Jack Charlton

Selkirkhmfc1874

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Sadly died this morning ! Thoughts n prayers with his family and friends R.I.P

Just seen it on news. Great player in his day. RIP..

Салатные палочки

Just seen this on the news. 

Great guy. Always enjoyed his interviews. I remember the one at the 94 WC where he couldn't remember the name of the theme park the players went to on their day off. It was Disney world.

Just caught this sad news.

I had the pleasure of his company a number of times. A keen fisherman his second home was Ballina Co Mayo. We were fishing for sea trout and moored up on Bartra Island for lunch. He was there with a few pals. Picnic with a couple of glasses of red.

A lovely lovely guy. Really humble with a wicked sense of humour.

We ended up fishing up the Moy the following day and he joined us along with his wife.

RIP Jack. 

John Findlay

Really down to earth fella. Told it straight. World cup winner. You cant get any better than that.

RIP Jackie Charlton.

Toxteth O'Grady
19 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

I had the pleasure of his company a number of times. A keen fisherman his second home was Ballina Co Mayo. We were fishing for sea trout and moored up on Bartra Island for lunch. He was there with a few pals. Picnic with a couple of glasses of red.

We ended up fishing up the Moy the following day and he joined us along with his wife.

RIP Jack. 

I remember watching a program of him fishing the Moy. He loved it there

Carl Fredrickson

RIP Jack

Loved watching Ireland when he was manager - a proper team at international level. A few average players who worked their socks off with him. The class players did their part too. 

My brother worked with/was friends with Tommy Charlton (another brother) who was said to be the best footballer of the Charltons. He chose a career in mining. 

Jack, like Clough, was always worth listening to when being interviewed. Some guy that he was English, is a hero in Ireland and is liked/respected by so many Scots. 

Radio Ga Ga

Sat beside him on a flight from Alicante to Newcastle about 30 years ago, one of the most down to earth 'celebrities' I've ever met. RIP Jack

47 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

RIP Jack. 

I'm not a fisherman or even the outdoors type, but that sounds really cool. Good memories.

RIP Jack. Very likeable guy

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Just seen this on the news. 

Great guy. Always enjoyed his interviews. I remember the one at the 94 WC where he couldn't remember the name of the theme park the players went to on their day off. It was Disney world.

I remember it was either an interview after an Ireland match or he was a pundit, but he couldn’t remember the name of a Swedish player and so referred to him as “the big blonde Swedish lad” 😂😂

Terrific character.

RIP Jack

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

I remember it was either an interview after an Ireland match or he was a pundit, but he couldn’t remember the name of a Swedish player and so referred to him as “the big blonde Swedish lad” 😂😂

Terrific character.

RIP Jack

Brilliant.

Seymour M Hersh

Bill Shankly wanted to sign Big Jack when he first arrived at Liverpool but a (at the time) myopic board wouldn't give him the cash. At the same time he wanted to sign Dave Mackay and Brian Clough.  Anyhoo, RIP Jack a genuine footballing legend. 

Geordies I worked with years ago used to joke that Jack and Bobby “never pulled on the famous black and white!”.....but in truth they were fiercely proud of two great Geordie born and bred footballers, of which there have been many.  

A sad day as another down to earth, old school great leaves us.

RIP.  

maroonsgotop

great man who was a hero in both England and Ireland.

I was at Gary Mackay's testimonial dinner when he was the guest speaker. As other's have said he was very much a down to earth humble guy with a wicked sense of humour

RIP big Jack 

Edited by maroonsgotop

40 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Bill Shankly wanted to sign Big Jack when he first arrived at Liverpool but a (at the time) myopic board wouldn't give him the cash. At the same time he wanted to sign Dave Mackay and Brian Clough.  Anyhoo, RIP Jack a genuine footballing legend. 

A different era.

No freedom of contract for players as well. Teams would have been very different. 

But stability instead allowed one of the great, possibly underrated centre half partnerships with Norman Hunter. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Shanks said no

RIP Jack

Hopefully Bobby and him resolved some of their differences before he passed.

Sad news.

Had the pleasure of his company when he was a speaker at Neil Berry's testimonial evening at the Sheraton Hotel. Great stories and wit typically associated with a Geordie. He had time for everyone and obliged with signatures etc (I got him and other guests to sign my dinner menu which I still have)

R.I.P. Big Guy

Boston Jambo

Back in 1967, at Wembley, he played most of the game against Scotland with a broken toe. No subs back then, big Jack had to play up in attack due to his lack of mobility. He managed to grab a goal too. Brave man, it was painful to watch him hopping about.

Kidd’s Boots
3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

RIP Jack. 

Loved his field sport as well as fishing. I remember him cropping up from time to time on BBC 2 during the late 70's early 80's in documentaries.. sounds like great memories you have of him.

RIP Jack

RIP 'Big Jack' a one man club as a player for Super Leeds and a great down to earth guy.

There will be a few glasses of Guinness raised in your memory in the Republic of Ireland where you were loved.

A genuine legend of the game. A hero in Ireland and a true gentleman. Had the pleasure of hearing a couple of his after dinner speeches which were absolutely hilarious. He will be much missed. RIP big man.