Favourite non (or low) alcohol beer

Francis Albert

37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's the point though, it caters for people who are for beer but for whatever reason don't want the alcohol. As governer tarkin says, I've often got the craving for a beer but need to drive/exercise/work later and it's perfect for that.

Its a bit of a hipster fad where lightweight drinkers can pretend they are drinking.

37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Sure any sugar free pop is just a knock-off of the real thing too? 

No.  A sugar free fizzy drink is still a fizzy drink.  Soft drinks are anything from water to fruit juice, fizzy drinks, and even coffee or tea.

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Its a bit of a hipster fad where lightweight drinkers can pretend they are drinking.

No.  A sugar free fizzy drink is still a fizzy drink.  Soft drinks are anything from water to fruit juice, fizzy drinks, and even coffee or tea.

There's no point in sugar free pop, if your going to drink it just drink the real thing then surely going by your logic? 

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Clausthaler and Kaliber are the two I remember from the 80s. Preferred the former. 

I don't remember Clausthaler from the 80s and only discovered it in our local Waitrose a few weeks back. Is Kaliber still around? ... not seen it for decades.  Not good as I recall but as others posting (on topic) have said the quality and variety of low and non-alcoholic beer has improved immensely since the 80s.

I find my favourites are low-alc (0.4% or 0.5%) rather than non-alc (less than 0.05%  ... maybe to do with the process required to remove the last traces of alcohol. 

58 minutes ago, Taffin said:

There's no point in sugar free pop, if your going to drink it just drink the real thing then surely going by your logic? 

Nope there is a very good reason for switching to Sugar Free - protecting your teeth.

Hector Riva

San Mig 00 very cold. Love it San Miguel 0,0, the authentic non alcoholic beer | San Miguel

Oh... the flavoured Apple or Lemon fantastic

Edited by Hector Riva

23 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Tennents L.A. :laugh2:

I remember my dad buying me a 4 pack for watching the 1994 Cup Final. My mum went nuts when she got home. 

I remember drinking that back in the day at The Twig in Bathgate. The most foul tasting rancid piss ever brewed. It was either that or Kaliber which was slightly better. The non-alcoholic choice for drivers then was truly awful. And you can only drink so many fresh orange and lemonades. Now if I'm driving, I'd pick a cranberry juice or Beck's Blue if they have it.

3fingersreid
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Clausthaler and Kaliber are the two I remember from the 80s. Preferred the former. 

That’s another blast from the past Clausthaler, still convinced there’s another though . 
I do like the alcohol free ciders . 

4 hours ago, Hector Riva said:

San Mig 00 very cold. Love it San Miguel 0,0, the authentic non alcoholic beer | San Miguel

The St Mike is good stuff, if you like that sort of thing!

Auld Reekin'

Bavaria, Heineken & Weihenstephaner hefeweiss are all reasonably OK in their alky-free versions. Erdinger's OK.

Another I tried recently and thought was pretty decent (everything's relative...) was Old Speckled Hen. Never seen it here, but Victoria alky-free from Málaga is also tolerably good.

Agree with OP though: I don't like any soft, sweet, fizzy, drinks, so if I'm in the pub but driving, or otherwise taking a break from it, I'd much prefer to drink alky-free beer* than anything else. The comment that it could "lead you into temptation" and encourage you to switch to proper beer is nonsense, or at least it is in my experience...

(*Beck's Blue excepted - it's fecking horrible.)

RICHARD THE LION HEART

Decided to stay of the nectar for the whole of July - bought a few cans of Brewdog Punk AF - not bad at all 🍺

2 minutes ago, RICHARD THE LION HEART said:

Decided to stay of the nectar for the whole of July - bought a few cans of Brewdog Punk AF - not bad at all 🍺

Stopping drinking has not  been good for your spelling.

:biggrin:

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, dtgj said:

It's not alcohol free but the Small Beer brewery in London does some really nice beers - https://theoriginalsmallbeer.com/ 

Can be a pain for ordering in pubs if they think by 'Small Beer' you meant a half pint... 

Small beer takes us a little off topic but then that is par for the thread and at least is more relevant. Historically it was the health drink of its day when water was for the commmon man or woman or indeed children often deadly. For those who reject the concept (?) of low alcohol beer I wonder what the cut off point for the concept is.  0.5% it seems is below the acceptable level. 1%. 2%?

Governor Tarkin
19 hours ago, Hector Riva said:

Good call. We had this onboard a vessel I was working on a couple of years ago. It was amazing how an ice cold bottle on deck at sunset lifted the mood of the crew.

Governor Tarkin
21 hours ago, frankblack said:

The Mrs is preggers atm and loves a Becks blue at our frequent barbies.

Normally a premium lager type of gal.