Pub name help please

Morgan

Hope someone can help?

We are trying to remember the names of two pubs in Edinburgh.  No success on Google.

First one was on Waterloo Place (heading eastwards).  I think it was opposite the Scottish Office building.  Maybe about 25 years ago?

Second was on Queensferry Street.  Same side as Mathers but further down, heading away from the West End.  I think you perhaps entered it by going down a few wee stairs.  Maybe about 20 years ago?

Thanks!

Q Bar was on Leith Street. Used to do a great 2 for 1 happy hour back in the day. 

The basement bar on QF Street was 36 (?) Canoes Tiki Bar. Not sure what it was before that. 

Was the one on Waterloo Place the Trafalgar Lounge? 

Edited by Craig_

Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

Q Bar was on Leith Street. Used to do a great 2 for 1 happy hour back in the day. 

The basement bar o. QF Street was 36 (?) Canoes Tiki Bar. Not sure what it was before that. 

The second one was also an Oirish theme bar (Malone's? began with an 'M' anyway, I think) for a while.

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

The second one was also an Oirish theme bar (Malone's? began with an 'M' anyway, I think) for a while.

If the second one is the one I’m thinking of I was in it once or twice in the late 80’s. Just a normal boozer at that time but might have been Irish themed. Been driving me nuts trying to remember the name. 

21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Hope someone can help?

We are trying to remember the names of two pubs in Edinburgh.  No success on Google.

First one was on Waterloo Place (heading eastwards).  I think it was opposite the Scottish Office building.  Maybe about 25 years ago?

Second was on Queensferry Street.  Same side as Mathers but further down, heading away from the West End.  I think you perhaps entered it by going down a few wee stairs.  Maybe about 20 years ago?

Thanks!

It’s on the tip of my tongue. 
It is now Howies Restaurant. 

Edited by jb102

Auld Reekin'
Just now, GinRummy said:

If the second one is the one I’m thinking of I was in it once or twice in the late 80’s. Just a normal boozer at that time but might have been Irish themed. Been driving me nuts trying to remember the name. 

Yep - that would've been around the right era. It was definitely Oirish at that stage, but wasn't too o.t.t. and was therefore OK.

The one on Queensferry Street (Probably Melville Place)down a few steps was Scruffy Murphy's 1995 but has had about 6 names since then.

Clarinda's was called Jules about the same time on Waterloo Place.

Edited by ginga

3 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Definitely a boozer. I remember smashing **** out of it after the barman pushed my handicapped mate the groom by the way off his crutches. 

Edited by jb102

4 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Definitely a boozer. I remember smashing **** out of it after the barman pushed my handicapped mate the groom by the way off his crutches. 

😀

Nae ^^^^ leaves till I find oot whit ^^^^ did that! 

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, ginga said:

The one on Queensferry Street (Probably Melville Place)down a few steps was Scruffy Murphy's 1995 but has had about 6 names since then.

Clarinda's was called Jules about the same time.

Was it called anything else before scruffy Murphys?

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Buskers in the 1980's and before that The Randolph.

39 minutes ago, jimmyjambo said:

Clarindas? Waterloo place

I think that’s the one I’m thinking about!  :thumbsup:

Many thanks.

7 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

The pub in Queensferry St not called the Randolph?

6 minutes ago, ginga said:

Randolph rings a bell.

My wife has just said the Ainslie bar, but I can’t find out where that was.

38 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Hi Morgan. If you have time to scroll, this may reveal what you're after. https://m.facebook.com/EdinburghPubHistory/

Otherwise, our resident guru who frequents Thomson's will have a definitive answer. 

Thanks, SC.

I did think that Mr Lyon would pop up at some stage.

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Thanks, SC.

I did think that Mr Lyon would pop up at some stage.

I sense he's blowing the dust off the leather-bound almanac as we speak... 😄

queensferryjambo
13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It was called Buskers (as previously mentioned) then I am sure it was called some else Irishy (can't remember the exact name) then became Scruffy Murphys. 

I used to go late 80s early 90s with a pile of fellow apprentices on a Friday night after work.

11 minutes ago, ginga said:

Randolph, that’s it. Was late 80’s I was in it. Maybe still known as the Randolph though.  👍

2 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

It was called Buskers (as previously mentioned) then I am sure it was called some else Irishy (can't remember the exact name) then became Scruffy Murphys. 

I used to go late 80s early 90s with a pile of fellow apprentices on a Friday night after work.

The name I was thinking of was the Randolph. Was in it a couple of times after work with an old guy I worked with at the time. Maybe he just called it that afternoon rot changed name but that was definitely the name I was thinking of. 

Was maybe in it at the same time as you. 

Edited by GinRummy

The Ainslie was a few door up from Scruffy Murphys but no steps, it is now called the West Room and was Halo Bar in the early 2000's

Thanks to everyone who has helped out here. 

JKB is great for this sort of information seeking.

57 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I sense he's blowing the dust off the leather-bound almanac as we speak... 😄

He’s a good man, is Stuart.

Used to spend a lot of his time in the library and in the National Library on George IV Bridge.

I mind a pub on Queensferry Street, that had a side door onto a wee lane. Is that the one in question? 

Pub on Waterloo place when it was Clarindas , was named after Agnes Maclehose, who was known as Clarinda. She was a mistress to Robert Burns.

Enzo Chiefo
47 minutes ago, obua said:

Pub on Waterloo place when it was Clarindas , was named after Agnes Maclehose, who was known as Clarinda. She was a mistress to Robert Burns.

Interesting. Lots of the streets in the Inch also named after Burns.....Robert Burns Drive, Jean Armour Ave, Clarinda Terr....

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Interesting. Lots of the streets in the Inch also named after Burns.....Robert Burns Drive, Jean Armour Ave, Clarinda Terr....

I found that info on ewh.org.uk

1 hour ago, Hairdryer said:

The bar on Queensferry street was called rankines 

:wtfvlad: now.

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

I mind a pub on Queensferry Street, that had a side door onto a wee lane. Is that the one in question? 

Which part of Queensferry Street, LG?

Can’t think of that place at all.

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Are you thinking of what used to be The Engine Room? In The side door and then downstairs. Queensferry Street Lane, it’s still there as a club that has some very dodgy types hanging outside a lot of the time. 

Auld Reekin'
32 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Are you thinking of what used to be The Engine Room? In The side door and then downstairs. Queensferry Street Lane, it’s still there as a club that has some very dodgy types hanging outside a lot of the time. 

:ratboy::oconnor: :stantoned: :lenny:  :hibernan:       

or not quite as dodgy as that?   :huh:

Edited by Auld Reekin'

John Findlay
4 hours ago, ginga said:

Clarinda's was called Jules about the same time on Waterloo Place.

Scruffy Murphy's is what I remember.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Which part of Queensferry Street, LG?

Can’t think of that place at all.

It must have been The Engine Room I was thinking of.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Thanks for that. I was only ever in it once or twice, maybe 35 years ago. 

The only bar I recall that you entered down some steps on melville place was known as Hank''s Cellar bar in the late 70''s early 80''s. The owner, an American,  banked with us at BofS Drumsheugh branch.

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Was in there a few times.

the general
14 hours ago, Bagel said:

Was the one on Queensferry Street not O'Neill's at some point? Or i maybe have my streets mixed up

Scruffy Murphy 2

the general
13 hours ago, obua said:

Yes had reprints of letters between them on the walls

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hope someone can help?

Thanks!

The randolph  at the west end 

kawasakijambo
18 hours ago, ginga said:

The Ainslie was a few door up from Scruffy Murphys but no steps, it is now called the West Room and was Halo Bar in the early 2000's

We have a winner, used to have boxes of chocalates behind the bar for those that stayed out a tad late.

6 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Glad you got that cleared up Morgan! Ginga is your man.

:2thumbsup: