Scottish football corruption

Tynieman

Mods - feel free to delete this thread if you think is a duplication.

Over the years (I’m 31 now), it’s become more and more obvious to me just how corrupt our national sport is.

It’s never been more apparent than recent events, but everything from the voting system to that of where we find ourselves today, it’s so blatant it is literally unbelievable at times.

The system, set up purely for the benefit of the bigot brothers (one of which as we know, are a reincarnation of a former club, who were allowed to enter the league against all precedence and against all rules), has been ongoing for as long as I can remember.

I see on the main thread, that many of us are cancelling sky sports, boycotting away games etc. But what else can be done against Doncaster and co? Who selects the employment of these people? and more importantly - who evaluates whether their performance is competent? It’s just a job for the boys are far as I’m concerned.

I have a family member that who, for some unknown reason, is a Celtic fan. Anytime I try to discuss the state or Scottish football, it falls ok deaf ears, like most of these supporters. 

It isn’t just about football - these two vile clubs poison our society with their bigotry, yet nothing is done. They continue to be supported by the people that be in charge. Even our tv deals are set up with them in mind, whilst the rest of the clubs scrap for the crumbs.

Can someone remind me of the game in the Spanish League a while ago when there was a banner along the lines of “we don’t want to end up like the SPL” - I believe it had to do with something regarding a suggestion they change their voting system? That says it all to me. 

The reason I started this thread is I question - What else can be done to highlight corruption and find change to Scottish football, our national sport, or do we just have to admit defeat and accept it will be corrupt forever?

Just a last point... FTH

Edited by Tynieman

Harry Potter
3 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Over the years (I’m 31 now), it’s become more and more obvious to me just how corrupt our national sport is.

It’s never been more apparent than recent events, but everything from the voting system to that of where we find ourselves today, it’s so blatant it is literally unbelievable at times.

The system, set up purely for the benefit of the big brothers (one of which as we know are a reincarnation of a former club, who were allowed to enter the league against all precedence and against all rules), has been ongoing for as long as I can remember.

I see on the main thread, that many of us are cancelling sky sports, boycotting away games etc. But what else can be done against Doncaster and co? Who employs these people - and more importantly - who evaluates whether their performance is competent.

I have a family member that who, for some unknown reason, is a Celtic fan. Anytime I try to discuss the state or Scottish football, it falls ok deaf ears, like most of these supporters. 

It isn’t just about football - these two vile clubs poison our society with their bigotry, yet nothing is done. 

Can someone remind me of the game in the Spanish League a while ago when there was a banner along the lines of “we don’t want to end up like the SPL” - I believe it had to do with something regarding a suggestion they change their voting system.

What else can be done to highlight and change Scottish football, or do we have to admit defeat and just accept it will be corrupt forever?

Just a last point... FTH

Look at some of the ref decisions over the years, enough said, 

19 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Look at some of the ref decisions over the years, enough said, 

Sadly, we can never win that argument; but we've all witnessed it. I remember watching from behind the goals with Beaton actually smirking as he deliberately wound up the Hearts fans. As for the typical scenario of multiple rubbish decisions that swing the game in the favour of e.g. Celtic (blatent off-sides missed, 50/50 decisions almost all going against, pulling the game back rather than play advantage as Hearts break forward etc) and then, when the game's done & dusted, awarding Hearts a few consolation free-kicks & throw-ins in safe places. Evens itself out over the course of the season? Aye, right. Sadly, teams outwith the so-called Old Firm have to avoid 'giving refs a decision to make' in order to stand any chance. That's the way it is.

The only way you see Scottish football change is if both celtic and rangers join some other league. It removes the whole cancer.

It takes more than a thread on a hearts fans forum that's for sure. 

However the monopoly lies in Glasgow and it will always stay there as that's where most of the population in Scotland lies. 

It will take a lot of investment from someone that wants to overtake the old firms duopoly. 

No one is stupid enough to plough 100million into hearts and win this league. 

The sfa and the old firm powers will do everything and more to stop it. 

There is no leadership anywhere because no one has the power to challenge it

17 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

However the monopoly lies in Glasgow and it will always stay there as that's where most of the population in Scotland lies. 

It will take a lot of investment from someone that wants to overtake the old firms duopoly. 

No it doesn't.

Edited by graygo

Jambos_1874

On the voting system, did we not have the opportunity to change that several years ago i.e. ensure that it was not 11-1? Although I put the vast majority of the blame on the OF, Hearts and the other clubs have not covered ourselves in glory over the years. There is an absence of leadership at every level in Scotland both now and historically, although I think Budge bucks that trend.

Edited by Jambos_1874

1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

On the voting system, did we not have the opportunity to change that several years ago i.e. ensure that it was not 11-1? Although I put the vast majority of the blame on the OF, Hearts and the other clubs have not covered ourselves in glory over the years. There is an absence of leadership at every level in Scotland both now and historically, although I think Budge bucks that trend.

I think this was in the cards after rangers were reincarnated into the 3rd division. 

Sadly i think Aberdeen shat the bed and sides with Celtic to shoot it down. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No obvious signs that there's enough strength in numbers to challenge Celtic off the field so no hope on it

The Scottish game has and will always be corrupt as long as we have the GFA at the top, people like Dungcaster who dances to the tune of Liewell and others who only have self preservation in mind will never take our game forward, as long as we have the 2 erse cheeks our game will never prosper,

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 hour ago, waterboy11 said:

I think this was in the cards after rangers were reincarnated into the 3rd division. 

Sadly i think Aberdeen shat the bed and sides with Celtic to shoot it down. 

I get the impression the mutton molesters thought (in a deluded sense) they would be the 2nd best team in the league for the foreseeable at that point and have the power that Rangers had. It was always a matter of time before the Huns got back to the top table sadly.

manaliveits105

Scottish Football is absolutely corrupt from top to bottom aided and abetted by weak media who are complicit 

13 hours ago, graygo said:

No it doesn't.

Erm greater Glasgow houses 87% of  the entire Scottish population. If you want to go down the stats route the streach of the M8 Edinburgh - Glasgow is responsible for 91% of Scotlands population. 

Glasgow is very much so where most of Scotlands people live. 

But don't let facts get in the way of this discussion. 

Facts don't care about your feelings 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

Erm greater Glasgow houses 87% of  the entire Scottish population. If you want to go down the stats route the streach of the M8 Edinburgh - Glasgow is responsible for 91% of Scotlands population. 

If the population of Scotland is 5.2M and the population of Edinburgh is 600,000, Abeedeen 250,00, Dundee 192,000. How does 87% of the Scottish Population live in greater Glasgow?

The game in this country is ****** and will be for the foreseeable.

The only way to change it is to remove the cause of the problem, the old firm and their lackeys that 'run' the shit show that is the SPFL.

There really is no hope for the game.

16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If the population of Scotland is 5.2M and the population of Edinburgh is 600,000, Abeedeen 250,00, Dundee 192,000. How does 87% of the Scottish Population live in greater Glasgow?

I'm getting my information from the ONS and the Scottish govt census page. 

In a GL postcode region there are 1.67 million people. Factor in the entire corridor across Central Scotland then you have over 3.5 million people living in only 60 miles of land. 

If you look at the west Lothian councils website and its economic profile analysis on demographic you will see that year on year the growth happening along the streach of land that used to seperate us from Glasgow. 

Studied along with mapping projections simulate that by 2050 Scotland will have a population boom and the 48 or so miles in between Edinburgh and Glasgow will be more economically asset rich. Resources will be required for expansion rivaling that of the hs2 line between London and Manchester. 

In financial terms the region is projected to make a government (either one) almost a trillion.

There are YouTube videos on Scotland's population demographics. 

Potentially if the UK or Scotland managed to sort its shit out. Roll out an insentive to breed instead of asking for mass migration to the island regionally and nationally longer term it would benefit the next generation. 

However just like the SPFL and Scottish football it will never realise its potential 

3 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Absolute pish and renders anything else you've said irrelevant.

Greater Glasgow population - 1.2 million

Scotland population - 5.5 million

In what branch of arithmetic is that 91%?

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Scottish Football is absolutely corrupt from top to bottom aided and abetted by weak media who are complicit 

In a nutshell. 

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

You'd do well to at least get them correct. 

SwindonJambo
4 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

What absolute utter nonsense. I’m Lanarkshire born and bred. The total population of the old Strathclyde, including Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Renfrewshire and Dunbartonshire is around 2.5 million. And that covers a big geographic spread of land and coastline. It’s the biggest single concentration of population with around 2 and a bit million people easily able to travel into Central Glasgow by train in under an hour but only  around 40-45% of the population in total. With quickish  rail links from the likes of Falkirk, Livi & Bathgate which are not in old Strathclyde but enable the horrible OF to attract even more fans as close proximity, you’re looking at 3 odd million within easy reach. Unfortunately the football fans of those places still tend to look to the OF.

Edited by SwindonJambo

John Findlay
4 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

In a GL postcode region there are 1.67 million people. Factor in the entire corridor across Central Scotland then you have over 3.5 million people living in only 60 miles of land. 

If you look at the west Lothian councils website and its economic profile analysis on demographic you will see that year on year the growth happening along the streach of land that used to seperate us from Glasgow. 

Studied along with mapping projections simulate that by 2050 Scotland will have a population boom and the 48 or so miles in between Edinburgh and Glasgow will be more economically asset rich. Resources will be required for expansion rivaling that of the hs2 line between London and Manchester. 

In financial terms the region is projected to make a government (either one) almost a trillion.

Potentially if the UK or Scotland managed to sort its shit out. Roll out an insentive to breed instead of asking for mass migration to the island regionally and nationally longer term it would benefit the next generation. 

However just like the SPFL and Scottish football it will never realise its potential 

87% was completely incorrect. Unless you are including West Lothian, Lanarkshire as greater Glasgow.

TyphoonJambo
59 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

87% was completely incorrect. Unless you are including West Lothian, Lanarkshire as greater Glasgow.

Is it only me that struggles with the words "great" and "Glasgow" being in the same sentance? 

8 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Is it only me that struggles with the words "great" and "Glasgow" being in the same sentance? 

In a footballing sense then probably yes.

To answer the OP's question, nothing can be done, the last few months is all the proof you need, we tried but now we just have to "take our medicine"!

Tommy Brown
10 hours ago, John Findlay said:

If you lived in West Lothian, John.

You would soon realise that it is a part of Greater Glasgow.

Obviously I'm jesting, but the more I think about it I'm not.

In a football sense it is, as is most of Scotland sadly.

On 31/07/2020 at 16:34, Tynieman said:

The system, set up purely for the benefit of the bigot brothers (one of which as we know, are a reincarnation of a former club, who were allowed to enter the league against all precedence and against all rules), has been ongoing for as long as I can remember.

I see on the main thread, that many of us are cancelling sky sports, boycotting away games etc. But what else can be done against Doncaster and co? Who selects the employment of these people? and more importantly - who evaluates whether their performance is competent? It’s just a job for the boys are far as I’m concerned.

It isn’t just about football - these two vile clubs poison our society with their bigotry, yet nothing is done. They continue to be supported by the people that be in charge. Even our tv deals are set up with them in mind, whilst the rest of the clubs scrap for the crumbs.

Can someone remind me of the game in the Spanish League a while ago when there was a banner along the lines of “we don’t want to end up like the SPL” - I believe it had to do with something regarding a suggestion they change their voting system? That says it all to me. 

The reason I started this thread is I question - What else can be done to highlight corruption and find change to Scottish football, our national sport, or do we just have to admit defeat and accept it will be corrupt forever?

Just a last point... FTH

They also buy up the best of the opposition and stick them in the reserves or put them out on loan 

Ruined many a young Scottish player over the years especially the recent rising stars at Motherwell and Killie  😡

On 31/07/2020 at 17:40, Restonbabe said:

Wouldn't take 100million. Vlad tried. If not for some stupid, egotistical decisions he quite possibly wouldve succeeded. We split the old firm, we have MASSIVE potential. Whether we are ever allowed to realise that potential only time will tell. I suspect the old firm mafiosa will see that we don't sadly

The 11-1 voting system is an absolute disgrace! It makes it impossible for any change to happen, it should be more like 9-3 or 8-4 or something along those lines, Until this changes nothing will ever improve in Scotland.

Unfortunately i am now convinced Scottish football will always be a backwater after the recent shenanigans! Its 100% the member clubs fault! Too much self interest! No one wants change they are all too happy to accept the Old Firm coin! Its hugely frustrating! And kind of puts me off football, If it wasn't for hearts i would honestly be done with it.

Libertarian
23 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Glasgow’s population has been declining for decades as has the population of many of the neighbouring local authorities,particularly to the west of the city. Edinburgh’s population on the other hand continues to grow and the capital is predicted to overtake Glasgow by 2037 and some estimates predict Edinburgh to have a population of 750,000 within a few years of that. Both East and Midlothian, which neighbour the city are the fastest growing local authorities,in terms of population, in Scotland.

Tommy Brown
5 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

The 11-1 voting system is an absolute disgrace! It makes it impossible for any change to happen, it should be more like 9-3 or 8-4 or something along those lines, Until this changes nothing will ever improve in Scotland.

Unfortunately i am now convinced Scottish football will always be a backwater after the recent shenanigans! Its 100% the member clubs fault! Too much self interest! No one wants change they are all too happy to accept the Old Firm coin! Its hugely frustrating! And kind of puts me off football, If it wasn't for hearts i would honestly be done with it.

Pretty much how we all feel.

ECL is the major problem. 

Clubs earn enough from it to be able stroll the domestic league.

Anything that threatens the stranglehold will never get voted through.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pretty much how we all feel.

ECL is the major problem. 

Clubs earn enough from it to be able stroll the domestic league.

Anything that threatens the stranglehold will never get voted through.

Its been something that has been horrendously thought out by FIFA/UEFA. 

I can't say i'm massively keen on American sports, but they do make a consorted effort to try and ensure a more level playing field. 

Perhaps wage caps tied to the success of your league could be a first step in trying to address inequalities domestically. 

Each league could have an average spend per player and it comes down to how they want to allocate their wages (i.e could sign one really good player for £20k p/w but to maintain the average can only sign other players on £2k p/w. or be more consistent in several decent players on £5k p/w)

The above isn't the best idea, but there has to be a better way forward. 

Sport is interesting because there is an unknown variable to it, but money has eroded that. Its not about individual clubs finding ways to build value because money ultimately beats all. I think the only fix is finding a way to negate the involvement of money in the game. 

vladisacoward
On 31/07/2020 at 16:34, Tynieman said:

Just a last point... FTH

It will be corrupt forever. It’s a charade. A shambolic, now largely pointless farce. Was half decent 20+ years ago but has been on the decline for a long time and the last few months, even by Scottish football standards, are a historic nadir. If I won a euromillions quadruple jackpot rollover, I’d spend an inordinate amount of time plotting to have Hamden destroyed with most of its occupants from the SFA and spfl in it and then I’d move on to having as many clubs closed down as possible. Obviously, there would be financial help for the 16 clubs who did the morally right, sporting integrity bound thing. The rest can die as far as I’m concerned and the sooner and more disruptive the better.

7 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

Wouldn't take 100million. Vlad tried. If not for some stupid, egotistical decisions he quite possibly wouldve succeeded. We split the old firm, we have MASSIVE potential. Whether we are ever allowed to realise that potential only time will tell. I suspect the old firm mafiosa will see that we don't sadly

The problem is that we don't have enough resources over the rest to cement a perennial position as third force from which to occasionally put it all together to split them. 

Selected turnover, 2019

Aberdeen: £15.9m 
Hearts: £15.1m 
Hibs: £9.6m (Accounts, Oct 18 - no 2019 accounts)
Motherwell: £6.84m

Kilmarnock: £6.64m 

Celtic: £83.4m 
Rangers: £53.2m 

Depressing stuff. 

SomethingAboutObua

It’ll never happen but I’d like our teams, either all 40 or just the professional teams (including Falkirk and Partick) to say right this is obviously not working, we’re breaking away unless the voting majority is changed to 10-2 and prize money is re-structured.

We have a heavily criticised voting structure that can’t be changed because of the current voting at structure? And the gap in prize money between 1st and 3rd is bigger than the gap between 3rd and 12th? How does that work?

More realistically-

Investing in refereeing outside of Glasgow and Lanarkshire, improving the entire refereeing system tbh. We need to take out the opportunities for referees to be accused of bias etc and a glaring one has to increasing the number of non-OF fans refereeing at the top.   

I want us to get behind the full accountability(?) for fans thing , I thought it was too harsh on teams like us but we should be supporting it anyway. Might finally punish those 2 for the crap they bring to Scottish football.  

2 hours ago, vladisacoward said:

It will be corrupt forever. It’s a charade. A shambolic, now largely pointless farce. Was half decent 20+ years ago but has been on the decline for a long time and the last few months, even by Scottish football standards, are a historic nadir. If I won a euromillions quadruple jackpot rollover, I’d spend an inordinate amount of time plotting to have Hamden destroyed with most of its occupants from the SFA and spfl in it and then I’d move on to having as many clubs closed down as possible. Obviously, there would be financial help for the 16 clubs who did the morally right, sporting integrity bound thing. The rest can die as far as I’m concerned and the sooner and more disruptive the better.

It sounds like you are as bitter as myself, maybe more!

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, vladisacoward said:

At least you have a plan, just need that euro win 🤔.

Fort Vallance

OP is 31. I'm 64 and it sounds like what I was spouting when I was 31. Some things change but Scottish Football stays the same. 

John Findlay

Corruption will currently be on full show at Celtic Park as I type.

I'm watching Warhorse on BBC1.

Rocky jamboa

The refereeing set up is a joke. I believe there are no refs from outwith the greater glasgow area - none from Edinburgh, dundee or aberdeen!

Rangers and celtic fans refereeing their own teams games. Dodgy AF but that's how they want to keep it. No wonder they voted against VAR. 

Until there is a big shake up of the SFA and SPFL, and it stops being all about rangers and celtic, nothing will change, the leagues will continue to be rubbish and the national team will continue not to qualify for finals.

As others have said, it almost makes you want to give up on scottish football if it wasnt for the JT's. 

weegie jambo

This is a really interesting debate. I, for one am totally sick of the game in Scotland and so depressed about the state of things. Given that we have just had a seismic event in the history of the game and the chance to turn the spotlight on the corrupt governance but the powers that be were not up for debate and we return to the same old corrupt status quo, aided and abetted by the complicit media, sweep, sweep, nothing to see, move along. The chances of any meaningful debate about change are slim as long as Liewell keeps pulling the strings and celtic* keep their ugly monopoly. The clubs have no appetite for it, know your place and take the green/blue pound when you can, grab a few crumbs from the table. With all this in mind the only way that there may be change is if another club (i.e.Hearts) win the league. Fanciful I know, but even the complicit media could not ignore a title from a third force. This I feel would put us in the spotlight and maybe give us a platform to start a debate on change for good. As someone has said before, we were in with a great chance in 2005/6 and were it not for Vlad and his interference we were in with a real shout of pulling it off. We had the players, in Burley we had the coach, could we do it again?  We need the money, yes, we need an upgrade on players, in a few areas, yes, doable, hell yes. The ugly sisters are as nowhere as strong as they were back then. We have a progressive owner with rich friends and the worlds best support, loyal and galvanized. It's the only way I can see a way forward right now.

Pipe dream or realistic idea? 

Lone Striker
On 02/08/2020 at 12:42, Gizmo said:

The problem is that we don't have enough resources over the rest to cement a perennial position as third force from which to occasionally put it all together to split them. 

Selected turnover, 2019

Aberdeen: £15.9m 
Hearts: £15.1m 
Hibs: £9.6m (Accounts, Oct 18 - no 2019 accounts)
Motherwell: £6.84m

Kilmarnock: £6.64m 

Celtic: £83.4m 
Rangers: £53.2m 

Depressing stuff. 

..... all of whom finished well ahead of us in each of the last 3 seasons.  Even if we doubled our turnover  to   £30m, would it be spent in such a way as to deliver 3rd place ?       We need to realise that money is in not a reliable indicator of  rank or performance when it comes to football.

Lone Striker
On 01/08/2020 at 07:51, Restonbabe said:

The "Central Belt"  is not the same as "Greater Glasgow" ...... hence why the folk are questioning your figures.   I think the point you're trying to make is valid ....  but just not to the extent your figures suggest. 

5 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

..... all of whom finished well ahead of us in each of the last 3 seasons.  Even if we doubled our turnover  to   £30m, would it be spent in such a way as to deliver 3rd place ?       We need to realise that money is in not a reliable indicator of  rank or performance when it comes to football.

The point, which you seemed to blindly miss, is that the margins are far bigger between 1st and 3rd, than 4th and 12th.

This is reality, even if we've made a pigs ear of recruitment. 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

The point, which you seemed to blindly miss, is that the margins are far bigger between 1st and 3rd, than 4th and 12th.

This is reality, even if we've made a pigs ear of recruitment. 

Yes - I did notice that.  But in a way, thats irrelevant.    Oldco Rangers used to have a bigger income than Celtic .......  now reversed.  Do any of us care about them ?  

The more important thing is the gap between them and  3rd - absolutely massive, regardless of whether 3rd is Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hearts or  Killie  ..... all of whom have finished 3rd in the last 4 years.   So within all the non-OF clubs, income is  not the major factor in determining the league ranking.   Look at St.Johnstone "finishing" marginally above Hibs on a third of their turnover - good coaching and a tightly motivated squad can compensate in a big way for low income (e.g. Livi).  That was the point I was trying to make previously.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes - I did notice that.  But in a way, thats irrelevant.    Oldco Rangers used to have a bigger income than Celtic .......  now reversed.  Do any of us care about them ?  

The more important thing is the gap between them and  3rd - absolutely massive, regardless of whether 3rd is Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hearts or  Killie  ..... all of whom have finished 3rd in the last 4 years.   So within all the non-OF clubs, income is  not the major factor in determining the league ranking.   Look at St.Johnstone "finishing" marginally above Hibs on a third of their turnover - good coaching and a tightly motivated squad can compensate in a big way for low income (e.g. Livi).  That was the point I was trying to make previously.

I think that, over the long term, income is a major factor in league places.