Stupid things in films

Tazio

jambosean75

the various csi franchises were  the same

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Silent Witness grinds my gears.

The pathologists become the cops and interview suspects.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, jambosean75 said:

the various csi franchises were  the same

They were. 

4 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

When someone switches the TV on, within a few seconds an item will come on the news that is crucial to the plot of the film.

Aye, someone bursts into a room and says "you need to turn the TV on" one press of a button and they're watching what they are supposed to. They must have hundreds of channels available but always get it first time.

Asking for "a pint" or "a beer" at a drinking establishment.

If the place you go to only serves one type of that product, you need to not be drinking in there.

21 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

People getting shot and five minutes later are running or fighting as if it was but a mere flesh wound. 

But the 'baddies' get a single shot somewhere in the body and die instantly.

Crime shows where some crappy, low res, pixelated cctv video footage magically gets 'cleaned up' and they get an ultra sharp, zoomed in close up of a reg plate or someone's face. :lol:

Eh... video doesn't work that way.

Every single thing in the Fast and Furious films, yet i still watch them. People that recover from a kick in the balls in less than a day.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Aye, someone bursts into a room and says "you need to turn the TV on" one press of a button and they're watching what they are supposed to. They must have hundreds of channels available but always get it first time.

So true. I watched something the other day and that exactly happened lol

Sawdust Caesar

When someone gets stabbed in the torso once and dies within 2 seconds. Even getting stabbed in an artery would still take a couple of minutes to die. It's even more stupid when someone throws a knife at someone which, I imagine, wouldn't penetrate too deeply and the victim is dead before they hit the deck. James Coburn killed someone this way in the Magnificent 7

Another one is in detective shows where the police have worked out someone is in imminent danger in their home. They race to the location from across town and get to the house before the local police patrol cars. Happens in the Blacklist all the time.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

When someone gets stabbed in the torso once and dies within 2 seconds. Even getting stabbed in an artery would still take a couple of minutes to die. It's even more stupid when someone throws a knife at someone which, I imagine, wouldn't penetrate too deeply and the victim is dead before they hit the deck. James Coburn killed someone this way in the Magnificent 7

Another one is in detective shows where the police have worked out someone is in imminent danger in their home. They race to the location from across town and get to the house before the local police patrol cars. Happens in the Blacklist all the time.

Great movie.

JudyJudyJudy

* When people meet each other and about two days later they are " in love" and or " married". This happens  a lot in old black and white films. 

* Again in older films the " parents " of children look more like their grandparents ...like the parents in " The Winslow Boy"... wee Ronnie Winslow is 13 and his parents look about 65....!

* the cliche cop show or film when two polar opposite cops have to work alongside each other...One tends to be a jaded, alcoholic and divorced and has a fractious relationship with his ex wife whereas the other one is younger , enthusiastic and in a positive relationship with their partner...but somehow they hit it off

William H. Bonney

Being thrown through a glass window, getting up, dusting yourself off and moving on. No cuts, no blood. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Being thrown through a glass window, getting up, dusting yourself off and moving on. No cuts, no blood. 

:lol:

SpruceBringsteen
11 hours ago, milky_26 said:

it seems to be acceptable especially in american films for people (especially police) to drink and drive. They will be in bars have multiple drinks then drive home, mostly without any alcohol related issues.

Can confirm this is actually extremely realistic. 

Had a write-off car crash so bad that the engine stopped?

Simply turn the key again and away you go!
No suspension damage, tracking damage, tyre/wheel/exhaust issues or anything else.

Magic Hollywood cars are grand.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Can confirm this is actually extremely realistic. 

My mate visits people in North Carolina and he says drink driving is the norm.

Governor Tarkin
49 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My mate visits people in North Carolina and he says drink driving is the norm.

I have friends in Houston who won't drive in the evenings as there are too many drunks on the road. It's a fact of life.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I have friends in Houston who won't drive in the evenings as there are too many drunks on the road. It's a fact of life.

USA is mental.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

USA is mental.

I've had some great times in the USA and have many American friends but would I **** consider bringing up my children there. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

7 hours ago, Cade said:

Had a write-off car crash so bad that the engine stopped?

Simply turn the key again and away you go!
No suspension damage, tracking damage, tyre/wheel/exhaust issues or anything else.

Magic Hollywood cars are grand.

Did you not see Top Gear and the indestructible pick up truck. 

6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

USA is mental.

I feel quite sorry for Americans atm. A nutcase president, which people use for an excuse to wish Karma of Covid or whatever else on them. People don't deserve any hardship. 

People talking about unrealistic films, if you had Trump as president in a script 10 year ago, you'd be laughed out the door all the way to The Simpson's studios. 

Pillows and cushions to silence guns are probably the only things that makes me :facepalm:

Even silencers are a pile of nonsense. 

I wonder if Americans act the same way when they hear British actors doing US accents, the way I act when I hear bad British accents, especially Scottish. 

Edited by ri Alban

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, graygo said:

That was going to be my next one.

Someone receives a phone call: "You need to turn on the TV"

Not only do they get the correct channel, they seem to have a 2 minute lapse on their telly 'cos they see the exact moment that would have made the other person pick up the phone and say, "you need to turn on the TV." I know that rolling news exists and clips are repeated but not every five minutes.

Another one - someone dangerous is after you in a building. Where do you go? Why, up the stairs, obviously. Never down, towards the exit.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I wonder if Americans act the same way when they hear British actors doing US accents, the way I act when I hear bad British accents, especially Scottish. 

An American I know was absolutely stunned to discover that Hugh Laurie is actually English.

Better call Saul
13 hours ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Time travel.

In terminator... how can Kyle Reece be John Connor's dad.

He pumped John's maw 

Hope this helps 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

An American I know was absolutely stunned to discover that Hugh Laurie is actually English.

He classes himself Scottish. 

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

That was going to be my next one.

Someone receives a phone call: "You need to turn on the TV"

Not only do they get the correct channel, they seem to have a 2 minute lapse on their telly 'cos they see the exact moment that would have made the other person pick up the phone and say, "you need to turn on the TV." I know that rolling news exists and clips are repeated but not every five minutes.

Another one - someone dangerous is after you in a building. Where do you go? Why, up the stairs, obviously. Never down, towards the exit.

And will no doubt lock themselves in a room with just the one exit. Or hide a closet.

14 hours ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Time travel.

I love the Terminator films (well the first 2...3 was just alright) but the plot holes in them would give you a headache if you tried to figure them out.

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

On a similar note a few fellow actors on the wire were stunned to find out idris Elba is English. 
Brits are far better at impersonating Americans than they are us. 

Sawdust Caesar

The sound effects that are added to a scene where someone pulls a knife out of the waistband of their trousers and you hear the schiiinnnggg sound of a metal knife being removed from a metal sheath. It also gets added when someone is waving a knife about or even stabbing someone and pulling the blade out.  

luckyBatistuta

One that irritates myself is the driving scenes in some movies. Who the hell turns the steering wheel left and right continuously every two seconds. They would be zigzagging all over the road🤪

And the Hulks troosers🤯

When the hero is fighting a group of bad guys hand to hand. They all conveniently wait and attack one at a time, giving the good guy a chance to beat them all up. Just all pile in at once ffs.

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

When the hero is fighting a group of bad guys hand to hand. They all conveniently wait and attack one at a time, giving the good guy a chance to beat them all up. Just all pile in at once ffs.

Because it doesn’t work😁

FAA61A04-EC76-4662-AE50-3E21919818AE.gif

27 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

On a similar note a few fellow actors on the wire were stunned to find out idris Elba is English. 
Brits are far better at impersonating Americans than they are us. 

As was I, tbh! Had never seen him in anything else before The Wire.

People constantly re-cocking guns.

Especial pump action shotguns.

All they would be doing in real life would be ejecting rounds all over the floor.

We don't need a stock "gun cocking" soundbite played every time someone is holding a gun.

We get it.

They have a gun.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

People constantly re-cocking guns.

Especial pump action shotguns.

All they would be doing in real life would be ejecting rounds all over the floor.

We don't need a stock "gun cocking" soundbite played every time someone is holding a gun.

We get it.

They have a gun.

Yeah, but a shotgun being cocked is cool :lol:

14 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

5 and drive. Heard that from an American and they said it like it was the most normal thing ever. 

18 hours ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Time travel.

i do like that someone with your username is confused about time travel

doctor jambo

Putting specs on a stunning woman, tying her hair back and nobody notices she is stunning with a mind boggling physique.

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

i do like that someone with your username is confused about time travel

:lol:

yeah, when time travel doesn't leave massive plot holes in it the story it's fine.

or if it's a comedy like Bill and Ted then it doesn't need to make sense because it's most excellent. 

7 hours ago, iantjambo said:

I love the Terminator films (well the first 2...3 was just alright) but the plot holes in them would give you a headache if you tried to figure them out.