Man Caves

Everybody Loves Baz!

Everybody Loves Baz!

You got one??

I'm thinking of building one this year due to having a bit of spare cash due to Holidays being cancelled.

So my other questions are:

Does anyone have ideas on how to keep prices down?
Best place to buy Mini Fridges and Beer pumps?

Looking at a 4x4m area, 'u' shaped with a 2/3rds enclosed area and the remaining 3rd open seating area under cover.

Any ideas/pictures - advice gratefully received.

Just need the Mrs to concede to this (took me 8 years to buy the Hot tub)

T.I.A

Hugh Phamism

If you want to use it year round it will need to be insulated and heated. I bought a Garden Office 3 years ago and it's one of the best thing I've done. I did spend a lot on it and wanted a UPVC construction rather than wood, which would need regular maintenance. It has a full glass front with double doors that open onto a deck area. The only thing missing is aircon, as it can get like a greenhouse in the rare hot days we get in Scotland. Have a look at the displays in your local Dobbies (Livvy and Dunfermline have them).

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Hugh Phamism said:

If you want to use it year round it will need to be insulated and heated. I bought a Garden Office 3 years ago and it's one of the best thing I've done. I did spend a lot on it and wanted a UPVC construction rather than wood, which would need regular maintenance. It has a full glass front with double doors that open onto a deck area. The only thing missing is aircon, as it can get like a greenhouse in the rare hot days we get in Scotland. Have a look at the displays in your local Dobbies (Livvy and Dunfermline have them).

Expensive to heat?

Hugh Phamism

Not really. It's well insulated and at about 4m x 3m a 1.5KW regulated electric panel heater is more than sufficient.

As I say, it's more difficult to cool on a hot day and a fan just blows the hot air around. I may need to invest an air cooler even although it will only be needed a few days per year.

1 hour ago, Hugh Phamism said:

Not really. It's well insulated and at about 4m x 3m a 1.5KW regulated electric panel heater is more than sufficient.

As I say, it's more difficult to cool on a hot day and a fan just blows the hot air around. I may need to invest an air cooler even although it will only be needed a few days per year.

It's been a lockdown project for us, stll ongoing, building a garden room similar size to yours. We went with SIPS panels kit for insulation year round and straightforward construction. It's facing down the garden south-east direction. We've got it with an overhanging roof and trees keeping it shaded from too much direct sun. Still got cladding to go on, elecrical connection to the house, inside decoration and decking for the front but it's taking shape.  

Hugh Phamism

This was the one I went for. It's a Nordic Manhattan Garden Room, and I swapped the sliding doors for patio doors, so that I could add blinds to all the windows.

Nordic Manhattan

We've got trees to one side and brick garage to the other so no views left or right and hence no windows. Just a view down the garden and a the bottom of the garden a row of 4 bucket seats from the old Section N, our actual old seats. Still work to do as I mentioned but building decking to front to where I have that batten marker and extending the lawn up to meet it.

528301855_2020-07-0116_56.45-min.thumb.jpg.f8083434392b9b19544c6f26ddd8d77a.jpg1956314119_gardenroom-min.thumb.jpg.a2de43eee2059a892770920c4eeb4f1d.jpg

Everybody Loves Baz!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yip, looked into insulation and waterproof membranes etc etc.

The kits & Summer houses are likely to be out of my reach. Not that tight that I'm thinking of getting a load of pallets in and nailing them altogether mind. Somewhere in the middle. About £1500 - 2K for materials, fitting it out could be anyones guess but I already have a projector and pull down screen fitted in the hot tub gazebo, so that'll be getting moved into the building once completed.

Hugh Phamism

This one cost around 10K to buy, and Delivery and installation were free, you just had to provide a suitable base (slabbed, concrete or similar). 

You can get a similar sized tongue and groove wooden building for about half that, and a lapped wood for even cheaper. 

If you were serious about using it all year, then you would need a decent T&G wood building at the very least. This is the link to the outdoor building centres at Dobbies https://www.gbcgroup.co.uk/garden-offices/ 

No man cave but I’m putting a Fisherman’s bar and hot tub in my back garden as well as doubling my decking area👍

Everybody Loves Baz!
5 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

No man cave but I’m putting a Fisherman’s bar and hot tub in my back garden as well as doubling my decking area👍

Struggling to get any sort of Timber recently. Mid and East lothian seem to be in short supply.

Got my decking done recently waited a week from St Andrews Timber and had to wait 4 days for 130 slats coming today for Cut Price Timber.

Just have to look around a bit.

Everybody's doing the same thing lol.

18ft by 12ft fully insulated, electrics wired & bar cost me roughly 4500.... I've seen some that have been built using pallets if your willing to put the effort in save ya a fortune

Hugh Phamism
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Thanks. 

Did they bring in power to it as well as part of the install or was that separate?

No. I had power in my garage just next to the Garden Office and I just run it in myself.

I built an outdoor one, watched a few youtube videos and hey.

Cost around 400 quid. Railway sleepers from the garden centre are the main bar.

2nd pic is it's new position  as i knocked down the garage and replaced it with a workshop.

013fe262407df1f9bdbf0b4e5efda1c8.jpg

dfb4fc5091979507aacd8fa1c4111d78.jpg

Stuart Lyon
13 hours ago, Hambone said:

I built an outdoor one, watched a few youtube videos and hey.

Cost around 400 quid. Railway sleepers from the garden centre are the main bar.

2nd pic is it's new position  as i knocked down the garage and replaced it with a workshop.

013fe262407df1f9bdbf0b4e5efda1c8.jpg

dfb4fc5091979507aacd8fa1c4111d78.jpg

Sign off the times working with only a skeleton staff!

Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Sign off the times working with only a skeleton staff!

😂

Built a summerhouse a couple of years back for this very purpose. Think it's 9 x 9' and cost about a grand. Piece of piss to put up, myself and a mate managed it in a couple of hours, though had to paint the thing first (two coats, one while in pieces, the other once built), which took a while.

The key thing with these buildings though is that they need a decent flat surface, so had to get a small patio built underneath which cost a few hundred iirc. Fitted power myself with waterproof sockets and a long extension going back into the house, can heat up the whole thing in five minutes with a small electric heater.

Sadly at the moment it's being used as a school, but will be getting put back to its original purpose in four weeks' time!

I P Knightley
35 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Sadly at the moment it's being used as a school, but will be getting put back to its original purpose in four weeks' time!

Remove the school desks and refit the dancing pole. Wahay!!

32 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Remove the school desks and refit the dancing pole. Wahay!!

😀

I built it myself, so not sure the construction could withstand a pole! 

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

😀

I built it myself, so not sure the construction could withstand a pole! 

She doesn't have to be a pole, there are plenty of other eastern European countries to choose from.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

She doesn't have to be a pole, there are plenty of other eastern European countries to choose from.

👏

Everybody Loves Baz!
3 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Hot tub, big golfing net and a man cave. Never need to leave the garden again baz 😂

Is your man cave no due soon mate lol.

I'm just chipping away at her to get the man cave built.

I'll be doing it the proper way and no like you just getting it dropped off by crane right into position.

Yer no a man for manual labour Bud lol.

7 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Is your man cave no due soon mate lol.

I'm just chipping away at her to get the man cave built.

I'll be doing it the proper way and no like you just getting it dropped off by crane right into position.

Yer no a man for manual labour Bud lol.

Still no here and no idea when either. Emailed them today saying if it's not here by Saturday I've told them to cancel the order, 2 months is a bit of a piss take. Thinking of building one from scratch too so might have to do some manual labour after all 😂

What are the regulations regarding overhead electricity for these? 

Would like to have one of these sometime, have a decent space for it in the garden however digging up the ground for proper electrics would be a right pain, are overhead cables to the house okay? 

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

What are the regulations regarding overhead electricity for these? 

Would like to have one of these sometime, have a decent space for it in the garden however digging up the ground for proper electrics would be a right pain, are overhead cables to the house okay? 

I got my garage hooked up, it's about 8meters away at the end of the garden and I paid about 300-350 for parts and labour, that included digging the trench for the wiring.