Pentlands

Alan_R

Up the pentlands today looking out towards penicuik direction there was a large turret/tower structure.

Then some distance behind it there was what looked like a stately home.

Obviously was some distance away and hard to say direction of how far but i'd say to the far side of penicuik roughly.

Any ideas what it was? googles came up short 

3 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Up the pentlands today looking out towards penicuik direction there was a large turret/tower structure.

Then some distance behind it there was what looked like a stately home.

Obviously was some distance away and hard to say direction of how far but i'd say to the far side of penicuik roughly.

Any ideas what it was? googles came up short 

Isn't there an Army shooting range up there?

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

This?

Folly tower, Penicuik, Edinburgh

The Tower and Penicuik House?

Edited by Dawnrazor

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Tower and Penicuik House?

aye that'll be it.

Obvious really but you'd be surprised how few results came up googling "stately homes/historic buildings near penicuik", 

Penicuik house wasn;t mentioned once.

been here before
6 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

aye that'll be it.

Obvious really but you'd be surprised how few results came up googling "stately homes/historic buildings near penicuik", 

Penicuik house wasn;t mentioned once.

'Tower near Peniciik' gets dozens once you get past the first one for the chippy.

5 hours ago, been here before said:

'Tower near Peniciik' gets dozens once you get past the first one for the chippy.

I used to live in Penicuik - mum and dad still do, and The Tower was responsible for quite a lot of the food I ate at high school :rofl:

14 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

A somewhat less flattering shot:

212382945_aad32c42e4_k.jpg

Used to fish the Esk below the big house and ponds. Am I right in saying it was Sir John Clarke who owned the estate and lived in the stables next to the derelict house above?

1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

Used to fish the Esk below the big house and ponds. Am I right in saying it was Sir John Clarke who owned the estate and lived in the stables next to the derelict house above?

You are, the first job I had on leaving school was there. 

3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Yes, he also had this house at Polton, just down from Loanhead.

Mavisbank%20House%20Simpson%20and%20Brow

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

You are, the first job I had on leaving school was there. 

He must be long gone now? I remember knocking his door to ask permission to camp on his land.

He was pretty old then (30 years ago). Lovely chap who invited us in for a cup of T and a biscuit.

We spend days exploring the estate. All the old ponds. Fishing the river. “Nellies hole” ( that might ring a bell with some of you).

There was a tunnel that went right through a hill with a weird room half way through.

Loved those days 👍

He must be long gone now? I remember knocking his door to ask permission to camp on his land.

He was pretty old then (30 years ago). Lovely chap who invited us in for a cup of T and a biscuit.

We spend days exploring the estate. All the old ponds. Fishing the river. “Nellies hole” ( that might ring a bell with some of you).

There was a tunnel that went right through a hill with a weird room half way through.

Loved those days 👍

He was a genuinely lovley man, he died a few years ago now, his son, last I heard, lived in the Gamekeepers house, I think because work was being carried out on the Stables. Sir John ws the Lord Lieutenant of Midlothian or the Lothians. His father was a great traveller collector of plants and trees, there's some fine examples of these around the estate. 

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

He was a genuinely lovley man, he died a few years ago now, his son, last I heard, lived in the Gamekeepers house, I think because work was being carried out on the Stables. Sir John ws the Lord Lieutenant of Midlothian or the Lothians. His father was a great traveller collector of plants and trees, there's some fine examples of these around the estate. 

I only met his son once or at least I think it was his son? Was a very long time ago.

I would love to take a trip down memory lane and go back for a wander round the estate. It must have changed a lot since I was a nipper.

I think Sir John and my Dad were acquainted now I think about it?

Are you from Penicuik originally Dawnrazor? Or have friends/family from there?

Edited by Vlad Magic

I think Sir John and my Dad were acquainted now I think about it?

Are you from Penicuik originally Dawnrazor? Or have friends/family from there?

I grew up in Rosewell, but started working at Penicuik, had friends there and went out with a couple of girls.

The fishing at High pond was good, really needed a boat due the the rodi's being so close to the bank, Low pond has some wee wild fish.

The river fished well there, I used to fish the Esk a lot between Roslin and Rosewell, there was a bit we called Megs Chucks, don't know what it's proper name was, a deep run between some huge rocks, downstream from the old pay'n'take.

I fished the Esk at the old gun powder mill.

The weir pool there held some good fish.

Also down stream where the road goes over the Esk before the road starts to climb again. Great pool under that bridge.

Just now, Vlad Magic said:

I fished the Esk at the old gun powder mill.

The weir pool there held some good fish.

Also down stream where the road goes over the Esk before the road starts to climb again. Great pool under that bridge.

I fished all rhe bits you mentioned, had loads of fish from there when I was young. I'd be great to take my son there and fish for a day.

A wee point of interest, my Granny worked in the "Powdermill" during WW2, along with her cousin.

Thinking about it I think I have fished the Esk from below Sir Johns all the way down to Valleyfield Mills. From Valleyfield Mills all the way down to Roslin!

Summer holidays were just spent exploring that whole system.

There is a great pool below the bridge opposite the church as you leave Penicuik on Peebles road.

You used to catch escapees from the trout farm out of that pool 👍

Such as shame seeing those beautiful buildings in such disrepair. The height of architecture and workmanship , compared to the horrible buildings that pass for architecture these days. Shame. 

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I fished all rhe bits you mentioned, had loads of fish from there when I was young. I'd be great to take my son there and fish for a day.

A wee point of interest, my Granny worked in the "Powdermill" during WW2, along with her cousin.

I haven’t been down there in years but I’m led to believe a lot of the buildings are still standing albeit derelict?

Just now, Vlad Magic said:

I haven’t been down there in years but I’m led to believe a lot of the buildings are still standing albeit derelict?

It's been 25+ years since I was down there, the railway viaduct between Rosewell and Penicuik was demolished, I used to cycle to Penicuik House along the railway line to get to work, it was a lovely walk too. 

20 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's been 25+ years since I was down there, the railway viaduct between Rosewell and Penicuik was demolished, I used to cycle to Penicuik House along the railway line to get to work, it was a lovely walk too. 

Was there more than one viaduct?  There's still one on the cycle path, near Achendinny.

Edit: Just seen that the Glencorse viaduct was demolished in 1987.

Edited by Lemongrab

58 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Was there more than one viaduct?  There's still one on the cycle path, near Achendinny.

Edit: Just seen that the Glencorse viaduct was demolished in 1987.

Ah, thanks, yep, it was the one near Auchendinny that I went over, I thought it was that one that was demolished, so I could still cycle or walk from Rosewell to Penicuik, I'll have to do it againg some day.

8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Such as shame seeing those beautiful buildings in such disrepair. The height of architecture and workmanship , compared to the horrible buildings that pass for architecture these days. Shame. 

I wonder what the story was, a poster above also mentioned same guy had a big house at polton.

Seemingly the title and nobility but maybe not the funds or desire to keep them all going?

59 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Seemingly the title and nobility but maybe not the funds or desire to keep them all going?

They were skint 35 years ago when I worked there.

These estates and houses were built when materials and labour was cheap with no eye on tbe future, death duties were crippling and many places were lost, which considering the history of some houses was a great shame.

I worked on an estate near Stow, at one time there was a "roof tax" on big houses, so many owners hires a JCB and knocked in the roof and let them decay, it nearly happened to the house on the this estate untill the nephew came home from Australia and saved the place. I know foreign ownwership is controversial but so many estates have had huge financial input from foreign owners in the last 20 or so years.

It was gutted by fire a few years back and left in a dangerous condition. There has been a shitload of money spent on it recently to open it back up as a historic tourist attraction - although i'm not sure if it was a heritage grant or the John Clerk estate itself that helped pay for it - and there are/were rumours that there is a plan to completely fix it (not easy as its a listed building). It's a shame because it really is a beautiful house when you see it up close. When we used to go for a walk and a spliff or two through the estate, me and a couple of mates used to plan out how we would turn it into a superclub...

Christ, I was dumb when I was young

2 hours ago, Alan_R said:

I wonder what the story was, a poster above also mentioned same guy had a big house at polton.

Same thing happened with Camperdown House in Dundee. I did a Building Survey on that, it was an absolute feckin mess. There's probably 1,000's of these glorious buildings of a similar fashion all over Scotland in various states of disrepair. It's such a shame. They should be preserved. 

Camperdown was exactly the same style of building as well, late 18th, early 19th century Greek revival mansion. 

I guess when the Earl, Lord or whoever dies and as it passes through the generations, their families simply can't afford to maintain it and it just becomes a derelict ruin. 

It will be category A listed by HES however. So any work done on its restoration will require the same building techniques and the same materials to be used. It will probably cost about £3-5million to restore it.

If i win the Euro millions, I'll buy it and fix it up. :laugh2:

14 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Yes, he also had this house at Polton, just down from Loanhead.

Mavisbank%20House%20Simpson%20and%20Brow

Mavisbank House, it took part in some TV show that would have seen it restored if it won but got beat in the final to some baths in Manchester.

Quick search shows that Mavisbank hasn't been owned by the Clerk family since 1815.

Edited by graygo

14 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It was Sir John's son, Sir Robert Maxwell Clerk who was the Lord-Lieutenant of Midlothian.

He's not dead but retired from the position in April this year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/lord-lieutenant-for-midlothian-30-april-2020#:~:text=Queen appoints new Lord-Lieutenant for Midlothian.&text=The Queen is pleased to,who retired on 3rd April.

Edit: Apologies, both held the position.

Edited by graygo

7 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

They were skint 35 years ago when I worked there.

These estates and houses were built when materials and labour was cheap with no eye on tbe future, death duties were crippling and many places were lost, which considering the history of some houses was a great shame.

I worked on an estate near Stow, at one time there was a "roof tax" on big houses, so many owners hires a JCB and knocked in the roof and let them decay, it nearly happened to the house on the this estate untill the nephew came home from Australia and saved the place. I know foreign ownwership is controversial but so many estates have had huge financial input from foreign owners in the last 20 or so years.

Cheers for reply. Interesting.

I wonder was it not possible to sell some of the houses/land?

I guess much easier these days to find ways to utilise it.

• 3 weeks later...
Lone Striker
On 14/07/2020 at 02:28, graygo said:

Mavisbank House, it took part in some TV show that would have seen it restored if it won but got beat in the final to some baths in Manchester.

Quick search shows that Mavisbank hasn't been owned by the Clerk family since 1815.

Ahhh yes ..... reading through this thread, I kept thinking it might be Mavisbank. It was featured in the Gryff Rhys-Jones program "Restoration" about 8 years ago - it was trying to re-awaken public interest in derelict /closed old buildings of architectural value. There was a prize (grant) for the winner (votes from viewers) to enable some restoration.     Really interesting thread ... thanks for the photos and individual info etc.    Love seeing and reading about this sort of stuff.  👍