Garden Bird identification

Tommy Brown

Tommy Brown

I had a visitor yesterday that I have never seen before in my puff (I'm 57). This is not a piss-take like the current Tit thread.

It was blackbird in size but a bit fatter. Had a brown chest with black speckles.

I managed to take a couple of poor photos. 

I looked up Google and found Dunnock and wren, but not convinced of either.

Screenshot_2020-07-13-06-35-35-602_com.miui.gallery.png

Screenshot_2020-07-13-06-38-47-771_com.miui.videoplayer.png

Edited by Tommy Brown

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I had a visitor yesterday that I have never seen before in my puff (I'm 57). This is not a piss-take like the current Tit thread.

It was blackbird in size but a bit fatter. Had a brown chest with black speckles.

Not got a clue bud, it certainly looks well fed.

Tommy Brown
Just now, Harry Potter said:

Not got a clue bud, it certainly looks well fed.

Added another, better photo

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Thrush ?.

Yeah would tent to agree more like being a Thrush. A Wren's a very small bird.

24 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Good thread bud.,Got 2 magpies in the garden just now.

Magpies are not our friends. 

Tommy Brown
22 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Good thread bud.,Got 2 magpies in the garden just now.

magpies unfortunately scare off most other birds.

Had terrible amounts of them (6 or more) over the last few years, you hardly seen another bird in that time.

Previous neighbour kept throwing bread out, magpies and herring gulls were aplenty. Thankfully that neighbour moved.

Down to the odd one, now. Now seeing lots of Sparrows, blackies, starlings, etc.

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

magpies unfortunately scare off most other birds.

Had terrible amounts of them (6 or more) over the last few years, you hardly seen another bird in that time.

Previous neighbour kept throwing bread out, magpies and herring gulls were aplenty. Thankfully that neighbour moved.

Down to the odd one, now. Now seeing lots of Sparrows, blackies, starlings, etc.

Someone feeding seagulls down my road, nightmare.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Screenshot_2020-07-13-06-38-47-771_com.miui.videoplayer.png

Looks like a female Blackbird. A well fed one at that.

Tommy Brown
29 minutes ago, romac said:

You know, you could be right.

It's the size that never gave me that thought, there normally is a pair about, normally the female is a lot thinner than yesterday's.

Horatio Caine
32 minutes ago, romac said:

Blackbirds have yellow beaks - male and female.  Looks more like a songthrush to me too.

18 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Blackbirds have yellow beaks - male and female.  Looks more like a songthrush to me too.

That app I've linked to above identifies it as a blackbird 🤷‍♂️ 

The RSPB bird identifier is good if you see a bird you're not familiar with.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/identify-a-bird/

One winter a few years back, I used the identifier to discover that it was a sparrow hawk I'd seen from my kitchen window, feasting on some poor wee sparrow. I'd watched  it for a bit, before It picked up what was left and flew off with it, leaving a gory mess of blood and feathers on the the snow. Horrible, but fascinating at the same time.

I've had blackbirds nesting in my garage and been following their progress. We've had 4 chicks successfully fledge and leave and they are now onto a second batch. Here is a picture of a juvenille on its first day out of the nest. The tail feathers are very short and only let it fly short distances. It takes a couple of weeks feeding after this for them to be really competent fliers.

blackbird.jpg

Cairneyhill Jambo
On 13/07/2020 at 11:27, RobboM said:

I've had blackbirds nesting in my garage and been following their progress. We've had 4 chicks successfully fledge and leave and they are now onto a second batch. Here is a picture of a juvenille on its first day out of the nest. The tail feathers are very short and only let it fly short distances. It takes a couple of weeks feeding after this for them to be really competent fliers.

blackbird.jpg

I didn't know until a few years ago that when young blackbirds fledge they can't fly and spend the first week or two on the ground or on low objects. I found one in our garden once and had to put it in a hedge or the local cats would have got it. The parents continued to feed it. 

And the reason you don't see young pigeons (squab) is that they don't leave the nest until nearly fully grown. 

On 13/07/2020 at 07:48, Jambo314 said:

Yeah would tent to agree more like being a Thrush. A Wren's a very small bird.

Good idea.  ️.   See below.

14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Hot-And-Sexy-Karen-Gillan-40-Photos-Shar

I have a few Quail in my back garden. Its usually nice at this time to see them with sometimes as many as sixteen chicks walking in. group behind the parents. Unfortunately the numbers are less this year as we have a large Racoon took residence in the garden somewhere among the bushes and they feed on the eggs. Don't advise trapping or other method to get rid of the Racoon, they are protected wildlife. The predator also takes care of the geese and duck eggs in the ornamental pools throughout our complex. Good work because like  some people I have met in my life, all they do is squawk and crap all over the place.

We have loads of these circling all day long. I like them, but they're pretty huge up close. I've never seen it happen but they're known to nick food from barbecues whilst it's cooking 🤣

3sFfdf8.jpg

8 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

We have loads of these circling all day long. I like them, but they're pretty huge up close. I've never seen it happen but they're known to nick food from barbecues whilst it's cooking 🤣

3sFfdf8.jpg

Red Kite.

They also knick clothes from lines and wee kids toys left out.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Red Kite.

They're quite majestic but I'm sure the numbers are increasing quite quickly. It seems that they're as brazen as seagulls in some parts

Just now, IronJambo said:

They're quite majestic but I'm sure the numbers are increasing quite quickly. It seems that they're as brazen as seagulls in some parts

Correct on all points, we have them in growing numbers around here, they've been releasing them in Yorkshire and the Southern Lakes. Ive a mate that lives in Kettering and there's thousands down there, nesting in garden's now but his wife can't get her washing dry in the spring for them knicking stuff, some nests look like an Anne Summers shop!!!

I hate magpies. 

That sound they make is horrendous. 

yack-yack-yack-yack-yack...drives me up the wall. 

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Last year a sparrow hawk took a collared dove in our back garden. 30 minutes later all that was left were a few feathers and a beak. A feckin machine.

Nature, I suppose.

A few years ago when I was living just off Albert Street I came across a sparrow hawk at the end of my street having a pigeon for its breakfast, brazen in the middle of the pavement. A couple of days later my mother phoned me all freaked out as exactly the same thing was happening in her garden next to the back door of the house. I’d never seen it before and haven’t since apart from that bizarre coincidence. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

3sFfdf8.jpg

I played golf out in Berkshire about 20 years ago and my host spotted a red kite with great excitement, telling me that they'd been virtually extinct until recently before that, when they were managed back into the wild.

20 years on, you can't go to the area without seeing them. All the way up the M40 from about Beaconsfield to Oxford, the buggers are everywhere. (I love a bird of prey, though)

Toxteth O'Grady
3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

3sFfdf8.jpg

We stayed at Loch Ken last year and I had to chase one that was eyeing up our steaks on the BBQ

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I played golf out in Berkshire about 20 years ago and my host spotted a red kite with great excitement, telling me that they'd been virtually extinct until recently before that, when they were managed back into the wild.

20 years on, you can't go to the area without seeing them. All the way up the M40 from about Beaconsfield to Oxford, the buggers are everywhere. (I love a bird of prey, though)

Funny, I live in Maidenhead, Berkshire. You're right, Berks, Bucks, and Oxfordshire are littered with them. I'm not sure they have any predators so the numbers are bound to keep rising. 

I P Knightley
43 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Funny, I live in Maidenhead, Berkshire. You're right, Berks, Bucks, and Oxfordshire are littered with them. I'm not sure they have any predators so the numbers are bound to keep rising. 

I saw the Berkshire tag on your name, hence the mention. I was playing at Temple, only a little bit to the west of you.

I wonder why the numbers had fallen before that? Farming and chemicals, perhaps?

54 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I saw the Berkshire tag on your name, hence the mention. I was playing at Temple, only a little bit to the west of you.

I wonder why the numbers had fallen before that? Farming and chemicals, perhaps?

It seems they were perseccuted as vermin in the 1800's and were wiped out but for a few in Wales. 

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Looked into my neighbours and spotted some great tits

Nice. Binoculars, the whole shebang was it?

We've a wee bird feeder on the kitchen windae and I sometimes get to see tits in the morning. You decide if the clauses of that sentence are related. Don't care what you think.

I once spent a good few mins stood next to Bill Oddie in a bookshop queue in London.

Took me every fibre of my being not to turn to him and sing Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie, put your hands all over my body. I did well.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

I once spent a good few mins stood next to Bill Oddie in a bookshop queue in London.

Took me every fibre of my being not to turn to him and sing Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie, put your hands all over my body. I did well.

I've met him a couple of times, what a totally horrible wee prick he is🤬

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aye I've heard that which is a shame cos the goodies were ace.

Did you paraphrase Madonna at him? Perhaps why he was tetchy?

Just now, TheBigO said:

Aye I've heard that which is a shame cos the goodies were ace.

Did you paraphrase Madonna at him? Perhaps why he was tetchy?

No, I was involved in a conservation project he visited a couole of times, no need for his arrogance or rudeness, how he's not been hospitalised for his mooth is beyond me, he really needs a good skelp.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Glad that’s confirmed. A mate sat next to him on a flight from Moscow a few years ago and casually said hello as he sat down. The response? **** off and don’t bother me. My mate hadn’t even mentioned who he was or anything, just a polite hello. 

When I first moved to Oklahoma I used to frequently hear an unusual bird call. It took me weeks to get a sight of the source of the sound and when I saw it was more than surprised. It looked just like a blackbird.

But that was from an angle which didn't show it's wings entirely. The next time I saw it I could see that it had a red chevron on each wing. From there I was able to identify it as a red winged blackbird. So my initial thought had been correct. It was indeed a blackbird, but not as you know it Scottie. And certainly not the sound you're used to hearing back in Scotland.

RedWingedBlackbird2-1200x1005.jpg 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

No, I was involved in a conservation project he visited a couole of times, no need for his arrogance or rudeness, how he's not been hospitalised for his mooth is beyond me, he really needs a good skelp.

This has turned nasty! Op just wanted to ken what thon wee bird was and you're about to batter an oap!

Dawnrazor!!!! Jings man!

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Glad that’s confirmed. A mate sat next to him on a flight from Moscow a few years ago and casually said hello as he sat down. The response? **** off and don’t bother me. My mate hadn’t even mentioned who he was or anything, just a polite hello. 

Sounds about right, the way spoke to a young woman involved was ridiculous, I was as bad for not pulling him up, I said to the project manager that I was going to be "off site" the next time he was coming, he never came back thankfully. 

John Craven, he's another *****.

4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

This has turned nasty! Op just wanted to ken what thon wee bird was and you're about to batter an oap!

Dawnrazor!!!! Jings man!

🤣🤣🤣

Apologies but I could feel the blood come up my neck when I saw his name, a bit like my Grandad when Thatcher came on the tele!

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:. 

John Craven, he's another *****.

I’ll tell you another rude *****, Nick Knowles, and way too much make up for anyone never mind a middle aged bloke. 

I really like this thread. Op got his answer so let's now round on *******s fi the telly. Espesh if they've an animal connection.

Terry Nutkins once spat on my mum.