Songs you hate and why

Marvin

JudyJudyJudy

At every party at a pub or club I've been to " brown eyed girl " is always played . I hate it . 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin

• JudyJudyJudy

• Auld Reekin'

• ri Alban

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

At every party at a pub or club I've been to " brown eyed girl " is always played . I hate it . 

I agree 100% with that choice, if its not that song its "Sweet Caroline", both are annoying.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Ominous said:

I agree 100% with that choice, if its not that song its "Sweet Caroline", both are annoying.

I don’t mind sweet Caroline but hate that it’s been taken over by the young team of our support with “ new lyrich” 

Lone Striker

My vote goes  to Cher and that truly awful, teeth-grinding, ear-aching, vomit-inducing Do You Believe.   

A wierdo and his wierdo teenage sons lived in the flat below me 20 years ago and they  regularly played that abomination on repeat (high volume).     I  don't remember hating a song as much prior to being subjected to that awful auto-tune voice vibrating up through the floor and walls.     😱

All roads lead to Gorgie

When I was growing up I hated Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen including the video. Dire Straights Money for Nothing sounded like how you would feel if you bought the record. Not really a song but Fatboy Slim's Right Here Right Now really annoys me when it is played at the start of anything sports related or anywhere for that matter. Tell me what I want by The Spice Girls and all those Stock, Aitken and Waterman hits with exactly the same drum beat, yuk!

Everybody Hurts by REM is just so depressing. Anything by that Captain or major in the army guy, who was popular a few years ago. A song called Lemon Tree, which was being played absolutely everywhere when I was on holiday in Goa then Thailand many years ago. 

Edited by GinRummy

I haven't heard it for years, but that macarena song must be among the worst.

Edited by Lemongrab

I heard some lassie on the radio this morning singing "I Would Walk 500 Miles" just sang it slowly with an acoustic guitar, the most lazy and cringing and embarrassing thing I think I've ever heard.

CF11JamTart
On 01/08/2020 at 14:23, JamesM48 said:

My wife is learning the guitar and is playing this today.

Cannot stand that song. Never could

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Everybody Hurts by REM is just so depressing. Anything by that Captain or major in the army guy, who was popular a few years ago. A song called Lemon Tree, which was being played absolutely everywhere when I was on holiday in Goa then Thailand many years ago. 

Assume you're referring to James Blunt, which aptly describes (in rhyming slang) what he made of popular music for a few years. :whistling:

7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Assume you're referring to James Blunt, which aptly describes (in rhyming slang) what he made of popular music for a few years. :whistling:

i do like the way he doesn't take himself too seriously on twitter dealling with trolls

All roads lead to Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I remember him and the female version of him, Dido. What a low point in music history that period was!

Lone Striker
19 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I remember him and the female version of him, Dido. What a low point in music history that period was!

Good shout there    I'd forgotten about her.    It's just very odd how the media go wild over  folk like Dido, Blunt and now Sheeran,  Capaldi, Tom Walker, George Ezra  etc -  despite them churning out utter playground-level  drivel.    I have a friend who reckons musicians like those are actually deliberately taking the p1ss to see how much money they can make before some influential person shouts "Enough ... this is b*ll*cks).    Similar to the emperors new clothes.  

Edited by Lone Striker

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Good shout there    I'd forgotten about her.    It's just very odd how the media go wild over  folk like Dido, Blunt and now Sheeran,  Capaldi, Tom Walker, George Ezra  etc -  despite them churning out utter playground-level  drivel.    A friend reckons musicians like those are actually deliberately taking the p1ss to see how much money they can make before some influential person shouts "Enough ... this is b*ll*cks). 

Unfortunately there are too many unimaginative music buyers out there to stop these type of acts springing up all over the place. It is certain though the charity shops will be full of their albums in no time at all.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

First Di died.

Then Dodi died.

Then Dando died.

Dido must be shitting herself.

:laugh:

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

😂 That’s him. Every wedding and funeral I was at for about 5 years had that song played. Absolutely hated it from the first time I heard it. 

Mustang feckin Sally...............the go too shitty song for every shitty pub band during the nineties on the back of the most overrated film from the same period. Absolute horse shit.

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Mate, Burt's the ****ing man!

Mostly based on my dislike of Dionne Warwick. I looked up his songs and literally one song I liked from the shirelles. Nothing logical, just don’t like lounge music.

JudyJudyJudy
On 01/08/2020 at 14:57, westbow said:

Anything by Burt Bacharach. Chuck Mangione too. 

Bacharach is legendary.  Some great music from him.  

40 minutes ago, JWL said:

Mustang feckin Sally...............the go too shitty song for every shitty pub band during the nineties on the back of the most overrated film from the same period. Absolute horse shit.

I couldn’t believe it when I saw The Commitments. Had read a few Roddy Doyle books but not that one. After all the hype I finally got round to watching it and it was a massive disappointment. The sort of film that is passable on a boring Sunday afternoon. 

been here before
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

James Blunt is a good lad. 

Aye his music is utter shite but any time Ive seen him or read about something he's done he always seems up for a laugh at his music and very self effacing. I reckon he'd be alright to have a pint with.

Plus didnt he also personally stop WWIII when with the Cavalry in the Balkans?

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye his music is utter shite but any time Ive seen him or read about something he's done he always seems up for a laugh at his music and very self effacing. I reckon he'd be alright to have a pint with.

He refused an order by a US General to attack Russian troops. Apparently. He welcomed a court martial if need be. 

33 minutes ago, been here before said:

29 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He refused an order by a US General to attack Russian troops. Apparently. He welcomed a court martial if need be. 

Wow. Never heard that about him. 

Just now, crunchy frog said:

"Love Cats" by The Cure gives me ear AIDS and the rage simultaneously 

That's were me and The Cure parted company.

crunchy frog
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's were me and The Cure parted company.

Utter dog shit. To think that they recorded Hundred Years about a year before it....

4 hours ago, been here before said:

His music is crap but he’s self- deprecating and seems a good sort. He did a very touching tribute to Keith Flint after he died. 

Too many songs to list that I can’t stand but anything by Coldplay, The Kooks and all that bland 00’s landfill indie shite is so beige it hurts my ears. The Proclaimers, Runrig, Biffy Clyro, The View and any old shite that people only seem to like because they’re Scottish are another load of pish. On the plus side, there’s tons of great music out there so I can inoculate myself from all of that. 

jambos are go!

Annies Song by John Denver and Until its time for you to go by Buffe St Marie. Saccharin nonsense.

Flower of Scotland is a racist dirge. Not much time for the Hearts song either. Or Hearts of Glory  - another dirge.

Hearts season ticket holder for over 50 years BTW

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, JWL said:

The Dad was funny.. 

Unchained Melody. A little bit of me dies whenever I hear the opening bars of it. Awful, never ending dirge.

Novelty songs are meant to be shite or annoying and don't bother me but songs that are meant to be serious but are shite is another matter. 

I'd suggest "The War Song" by Culture Club as the worst. Came out in 1984 on the back of "Two Tribes" and other such anti war pop songs that year. I remember being stunned into silence as Boy George prance around on TOTP's singing:

"War, war is stupid, 

And people are stupid...". 

The hits dried up after that monstrosity. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

The Only Way is Up by Yazz. Only because I hate 80s cheesy synth music and that is the worst out there.

17 hours ago, jake said:

Walk on by

Doo doo douroo do

You've clearly never heard Isaac Hayes' version of it.

8 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The Only Way is Up by Yazz. Only because I hate 80s cheesy synth music and that is the worst out there.

Only found out recently that this was a cover. The original is, naturally, much better...

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Only found out recently that this was a cover. The original is, naturally, much better...

Good info:thumbsup: I didn't know it was a cover either.

Listening to that the original had an authentic soul feel to it but Yazz totally turned the cover into a cheese fest. 

Ron Burgundy
16 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

Annies Song by John Denver and Until its time for you to go by Buffe St Marie. Saccharin nonsense.

Flower of Scotland is a racist dirge. Not much time for the Hearts song either. Or Hearts of Glory  - another dirge.

Hearts season ticket holder for over 50 years BTW

I remember a while ago lying in bed with headphones on listening to the radio and this came on. I had my youngest daughter cuddling into me and she was sleeping and looked like an angel. That song just summed up that moment so perfectly and I felt like greeting. What a soppy old git I have become.

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Or The Stranglers, what a song.

3 hours ago, Craig_ said:

I have mate.

I was disagreeing with the poster who said anything by the songwriters of the song.

Isaac Hayes version  is quality.

👍