McGlynn on Jamie Walker

Clerry Jambo

Clerry Jambo

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/his-day-jamie-walker-unplayable-robbie-neilson-backed-get-best-out-attacker-2917482

‘On his day Jamie Walker is unplayable’ - Robbie Neilson backed to get best out of attacker

John McGlynn gave Walker his Hearts debut 8 years ago today and believes the player can rediscover the magic under Neilson

8 hours ago
Saturday, 18th July 2020, 9:27 am

Jamie Walker has outstanding natural ability.

The return of Robbie Neilson to Hearts could be the boost Jamie Walker needs to kick-start his career.

That is according to the man who gave him his professional debut as a loanee at Raith Rovers and then, having played that vital role in his early development, fast-tracked him into the Hearts first team when they both found themselves back at Gorgie preparing for the start of the 2012-13 season.

John McGlynn had long recognised the natural talent of Jamie Walker, having given him his breakthrough at Stark’s Park and then, when he took over from Paulo Sergio at Hearts, he stayed true to the blossoming youngster, elevating him into the first team squad.

Jamie Walker flourished under Robbie Neilson during the manager's first spell in charge at Hearts.

Eight years ago today, he handed him his first appearance for the capital side and while it wasn’t notable in terms of scoreline from his point of view – the Jambos lost 1-0 to Falkirk in a pre-season friendly – it kicked off the then 19-year-old’s Tynecastle career. Since then he has gone on to amass over 200 competitive appearances during two stints at the Gorgie side, with a spell at Wigan in between.

Injury has contributed to him struggling to reassert himself since returning there last summer, though, and McGlynn, who is back at Raith, has warned the man he describes as a “matchwinner” that he now needs to kick on or risk being left to rue unfulfilled potential.

“There are not many players who can change games the way Jamie can. On his day, he is a matchwinner,” said McGlynn. “There is that wee drop of the shoulder, a step-over or turn of pace and he has a finish in him and can score goals so while there are guys who will give you six out of ten all the time, Jamie is capable of nine and a half. He can win a game on his own and that is the difference between Jamie and your bang average players.

“On his day he is unplayable and we could see that from an early age. He came on loan to Raith while he was still part of the under-19s and he was the difference in us winning games. He was different class.

John McGlynn gave Jamie Walker his Hearts debut eight years ago today.

“He then had a great time back at Hearts and earned his move. That move maybe didn’t work out long term but he came back and he might have expected things to go a bit better for him and the club.”

Instead there was the knee injury and the leg break and by the time the man, who can play out wide or in a central role, returned to the fold, the team were toiling to avoid relegation and he and others were thrown back in before they were match fit as they were charged with reversing the decline. Worse still, under Daniel Stendel, he had young up and comers like Lewis Moore and Euan Henderson ahead of him in the pecking order. 

Those were trying circumstances but his old boss is backing him to pick himself back up and remind Scottish football of the attributes that saw him burn so brightly in those early days and earned him a move to England and the interest of national coaches.

“Now he has to put that aside and push on. There is no doubt that he has still got plenty of time to kick on and have a really good career but he does need to kick on again now and prove again to everyone that he still has that magic.”

Ideally, Hearts would love an older and wiser version of the player who, early in his career took responsibility and stepped up when administration left them fighting a fierce, albeit losing battle against relegation; the Jamie Walker who, at times, ran rampant as the team proceeded to bounce straight back up the following year and who, with confidence high, then slammed home 15 goals and dazzled in the 2016/17 season.

He has been working to deliver, putting in the grind on days off towards the end of the old campaign and grafting to ensure he can hit the ground running when the squad eventually returns under Neilson, who figured out how to get the best out of him when they last worked together.

“He is quite a quiet boy but within him there is a deep-lying confidence in his own ability,” says McGlynn. “Like everyone, he likes pats on the back. He is a lad who likes an arm round the shoulder and you sometimes need a bit of kidology and man-management skills to get him to perform but if you do that you get something special out of him.

“There is a trick to it and he just needs somebody to believe in him and he responds to that better than to other things.

“He will be looking forward to working with Robbie, who knows what he has got and what he is capable of and how to get that out of him. It is a match made in heaven.”

Legalities continuing, Hearts are still unsure what league they will be in next term but if, as it looks just now, they have to contest the Championship, McGlynn believes it will benefit Walker and leave several defenders at his mercy.

“Hearts are going to have a lot of the ball in the Championship and they will be able to do a lot of attacking and that is going to suit Jamie perfectly so, yeah, it could be one step back, two step forwards. I would expect him to kick on and grow in confidence and remind us all just how good he can be. I just hope he doesn’t turn it on when he is playing us!”

I like Jamie and I think he has a lot to offer, needs to get the finger out and put the work in though.

1 minute ago, indianajones said:

Speaks volumes about mcglynn. 

Walker is pish. 

He’s not when he can be arsed. 

Greedy Jambo

Walker was the best player at Hearts before he buggered off down south, you can't question his ability, he's either been unfit of late or his legs have gone after his injuries. 

A player who needs the right manager and environment more than most.

Hopefully with Neilson back Walker can get back in the right mindset again.

Clerry Jambo
4 minutes ago, kila said:

A player who needs the right manager and environment more than most.

Hopefully with Neilson back Walker can get back in the right mindset again.

Yip agree with this.

Loved watching Jamie when he was flying, the lad has always had a bit class about him and a goal scorer to boot

However, he has a lot of making up to do, needs to get head down, keep fit and he will piss the championship, like his teammates to be honest.

Tennant's  6's
13 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Walker is pish. 

Gotta agree. 

Doesn't seem to have the stamina or desire to even be a top player in Scotland.

I kinda hope that he's one of the ones that we try to get rid of. 

Tennant's  6's
12 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Poor attitude then. 

Players should always be arsed to play, gove their all. 

It's that cant be arsed, weak willed mentality that have seen us dripp down the league over the last few yrs.

9 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Which is when? 

Very rarely.  Just wish something would click with the boy. 

5 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Poor attitude then. 

Players should always be arsed to play, gove their all. 

It's that cant be arsed, weak willed mentality that have seen us dripp down the league over the last few yrs.

Couldn’t agree more.  He’s not a pish footballer though, which is tragic overall. 

26 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Walker was the best player at Hearts before he buggered off down south, you can't question his ability, he's either been unfit of late or his legs have gone after his injuries. 

He is crocked.  Never fully recovered after his knee surgery. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Think there’s a bit too much harsh posts here toward Walker, not as though it was a torn hamstring last season or recurring injury or fitness related injury or poor attitude. He put his body on the line and broke his leg for the club. A shame, as I think we’d have had better results in November-December had he remained fit. 

Under Neilson, Jamie Walker had the best 2 individual seasons of his career. 

Instead of all this miserable negativity above, let’s hope John McGlynn is right here, let’s believe Neilson can help Jamie Walker turn it around and get back to his best. Because if that happens it can only be good news for Hearts.

Willing to give the laddie a chance but I feel folk are quickly running out of patience with him. 

Was magnificent until he got tapped up by Rangers then downed tools while trying to engineer a move to them. Ended up with him getting splinters on his arse for 2 years at Wigan and we haven't seen much since. 

Greedy Jambo

Half the team were crocked under Levein to be honest, Haring, Souttar, Berra all ended up crocked and were never the same, Naismith could barely string 2 games together. I'm willing to give Walker the benefit of the doubt, last chance saloon though. 

Worthing Jambo
6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Think there’s a bit too much harsh posts here toward Walker, not as though it was a torn hamstring last season or recurring injury or fitness related injury or poor attitude. He put his body on the line and broke his leg for the club. A shame, as I think we’d have had better results in November-December had he remained fit. 

Under Neilson, Jamie Walker had the best 2 individual seasons of his career. 

Instead of all this miserable negativity above, let’s hope John McGlynn is right here, let’s believe Neilson can help Jamie Walker turn it around and get back to his best. Because if that happens it can only be good news for Hearts.

Far too sensible a post.

Let’s hope Jamie can recapture some of that early form.

Clerry Jambo
12 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Thought he was starting to look decent until the injury at Motherwell.

He was just unlucky 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Walker is pish. 

He really isn’t. Imo obviously. 
He’s had some injuries but a fit and hungry Walker gets us goals. 

Im pretty biased though I’ve always been a fan of Walker. He gets far too much stick for me. 
He’s one of the most fouled players I watch too. Reminds me of the treatment Colquhoun got. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Neverforgetfiveone
42 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Gotta agree. 

Doesn't seem to have the stamina or desire to even be a top player in Scotland.

I kinda hope that he's one of the ones that we try to get rid of. 

100% down to attitude. Should never have even considered resigning Walker. Thinks he’s the big fish in the small pond. Riordan(esque) at H1B5, nowhere near the right attitude to be a top player. Has the ability but not between the ears!

Greedy Jambo
9 minutes ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

100% down to attitude. Should never have even considered resigning Walker. Thinks he’s the big fish in the small pond. Riordan(esque) at H1B5, nowhere near the right attitude to be a top player. Has the ability but not between the ears!

100% you're talking pish. 

Did Paul Gascoigne have the ability between the ears? 

You could see that he was trying his baws off before the leg break. 

been here before

Has the talent, the skills and the ability.

Lacks the attitude, the desire and the

determination.

Edited by been here before

36 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He really isn’t. Imo obviously. 
He’s had some injuries but a fit and hungry Walker gets us goals. 

Im pretty biased though I’ve always been a fan of Walker. He gets far too much stick for me. 
He’s one of the most fouled players I watch too. Reminds me of the treatment Colquhoun got. 

This!

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Think this is a myth people cling to because they want him to come good (nothing wrong with wanting that obviously). 

He looks like he has the fitness of a 45 year old.

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Walker is pish. 

this. 

mcglynn played McGowan in an attacking midfield role, forgive me for disagreeing with him. 😂

Watched him coming through the ranks, and was convinced he'd be a Scotland regular. A combination of injuries and poor business decisions has cost him dearly. 

Reckon he probably is in last-chance saloon, if he can't recapture his form this year he's toast. 

Neverforgetfiveone
43 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

100% you're talking pish. 

Did Paul Gascoigne have the ability between the ears? 

You could see that he was trying his baws off before the leg break. 

Hahaha he couldn’t wait to get away, couldn’t even work out that Sevco were straining him along! Then when he flopped big time down the road we gave him a life line.... 

And to compare him with Paul Gascoigne - planet you on pal?

Greedy Jambo
Just now, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Hahaha he couldn’t wait to get away, couldn’t even work out that Sevco were straining him along! Then when he flopped big time down the road we gave him a life line.... 

And to compare him with Paul Gascoigne - planet you on pal?

Are you sure you're not just bitter that he left? 

None of what you have just said has any baring on this discussion. 

He's a hearts player now and we're discussing if he can be the player he once was. 

Personally i just think that his legs have gone due to the injuries, I won't be holding the past against him. If you were the best player at hearts and there was english teams offering you triple your wages, you'd do the same. 

Neverforgetfiveone
6 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Are you sure you're not just bitter that he left? 

None of what you have just said has any baring on this discussion. 

He's a hearts player now and we're discussing if he can be the player he once was. 

Personally i just think that his legs have gone due to the injuries, I won't be holding the past against him. If you were the best player at hearts and there was english teams offering you triple your wages, you'd do the same. 

Personally I’d break his leg in training and see if we couldn’t claim the insurance! Joker 

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Personally I’d break his leg in training and see if we couldn’t claim the insurance! Joker 

Well that says more about you than it does Jamie Walker. 

Haringshairband
1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

Half the team were crocked under Levein to be honest, Haring, Souttar, Berra all ended up crocked and were never the same, Naismith could barely string 2 games together. I'm willing to give Walker the benefit of the doubt, last chance saloon though. 

This is where I am too.

2 hours ago, indianajones said:

Which is when? 

When he’s winking

joking aside , I really hope he gets back to the winking period and winks only for  HMFC

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Does he? You know this? 
Why would you think this of a local lad? 
Id hate Jamie to be a relative of mine and read this. 
Drivel pal.
Drivel. 

1 hour ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Why would you wish that Hearts ‘couldn’t ‘ claim the insurance?  🤷🏿‍♂️

3 hours ago, Last Laff said:

How often is that though?  Not often enough in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/his-day-jamie-walker-unplayable-robbie-neilson-backed-get-best-out-attacker-2917482

‘On his day Jamie Walker is unplayable’ - Robbie Neilson backed to get best out of attacker

John McGlynn gave Walker his Hearts debut 8 years ago today and believes the player can rediscover the magic under Neilson

8 hours ago
Saturday, 18th July 2020, 9:27 am

Jamie Walker has outstanding natural ability.

The return of Robbie Neilson to Hearts could be the boost Jamie Walker needs to kick-start his career.

That is according to the man who gave him his professional debut as a loanee at Raith Rovers and then, having played that vital role in his early development, fast-tracked him into the Hearts first team when they both found themselves back at Gorgie preparing for the start of the 2012-13 season.

John McGlynn had long recognised the natural talent of Jamie Walker, having given him his breakthrough at Stark’s Park and then, when he took over from Paulo Sergio at Hearts, he stayed true to the blossoming youngster, elevating him into the first team squad.

Jamie Walker flourished under Robbie Neilson during the manager's first spell in charge at Hearts.

Eight years ago today, he handed him his first appearance for the capital side and while it wasn’t notable in terms of scoreline from his point of view – the Jambos lost 1-0 to Falkirk in a pre-season friendly – it kicked off the then 19-year-old’s Tynecastle career. Since then he has gone on to amass over 200 competitive appearances during two stints at the Gorgie side, with a spell at Wigan in between.

Injury has contributed to him struggling to reassert himself since returning there last summer, though, and McGlynn, who is back at Raith, has warned the man he describes as a “matchwinner” that he now needs to kick on or risk being left to rue unfulfilled potential.

“There are not many players who can change games the way Jamie can. On his day, he is a matchwinner,” said McGlynn. “There is that wee drop of the shoulder, a step-over or turn of pace and he has a finish in him and can score goals so while there are guys who will give you six out of ten all the time, Jamie is capable of nine and a half. He can win a game on his own and that is the difference between Jamie and your bang average players.

“On his day he is unplayable and we could see that from an early age. He came on loan to Raith while he was still part of the under-19s and he was the difference in us winning games. He was different class.

John McGlynn gave Jamie Walker his Hearts debut eight years ago today.

“He then had a great time back at Hearts and earned his move. That move maybe didn’t work out long term but he came back and he might have expected things to go a bit better for him and the club.”

Instead there was the knee injury and the leg break and by the time the man, who can play out wide or in a central role, returned to the fold, the team were toiling to avoid relegation and he and others were thrown back in before they were match fit as they were charged with reversing the decline. Worse still, under Daniel Stendel, he had young up and comers like Lewis Moore and Euan Henderson ahead of him in the pecking order. 

Those were trying circumstances but his old boss is backing him to pick himself back up and remind Scottish football of the attributes that saw him burn so brightly in those early days and earned him a move to England and the interest of national coaches.

“Now he has to put that aside and push on. There is no doubt that he has still got plenty of time to kick on and have a really good career but he does need to kick on again now and prove again to everyone that he still has that magic.”

Ideally, Hearts would love an older and wiser version of the player who, early in his career took responsibility and stepped up when administration left them fighting a fierce, albeit losing battle against relegation; the Jamie Walker who, at times, ran rampant as the team proceeded to bounce straight back up the following year and who, with confidence high, then slammed home 15 goals and dazzled in the 2016/17 season.

He has been working to deliver, putting in the grind on days off towards the end of the old campaign and grafting to ensure he can hit the ground running when the squad eventually returns under Neilson, who figured out how to get the best out of him when they last worked together.

“He is quite a quiet boy but within him there is a deep-lying confidence in his own ability,” says McGlynn. “Like everyone, he likes pats on the back. He is a lad who likes an arm round the shoulder and you sometimes need a bit of kidology and man-management skills to get him to perform but if you do that you get something special out of him.

“There is a trick to it and he just needs somebody to believe in him and he responds to that better than to other things.

“He will be looking forward to working with Robbie, who knows what he has got and what he is capable of and how to get that out of him. It is a match made in heaven.”

Legalities continuing, Hearts are still unsure what league they will be in next term but if, as it looks just now, they have to contest the Championship, McGlynn believes it will benefit Walker and leave several defenders at his mercy.

“Hearts are going to have a lot of the ball in the Championship and they will be able to do a lot of attacking and that is going to suit Jamie perfectly so, yeah, it could be one step back, two step forwards. I would expect him to kick on and grow in confidence and remind us all just how good he can be. I just hope he doesn’t turn it on when he is playing us!”

This is all a lot of pish to deflect from the fact that Raith are teaming up with the other two no marks to try and stop us staying in the premiership and make it seem like Raith are really a good club.

In reality they are only interested in saving their own skin at the expense of whoever stands in their way.

With any luck we wont be playing Raith anytime soon.

fabienleclerq

Jamie Walker imo owes Hearts big time, he downed tools and still owes me my ticket money from when he chucked that game at Motherwell!! 

He's won a watch getting a contract from us second time round and it's time he showed he was worth it. 

I thought he would really become something and that season a few years ago when he couldn't stop scoring was really impressive. However a combination of injuries and the bizarre move to Wigan seem to have broken JW. Not sure if he will ever get back to where he was and unfortunately he doesn't seem to want to put in serious work either.

8 hours ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

You'd break a hearts players leg in training ,wow big hard man you are 😂

Seymour M Hersh
13 hours ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Soft lad.

Neverforgetfiveone
6 hours ago, jambocub said:

You'd break a hearts players leg in training ,wow big hard man you are 😂

Nothing to do with how hard I am - it’s about recouping some of the cost back... and it was obviously a joke! 

point is we should never have went near him again. His next move will be down the way or he will retire injured. He will not be resurrecting his career with us... that is a certainty!

35 minutes ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Nothing to do with how hard I am - it’s about recouping some of the cost back... and it was obviously a joke! 

point is we should never have went near him again. His next move will be down the way or he will retire injured. He will not be resurrecting his career with us... that is a certainty!

We'll see