Hot Tubs

Vlad Magic

Upgrading the back garden currently and expanding my already well used decking and outdoor recreational activities.

As part of this I will be investing (like every mother and his dog by all accounts) into a permanent hot tub. We have used a temporary blow up plug n play most of lockdown and really enjoyed it. As part of the development I am in the fortunate position to be able to afford a permanent option.

Having gone into this process blind I have done significant research and found it to be a complete minefield! I had no idea just how complicated the process would be. The choices are far greater than I ever imagined. 

I narrowed it down to a degree so not considering anything 13 amp lug n play. Anything resin and anything manufactured in China.

My budget is up to around the 7 n half 8 at a stretch K.

Just seeing who has a tub that fills those criteria above and could give sound advice before I dive in?

Thanks in advance.

A robust centre forward

I have used Arctic Spas down Macmerry way. Bought mine over 10 years ago. They have a showroom and offer a site visit plus full installation service and after care. Well worth considering them and will tailor to suit your budget. 

30 minutes ago, A robust centre forward said:

I have used Arctic Spas down Macmerry way. Bought mine over 10 years ago. They have a showroom and offer a site visit plus full installation service and after care. Well worth considering them and will tailor to suit your budget. 

My son just bought one from them, said they were good to deal with.

1 hour ago, A robust centre forward said:

Appreciate the feedback on retailer.

Looking more for a bit of feedback on the tub itself?

Who has bought what for what and how does it perform?

I bought an Arctic Spa from Kevin Higginson at Arctic Spas in Macmerry in 2009.

Its a 32 amp, was about 6k.

It gets well used at my guest house and has given great service for over a decade with little more than routine servicing.

The shell looks like new and the wood still looks brilliant and cheap to run for a hot tub.

Your budget is bang on and you will get a premium tub for that.

Kevin is a PHM by the way.

Edited by jb102

18 minutes ago, jb102 said:

I bought an Arctic Spa from Kevin Higginson at Arctic Spas in Macmerry in 2009.

Its a 32 amp, was about 6k.

It gets well used at my guest house and has given great service for over a decade with little more than routine servicing.

The shell looks like new and the wood still looks brilliant and cheap to run for a hot tub.

Your budget is bang on and you will get a premium tub for that.

Kevin is a PHM by the way.

Great info 👍

37 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Great info 👍

If I was doing it again I would go for a bigger heater option as it cuts down the water change time from about 16 hours to 8.

Everybody Loves Baz!
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

one for @Everybody Loves Baz! seeing as he spent weeks spamming facebook about his new one :) 

Thanks mate lol.

I can only say that I recently had a 13amp installed and think it's fantastic.

42 jets and keeps a heat for ages. Bluetooth speakers with decent volume.

Spent 4k and got it from The Hot tub Super centre in Falkirk.

The upkeep and cleaning is what I'd do your research on though. That's been the eyeopener for us.

And don't ask how much it costs to run it because everyone is different.

11 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Thanks mate lol.

The upkeep and cleaning is what I'd do your research on though. That's been the eyeopener for us.

Again many thanks.

Think we will avoid 13 amp plug n play because you can’t run heaters and jets simultaneously.

Already spent some cash on a sparky to run 32 amp cable under decking to where the new tub is going so baws deep on that option.

36 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Thanks mate lol.

haha no worries baz, I’ll be picking your brain next year once our new hoose is built and we actually have a garden!

Everybody Loves Baz!
51 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Again many thanks.

Think we will avoid 13 amp plug n play because you can’t run heaters and jets simultaneously.

Already spent some cash on a sparky to run 32 amp cable under decking to where the new tub is going so baws deep on that option.

No worries.

You're only meant to be in it for 15mins at a time and we normally keep to that or occasionally another blast if it's cold outside. In that amount of time with all jests blasting, it only drops 1 degree to 39 lol.

I just couldn't be arsed with the hassle of ripping up the floorboards to run the cable to go for the 32amp, but it looks as though I'm going to have to for my Man cave project next for the electrics.

FML.

Everybody Loves Baz!
30 minutes ago, Ribble said:

haha no worries baz, I’ll be picking your brain next year once our new hoose is built and we actually have a garden!

Any time mate.
Gonna get a catch up organised with Phil and Wee Baz again and hopefully a few more at the Just in the next month so I'll text ye.

Make sure to keep some funds back to put a decent-sized pampas grass in your front garden, otherwise people won't know... 

Hot tubs seem the trend of the moment.

I fancy a sauna. Pipedream as i cant afford it but a proper Scandinavian wooden job with a window looking over the garden. Would be class in winter.

16 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Make sure to keep some funds back to put a decent-sized pampas grass in your front garden, otherwise people won't know... 

Haha ive heard this urban myth before. Wasnt sure how widely known it was

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

That only applies to Baberton.

North Berwick has a slightly more discreet organisation that is known as "The Xanadu Club"

No pampas grass, itchy and no hot tubs, unhygienic.

My wife is adamant we are getting a hot tub - I've been to Arctic Spa's before, do they fit the tubs as well inclusive of the price?

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Maybe I should get a hot tub. I've got a big pampas in my front garden, and I'm pig sick of turning people away, when they turn up at the door with rolled up towel in a Templeton's carrier bag.

We had blow up ones and bought this one about a month ago  from Costco £3k

The company also install as part of the price.

13 amp plug in.

Love it.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Spas-Saunas/Spas-Hot-Tubs/Platinum-Spas-Trident-40-Jet-5-Person-Hot-Tub-Delivered-and-Installed/p/263097?fbclid=IwAR3l053Zj5c65z5Ny8FJjINKpuRiAyMSaf9UiSo5WYYyfKvxsE-uMjJyPqo

12 minutes ago, Hambone said:

We had blow up ones and bought this one about a month ago  from Costco £3k

The company also install as part of the price.

13 amp plug in.

Love it.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Spas-Saunas/Spas-Hot-Tubs/Platinum-Spas-Trident-40-Jet-5-Person-Hot-Tub-Delivered-and-Installed/p/263097?fbclid=IwAR3l053Zj5c65z5Ny8FJjINKpuRiAyMSaf9UiSo5WYYyfKvxsE-uMjJyPqo

Does any installation include any electrical work needed?  I presume not but an outdoor plug is not too expensive to fit

2 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

Does any installation include any electrical work needed?  I presume not but an outdoor plug is not too expensive to fit

No, and the socket has to be pretty close

I now have it plugged into a long extension lead and so far its been ok.

Edited by Hambone

The Real Maroonblood
On 28/07/2020 at 19:18, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Thanks mate lol.

My daughter has a hot tub and is pleased with it.

Only thing is as you’ve pointed out is the maintenance.

She must love it because when they moved house they took the hot tub with them.

Nothing against people who have them but I was away last weekend and the place had a hot tub, after a couple of goes in it I got bored 

Just seems a lot of hassle regards the upkeep ect for something I’d not use a lot also I’m a tight sod so wouldn’t fancy watching the electric dial spinning round when it’s on