Wigan sell Davie Weir's son to pay wages...

Section Q

Tommy Brown
23 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

£500K for a laddie who has made 1 1st team appearance this season?!?!

And father is on staff of buying club.

Ronald Villiers

Christ, Davie comes from Falkirk, near where I stay.  I've seen him out and about when I've been out with the dog a loads of times.  I've known who he is for years, he's always been a very nice guy.  I never knew he had a laddie that played for England.  

August Landmesser
7 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Without knowing David Weir's son plays football...that's a pretty sinister thread title!

All sorts of Gary Glitter connotations :gok:

10 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

£500K for a laddie who has made 1 1st team appearance this season?!?!

Not sure is that much money in English Premier league for taking punt of youth player

9 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I can see him ending up playing for the Scottish first team when its clear England wont pick him (like a few other Scottish eligible players in the English youth ranks.)

Anyone of note ? Apart from karamanko dembele didn’t know there were potential Scottish players in English ranks

11 hours ago, EarnockJambo said:

And this isn't the slightest bit dodgy?!?!?

People wanted Weir as Sporting Director too.Kinda has echos of the Lewis McLeod transfer no? 

2 hours ago, maroon said:

Anyone of note ? Apart from karamanko dembele didn’t know there were potential Scottish players in English ranks

Not sure he's been capped for their youths but Che Adams I'm sure is eligible for us. He'd be worth a chat if I'm right

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, maroon said:

That wee Dembele can bolt. He made his choice. I’d rather be constantly shite that go crawling to players that chose England first. 

Ibrahim Tall

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8491323/Tottenham-line-transfer-raid-Wigan-Joe-Gelhardt-Jensen-Weir.html

Spurs and a few other clubs were interested a few weeks ago and he’s an England youth international, he’s not solely being signed because he’s Davie Weirs kid.
 :jj_facepalm:

500k is a pittance at that level, Swansea paid about the same for Botti Biabi from Falkirk and he’s already back at Stenhousmuir.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

15 hours ago, EarnockJambo said:

And this isn't the slightest bit dodgy?!?!?

And folk think he would be a good DoF for us.  

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Paolo said:

And folk think he would be a good DoF for us.  

This should end that chat. 

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Not sure he's been capped for their youths but Che Adams I'm sure is eligible for us. He'd be worth a chat if I'm right

He’s played for England’s U20s but yeah his grandad is Scottish so he is eligible. He’s 24 now so in the next wee while it’s likely he will realise he might not get a game for England and we might be able to convince him to play for Scotland.

1 league appearance and he's worth 500k?  He will not kick a ball for Brighton. Meanwhile Laurent Robert's kid signs for The Diamonds.   

jamboinglasgow
15 hours ago, maroon said:

Not too much, there are some but the other one I can remember is Luis Binks, an 18 year old midfielder who was at Tottenham but now at Montreal impact in MLS and playing games for them. He was a Scotland youth player but moved to England U18s.

Harvey Barnes of Leicester is eligible for Scotland, though he will probably be a very tough one to recruit. As someone else said, Che Adams is another.

I do think the SFA need to scour the youth teams of other nations to find eligable Scottish players, I know people get angry at players whose only connection to Scotland is grandparents not getting a game but I will take whatever talent we can find.

Tommy Brown

Jamie Paterson has scored a couple of raspers for Bristol City in the last two games.

Both parents are Scottish. He has let it be known he would love to play for Scotland.

12 hours ago, JackLadd said:

1 league appearance and he's worth 500k?  He will not kick a ball for Brighton. Meanwhile Laurent Robert's kid signs for The Diamonds.   

First league appearance as a 15yr old!

Then 3 more this year for 1st team at 18.

Clearly has talent, and has been scouted by some top teams.

Not just being signed as he is Davie's son, but it will have given Brighton an advantage in getting him for sure.

Edited by Gulf Jambo
Mistake

On 13/07/2020 at 00:23, Pasquale for King said:

Imagine letting your son play for England 🙈

Wee Berti truths broke him. Bitter! 

Edited by ri Alban

LarrysRightFoot

Letting? Is it Davie’s choice?

The kid was born in and obviously lives in England. 

Also at that age where is the harm in playing for other countries - it’s not a future commitment. The England set up is likely light years ahead of ours, he will also be playing with better players. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Templeton Peck

His daughter plays for Scotland at youth level. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Letting? Is it Davie’s choice?

The kid was born in and obviously lives in England. 

Also at that age where is the harm in playing for other countries - it’s not a future commitment. The England set up is likely light years ahead of ours, he will also be playing with better players. 

Yes you should bring your kids up to want to play for your pitiful country to try and help them get better. Tells you all you need to know about his allegiances, Hun *****.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, Templeton Peck said:

His daughter plays for Scotland at youth level. 

Good 👍🏽

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes you should bring your kids up to want to play for your pitiful country to try and help them get better. Tells you all you need to know about his allegiances, Hun *****.

The kid was born in England and has probably spent most of his life there. Maybe Weir or his wife have English family/heritage too. 

Also as I said he’s not made a commitment to England yet but receiving better training and by playing with better players it may benefit Scotland in the long term - if he commits to us. 

On another thread there’s a discussion about how good English youngsters are looking - maybe our (potential) youths can benefit from the training they receive. Gilmour being a prime current example. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

The kid was born in England and has probably spent most of his life there. Maybe Weir or his wife have English family/heritage too. 

Also as I said he’s not made a commitment to England yet but receiving better training and by playing with better players it may benefit Scotland in the long term - if he commits to us. 

On another thread there’s a discussion about how good English youngsters are looking - maybe our (potential) youths can benefit from the training they receive. Gilmour being a prime current example. 

Just read that he’s played for our u16/17 and their u17/18. He will need to be good to make it for them, as you say there are loads of great players coming through just now. These youngsters are probably better off down there learning their trade.