Indian restaurants

JWL

Been a while since I sat in for an Indian up town. What's the recommendations these days; think most are opening from Friday?

Samuel Camazzola

Not an Indian but the Nepalese restaurant, Khukuri on West Maitland Street has impressed on the last couple of occasions. 

I've been to several centrally based restaurants over the years and this one has never disappointed. 

Based on own experiences, I wouldn't recommend Omar Khayyam. Overpriced and underwhelming. 

Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, Seaside jambo said:

Mother India in infirmary street is first class 

This.

The food is generally excellent and the tapas style setup means you get to try lots of different things if that's your fancy.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Seaside jambo said:

23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Dishoom On St. Andrews is very good imo. 

I can vouch for these two as being past successes although I haven't been to either for about two years. 

N Lincs Jambo
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not an Indian but the Nepalese restaurant, Khukuri on West Maitland Street has impressed on the last couple of occasions. 

I've been to several centrally based restaurants over the years and this one has never disappointed. 

Based on own experiences, I wouldn't recommend Omar Khayyam. Overpriced and underwhelming. 

Did that place used to be The Indian Cavalry Club? Loved that place in the 90s and had my best “eat-out Christmas dinner “ there with my late mother around 95. Last time I was in Edinburgh around 2 years ago it was shut.

1 minute ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Did that place used to be The Indian Cavalry Club? Loved that place in the 90s and had my best “eat-out Christmas dinner “ there with my late mother around 95. Last time I was in Edinburgh around 2 years ago it was shut.

That was my favourite when we came up for a game, great place.

N Lincs Jambo
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

That was my favourite when we came up for a game, great place.

It certainly was, that and the Verandah on Dalry Road. Definitely a Hearts restaurant with loads of Hearts player pics on the walls

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

No, Khukuri is just around the corner from the Haymaker Bar (on the same pavement). Wasn't ICC on the other side of the road? 

N Lincs Jambo
12 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

No, Khukuri is just around the corner from the Haymaker Bar (on the same pavement). Wasn't ICC on the other side of the road? 

ICC was on the south side of West Maitland St. I checked out some photos of the Khukuri after I saw your post and internally it looks very similar with the long dining room and high white walls. I’m still not sure but the photos got me thinking 

Edit, just checked on Google street view and it definitely isn’t the same place. ICC was further along WMS and you went up a small flight of steps to get in.

Edited by N Lincs Jambo
Further research

N Lincs Jambo
3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Khukuri next to The Haymarket Bar  is excellent as is Ignite just around the corner. My favourite in Edinburgh now is Rustom directly opposite Omar Khayyam which is pish when compared to the others mentioned above. All within yards of each other.

If you haven't tried Rustom  then give it a go.

Went to Ignite last time I was up. It was excellent!

Samuel Camazzola
39 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Went to Ignite last time I was up. It was excellent!

There were two on that stretch of Morrison St at one point but can't recall if it's Ignite or the other that remains. 

Samuel Camazzola
47 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Khukuri next to The Haymarket Bar  is excellent as is Ignite just around the corner. My favourite in Edinburgh now is Rustom directly opposite Omar Khayyam which is pish when compared to the others mentioned above. All within yards of each other.

If you haven't tried Rustom  then give it a go.

I've been to Rustom once and food was decent. Handy for meeting others due to its location. 

My only gripe was they tried to squeeze seven of us into a table for six instead of eight despite there being no others around. 

Stuart Lyon

The ICC was at 3 Atholl Place opposite Otro at the corner of Manor Place and Coates Pl  it is now Mumbai Diners Club.

Ignite remains in Morrison St - the other Indian restaurant was Mumbai Mansion now closed. I think Shebeen took over the premises but didn't last long.

Samuel Camazzola

A very pleasant surprise from a couple of years ago was Nutan's on Home Street (just along from the Cameo cinema). 

The menu was brief - which was no bad thing-- and the place seemed to be operated by one little woman who took the orders, served the drinks and cooked the meals. Its a small little restaurant which doesn't seat many. The bill was very cheap too. 

I may have to make a return visit! 

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 12:23, Seaside jambo said:

Going on Friday

the general
19 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The ICC was at 3 Atholl Place opposite Otro at the corner of Manor Place and Coates Pl  it is now Mumbai Diners Club.

Ignite remains in Morrison St - the other Indian restaurant was Mumbai Mansion now closed. I think Shebeen took over the premises but didn't last long.

ICC had 2 different locations iirc was it not previously in the Otro site? Tradition restaurant to the left and pakora bar to right

the general
22 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

There were two on that stretch of Morrison St at one point but can't recall if it's Ignite or the other that remains. 

Ignite is still there ..Mumbai Mansions is no more

the general
20 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Before mumbai diners took it over it was a very good Chinese called Chinatown

Stuart Lyon
6 minutes ago, the general said:

Before mumbai diners took it over it was a very good Chinese called Chinatown

I remember that now. 

I thought the ICC moved to where the Otro is now.

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, JWL said:

Going on Friday

Enjoy! To manage your expectations, I assume you're aware they serve tapas style dishes? Just in case you're gearing up for a big plate of something specific. 👍 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Enjoy! To manage your expectations, I assume you're aware they serve tapas style dishes? Just in case you're gearing up for a big plate of something specific. 👍 

Yeah, have been told about it before but never got round to going. Looking forward to it but can't see their menu on the website.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, JWL said:

Yeah, have been told about it before but never got round to going. Looking forward to it but can't see their menu on the website.

They have a main restaurant in Glasgow which serves 'regular' dishes and is good too. 

Hopefully they don't have a reduced menu and you get to sample several things. 

Is Zest still at St Andrew’s Square? That was always a good Indian for popping into as a casual thing like walking home from town and realising you couldn’t be arsed cooking, which seemed to happen a lot with me and an ex. 

the general
10 hours ago, JWL said:

The knack is to balance your wet and dry choices !!  Too much of either spoils it a little

2 hours ago, the general said:

The knack is to balance your wet and dry choices !!  Too much of either spoils it a little

I shall take that on board. What beers do they have? Cobra, Kingfisher?

the general
49 minutes ago, JWL said:

Hmmmmm not sure what one of the 2

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, JWL said:

John Winston, see if this link helps. Hopefully it's in use. 

https://www.motherindia.co.uk/index.php/mother-indias-cafe-edinburgh-home/191-mother-indias-cafe-edinburgh-table-menu

Meant to add, this is for food (the haddock was superb). I can't recall the drinks choices though. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

On 15/07/2020 at 11:50, Samuel Camazzola said:

Tried booking a place for my football teams christmas do, and they were wanting to charge something ridiculous like £25 a head deposit. ****s.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Tried booking a place for my football teams christmas do, and they were wanting to charge something ridiculous like £25 a head deposit. ****s.

I didn't enjoy it. 

There is a wee basement restaurant on Rose Street which did tasty curries. Wasn't expecting much as hadn't heard of it and decor was a bit dated but food and service was good. 

Stuart Lyon
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I didn't enjoy it. 

There is a wee basement restaurant on Rose Street which did tasty curries. Wasn't expecting much as hadn't heard of it and decor was a bit dated but food and service was good. 

I think its gone now.   My brother used it regularly and raved about it. I was only in once and it was excellent.

Stuart Lyon

Update from my brother

It was called Shanaz, then Tipoos then finally Indian lounge. The name changes, I suspect, we're to protect the innocent. It was a great place when the old man ran it, he knew how to treat customers. He handed the running to his son who was obnoxious and creepy. The reviews on TripAdvisor were so bad it was entertaining to read. I think he thought he was Rhashid Fawlty.  We stopped going then although it's still there but reviews are mixed. Check their website and TripAdvisor. Cheers

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I didn't enjoy it. 

Indian Lounge? Still there as far as I know. Thought it was pretty decent when I was in a few years ago. Cheers for the menu.

Samuel Camazzola
22 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Update from my brother

It was called Shanaz, then Tipoos then finally Indian lounge. The name changes, I suspect, we're to protect the innocent. It was a great place when the old man ran it, he knew how to treat customers. He handed the running to his son who was obnoxious and creepy. The reviews on TripAdvisor were so bad it was entertaining to read. I think he thought he was Rhashid Fawlty.  We stopped going then although it's still there but reviews are mixed. Check their website and TripAdvisor. Cheers

How long ago did it change hands? I'll need to give it a read. Cheers 

22 minutes ago, JWL said:

Indian Lounge? Still there as far as I know. Thought it was pretty decent when I was in a few years ago. Cheers for the menu.

That sounds like the name. A little along from the retro Bar (which was El Barrio and a pool hall at one point)? 

Stuart Lyon
4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That sounds like the name. A little along from the retro Bar (which was El Barrio and a pool hall at one point)? 

Not sure about El Barios or the pool hall - not frequented Rose St for many years.

the general
28 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Next door to Ticket Scotland near Kenilworth

Oh and it looks like Omar Khayams is getting a complete makeover

Samuel Camazzola
17 minutes ago, the general said:

Next door to Ticket Scotland near Kenilworth

Oh and it looks like Omar Khayams is getting a complete makeover

Cheers.

Re OK, I doubt I'll be back. 😄

Mother India was excellent with the monkfish being the winner; beautiful, just melted in the mouth. Looking forward to a return visit.

Seaside jambo
36 minutes ago, JWL said:

Mother India was excellent with the monkfish being the winner; beautiful, just melted in the mouth. Looking forward to a return visit.

Glad you enjoyed your visit 

I will have to try the monkfish when I get back there