Time to bin Private Hire Car promotion

kelosom

Now that we as a club have suffered first hand the result of a selfish society is now the time for us to become a truly moral club and cut our association and promotion of private hire car use.

3 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Why is it any worse than a black cab?

Because black cabbies pay loads more for their uncomfortable diesels and claim not to use sat nav in their justification for higher fares and competition from private hires is affecting their undeclared earnings?

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Why is it any worse than a black cab?

I can answer that one. In a black cab, you are the required distance away from each other, plus there is a Perspex screen between the driver and passenger. A thing that I’ve always wondered about since the start of this lockdown, is why they were even on the road. Obviously I’m biased, I’m not going to deny it. Since then, most people have been adhering to the strict guidelines of the distance guidelines and not been able to work and as a result of this their businesses have collapsed and some have lost their jobs. This was put in place to stop the spread of it and try to get back to some kind of normality as quickly as possible. Yet  throughout this process, the phc have been picking people up with no masks (some do) and sitting right next to each other. The passenger then gets out and the next one would then get it and sit right beside them again. They could have been one of the worst spreaders of this during that time. 

doctor jambo
2 hours ago, kila said:

Are you a black cabbie?

NOt sure what his race really has to do with it.....

Theres too many taxis in Edinburgh, also the police need to clamp down on the dodgy driving, parking wherever they want and the general bad ass attitude they seem to have towards other road users.

The Internet
15 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Can you call Cabs"Black" theses days? 

Can't do anything these days

3fingersreid
3 hours ago, Herbert said:

Theres too many taxis in Edinburgh, also the police need to clamp down on the dodgy driving, parking wherever they want and the general bad ass attitude they seem to have towards other road users.

There are more phc and uber than black cabs now , so much for a council that wants to cut vehicle emissions . 

Taxis in Edinburgh are like the NHS in that they are fair to all, they do not discriminate against any person with mobility issues. To offer this equality the vehicles are purpose built and or adapted and as such are more expensive. Everyone using taxis spreads the cost equally across society.

The Private Hire Car does not offer this equality and uses cheaper cars and wage suppression to offer discounts and in Hearts Case they are telling supporters to not consider equality and think of yourself and the driver will donate a proportion of his wage to Hearts. Private Hire use is just the same as all those self centred chairmen we have been berating.

Konrad von Carstein
5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I can answer that one. In a black cab, you are the required distance away from each other, plus there is a Perspex screen between the driver and passenger. A thing that I’ve always wondered about since the start of this lockdown, is why they were even on the road. Obviously I’m biased, I’m not going to deny it. Since then, most people have been adhering to the strict guidelines of the distance guidelines and not been able to work and as a result of this their businesses have collapsed and some have lost their jobs. This was put in place to stop the spread of it and try to get back to some kind of normality as quickly as possible. Yet  throughout this process, the phc have been picking people up with no masks (some do) and sitting right next to each other. The passenger then gets out and the next one would then get it and sit right beside them again. They could have been one of the worst spreaders of this during that time. 

This is topical horseshite, black cab drivers have always been rabidly against PH and previously the Airport Cabbies.

1 hour ago, kelosom said:

Taxis in Edinburgh are like the NHS in that they are fair to all, they do not discriminate against any person with mobility issues. To offer this equality the vehicles are purpose built and or adapted and as such are more expensive. Everyone using taxis spreads the cost equally across society.

The Private Hire Car does not offer this equality and uses cheaper cars and wage suppression to offer discounts and in Hearts Case they are telling supporters to not consider equality and think of yourself and the driver will donate a proportion of his wage to Hearts. Private Hire use is just the same as all those self centred chairmen we have been berating.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Aye ok.

1 hour ago, kelosom said:

That is why people like private hire cabs. By all means black cabs can be used for those with mobility issues, but that doesn't mean the rest of us should be forced into using them as well. 

You sound like an embittered black cab driver annoyed because his ludicrously high fares are no longer competitive but doesn't want to do anything about it whilst willfully ignoring the workings of a free market economy. Amirite?

3fingersreid
6 minutes ago, trotter said:

That is why people like private hire cabs. By all means black cabs can be used for those with mobility issues, but that doesn't mean the rest of us should be forced into using them as well. 

You sound like an embittered black cab driver annoyed because his ludicrously high fares are no longer competitive but doesn't want to do anything about it whilst willfully ignoring the workings of a free market economy. Amirite?

The black cab driver doesn’t have an input in the fares , that’s set by the council and the cab office ( police) 

For me there is a nostalgic feeling to taking a black cab than a PHC.

But the need for taxi ranks and the benefit of being able to pick up fares when someone sticks their thumb up has been trumped by a smartphone app. None of the individual apps by black cab operators can compete, so maybe they should buck together and have a UK wide app?

3fingersreid
37 minutes ago, kila said:

For me there is a nostalgic feeling to taking a black cab than a PHC.

But the need for taxi ranks and the benefit of being able to pick up fares when someone sticks their thumb up has been trumped by a smartphone app. None of the individual apps by black cab operators can compete, so maybe they should buck together and have a UK wide app?

There at a couple of apps used nationally Gett being one Ryde* is another. 
The advertising from BOTH the Edinburgh black cab companies telling customers of their apps and linking your card to it meaning no card required for payment and other customer friendly functions is nothing short of pathetic , the owners and committees of both should hang their heads in shame . 

* I still can’t believe someone thought the advertising logo on a black cab saying 

“ best Ryde in town “ was good 🙈

Drove black taxi until mid march. Never going back. It might seem expensive but by the time I paid rent, fuel and other crappy... might aswell have made minimum wage, flipping burgers.

Done PH too... not much difference, slave to the man. Why didnt you buy a taxi, you ask? Didnt want too. Easy job but I got trapped and couldn't get out until, covid.

Anyway I'd agree drop PH promotion it's a slave trade. I've paid approx £16,000 a year rent to PH or owners. That's even before a litre of deisel.

The company's and owners getting rich off other people's backs. Rents are outrageous and people are literally killing themselves working 70+ hours a week 52 weeks a year. Not to mention depression, divorce and suicide rates rocket when you sit your arse in a taxi.

Absolute greed from owners and the old guard, I support the hard working cabbie. But companies and owners I wouldn't pish on if they were on fire.

Enzo Chiefo
4 hours ago, trotter said:

It's only competitive if the PHC have to follow the same rules as the black cabs. Make them sit the brief, pass a language proficiency test and adhere to a dress code. Sat Navs are for tourists, not for professional drivers trying to navigate tourists and locals through the Edinburgh traffic. 

I, personally,  wouldn't go a anywhere near a PHC.

Howdy Doody Jambo

The private hire cars and Taxis both have the same Edinburgh Council set meter tariff, how do so many people say Taxis are more expensive when they have access to bus lanes in rush hour's and Princes Street, Johnston terrace etc,

Private hire cars being cheaper is just a myth. 

Although it seems contradictory of the Edinburgh council to let uber private hire licenced cars dictate and set their own prices which often surge sky high during busy periods, it must be slavery for some of them if they have to give up a percentage of the fare to the mega rich uber company , why shouldn't the driver be paid the going rate full fare? which seems corrupt in saturating the streets with hundreds of old cars all competing for the same work 

It can't be healthy getting into a small car sitting next to a driver even with a mask on who has had many other passengers in the same seat previously, just a bit odd during Covid-19 times how they can still operate by following government guidelines 

Edited by Ma Roon

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

This is topical horseshite, black cab drivers have always been rabidly against PH and previously the Airport Cabbies.

Tell us what’s not true in what I posted and why it’s horseshite then von Arsetein?

16 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

PHCs that I drove for have a protective screen. No passengers in the front and only pick up people with masks. 

10x cheaper than the con men from the Airports. 

And yes, I can also use wipes and sprays quite easily. 👍

People should have the choice not to pay £20 for a £10 fair. Do the BCs still refuse locals from the airport? Boo hoo I'm no making a hummer quid, so I'm no taking you. 

@Enzo Chiefo As local knowledge, most PHC drivers don't need a satnav unless they're leaving their district. But a satnav will take you the short way, unlike BCs who have the longest route down to a tea. PHC will dive you option of shortest route v quickest route(Motorway). 

Anyway, your choice is not to use PHCs, and that's your choice.

One last thing, do foreign people with bad language skills not drive BCs? Once had an British driver, couldn't understand a word. 

Edited by ri Alban

Unknown user
18 hours ago, kelosom said:

Now that we as a club have suffered first hand the result of a selfish society is now the time for us to become a truly moral club and cut our association and promotion of private hire car use.

Hearts have been shafted, let's tell an unrelated sponsor to **** off?

What's immoral about private car hire exactly?

27 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Nothing! 

Put it this way, BCs are like the auld firm, they want to leave Scottish football, but when they're stuck as nobodies they'll be back lording it over the rest. BCs, they took all the good gigs(Airports etc... and now they are not what they were, they want the shite that PHC do, anaw.  

Will BCs take Nurses to hospital, or be doing half mile runs from Tesco and Asda, or wait and returns for junkies. Well, let's see how much they want rid of PHCs. 

Edited by ri Alban

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nothing! 

Put it this way, BCs are like the auld firm, they want to leave Scottish football, but when they're stuck as nobodies they'll be back lording it over the rest. BCs, they took all the good gigs(Airports etc... and now they are not what they were, they want the shite that PHC do, anaw.  

Will BCs take Nurses to hospital, or be doing half mile runs from Tesco and Asda, or wait and returns for junkies. We'll, let's see how much they want rid of PHCs. 

I dont have a problem with either TBH, they both serve a purpose. But it seems pretty mental to say one is immoral if you ask me!

I get that they're a threat but times change, no one worried for me when Tom Tom were cutting back under the threat of Google maps, it's just the way the world is, constant flux with an illusion of permanence.

Anyway, I'm allowed to car share going to work, with a different person every day if I wanted. My wee car's definitely no immoral, she's epic.

Konrad von Carstein
6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Tell us what’s not true in what I posted and why it’s horseshite then von Arsetein?

I said it was topical, are you saying that a  significant number of black cab drivers don't want to corner the market by getting rid of ph?

von Arsetein? :lol:

I used to use BCs and PHCs regularly, when working with disabled people and encountered a lot of friendly, helpful drivers from both. That said though, I noticed you've more chance of getting a surly crabbit driver if you call for a black cab.

Howdy Doody Jambo
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Nothing! 

Will BCs take Nurses to hospital, or be doing half mile runs from Tesco and Asda, or wait and returns for junkies. Well, let's see how much they want rid of PHCs. 

At the end of the day it's customer's personal choice if they want a higher or lower standard of vehicle and service.

The NHS obviously trusts the Black cab companies more than the, Pirate hire cars to award them with the contract work and direct line phones you get in hospitals and supermarkets etc. 

The driver's are probably much the same and are all trying to make a living you get good and bad workers in every trade and industry. 

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

PHCs that I drove for have a protective screen. No passengers in the front and only pick up people with masks. 

10x cheaper than the con men from the Airports

And yes, I can also use wipes and sprays quite easily. 👍

Almost every one I have seen in Edinburgh at night from the start of the lockdown, so if you’re talking about an Edinburgh firm, then it must have single digit cars. I’ve recently seen a couple now with makeshift screens and even one with cling film🤣

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

People should have the choice not to pay £20 for a £10 fair. Do the BCs still refuse locals from the airport? Boo hoo I'm no making a hummer quid, so I'm no taking you. 

@Enzo Chiefo As local knowledge, most PHC drivers don't need a satnav unless they're leaving their district. But a satnav will take you the short way, unlike BCs who have the longest route down to a tea. PHC will dive you option of shortest route v quickest route(Motorway). 

Anyway, your choice is not to use PHCs, and that's your choice.

One last thing, do foreign people with bad language skills not drive BCs? Once had an British driver, couldn't understand a word. 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Nothing! 

Nobodies🤣 As for the nurses, Tesco, Asda and wait and return junkies...pretty much do these most night, so to answer that question, we will.
I don’t have a problem with phc being on the road, it’s competition like every job and it isn’t breaking the law. What I do have a problem with regarding the phc, is that large number of them are picking up from off the street at night, which is illegal.

You seem very angry, maybe got too much sun yesterday? 

As for all the bold, all of it is completely made up and exaggerated.

Seymour M Hersh

A friend who comes from London and pre house arrest for all travelled up here every couple of weeks to go to his company office in Livingston. Told me tha hackneys charged him £55. from the airport but mini-cabs were only £39. That's quite a difference. Mind you he's not spending anything at the moment and using teams. I wonder how much business traffic will just never return post house arrest? 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I said it was topical, are you saying that a  significant number of black cab drivers don't want to corner the market by getting rid of ph?

von Arsetein? :lol:

Again, nothing to do with what I said in my post and it was all true.

As for your question above, I’m sure that most do,  just the same as I’m sure most phc do.

3fingersreid
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Nothing! 

The jobs you mention I do them very very frequently .

You drove a phc with a screen added , was that not breaking the law by adapting the car from its original spec or was it council approved ? 

26 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

The jobs you mention I do them very very frequently .

You drove a phc with a screen added , was that not breaking the law by adapting the car from its original spec or was it council approved ? 

What law would it be breaking by adding a plastic screen? That sounds like something a BC driver would tell his punters to scare them away from using a PH.

3fingersreid
6 minutes ago, Herbert said:

What law would it be breaking by adding a plastic screen? That sounds like something a BC driver would tell his punters to scare them away from using a PH.

Do you seriously think I made it up ? Check out the terms of license and you’ll be able to see it . 
It’s like if any car or vehicle put snow tyres on without telling their insurance they are salting the vehicle . 
I’ll leave it there as I’m not up for an argument . 

Edited by 3fingersreid

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

The sponsor is related, they are offering cash incentives to obtain custom, this becomes immoral when they achieve this cash via isolating a section of society, one that any one of us may find ourself in.

in other words think of yourself don’t pay the full fare to pay for a vehicle you don’t personally need. Leave them to pay for it. Would you opt out of National Insurance payments because your fit and well, for me they are all connected it’s a society issue that the government should be addressing as the more people opt out of the all for one the more each of us will suffer at some point like Hearts have recently.

it also happens to be a group that largely has less income. If the efficiency of Taxis were greater in that everyone using them the council would not need to increase the tariff, for those that are unaware the council carry out a study every few years to measure the need for the tariff and number of vehicles required to service the city. The tariff could be cheaper if everyone used Taxis.

Edited by kelosom

Unknown user
54 minutes ago, kelosom said:

The sponsor is related, they are offering cash incentives to obtain custom, this becomes immoral when they achieve this cash via isolating a section of society, one that any one of us may find ourself in.

in other words think of yourself don’t pay the full fare to pay for a vehicle you don’t personally need. Leave them to pay for it. Would you opt out of National Insurance payments because your fit and well, for me they are all connected it’s a society issue that the government should be addressing as the more people opt out of the all for one the more each of us will suffer at some point like Hearts have recently.

it also happens to be a group that largely has less income. If the efficiency of Taxis were greater in that everyone using them the council would not need to increase the tariff, for those that are unaware the council carry out a study every few years to measure the need for the tariff and number of vehicles required to service the city. The tariff could be cheaper if everyone used Taxis.

Nah, sorry mate but that's stretching 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Do you seriously think I made it up ? Check out the terms of license and you’ll be able to see it . 
It’s like if any car or vehicle put snow tyres on without telling their insurance they are salting the vehicle . 
I’ll leave it there as I’m not up for an argument . 

What section am I looking for?

That only bit I've found is about the car is in 54 D saying the car mustn't have any dents or damage inside and out, is roadworthy and safe.

Adding a plastic screen in the back isn't going to effect the way the car drives or handles and isn't really a modification. The council are obviously aware of the PHC doing this and it isn't a issue. It seems like hibs levels of hatred and seethe from BC drivers. FWIW bot sets of drivers are a nightmare.

2 hours ago, kelosom said:

:rofl:

They are not even remotely the same thing. If black cabs were seen as an 'essential' service they would be subsidized by the government if it was needed. They aren't, and they're not. 

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

What section am I looking for?

That only bit I've found is about the car is in 54 D saying the car mustn't have any dents or damage inside and out, is roadworthy and safe.

Adding a plastic screen in the back isn't going to effect the way the car drives or handles and isn't really a modification. The council are obviously aware of the PHC doing this and it isn't a issue. It seems like hibs levels of hatred and seethe from BC drivers. FWIW bot sets of drivers are a nightmare.

This was in the Evening News back in May. It mainly talks about Glasgow PHCs, but I'd assume Edinburgh Council ones have similar rules.

Scottish private hire drivers demand screens after Covid-19 deaths

Scottish private hire drivers are angry at being barred from installing protective screens in their vehicles after several colleagues died with suspected Covid-19.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/scottish-private-hire-drivers-demand-screens-after-covid-19-deaths-2851111

Edited by Lemongrab