Smart Doorbell

SecN

Being confined to home during lockdown and getting loads of home deliveries, I’ve realised that my doorbell is not loud enough. 

I’ve considered a Smart Doorbell with either Nest or Ring. Nest would be my first choice as I’ve got some of their other stuff. I’ve read I need to uprate my doorbell transformer to at least 16v. I’ve located the current one and it’s only 8V and is part of the existing dumb doorbell setup. 

Anyone done something like this themselves?  I’m not experienced with electricals although  I’ll be able to work out the bell and video part of it. 

08-FF0-B09-9863-4-E04-B9-B8-BD95349-ACA7

Edited by SecN
Image link

Harry Potter

Got mine of Amazon about a tenner, TOPOP wireless, transmitter can be fixed at door with either screws or sticky

back tape, receiver/ringer plugs in to any socket, livingroom etc.

plays 52 tunes lol.

9 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Got mine of Amazon about a tenner, TOPOP wireless, transmitter can be fixed at door with either screws or sticky

back tape, receiver/ringer plugs in to any socket, livingroom etc.

plays 52 tunes lol.

You must hate it when someone rings your door bell twice

Don’t know about Nest but Ring can be battery operated so no need to worry about any wiring. 

Edited by Dazo

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, kila said:

aye ha ha but you can hear it even at half volume

The latest Ring 3.0 can have a second battery purchased for about £20'ish so you can charge it in advance of the expected 3-month swap-over period. 

I have looked at cheap eBay options for wireless bells also, not Smart Bells but the sort of ones with 52 different tones as HP suggests.  They can be as cheap at £11, suppose the debate is whether a Smart Bell is a needed thing or not?

davemclaren
1 minute ago, SecN said:

The latest Ring 3.0 can have a second battery purchased for about £20'ish so you can charge it in advance of the expected 3-month swap-over period. 

I have looked at cheap eBay options for wireless bells also, not Smart Bells but the sort of ones with 52 different tones as HP suggests.  They can be as cheap at £11, suppose the debate is whether a Smart Bell is a needed thing or not?

I assume a smart bell is one with video?

Der Kaiser

A real smart bell would refuse to ring for folk you didn't want at your door......."We're working in the area and offering free quotes".

Or mild electrocution.....

Bull's-eye
49 minutes ago, kila said:

I doubt it's ever happened tbh.

Just now, Bull's-eye said:

Years ago a mate got a really cheapie wireless one. If you kept pressing the button tons of times it'd lag up and keep ringing that number of times. He'd end up having to take the batteries out the receiver to stop it chiming. Didn't last much longer before it was in a skip.

Years ago I'm sure passing Taxi's or Police cars could set off the early wireless door bells with their radio signals.

heartsfc_fan

Get a dog :D
Will let you know when the door goes.

In all seriousness look at the "Yi camera" range:

https://www.yitechnology.com/

I think they did some form of a doorbell device.

Ona side note, if you want a cheap CCTV type thing I got the Yi home cam 3 and sat it on a window sill inside the house and pointed it on the driveway. Great for watching both our motors but also has motion detection and night vision. Phone app is brilliant.

Amazon tend to do some cheap deals on these. Paid less than £20 for the camera and got a 32GB SD card for recording.

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

You wouldn’t believe that Harry (Doug) actually likes you.

Tbh.

Bull's-eye
38 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You wouldn’t believe that Harry (Doug) actually likes you.

Tbh.

Everybody likes me M. 

6 hours ago, SecN said:

Being confined to home during lockdown and getting loads of home deliveries, I’ve realised that my doorbell is not loud enough. 

I’ve considered a Smart Doorbell with either Nest or Ring. Nest would be my first choice as I’ve got some of their other stuff. I’ve read I need to uprate my doorbell transformer to at least 16v. I’ve located the current one and it’s only 8V and is part of the existing dumb doorbell setup. 

Anyone done something like this themselves?  I’m not experienced with electricals although  I’ll be able to work out the bell and video part of it. 

08-FF0-B09-9863-4-E04-B9-B8-BD95349-ACA7

If you dont need a camera on your doorbell then get a wireless doorbell from home bargains. I got one about a year ago as a cheap stop gap and have never bothered changing it. Its nice and loud,  can plug in the chime part anywhere (mines in my hall nearest the front door and can hear it anywhere in the house) and has about 40 tunes so one for any occasion 😂

If you want a camera one though I like the ring stuff. Don't have their doorbell but do have their security cam light and works a treat so would imagine their doorbell is decent 

3 hours ago, SecN said:

This brings back memories of a doorbell my dear old mother had about 40 years ago, which played 7 different tunes. You couldn't choose what tune to play, it just cycled through them. One of the tunes was 'Happy Birthday', of all things. It was damned embarrassing answering the door after that had played. If someone was expecting someone to come to the house, I used to go and press the doorbell so that tune was ready to play when they came.

Please tell me one of the 52 tunes is Happy Birthday? 😁

Unknown user
7 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

If you dont need a camera on your doorbell then get a wireless doorbell from home bargains. I got one about a year ago as a cheap stop gap and have never bothered changing it. Its nice and loud,  can plug in the chime part anywhere (mines in my hall nearest the front door and can hear it anywhere in the house) and has about 40 tunes so one for any occasion 😂

If you want a camera one though I like the ring stuff. Don't have their doorbell but do have their security cam light and works a treat so would imagine their doorbell is decent 

Same, I got one until I decided what to get longer term and it's justified an extended stay.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Same, I got one until I decided what to get longer term and it's justified an extended stay.

I was pleasantly surprised at its quality. Only issue I have is when my 14month old and 5 year old decide to press the tune selector button to go through the full repertoire of melodies 🙈

17 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Everybody likes me M. 

Modest as ever.  :lol: 

On 09/07/2020 at 00:19, Lemongrab said:

This brings back memories of a doorbell my dear old mother had about 40 years ago, which played 7 different tunes. You couldn't choose what tune to play, it just cycled through them. One of the tunes was 'Happy Birthday', of all things. It was damned embarrassing answering the door after that had played. If someone was expecting someone to come to the house, I used to go and press the doorbell so that tune was ready to play when they came.

Please tell me one of the 52 tunes is Happy Birthday? 😁

It is on this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075ZSRX92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nr7bFbAFAM78R

Great little doorbell, very easy to set up.
It has lots of different ring tunes. I've settled for a ding dong for now, but can alter to have a christmas, new year or birthday tune.
Can highly recommend. Does as much if not more than more expensive ones plus it says the outside bell press is waterproof. Time will tell.

6 hours ago, graygo said:

It is on this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075ZSRX92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nr7bFbAFAM78R

Great little doorbell, very easy to set up.
It has lots of different ring tunes. I've settled for a ding dong for now, but can alter to have a christmas, new year or 💥birthday tune💥.
Can highly recommend. Does as much if not more than more expensive ones plus it says the outside bell press is waterproof. Time will tell.

Thanks. I'll definitely have to look at that. 👍

Harry Potter
On 08/07/2020 at 21:24, kila said:

Years ago a mate got a really cheapie wireless one. If you kept pressing the button tons of times it'd lag up and keep ringing that number of times. He'd end up having to take the batteries out the receiver to stop it chiming. Didn't last much longer before it was in a skip.

😂😂

I got a Ring 2 a few months ago. As others have said its battery operated and lasts 2 to 3 mo the. Longer if you dont have it notifying you as often as I do. Only problem with that is that if your WiFi goes down so does your bell. I've got a 2nd battery charged and ready to go when the other runs out. Send you a notification to let you know when its nearly dead. 

With Ring you also need to consider that its going to cost you £25 a year to access any recordings it saves for you. Otherwise all you have is a live camera feed with no way of keeping the video. 

Ours is connected to our Amazon Echos and phones to alert us when someone rings it. 

Its been handy on 2 occasions when we haven't been in to get the door. And it will record any movement it detects 24/7. Ring will also replace it for free if anyone steals it.

Edited by hughesie27

I bought the nest one, i think its great, did have a cheap one before

that but kept going off in the middle of the night.

I have a couple of google smart speakers which work as your ringer which is pretty good.

If you have a nest hub its even better, person at the door appears on the screen when rings.

As for the transformer, i bought this from Amazon.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VCNYQFB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is also pretty good security, this is a clip of some fooker trying car doors in the middle of the night.

https://video.nest.com/clip/64a2bea7baef4d77aa89320678b8db3b.mp4