Berra

NB GIN

What’s people’s opinion on Berra can he still do a job for us ? 

I think he is finished lost his pace and how many goals last season were caused by him

Think we need to get out of this jobs for the boys culture that we have 

If we don’t play a ridiculously high line and expose his lack of pace he can still do a job especially if we are in the championship. 

I think he is very limited now, last season his lack of pace cost us and cant be left in a one on one. Still great in the air and expect to throw his body in the way but squad player at best imo.

grumpyespana

As the Jackel says he was winning everything in the air which we missed when he move to Dundee but if we play with a sweeper behind him this should make up for his lack of pace.

3 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

As the Jackel says he was winning everything in the air which we missed when he move to Dundee but if we play with a sweeper behind him this should make up for his lack of pace.

Maybe my memory is deceiving me but didn’t Berra and M Smith look like quite a good combination? 

35 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

I think he is finished lost his pace and how many goals last season were caused by him

If we are in the Championship then if he has someone with a bit of pace beside him then he could do a job for another season.

There is no doubting his passsion and willingness to put his body in the firing line and if he just defends and headers the ball away from defence he is ok.

If however we want to play the ball out on the ground from the back then the ball should be nowhere near him just let him defend and nothing else.

been here before
40 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Here's last weeks 3 page Christophe Berra thread, you may get some answers there...

Or theres this thread from 2 weeks ago...

Or perhaps this one from 4 weeks ago...

Or from 8 weeks ago...

Alternatively you could give it a few days until the next Berra thread gets started.

Edited by been here before

40 minutes ago, jackal said:

I think he is very limited now, last season his lack of pace cost us and cant be left in a one on one. Still great in the air and expect to throw his body in the way but squad player at best imo.

I'm not sure about that one. The part where he has to win the header, yes. He can beat others to get his head to the ball. But the other part of being good in the air is where the ball goes after you head it. In Berra's case, that is mostly Row 10 of the Wheatfield.

HamishMcGonagall
17 minutes ago, been here before said:

Here's last weeks 3 page Christophe Berra thread, you may get some answers there...

Or from 8 weeks ago...

Alternatively you could give it a few days until the next Berra thread gets started.

😂 as one of the op's from one of those threads, I apologise!  In my defence the only one previous to mine was from when stendel was here and was 4 weeks previous to mine.

8 minutes ago, TommyC said:

I'm not sure about that one. The part where he has to win the header, yes. He can beat others to get his head to the ball. But the other part of being good in the air is where the ball goes after you head it. In Berra's case, that is mostly Row 10 of the Wheatfield.

So you expect defenders to win a challenged ball and have the accuracy to pass it to another of their own players while being challenged. Majority of defenders main aim is to clear the ball as far away as possible into an area where your team mates can challenge I would imagine. 

Do you also expect a forward who is good in the air to hit the target with every header they win?

Still has a year left on his massive contract so the chances of us getting rid of him are zero - same as with a lot of the high earners at the club.  Below average players don’t walk away from big contracts that no other club would be stupid enough to offer them unfortunately, this is why we will be stuck with a lot of the dross that the previous management hired.  

If he isn’t wanted by our current manager then the best we can hope for is sending him out on loan again with us still paying the majority of his contract again.  Same goes for all the trash players like white, Damour etc etc etc 

59 minutes ago, jackal said:

So you expect defenders to win a challenged ball and have the accuracy to pass it to another of their own players while being challenged. Majority of defenders main aim is to clear the ball as far away as possible into an area where your team mates can challenge I would imagine. 

Do you also expect a forward who is good in the air to hit the target with every header they win?

I'm not expecting that every time, no. Just at a greater frequency than Berra manages. His headers he wins either go out or straight to an opposition player. I think that makes him good at winning high balls but quite often he heads it straight back into a dangerous area or concedes a throw.

As an example of a striker doing well in the air, Sam Cosgrove bullied Berra at Tynecastle last season and most high balls he won were knocked down to a running midfielder.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Berra. Like him, think it's good that he's back in the squad (probably as third choice), but think he's only good at one part of "being good in the air".

6 minutes ago, TommyC said:

I'm not expecting that every time, no. Just at a greater frequency than Berra manages. His headers he wins either go out or straight to an opposition player. I think that makes him good at winning high balls but quite often he heads it straight back into a dangerous area or concedes a throw.

As an example of a striker doing well in the air, Sam Cosgrove bullied Berra at Tynecastle last season and most high balls he won were knocked down to a running midfielder.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Berra. Like him, think it's good that he's back in the squad (probably as third choice), but think he's only good at one part of "being good in the air".

Someone at Hearts does that all the time. If they can't get it clear, it should be put out for a throw.

Pressley certainly makes a strong case for Berra - 4 month injury, rushed back etc. 

He's been gone since January, not playing since March, so maybe he'll come back on form again. His stint at Dundee may have rebuilt his confidence a bit too. 

IMO with his contract up next year he's got this season to try and earn an extension. He's 35 now, so he's not got a many more seasons left. Hopefully, no longer being captain will mean his focus can be purely on football which may help. 

After over a year of studying, I’m happy to finally get confirmation of passing the Applied Football Management Diploma course at Edinburgh Napier University. Thanks to the PFA Scotland and especially Stephen Robertson for your help and support over the past year. Now onto the next challenge 👨🏼‍💻🤓

22 hours ago, been here before said:

Or from 8 weeks ago...

lol 

23 hours ago, NB GIN said:

I can see this argument but personally I'd retain him as a squad player if it is going to be a season in the championship. I get the jobs for the boys thing and appreciate there's no room for sentiment in football but I think he's still good enough at championship to merit a swansong season. I know there was other circumstances surrounding his move back up from Ipswich but we still got a very good level of player at that time from that move for at least a season. Wouldn't have him down as legend status but I think he's a player that will certainly go down as one of our more familiar players over the last 15 years and he deserves a chance for us to show our appreciation for him. 

Holyrood_Hearts

Numerous mistakes & OG’s that cost us points last season & has been off it ever since his injury. 

At best he’s back up but we’re going backwards if he starts next season as first choice. Other than sentiment, I’m amazed anyone would have him in the team

jambos are go!

Berra was targeted and fouled by opposing teams to stop him winning defensive as well as offensive headers. Often blatantly with no action from the Referee. One of the other defenders needs to step in in these circumstances. Every Pressley needs a Webster.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting hearing RN say he will play a part for us.

He said previously (when at dundee United) that he loves big Christophe to bits but he doesnt have the legs for how I want us to play. When asked about taking him in January 

On 13/07/2020 at 10:05, NB GIN said:

The Championship is his level now, so if we are playing there, then fine, but not as Captain.  He was the most silent captain I have seen in a long time. 

59 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Interesting hearing RN say he will play a part for us.

He said previously (when at dundee United) that he loves big Christophe to bits but he doesnt have the legs for how I want us to play. When asked about taking him in January 

I heard this at the time. Think he's being diplomatic and will be a back up

51 minutes ago, Paolo said:

The Championship is his level now, so if we are playing there, then fine, but not as Captain.  He was the most silent captain I have seen in a long time. 

I agree, happy to have him as a squad member if we are in the Championship. Naismith has the armband now, and he's probably the most vocal captain I can remember for some time.