Xander Irvine

JamboSpur

Салатные палочки

Absolutely tragic.  Rest in peace wee fella.  

Hundreds upon hundreds turned out on Morningside Road to pay respects to the wee man and family. 

William H. Bonney

Not sure I’d want the funeral cortège to pass the exact spot where my 3 year old child was tragically killed. 

When are we going to start annual driving tests for over 70's?

The current "have to renew every 3 years after the age of 70" is meaningless as it's not based on an assessment of driving ability and can be done through the post or online(!)

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

When are we going to start annual driving tests for over 70's?

The current "have to renew every 3 years after the age of 70" is meaningless as it's not based on an assessment of driving ability and can be done through the post or online(!)

That would be discrimination.

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That would be discrimination.

It shouldn't be though should it, the safety of the public has to come first?

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It shouldn't be though should it, the safety of the public has to come first?

Fair enough.

I wonder what statistics are on who causes more accidents age wise.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was younger drivers.

Don’t want to go off topic so I’ll leave it there.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Terrible shame this.

They really need to just ban parking along the likes of Morningside, make the pavement twice as wide and add bollards etc. I think there are plans already given social distancing, but the city needs to be reclaimed from cars. The pavement should be safe and protected.

Life can be so cruel,thinking of his parents at this sad time

From everyone at jamboskickback. 

R.I.P. Xander x

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been in tears a few times about this since it happened. Partly because my wife and son are the same age as Zander and his mum and obviously it happened in a familiar location. It's difficult to even think about the grief his parents must be experiencing.

Re driving tests for over 70's, I'm on a 3 year renewable licence because of my health condition, every three years I have to re-apply for my licence to be renewed with supporting evidence from my consultant that I'm fit to drive. It's a difficult balance to achieve, because a lot of people rely on driving for their independence, however I do agree that there should be tighter controls on fitness to drive. Ultimately though you would hope that an individual would take responsibility on their own fitness to drive and recognise as to whether they are still fit to get behind the wheel.

Probably also fair to recognise at this point it hasn't been determined that the 91 year old lady was at fault, even if it does seem on the balance of probabilities, quite likely.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Fair enough.

I wonder what statistics are on who causes more accidents age wise.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was younger drivers.

Don’t want to go off topic so I’ll leave it there.

Stats do say that folk in their 20s are in more accidents, because they drive like ******s.

However, they are less likely to drive the wrong way on a motorway like the auld yins have form for doing.

My own grandfather was involved in three awful episodes (ran a red light at a pedestrian crossing nearly hitting a woman crossing the road pushing a buggy; didn't stop at a mini roundabout and just about launched the car into space when he ran right over the roundabout; got lost and confused due to roadworks diversions and ended up causing tens of thousands of pounds of damage to several cars as he got all agitated and was making demolition derby three point turns up and down a street) before we finally got his GP to take his licence off him.

Fitness to drive tests should be mandatory throughout life, say every 5 years for under 70s then every year after that.

2 hours ago, kila said:

Terrible shame this.

They really need to just ban parking along the likes of Morningside, make the pavement twice as wide and add bollards etc. I think there are plans already given social distancing, but the city needs to be reclaimed from cars. The pavement should be safe and protected.

This.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been in tears a few times about this since it happened. Partly because my wife and son are the same age as Zander and his mum and obviously it happened in a familiar location. It's difficult to even think about the grief his parents must be experiencing.

Re driving tests for over 70's, I'm on a 3 year renewable licence because of my health condition, every three years I have to re-apply for my licence to be renewed with supporting evidence from my consultant that I'm fit to drive. It's a difficult balance to achieve, because a lot of people rely on driving for their independence, however I do agree that there should be tighter controls on fitness to drive. Ultimately though you would hope that an individual would take responsibility on their own fitness to drive and recognise as to whether they are still fit to get behind the wheel.

Probably also fair to recognise at this point it hasn't been determined that the 91 year old lady was at fault, even if it does seem on the balance of probabilities, quite likely.

It’s truly tragic.

34 minutes ago, Cheile said:

What action have the police taken, if any, against the old wifie who caused the accident?

It's still under investigation so it is not clear if she caused the accident. I would imagine death by dangerous driving would be the most severe thing that she could be charged with.

10 hours ago, kila said:

Terrible shame this.

It’s a shame, but the rest of your post is bollocks.

A 91 year old should not be allowed to be in control of a killing machine.  It’s utterly ridiculous that someone of that cognitive ability would be let loose behind the wheel of a car.  May as well let folk drive about after drinking 10 pints if we let folk drive at that age.  Ridiculous. 

41 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I cannot imagine the grief for the parents. It’d destroy me. I hope they get all the support they need. 

All drivers should be retested every five years on a full test. Yearly for new drivers and other high risk groups

Naw. The UK driving test is one of the strictest tests in the world. New drivers already have a low points threshold to encourage them to take things easy. Think it is six points before they have to resist their test. I agree that at retirement age people should undergo some sort of retest. Maybe not as strict as an official driving test. However whilst someone is deemed fit to work I don’t think it is fair to deem them unfit to drive. 

RIP wee fella. Can’t imagine what the parents are going through. Tragedy

Edited by AlimOzturk

Governor Tarkin

Utterly tragic. Was going to take a walk down to Morningside myself yesterday but I would've been a mess and thought better of it.

If this happened to my family I think I'd rather I didn't survive. I can't begin to imagine.

Rest in peace, wee fella.

jack D and coke

I can’t even comprehend the trauma his parents especially his mum will be going through. I don’t know if I’d be able to get myself through something like that tbh. Heart breaking...

The old dear (who really shouldn’t be driving granted) id imagine will also be feeling inconsolable doing that. 

Life is so cruel to some people...

RIP to the wee guy and I feel genuine sorrow for the people and families involved. This won’t be easy if that was your old mum or gran who done that too. 

Mrs Zico knows the mum through work - it’s an absolute tragedy. I feel so bad for them both. It was nice to see there was such a large turnout in Morningside; hopefully they can take some comfort from that.