Supporting the national team?

Voxpop

What’s people’s thoughts after the sfa wading in today?  I have been a member of the travel club for 30 years, been at world cups, euros. Thinking about telling them to shove it.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smoked-Glass

• Last Laff

• Ainsley Harriott

• Chuck Berry

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to get too carried away.

But the governance of our game is awful. From choosing to buy Hampden to what they are doing to Hearts and Partick right now. Desperation from dinosaurs who are filled with self interest.

I'll probably never pay to go to Hampden or any other home venue to support Scotland now.  Not unless we qualified for a Tournament somewhere. I won't be lining the SFA's pockets. 

I'll continue to support the National team and the lads on the park however from home and watch the games on TV. The National team, our entire game has been harmed and destroyed over the years by the heads of the associations. They are an absolute disgrace 

I also think we should boycott the Semi Final. 

Edited by Cruyff

I can't not want Scotland to win but gave up on attending ages ago. 

We are absolutely shite. Like seriously shite. And the powers that be have no intentions or ideas of how to change it. 

The SFA hammering Hearts is just another nail in the coffin.

Will I support the team on the pitch? Definitely. Will I buy my son a Scotland shirt (not that he wants it) or pay those arseholes £35 to watch us struggle at home v Faroe Islands or Lithuania? Not a ****ing chance. 

Edit - as for the OP, I would absolutely be telling them to shove it. How can you give money to a corrupt organisation who are set out to destroy our club?! 

Edited by Homme

Also, re the semi. I wasn't that fussed about whether we attended the semi or nof however since the SFA have nailed their colours to the mast, no Hearts fan should attend whatsoever. 

manaliveits105

Joined travel club in 99 but didn’t renew January and never will now - SFA won’t get a penny ever 

I'm so ambivalent now to the fortunes of the Scottish team. Dont think I could support a team full of Celtic mutants after this scenario. I care about Hearts and Hearts alone. The SFA, their poor administration and the embarrassment of a national team can ram it 

Bazzas right boot

Was a tartan army member for ten years, gave it up 5 years ago and this is the final nail. 

Scottish football is generally shite and it's run by gangsters. 

If it wasn't for the daft, illogical connection to Hearts I wouldn't give it a second thought. 

It's a complete shit show from top to bottom. 

Celtic will win 30iar and it will die a slow death as nothing will change. 

The national team will be behind the likes of Albania forever. 

Everything's OK tho. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

will-i-am-a-jambo

Have been a Scotland supporter member since 1998 and like the OP lm now considering no longer attending games (home and away)/funding or buying merchandise but with a heavy heart. I'm really tempted to cut up my membership card and returning it to the SFA with an explanatory note with my reasons for doing so. It won't achieve anything but it will make me feel better for at least being pro-active in my disapproval of their handling of this.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

best in the land

Final nail in coffin with sfa and Scotland team for me.

Will  get not a penny from me after this. Disgrace

Only hearts.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Definitely not I will support every team that plays against Scotland 

And even if England play them hope they hammer them 

Edited by Still Tynie

The White Cockade
13 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

Bizarre

Hungry hippo

I consider the SFA and supporting Scotland as two very different things despite the obvious connection.

The current sh1tshow won't have any impact on my view of the national team longer term. Although if I'm completely scunnered by the result of arbitration my enthusiasm for any non-Hearts football might be reduced a lot coinciding with the upcoming playoffs.

Each to their own though.

Stopped my interest during the Vlad years. That 2-2 v celtic at Tynie and the £100,000 fine wee a  joke too far  😡😡😡

In many ways the Scottish national team is as much a victim of the years of the SFA/SPFL/Old Firm antics as we all are. How many generations of youngsters were squandered because of the allowance of unlimited overpaid and shite foreigners that were allowed to be bought (in some cases when they couldn't even be afforded). How many great players lost out on caps to absolute shite because they never played in green or blue? How many jobs for the boys Scotland gaffers only chosen because of their OF connections rather than their ability?

I'll never want Scotland to get beat, ever. Although I can't get to as many games as I'd like to , when I can I will. But this entire blatantly corrupt, 'you can't touch us', Glasgow-biased shithouse needs to be brought to it's knees. If that means burning the whole ******* lot down and alienating every other club in Scotland then so be it. Sometimes you have to cut off the arm to save the body. 

Travel club member pre euro 96 but can't see myself going to A Scotland game again or buying any strips for my Kids. Still will support them but no more money from me.

Saying that I think I would find it hard not to go to a Semi or final that Hearts were in.

I'll be there in October, hopefully if crowds are back. 

I support Scotland, not the SFA. I don't care who runs them or Hearts, won't stop me loving both. 

I’m able to differentiate between the Scotland team and the sfa so will continue to support the country if my birth. The sfa have nothing to do with supporting Scotland imo. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Ditto, except about 10 years ago. Most Scotland games bore me to tears and I feel little to no affinity to the players on the park, the management or the other fans. 

Tbh apart from the tournaments (WC, EC) I don't watch any international football. Club over country every day of the week for me Jonsey. 

I was a member of the travel club for about 10-15 years until a few years ago.  A combination of watching utter shite and the fact kick-off days and times stopped having Saturday kick-offs meant I couldn't be arsed.  A group of around eight of us stopped going.

We used to enjoy a decent sesh for a Saturday afternoon kick-off but having to take time off all the time for these games just became inconvenient.  Even games on a weekend were a Friday night or late Sunday afternoon kick-offs giving you a massive hassle trying to get the train home.

Yesterday's actions by the SFA are the final straw for me, and I won't be back to Hampden again.

Shooter McGavin

Mugs. Tartan Army are enough to put me off. Creeps.

Also, find it funny when Scottish people who support English teams complain about people not supporting the national team. Hypocrites. 

Edited by Shooter McGavin

9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'll probably never pay to go to Hampden or any other home venue to support Scotland now.  Not unless we qualified for a Tournament somewhere. I won't be lining the SFA's pockets. 

I'll continue to support the National team and the lads on the park however from home and watch the games on TV. The National team, our entire game has been harmed and destroyed over the years by the heads of the associations. They are an absolute disgrace 

I also think we should boycott the Semi Final. 

Yup,nailed it for me. Only Hearts, HHGH!!

Used to go to home and away Scotland matches, was up to 8 points at one time. Tickets for any game I wanted really. 

After celebrating a victory over Lichtenstein with a last minute scrambled in goal like a world cup win and then whole Rangers debacle, I realised that the national team and fans expectations were very different from mine. 

Great memories with the Tartan Army, but I see them on the telly now and cringe. The demographic now is bald, fat middle aged men who are obviously only allowed out the house once a year. 

I still want the team to win, but not too fussed when they lose. Water off a ducks back. 

After Griffith's second free kick I needed scraped off the living room ceiling and I had a "what have I done? I should be there" moment. But of course they ended up Scotland-ing it so hey ho. 

What sort of Hearts fan would pay money into the coffers of the SFA to watch their select team? Playing in Glasgow in their stadium, funded by old firm professional weegie pricks Lord Haughey and Sir Hunter, lovers of all things Edinburgh and Hearts. Hope they get destroyed in every game they play.

Only been to 2 Scotland games anyway and they were both at Easter Road. Used to love watching the national team when I was younger and considered myself as much of a Scotland fan as I was a Hearts fan, but over the last 10 years my interest waned so much that I'm at a point now where I'm just not interested in them at all.

The incompetence of the national team for the past 20 years is entirely on the SFA's heads. I feel sad in a way that unlike other nations across the world, I'm not gripped by national pride, but I've lost all faith in Scotland when it comes to football and can't see it coming back anytime soon.

Marty Byrde

Gave up on the SFA select after Strachans failure in 2016 I think. Formerly a travel club member.

Absolutely no loss to my life.

heartandsoul
8 hours ago, Still Tynie said:

Spot on

OmiyaHearts

I was a TA member for around 20 years and only missed one home game in that tine. Gave up after SFA behaviour around the Rangers insolvency and Haven't paid to get into Hampden since - get freebies for semi's and finals but I don't know if I can now trust myself to sit near the SPFL / SFA board members anymore.

International football is pish, the days out were good but I feel nothing for the Scotland team now. Couldn't even tell you the last result or who they played.

Now, I know many of those fans in the stadium supporting Scotland want us buried. So if Scotland losing causes those idiots more pain, so be it. 

Edited by OmiyaHearts

billybalfour

Sorry folks but you can't give up your national team.Born Hearts and born Scotland.Can't give up on either whatever you think of the SFA performance.

Thought Police
3 minutes ago, billybalfour said:

Sorry folks but you can't give up your national team.Born Hearts and born Scotland.Can't give up on either whatever you think of the SFA performance.

Scotland have never given me the feeling Hearts do. Only take a slight interest if a Hearts player makes the squad. Scotland have never ruined my weekend like Hearts can.

Simply not comparable and I couldn’t care less about Scotland.

4 minutes ago, billybalfour said:

Why not exactly? Of course you can be a proud Scot and a football supporter without being behind the national team. Happens in England too  and no doubt every other country.

Montgomery Brewster

Travel club member since 1993. 

I enjoy the Home days out and trips away when I go. However having a good think about my participation in supporting the National Team in the stadiums going forward. 

I’ve always been anti blazer and think the running of our game has been shambolic for a long time. This is just more of the same. However it’s getting to the point now were enough is enough. 

The outcome of arbitration will be the deciding factor for me.

6 hours ago, trotter said:

In many ways the Scottish national team is as much a victim of the years of the SFA/SPFL/Old Firm antics as we all are. How many generations of youngsters were squandered because of the allowance of unlimited overpaid and shite foreigners that were allowed to be bought (in some cases when they couldn't even be afforded). How many great players lost out on caps to absolute shite because they never played in green or blue? How many jobs for the boys Scotland gaffers only chosen because of their OF connections rather than their ability?

I'll never want Scotland to get beat, ever. Although I can't get to as many games as I'd like to , when I can I will. But this entire blatantly corrupt, 'you can't touch us', Glasgow-biased shithouse needs to be brought to it's knees. If that means burning the whole ******* lot down and alienating every other club in Scotland then so be it. Sometimes you have to cut off the arm to save the body. 

That's a cracking post mate. 

Sums up my attitude as well 👍

Салатные палочки

**** the National team. **** the SFA. **** the tartan army and their self-awarded "best fans in the world" tag. Wouldn't care one bit if we never qualify for another tournament again. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

tambothejambo

Member of the Scotland travel club for just under 30 years 

supporting Scotland and the SFA being cocks are two complete entities 

Hope we don’t start the Rangers PISH 🇬🇧 that surrounds the national team.

The shambolic governance of Scottish club football shouldn’t mean that we in any way  don’t want our country’s team to succeed. 

Joined the Travel Club as a junior member in the early 90s and used to go to every home game and as many away games as I could. 

Started to lose interest during the Levein years but got slightly better with Strachan for around a year, then the shambles of the Euro 2016 campaign and Strachan's attitude towards the fans annoyed me and I said that was it.  Ended up getting another season ticket for the W/C 2018 campaign as England were in our group, went to the first game against Lithuania and realised at half time that I'd made a mistake and headed off and got home by around 10pm. 

I went down to Wembley as it was already booked but enjoyed doing the Stamford Bridge Stadium tour and visiting some museums more than the football.  I had a pair of tickets for the England game at Hampden and gave them to my mate, I didn't watch the game,  and years ago I would have been gutted to miss that game but I just didn't care.  I don't want Scotland to get beat, I've just got no interest.

At the end of the 2018 qualifying campaign the Supporters Club had 30,069 members, the SFA confimed that less than 20k renewed which is pretty damning.  Equivalent to Hearts going from 13,500 season ticket holders to less than 9,000 from one season to the next.

Edited by TurboT

Ron Burgundy
1 hour ago, scottg71 said:

I haven’t had an interest in the national team since around the Miko incident. 

Same for me.

Since then I actually want to see them battered every game.

Ibrahim Tall

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m Scottish I can’t ‘not’ support Scotland. I hate the SFA and various other aspects of Scotland but it’s still my country.

Ainsley Harriott

I hope they get humiliated in every game they play. I would even go as far as asking Naismith and Souttar not to make themselves available for selection.