Dogs

hmfc_liam06

hmfc_liam06

We are thinking of adding a 2nd dog to the household. 

Current dog is an 11 year old labrador, we're looking at another labrador.

Has anyone any experience of introducing a puppy to a house that already has an older dog? Any tips, do's or don'ts etc?

John Findlay

Introduce them to each other asap. The older dog will soon let the puppy know what the set up is.

hmfc_liam06
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Introduce them to each other asap. The older dog will soon let the puppy know what the set up is.

Yeah I've been reading a fair bit about introducing them to each other on neutral ground first before moving to our own garden then the house.

The lab I have now is extremely placid but there's always that fear of it not going well.

John Findlay
11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah I've been reading a fair bit about introducing them to each other on neutral ground first before moving to our own garden then the house.

The lab I have now is extremely placid but there's always that fear of it not going well.

You will be fine. So will the dogs.

I wouldn’t do it. If the older dog has been the only dog in the house his whole life I doubt he’ll be that chuffed at the new addition or the attention the pup will get. 

Let the old dog be. Doubt at its stage of life it would want a puppy to contend with. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Has anyone any experience of introducing a puppy to a house that already has an older dog? Any tips, do's or don'ts etc?

Hi Liam,

Our dog was four when we introduced a new puppy (his half sister). He hated her, would not look or go near her.

We were really worried, but a friend who has two dogs said "give it three weeks things will be fine"

The three week rule was spot on, almost to the day. They are now best pals, in fact the younger one is the boss, but they get on fine, and never had one issue of fighting or anything.

11 years old is quite an age difference though, so it might be different if the dog is set in his ways, alternatively it could give the older dog a new lease of life.

Cheers

MM

Labs are a canny beasts (as you will already know) you won’t have any problems .

Edited by One five

Fort Vallance
52 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I would just leave it if I was you pal. Dogs are absolute ringpieces. 

As are dog owners that assume that everyone in the world loves dogs as much as they do.

hmfc_liam06
24 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Hi Liam,

Our dog was four when we introduced a new puppy (his half sister). He hated her, would not look or go near her.

We were really worried, but a friend who has two dogs said "give it three weeks things will be fine"

The three week rule was spot on, almost to the day. They are now best pals, in fact the younger one is the boss, but they get on fine, and never had one issue of fighting or anything.

11 years old is quite an age difference though, so it might be different if the dog is set in his ways, alternatively it could give the older dog a new lease of life.

Cheers

MM

She's still got bags full of energy for 11 so I'm not sure there'll be too many issues there. She definitely can be stubborn though!

6 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

As are dog owners that assume that everyone in the world loves dogs as much as they do.

People who dislike dogs opening up a thread asking for advice about dogs. 

Weakened Offender
7 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Yes indeed. 

Fort Vallance
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

People who dislike dogs opening up a thread asking for advice about dogs. 

Fair point.

Just now, Fort Vallance said:

Fair point.

😂 when I saw the notification you’d replied I was ready for an argument. 

She's still got bags full of energy for 11 so I'm not sure there'll be too many issues there. She definitely can be stubborn though!

Maybe a wee puppy to mother might be just the thing

Labradors are wee shites always chewing my footwear and soft furnishings and to make matters worse take over my sofa so I have to sit on the floor they are to intelligent for their own good.🐶

2 minutes ago, Crete said:

Labradors are wee shites always chewing my footwear and soft furnishings and to make matters worse take over my sofa so I have to sit on the floor they are to intelligent for their own good.🐶

Dogs can punctuate.

And spell.  

😇

CavySlaveJambo
2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Hi Liam,

Thanks for this, this is my situation. 
we are speaking with our trainer though to help the settling.

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

This is exactly how it is done. 

Unless of course the puppy hasn't had its jags but yep, let them meet straight away. The older dog will teach it boundaries and after a few meetings the puppy will understand how to interact better with other dogs. 

8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

When we fostered or adopted a new dog from the rescue. We'd take them for a walk together before taking them into the house. Piper(My Lab) is quite easy going anyway, when in comes to new animals in the hoose. 

Other dogs walking past my garden is a different matter. 

12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Has anyone any experience of introducing a puppy to a house that already has an older dog? Any tips, do's or don't etc?

Some time ago now we introduced our older lab also around 11 or 12 to a Dutch spaniel puppy. He gave the lab a new lease of life. I believe it was the best move for us and the dogs who were best friends in no time. So do it. You won't regret it.

Just make sure you treat them both as equals, the older dog will maintain the natural order between the pair.

Edited by Marvin

hmfc_liam06
11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Some time ago now we introduced our older lab also around 11 or 12 to a Dutch spaniel puppy. He gave the lab a new lease of life. I believe it was the best move for us and the dogs who were best friends in no time. So do it. You won't regret it.

Just make sure you treat them both as equals, the older dog will maintain the natural order between the pair.

Thanks Marvin, that's reassuring! And great to hear it gave yours a new lease of life. 

The Mrs is adamant so nothing I say will change her mind :lol:

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

When we fostered or adopted a new dog from the rescue. We'd take them for a walk together before taking them into the house. Piper(My Lab) is quite easy going anyway, when in comes to new animals in the hoose. 

Other dogs walking past my garden is a different matter. 

Sounds exactly like my lab too. She enjoys when other dogs come to visit but barks her head off at anything walking by!

9 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Thanks for this, this is my situation. 
we are speaking with our trainer though to help the settling.

No problem,

Stick with it, once they settle down its brilliant :thumbsup:

Harry Potter
13 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Let the old dog be. Doubt at its stage of life it would want a puppy to contend with. 

aye be seethn.🤔:sheep:get the new dog a coat like this, be fine,

tbh just make sure you keep giving the old dog plenty attention.

Edited by Harry Potter

14 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Loved that comment :-)

hmfc_liam06
14 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

:worthless_thread:

We've not been to see the pup yet. I can show you my current lab if pics of dogs are your thing....

Салатные палочки
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We've not been to see the pup yet. I can show you my current lab if pics of dogs are your thing....

Not when you put it like that :laugh:

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Thanks Marvin, that's reassuring! And great to hear it gave yours a new lease of life. 

The Mrs is adamant so nothing I say will change her mind :lol:

It was good, the spaniel was a wee wide-o and kept the lab on her toes so to speak. We got easily another few years out of her, just when we thought she was on her way to the great field in the sky. 

hmfc_liam06
21 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It was good, the spaniel was a wee wide-o and kept the lab on her toes so to speak. We got easily another few years out of her, just when we thought she was on her way to the great field in the sky. 

Nice one!

To be honest I don't think my lab is anywhere near the end of her life (touch wood). 11 but acts like she's 7, zero health concerns, still as bouncy as ever. I'd be surprised if she didn't outlive life expectancy by a good few years. I'm hoping she gets a lot out of having a wee one running around her.

Nice one!

To be honest I don't think my lab is anywhere near the end of her life (touch wood). 11 but acts like she's 7, zero health concerns, still as bouncy as ever. I'd be surprised if she didn't outlive life expectancy by a good few years. I'm hoping she gets a lot out of having a wee one running around her.

Labs are pretty chilled and do get on with most other breeds. I'm sure you'll have a lot of great times with both dogs in your home.

If you think it’s a good idea then
go ahead I have

thought about the idea myself but would feel bad if the older 

dog passed away soon after 

hmfc_liam06
34 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

If you think it’s a good idea then
go ahead I have

thought about the idea myself but would feel bad if the older 

dog passed away soon after 

You never can tell I guess but my current lab is fit as a fiddle, I honestly see her out living life expectancy by some years.

If I was the old dog I'd think that you no longer loved me.

I'd probably take a shit in your slippers and be a dick to the new vibrant love of your life

You never can tell I guess but my current lab is fit as a fiddle, I honestly see her out living life expectancy by some years.

I had a Labrador for fourteen years so may give your one

a new lease of life

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Don't know what I was worried about 😍

IMG_20200912_221120_436.jpg

Wait until the pup is a few weeks older, teething and hanging off the older dogs ears 😂 

13 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Wait until the pup is a few weeks older, teething and hanging off the older dogs ears 😂 

Haha aye...although she's already at that caper :lol: