JJ back in town

Dusk_Till_Dawn

5 hours ago, niblick1874 said:

Why?

He isn’t DoF, he isn’t Sporting Director, he isn’t Manager or Head Coach. Why would a Board advisor be picking players to sign?  

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• wavydavy

• soonbe110

• Thomaso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He isn’t DoF, he isn’t Sporting Director, he isn’t Manager or Head Coach. Why would a Board advisor be picking players to sign?  

It's just a title. I'd imagine he'll have some sort of influence in every area, not just advising the board. If he knows of any players he feels would improve Hearts I'm sure the board/Robbie would listen

JJ is the type of person that looks exactly the same no matter that their age is. His appearance just does not alter haha

59 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Why you seemingly getting hot and bothered about it, mate?

I’d imagine advising could entail him being asked his opinion on prospective signings incase he has some knowledge about them?

His role may not go to lengths of scouting or being involved with contract talks but why would you not use JJs extensive experience on actual football matters? He’s not there to give times when the museum should open.  😜

9 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

JJ is the type of person that looks exactly the same no matter that their age is. His appearance just does not alter haha

Agree

7 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Absolutely amazing news having JJ involved with the club.

A legend in the game.

Glad he's in good fettle...  Genuine football man....   

TyphoonJambo

Hows his health? I know he said he actually died for a while (not  like  a zombie or vampire like😉) Just hope he doesn't overdo it. 

Edited by TypoonJambo

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
On 16/07/2020 at 08:15, soonbe110 said:

When we get back to playing, in whichever division we end up in, JJ around the club on a matchday is an unexpected bonus - whatver his title.

1 hour ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

When we get back to playing, in whichever division we end up in, JJ around the club on a matchday is an unexpected bonus - whatver his title.

His title is advisor to the Board.  The rest is poster speculation.

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 08:15, soonbe110 said:

I'd imagine he'[d be part of the process of finding a DoF/Sporting Director and once that has happened he's likely to take a back seat and just watch the team as a fan. He might also put a few pointers to Neilson if he thinks it would help or if Neilson needs advice about something or someone, a player etc. Unlike Levein he'll leave the final decisions to Neilson and the coaches. He doesn't come across as the type to be anything but supportive as opposed to being arrogant thinking he knows best.

Edited by jambonian

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
57 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

His title is advisor to the Board.  The rest is poster speculation.

Fine ah ken it. 😉

2 hours ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

Good post...   Just lifts the heart

Randy Marsh
2 hours ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

Absolutely.  At long last we will have some positive vibes instead of negative ones. 

Starts Monday.

Says he won't be signing players from videos - says you have to see the player. 

Edited by Mikey1874

On 15/07/2020 at 16:55, soonbe110 said:

Don’t think he has been hired as a scout. He has been hired to advise the Board on footballing matters on a part time basis for 6 months. Hardly likely to allow someone on that basis be responsible for identifying new players. 

He's the temp head of recruitment/sporting director. That's exactly what he'll be doing. 👍 

Says he went to see Stephane Adam in France. But he didn't play. So he told agent he had to see him for 3 days in training instead. 

Good interview by Big JJ today.  Keep getting them telt big man!  Hope you have success with your new job which you start on "Monday" :D 

He's actually got a soothing voice compared to the likes of Cosgrove and Cowan and the likes of the other bbc trouts.

On 16/07/2020 at 09:12, AlimOzturk said:

This

On 15/07/2020 at 10:01, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Advisor to the board. Happy about this 

In all seriousness this is what should have happened 6 years ago when Ann took control of the club and I dont think we would be in the position we are in today if she had.

I am not trying to take anything away from all the great and hard work she has done throughout her tenure at the club but employing Levein was her biggest mistake in my opinion.

Before he has a go at me I will apologise now to JamboAl but sorry this is how I see it.

11 hours ago, wavydavy said:

In all seriousness this is what should have happened 6 years ago when Ann took control of the club and I dont think we would be in the position we are in today if she had.

I am not trying to take anything away from all the great and hard work she has done throughout her tenure at the club but employing Levein was her biggest mistake in my opinion.

Before he has a go at me I will apologise now to JamboAl but sorry this is how I see it.

Davy, there are loads of things she could have done and we'd maybe have been European champions by now.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and is a tool often used by critics who have little or no foresight, nor experience in forward planning.  They are annoying pests, no better than back seat drivers who have never passed a test.

However, you could prove you don't fall into that category by outlining what should happen in, say, the next 2 seasons.

Who should go, who should stay, who should we buy etc?   That will do for starters and we can take it from there.

I think most Hearts fans recognise her great business and infrastructure work but the most key aspect has let her down, footballing decisions. But that’s been done to death over the months.  It’s just some supporters bizarrely refuse to recognise this.  

I hope we see a turning point now, because as they say, we are learning all the time.

I don’t think you’re alone with these thoughts if I’m honest WD.  Lots of us feeling exactly this.

On the playing side our performances and recruitment have been nothing short of criminal. We were lead up a garden path with more promises of jam tomorrow. I won’t be satisfied until most of these ‘duds,’ masquerading as players, are finally shown the door from EH11. Only then will we feel that it’s Robbie’s team now and we can plot a chart for the way forward.

If we do end up in the championship then the silver lining will be that we’ve got another season of mediocrity in a league that we should win at a canter. We don’t need to spend heavily this season and we can get rid of some our deadwood at the end of the playing season. 

We’ve got the right management team in place now and this should see us starting  to pick apart the seams of mediocrity and under achievement to get us back up where we belong. 

ford donald
5 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I don’t think you’re alone with these thoughts if I’m honest WD.  Lots of us feeling exactly this.

On the playing side our performances and recruitment have been nothing short of criminal. We were lead up a garden path with more promises of jam tomorrow. I won’t be satisfied until most of these ‘duds,’ masquerading as players, are finally shown the door from EH11. Only then will we feel that it’s Robbie’s team now and we can plot a chart for the way forward.

If we do end up in the championship then the silver lining will be that we’ve got another season of mediocrity in a league that we should win at a canter. We don’t need to spend heavily this season and we can get rid of some our deadwood at the end of the playing season. 

We’ve got the right management team in place now and this should see us starting  to pick apart the seams of mediocrity and under achievement to get us back up where we belong. 

Sit back and relax,JJ is here.

1 hour ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Even Leslie Deans gets things wrong.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Davy, there are loads of things she could have done and we'd maybe have been European champions by now.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and is a tool often used by critics who have little or no foresight, nor experience in forward planning.  They are annoying pests, no better than back seat drivers who have never passed a test.

However, you could prove you don't fall into that category by outlining what should happen in, say, the next 2 seasons.

Who should go, who should stay, who should we buy etc?   That will do for starters and we can take it from there.

I could reel off a list of players that I think should go but know only too well that you will come back with the old line of how do we get rid of them when they still have  such a long time left on their contract, how mcuh will it cost etc. Similarly if I suggest we try and bring in a specific player you will say how much would it cost and what wages would we pay them etc etc.

All things considered I will just be a back seat driver.

HIndsight is a wonderful thing Al but if you look back my posts you will see that I was never in favour of Levein being DOF or Manager so from that point of view maybe that was not hindisght because I called it way back.

I would have however supported the appointment of JJ had she doen this back then as I do now.

I will say that I found it a bit strange that we gave new contracts albeit fairly short ones to Brandon, Moore and Henderson while apparently without a Manager.

I know that perhaps Andy Kirk may have hand a hand in keeping them but with no DOF or Manager I thought it a bit odd.

2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Had we not had the very generous donations from our benefactors then we could have been in a bit of financial bother assuming that AB would have allowed all the CL panic signings.

I would be wary of saying we should win at a canter though assuming we are in the Championship as I am sure Robbie will not want that mentality rubbing off on the players.

It is one thing being confident but cocky is dangerous. If the players think that they just have to turn to win then that is when you don't win.

On paper with the players we have then we have the potential to win the league but we will have to win it outright unlike some other teams we can think of.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Had we not had the very generous donations from our benefactors then we could have been in a bit of financial bother assuming that AB would have allowed all the CL panic signings.

I would be wary of saying we should win at a canter though assuming we are in the Championship as I am sure Robbie will not want that mentality rubbing off on the players.

It is one thing being confident but cocky is dangerous. If the players think that they just have to turn to win then that is when you don't win.

On paper with the players we have then we have the potential to win the league but we will have to win it outright unlike some other teams we can think of.

Arrogance and confidence can be misconstrued I agree, but if that squad can’t win the championship by a cricket score at least,  then not only will I eat my hat and those hat wearing people around me, I’ll seriously chuck it and take up snakes and ladders on match days instead. 

3 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Also a possibility to give a few more of the youngsters a chance to establish themselves in the team.  A bit like sending them on loan to a Championship club, expect the Championship club is us!

I could reel off a list of players that I think should go but know only too well that you will come back with the old line of how do we get rid of them when they still have  such a long time left on their contract, how mcuh will it cost etc. Similarly if I suggest we try and bring in a specific player you will say how much would it cost and what wages would we pay them etc etc.

All things considered I will just be a back seat driver.

HIndsight is a wonderful thing Al but if you look back my posts you will see that I was never in favour of Levein being DOF or Manager so from that point of view maybe that was not hindisght because I called it way back.

I would have however supported the appointment of JJ had she doen this back then as I do now.

I will say that I found it a bit strange that we gave new contracts albeit fairly short ones to Brandon, Moore and Henderson while apparently without a Manager.

I know that perhaps Andy Kirk may have hand a hand in keeping them but with no DOF or Manager I thought it a bit odd.

Well, what a surprise that was.

Translated, your post means that you'd rather keep your powder dry ready for your mext onslaught if things go awry.

I don't need to look back to know about your views on CL but this topic relates to the future where you had the chance to showcase your FOREsight and perspicacity.

Your 1st paragraph only serves to highlight how so many things are dependent on others in order to make or break plans.

29 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Also a possibility to give a few more of the youngsters a chance to establish themselves in the team.  A bit like sending them on loan to a Championship club, expect the Championship club is us!

This is very true. No point in throwing millions at our academy if we can’t give our home grown youngsters a chance. Championship will be ideal to blood a few of our own. 

TyphoonJambo

Also, good links to edinburgh's second team. A good candidate for our loanees 

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I think most Hearts fans recognise her great business and infrastructure work but the most key aspect has let her down, footballing decisions. But that’s been done to death over the months.  It’s just some supporters bizarrely refuse to recognise this.  

I hope we see a turning point now, because as they say, we are learning all the time.

I think she has realised that the Levein fantasy of transforming the way Hearts would be run was a total fantasy. With the return of Neilson and JJ she looks like she wants to get back to basics with the Club on a solid foundation run by proper Hearts men.

45 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Well, what a surprise that was.

Translated, your post means that you'd rather keep your powder dry ready for your mext onslaught if things go awry.

I don't need to look back to know about your views on CL but this topic relates to the future where you had the chance to showcase your FOREsight and perspicacity.

Your 1st paragraph only serves to highlight how so many things are dependent on others in order to make or break plans.

Get rid of the following

Doyle

White

Berra

Burns

Lee

Damour

Morrison

Wighton

Ikpeazu

Look to bring in some from the following who as I understand it will be out of contract if not now very soon.

Cerny

Stewart (Kevin)

O'Donnell

Lawless

Irvine (Jackson)

Johnsone (Marvin)

Dunkley (Chey)

Sibbick

Macleod (Lewis)

Since we have extended contracts for Brandon, Moore and Henderson we should be giving them a chance in the first team along with Irving who I thought was doing really well before the games stopped and add MacDonald to be given a chance.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Get rid of the following

Doyle

White

Berra

Burns

Lee

Damour

Morrison

Wighton

Ikpeazu

Look to bring in some from the following who as I understand it will be out of contract if not now very soon.

Cerny

Stewart (Kevin)

O'Donnell

Lawless

Irvine (Jackson)

Johnsone (Marvin)

Dunkley (Chey)

Sibbick

Macleod (Lewis)

Since we have extended contracts for Brandon, Moore and Henderson we should be giving them a chance in the first team along with Irving who I thought was doing really well before the games stopped and add MacDonald to be given a chance.

You won’t get a proper reply to this because once you actually start to deal in detail, Al is nowhere to be seen. His game is just to go around the board muddying the waters with anyone who criticises Budge. Not sure what’s in it for him but he’s persistent, I’ll give him that.

TyphoonJambo
38 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Get rid of the following

Doyle

White

Berra

Burns

Lee

Damour

Morrison

Wighton

Ikpeazu

Cerny

Stewart (Kevin)

O'Donnell

Lawless

Irvine (Jackson)

Johnsone (Marvin)

Dunkley (Chey)

Sibbick

Macleod (Lewis)

Id keep Burns and Morrison, guess its all about opinions eh😁

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You won’t get a proper reply to this because once you actually start to deal in detail, Al is nowhere to be seen. His game is just to go around the board muddying the waters with anyone who criticises Budge. Not sure what’s in it for him but he’s persistent, I’ll give him that.

Oh dear another personal attack without even considering the topic.

Well done again, Dawn

Get rid of the following

Doyle

White

Berra

Burns

Lee

Damour

Morrison

Wighton

Ikpeazu

Cerny

Stewart (Kevin)

O'Donnell

Lawless

Irvine (Jackson)

Johnsone (Marvin)

Dunkley (Chey)

Sibbick

Macleod (Lewis)

Guess what, Davy.  You were right .  I shall ask the following

how do we get rid of them when they still have  such a long time left on their contract, how mcuh will it cost etc. Similarly if I suggest we try and bring in a specific player you will say how much would it cost and what wages would we pay them etc etc.

And since we are unlikely to sign  these players, we'll never know.  You also don't know whether they would be good/bad signings in a Hearts shirt eg Halkett good with Livi, hardly a shining star at Tynie.  If you pay up the contracts of the the 9 you mention that will be less money to get new players.

Maybe you could come up now with a realistic proposal rather than something you just dreamt up.

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

how do we get rid of them when they still have  such a long time left on their contract, how mcuh will it cost etc. Similarly if I suggest we try and bring in a specific player you will say how much would it cost and what wages would we pay them etc etc.

And since we are unlikely to sign  these players, we'll never know.  You also don't know whether they would be good/bad signings in a Hearts shirt eg Halkett good with Livi, hardly a shining star at Tynie.  If you pay up the contracts of the the 9 you mention that will be less money to get new players.

Maybe you could come up now with a realistic proposal rather than something you just dreamt up.

I would have been very surprised if you hadn't asked and I already told you that I would not know the answers.

Halkett was good with Livinston because he played in a back three with two strong CB's beside him unlike how he was played last season with us.

So how does anyone ever get a proposal in the first place AL?  

You just go round in circles like a dog chasing it's tail. With your sense of logic you would never get an answer to anything.

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Lee, Uche and Damour could all find contracts down south without much difficulty. Damour could always go to France too. Ligue 2 is still a decent level, on a free I reckon he'd have his pick of Ligue 2 with a few lower placed top flight clubs too. Always hoofball managers who will take a punt on Uche and Lee isn't a bad player at all. His ability could mean a small fee as well. 

Doyle, White and Berra aren't going anywhere. Age or injuries prohibit them IMO. White isn't getting anything longer than a 1 year deal. Too much of a risk. Doyle is about a year from retirement and Berra is probably worth holding onto another season or two. 

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Lee, Uche and Damour could all find contracts down south without much difficulty. Damour could always go to France too. Ligue 2 is still a decent level, on a free I reckon he'd have his pick of Ligue 2 with a few lower placed top flight clubs too. Always hoofball managers who will take a punt on Uche and Lee isn't a bad player at all. His ability could mean a small fee as well. 

Doyle, White and Berra aren't going anywhere. Age or injuries prohibit them IMO. White isn't getting anything longer than a 1 year deal. Too much of a risk. Doyle is about a year from retirement and Berra is probably worth holding onto another season or two. 

I don't agree with all your comments but it's nice to get a straight answer to a straight question, cheers.

Just now, wavydavy said:

I don't agree with all your comments but it's nice to get a straight answer to a straight question, cheers.

Just my opinion :) 

Reckon we have plenty players managers will happily take a punt on if they're getting them on a free. The tougher ones to move on are Doyle and White, neither of which should be on massive wages (although this high basic wage business may actually mean thats totally wrong!). 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Just my opinion :) 

Reckon we have plenty players managers will happily take a punt on if they're getting them on a free. The tougher ones to move on are Doyle and White, neither of which should be on massive wages (although this high basic wage business may actually mean thats totally wrong!). 

As you will realise I was just listing the players from our squad that I thought we could get rid of in answer to JamoAl.

I am under no illusions that Robbie will think the same as me and it is unlikely that he would get rid of so many in one fell swoop.

I would imagine he will only be looking to bring in another 3/4 players max and probably only if he can move some on unless of course our benefactor is feeling extremely generous again.

36 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I would have been very surprised if you hadn't asked and I already told you that I would not know the answers.

Halkett was good with Livinston because he played in a back three with two strong CB's beside him unlike how he was played last season with us.

So how does anyone ever get a proposal in the first place AL?  

You just go round in circles like a dog chasing it's tail. With your sense of logic you would never get an answer to anything.

I gained the impression that you knew the answers 6 years ago.  The master of hindsight gets a chance to showcase his foresight and weeps that he doesn't know the answers.  And please don't go on about going round in circles.  You chose to mention me (unnecessarily, I might add) in your knowledge laden post and are now irritated because I ask you to demonstrate your planning skills.  Anyone can be wise after the event.