrictions are dealt with by fines, instead of yet another slap on the wrist, the sooner this virus will be conquered.

Sorry not trying to be contrarian but what exactly does that mean and how do you conquer a virus by issuing fines?

This is right up there with Sturgeon's idea that "we can eliminate the virus even if we can't eradicate it" or that the virus "likes to jump" lol. We need to be far more careful with our language over what we are trying to achieve here, as it's driving both fear and unrealistic expectations.

part_time_jambo
1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

Sorry not trying to be contrarian but what exactly does that mean and how do you conquer a virus by issuing fines?

This is right up there with Sturgeon's idea that "we can eliminate the virus even if we can't eradicate it" or that the virus "likes to jump" lol. We need to be far more careful with our language over what we are trying to achieve here, as it's driving both fear and unrealistic expectations.

It's simple really. If I was fined £10000 for holding a house party, or £1000 for attending one, I wouldn't do it again, and I'm sure most people would be the same. If people don't congregate so much, there is less chance of the virus spreading, and the sooner it will be conquered.

will-i-am-a-jambo
12 hours ago, Boof said:

Slightly off topic but Dont know if it's been mentioned already but the word Viking, actually means to go raiding and doesn't refer to an actual race of people. So the correct term is to go a Viking.

6 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Slightly off topic but Dont know if it's been mentioned already but the word Viking, actually means to go raiding and doesn't refer to an actual race of people. So the correct term is to go a Viking.

Germans-Nazi

Scandinavians-Viking

On 17/10/2020 at 19:24, Mikey1874 said:

The pandering to these ***** by the authorities is unbelievable. 
Cops standing doing nothing yet you get kicked out of the away end at Parkhead for opening a crisp packet too loudly. 

Can anyone genuinely believe that would have been tolerated had it been us on Gorgie Road? 

Craig Herbertson
On 18/10/2020 at 11:22, Boof said:

Eddison's translation?

Edited by Craig Herbertson