Outer Hebrides

Alan_R

Thinking of making the outer hebrides next family holiday

Any recommendations on places to stay? Good ones already booking up and quite pricey across the board. Its a minefield online as so many options. Air bnb had lots for example but either werent appealing or price was a lot.

Prepared to do one of two options... dont mind spending if its worth it, high standard accom, sauna or hot tub that kind of idea... OR

Given weve got the kids and will be exploring a wee caravan would be ideal. But theres a lack of them for hire. Dont mind a basic wee cottage but if we go down this route dont want to pay through the nose for it.

The mrs will absolutely refuse anything with shared facilities. Ill sleep anywhere.

9 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Thinking of making the outer hebrides next family holiday

Any recommendations on places to stay? Good ones already booking up and quite pricey across the board. Its a minefield online as so many options. Air bnb had lots for example but either werent appealing or price was a lot.

Prepared to do one of two options... dont mind spending if its worth it, high standard accom, sauna or hot tub that kind of idea... OR

Given weve got the kids and will be exploring a wee caravan would be ideal. But theres a lack of them for hire. Dont mind a basic wee cottage but if we go down this route dont want to pay through the nose for it.

The mrs will absolutely refuse anything with shared facilities. Ill sleep anywhere.

I live in Lewis so here's a suggestion for you. Google the garnin black houses. It's a village of old fashioned stone houses, there are a few 4 and 6 berth houses, with 1 16 berth house. We have driven over and stayed the weekend with friends in the 16 berth a few times. It is a 30 minute drive from the town but there is a pub amd restaurant just a few minutes away. It is next to the sea so you can do some shore fishing, the scenery is amazing for walks. 

On the other hand, a lot of shops is town still aren't open as they rely on tourists.

Any questions, let me know.

5 minutes ago, superjack said:

I live in Lewis so here's a suggestion for you. Google the garnin black houses. It's a village of old fashioned stone houses, there are a few 4 and 6 berth houses, with 1 16 berth house. We have driven over and stayed the weekend with friends in the 16 berth a few times. It is a 30 minute drive from the town but there is a pub amd restaurant just a few minutes away. It is next to the sea so you can do some shore fishing, the scenery is amazing for walks. 

On the other hand, a lot of shops is town still aren't open as they rely on tourists.

Any questions, let me know.

Brilliant thanks. I know of them as its my parents favourite place to stay over there. My parents arent shy of a bunkhouse or bothy.

Shouldve mentioned i was thinking next summer.

I will give the smaller houses a look. 

I love the highlands and islands (never been to harris & lewis yet though.) If it was me id be very happy to travel about and stay a few places.

With the mrs and kids it just makes sense to pick a base and stay for the week.

Cheers for reply.

5 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Brilliant thanks. I know of them as its my parents favourite place to stay over there. My parents arent shy of a bunkhouse or bothy.

Shouldve mentioned i was thinking next summer.

I will give the smaller houses a look. 

I love the highlands and islands (never been to harris & lewis yet though.) If it was me id be very happy to travel about and stay a few places.

With the mrs and kids it just makes sense to pick a base and stay for the week.

Cheers for reply.

If you prefer to be closer to town, there are plenty holiday homes in the point area, that's where is stay. I'm in a small and. Very quiet village but only a 10 minute drive from town.

3fingersreid

If you’ve never been to Harris or Lewis , when you do get there be prepared to see some of the best beaches in the world and get used to being on them with just your family . 

2 minutes ago, superjack said:

If you prefer to be closer to town, there are plenty holiday homes in the point area, that's where is stay. I'm in a small and. Very quiet village but only a 10 minute drive from town.

Cheers

Any websites youd recommend?

A wee cottage/holiday home will likely be what we go for. Despite my OP doesnt need to be too fancy. just as long as the mrs is happy haha

I didnt start off looking for any fancy just scrolled past one (think they were called blue reef) which looked minted but fully booked. So it planted the seed. Maybe for another time without kids right enough!

2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

If you’ve never been to Harris or Lewis , when you do get there be prepared to see some of the best beaches in the world and get used to being on them with just your family . 

I've been living here 22 years and still haven't quite got used to getting beach to yourself.

1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

Cheers

Any websites youd recommend?

A wee cottage/holiday home will likely be what we go for. Despite my OP doesnt need to be too fancy. just as long as the mrs is happy haha

I didnt start off looking for any fancy just scrolled past one (think they were called blue reef) which looked minted but fully booked. So it planted the seed. Maybe for another time without kids right enough!

The blue reef cottages are in seilabost in Harris, close to 1 of the best beaches, and a 9 hole golf course.

Don't know any websites to recommend though apart from 1, the house is called onadune. I only know it as my wife is across the road cleaning it just now. Cracking views across the minch, on a clear day you can make out some houses on the mainland. And you can also see my maroon shed with a tynecastle sign.

3fingersreid
Just now, superjack said:

I've been living here 22 years and still haven't quite got used to getting beach to yourself.

First time I went up there with my wife to visit her sister , husband who’s from Lewis and their two young kids I couldn’t get over the white sands and crystal clear water , water which isn’t too cold for swimming in . 
It’s a great place to escape the rat race , not sure I could stay permanently though .

6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

First time I went up there with my wife to visit her sister , husband who’s from Lewis and their two young kids I couldn’t get over the white sands and crystal clear water , water which isn’t too cold for swimming in . 
It’s a great place to escape the rat race , not sure I could stay permanently though .

Wild swimming is quite trendy just now. It had crossed my mind. Wetsuit needed?

Superjack- assuming youve not always lived there. Do you mind my asking what you do or what took you up there to begin with?

10 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Superjack- assuming youve not always lived there. Do you mind my asking what you do or what took you up there to begin with?

I'm originally from edinburgh but was brought up in Gala from age 7.

My wife is from here but lived in Edinburgh for years. We were living in a flat in pilton at the time and a job came up for her. We thought about it and decided we would try, that was 1998, been here since. At the time, I was just going from 1 crap job to another in Edinburgh. Only really miss getting to tynie regularly and chippie sauce!

I don't think I could have done the move when I was a single man, but works well for me since I almost grew up. 

We both think it was my years living in Gala that helped me settle in so well as it is a similar lifestyle.

3fingersreid
23 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I’ve been up there 3 times , swam  in the sea a couple of times but no wet suit used. That said it wasn’t wild swimming it was just go in the water and swim for a bit. Slight nip in the sea temp but just go for it . 
I was watching a guy fly fishing in the sea once up there catching sea trout , he gave me a shot  but the water is so clear you could see the fish going for the fly and you’d strike too early , the old guy was deadly though but he said he’d never take more than 3 or 4 home .

I don’t drink it but the Harris Gin is supposedly excellent 👍🏻

Sounds like it worked out ok 👍🏻 always thought must be tricky moving north to pick up a job without necessary experience? Maybe just the (false?) Idea everyone is more self sufficient. But guess there is shops and everything else still that require 'regular' jobs.

I like the notion of getting away from the rat race but like 3fingers not sure i could do it. Id miss stupid stuff like alot of the social side and playing 5 asides etc

The Real Maroonblood
53 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Never been but although not a beach holiday person in the traditional sense what you describe sounds amazing and certainly appealing.

13 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Sounds like it worked out ok 👍🏻 always thought must be tricky moving north to pick up a job without necessary experience? Maybe just the (false?) Idea everyone is more self sufficient. But guess there is shops and everything else still that require 'regular' jobs.

I like the notion of getting away from the rat race but like 3fingers not sure i could do it. Id miss stupid stuff like alot of the social side and playing 5 asides etc

I've had no problem job wise. Started working at sea when I first moved up, fish farming, then construction. Been working in a pharma factory for last ten years. 

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, superjack said:

I've had no problem job wise. Started working at sea when I first moved up, fish farming, then construction. Been working in a pharma factory for last ten years. 

Pleased it worked out for you.

37 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Pleased it worked out for you.

Thanks. What I feel helped was knowing plenty of people here before we moved. And plenty of jambos as well.

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, superjack said:

Thanks. What I feel helped was knowing plenty of people here before we moved. And plenty of jambos as well.

You’ve got it made.

👍

19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’ve got it made.

👍

And now there is a crowd of us that have just started the lewis and harris hearts supporters club, makes it that little bit better.

I'd second the otter bunkhouse recommendation.  The Grinneabhat community run hostel in Bragar (westside) was planned to open Junex but delayed due to covid, keep an eye out for it as it's in an amazing location, with rooms of up to 4, so could be good and cheap option for a family.

To me it's paradise here. If you like outdoor stuff (walking, wild swimming, biking, fishing), chilling out, and having plenty if space - go for it!  If you want facilities and regualr tourist stuff, maybe not.  I mean, the infrastructure has inproved a lot even in last 5years, but who knows how restaurants and other services will fare now.

37 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

I'd second the otter bunkhouse recommendation.  The Grinneabhat community run hostel in Bragar (westside) was planned to open Junex but delayed due to covid, keep an eye out for it as it's in an amazing location, with rooms of up to 4, so could be good and cheap option for a family.

To me it's paradise here. If you like outdoor stuff (walking, wild swimming, biking, fishing), chilling out, and having plenty if space - go for it!  If you want facilities and regualr tourist stuff, maybe not.  I mean, the infrastructure has inproved a lot even in last 5years, but who knows how restaurants and other services will fare now.

Theres been a couple of restaurants announce they won't be opening again since lockdown, including what was probably the beat 1 in town, digby chicks. Still a few decent ones open as well though.

1 thing I would recommend is don't do a cycling holiday up here in case you get in my way and hold me up.

6 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I always fancied Barra but I hate midgies and the whole west coast seems to be a mecca for them.

They are fecking murder up here. When I was still in construction I always carried 2 mosquito nets in my piece bag. 1 had a small hole so I could smoke, and when not smoking the other would go in top like double glazing.

Ron Burgundy
20 minutes ago, superjack said:

They are fecking murder up here. When I was still in construction I always carried 2 mosquito nets in my piece bag. 1 had a small hole so I could smoke, and when not smoking the other would go in top like double glazing.

What's the attraction for them up that way? I don't imagine it's that humid and it would probably be fairly windy.

21 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

What's the attraction for them up that way? I don't imagine it's that humid and it would probably be fairly windy.

They live in the grassy areas and near water. When it's windy you usually dont get them at all unless somewhere sheltered. In my garden, it is quite sheltered so even if it's windy it can still be murder. When a few of us go out for the night fishing, the first thing we do is light a fire to keep our camping area clear. We just cover ourselves as much as possible. 2 midge nets, I will tape my trouser legs to my boots and sleeves to light gloves. Hey still get in though sometimes. Went fishing at a loch in Harris years ago, there were that many midges, ot was the first time in my life that I had ever heard midges making noises.

Ron Burgundy
2 minutes ago, superjack said:

They live in the grassy areas and near water. When it's windy you usually dont get them at all unless somewhere sheltered. In my garden, it is quite sheltered so even if it's windy it can still be murder. When a few of us go out for the night fishing, the first thing we do is light a fire to keep our camping area clear. We just cover ourselves as much as possible. 2 midge nets, I will tape my trouser legs to my boots and sleeves to light gloves. Hey still get in though sometimes. Went fishing at a loch in Harris years ago, there were that many midges, ot was the first time in my life that I had ever heard midges making noises.

Sounds horrific.

I think I will plan a visit in winter.

7 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Beaches you say! 

3fingersreid
7 hours ago, Barack said:

That's what I seen when I was there.

20200724_114036.jpg

20200724_114011.jpg

When you visit places like that,  preferably with the phone off -unless taking pictures - you just feel the stress and worry disappearing , a great place for the soul . 

3fingersreid

Luskentyre beach on the Isle of Lewis has just been voted as one of the top beaches in Europe 

Edited by 3fingersreid

I passed a beach while I was driving from Oban to Inverness, but I went across and up the country, instead of up and across. It was beautiful. I wish I knew where it was. :( I'd go for a wee visit. 

Edited by ri Alban

25 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Luskentyre beach on the Isle of Lewis has just been voted as one of the top beaches in Europe 

Luskentyre is actually in Harris. As Harris/ Lewis is all one island, but with two distinctly different areas, people often mix them up.

We're heading up to Garenin in Lewis in September, it's a cottage we've stayed in before belonging to a friend of my wife, just a few minutes walk from the blackhouses superjack mentioned. I'll be driving down to Harris to walk in the fantastic hills there, and no doubt we'll visit Luskentyre. 

3fingersreid
52 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Luskentyre is actually in Harris. As Harris/ Lewis is all one island, but with two distinctly different areas, people often mix them up.

We're heading up to Garenin in Lewis in September, it's a cottage we've stayed in before belonging to a friend of my wife, just a few minutes walk from the blackhouses superjack mentioned. I'll be driving down to Harris to walk in the fantastic hills there, and no doubt we'll visit Luskentyre. 

You are of course correct , I make that mistake all the bloody time as I have family on Lewis 🙈🙈🙈

youll need to post pics and dig out this thread to post them 👍🏻

58 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

You are of course correct , I make that mistake all the bloody time as I have family on Lewis 🙈🙈🙈

youll need to post pics and dig out this thread to post them 👍🏻

😀 Last year we stayed on Scalpay, which as you'll know is just off Harris. The problems we had trying to explain to my parents that we were staying on an Island just off Harris, but not Lewis, were exasperating. Given that, most of the time, we spent wandering around on Harris anyway, we ended up just saying "aye, we were on Harris" and they think we "visited" Scalpay. They are in their late eighties mind you.

I don't know about photos, I'm a pretty crap photographer. The Mrs is quite good though.

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I do enjoy a drive to Luskentyre on a nice day, about an hour and a half. The beat beaches though are in Uig on Lewis. Reef being the best of the lot.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

I do enjoy a drive to Luskentyre on a nice day, about an hour and a half. The beat beaches though are in Uig on Lewis. Reef being the best of the lot.

Really nice drive to get there too. I also really like the beach at Huisinish in Harris too, that also has an "interesting" drive to get there, past the old whaling station.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Lewis and Harris are absolutely stunning. The Inner Hebrides are worth a visit too. 

We're considering a trip to Mull and Iona next spring. Beaches there look amazing too.

11 hours ago, whodanny said:

Really nice drive to get there too. I also really like the beach at Huisinish in Harris too, that also has an "interesting" drive to get there, past the old whaling station.

The problem with the Harris beaches is there are usually lots of tourists. Go to Uig though, nowhere near as bad.

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We're considering a trip to Mull and Iona next spring. Beaches there look amazing too.

Been to Mull, its lovely, at about 10 caught my 1st wild trout on a fast running stream.

Folk going abroad , this is the chance for them to see how beautifull our own country is.

the ferry from oban only takes about an hour.

On 31/07/2020 at 07:24, superjack said:

The problem with the Harris beaches is there are usually lots of tourists. Go to Uig though, nowhere near as bad.

I think you're right, Huisinish last year was pretty busy. Considering it's quite a drive on a narrow, twisting road, I was surprised at the number of folk there and the difficulty we had to get parked. We only went there that day as we had several hours to kill before getting the ferry at Tarbert back to Skye. This year we're sailing from Ullapool to Stornoway. It's been a few years since we were last at Uig, but I reckon we'll pay a visit when we're on Lewis in September.We'll probably visit Traigh Shanndaigh (Eoropie Beech) too. The problem is we've only got 7 days this time and as usual we want to cram as much into the trip as possible. I also want to eat at The Anchorage restaurant away down at Leverburgh too (If it's open) been there a couple of times before, and the food was outstanding. But it all depends on what we can do in the time we've got. There also used to be a great wee seafood place up at Ness, we might go there if it's still open. 

Weakened Offender
On 24/07/2020 at 10:49, superjack said:

I watched a Derby in Lewis once, the pub had loads of Hearts stuff along the bar. 2009, I think. 

On 31/07/2020 at 07:30, Harry Potter said:

Been to Mull, its lovely, at about 10 caught my 1st wild trout on a fast running stream.

Folk going abroad , this is the chance for them to see how beautifull our own country is.

the ferry from oban only takes about an hour.

Mull and Iona are just beautiful places. Iona must be the most peaceful place I've ever been. The only downside to Mull is that it's really expensive to eat out. They say it's because of the transport costs to get supplies there, but it's surely no more expensive than the outer Hebrides to transport goods, and I don't find them to be overly expensive.

Edited by whodanny

Harry Potter
19 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Mull and Iona are just beautiful places. Iona must be the most peaceful place I've ever been. The only downside to Mull is that it's really expensive to eat out. They say it's because of the transport costs to get supplies there, but it's surely no more expensive than the outer Hebrides to transport goods, and I don't find them to be overly expensive.

We went to Iona when across in mull, my late mum bought this wee gift, sits proudly on  

my tv table. 

P1010002.JPG

16 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

We went to Iona when across in mull, my late mum bought this wee gift, sits proudly on  

my tv table. 

P1010002.JPG

Really nice wee momento for you. I'm in no way a religious person,  got no time for religion, but I can understand why Iona became an important center for early christian people. I've never experienced such a sense of peace and tranquility anywhere, even on long nights camping out in the mountains. It's certainly a far cry from an absolutely jumping Tynecastle !

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

I watched a Derby in Lewis once, the pub had loads of Hearts stuff along the bar. 2009, I think. 

The lewis bar, the ex owner was a massive Jambo. The first time I came up here, the missus said that that would be the pub I would like the most. I wasn't sure at first, and then I seen the hearts scarves behind the bar and old pictures around the pool table.

Weakened Offender
Just now, superjack said:

The lewis bar, the ex owner was a massive Jambo. The first time I came up here, the missus said that that would be the pub I would like the most. I wasn't sure at first, and then I seen the hearts scarves behind the bar and old pictures around the pool table.

That's the place. I thought it was a lucky omen too but sadly it wasn't on the night. 🙄