Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Last Laff

• Rick Sanchez

• Tommy Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tommy Brown

I just always think of him being sacked at Killie.

looking nap for relegation.

Steve Clarke comes adds no-one to the squad, transforms the team entirely.

SectionDJambo

So he might, finally, turn up about 20 years after JJ tried to spend £1m on him. At least he may have a winning mentality, unlike some of the coaches we've had in recent years.

You have to wonder what is going on at Dundee United, though. Why are these coaches so desperate to leave? It may even be referred to as a crisis, by our pals in the media, if it was Hearts.

The Dundee Utd bail out and the Hibs clear out makes us look like a very stable club. No wonder they all hate us.

This is why I don’t get giving Kirk and Gallagher new contracts cause when new manager comes in and wants to bring own staff we have to pay off the coach’s under contract 

11 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

there is a possibility he is a good coach but a poor manager, see cathro as an example

6 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

So he might, finally, turn up about 20 years after JJ tried to spend £1m on him. At least he may have a winning mentality, unlike some of the coaches we've had in recent years.

You have to wonder what is going on at Dundee United, though. Why are these coaches so desperate to leave? It may even be referred to as a crisis, by our pals in the media, if it was Hearts.

the coaches might be leaving as their new manager wants to bring in his own people

johnthomas
10 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

If I remember correctly the figure quoted was always £950,000 !

Strangely precise

Berra than you

I'd imagine Gallagher and Kirk will still be here even if we bring Ellbows and Forrest in. Stendel had tounge, Sievers, Kirk and galagher. I don't think 4 coaches (with one being a goalkeeping coach) is excessive. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not the old ‘might be a good coach, not a good manager line’ :facepalm:

People tried to desperately spin that line with Austin McFraud.

manaliveits105

Good we need people who have played at highest level and take no shit ! - welcome aboard Lee

The Old Tolbooth
27 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

This is how I remember his coaching career too

Hungry hippo
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Managers should always be allowed to have whatever support team they want. We have no idea if he will be a good coach or not but if that is what RN wants then fair enough.

15 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

If I remember correctly the figure quoted was always £950,000 !

Strangely precise

I remember that too. Ive seen a few transfers like that - possibly for tax reasons (??) or not to saddle the player with a 'price tag'. I think Jimmy Greaves signed for Spurs from Milan for £99,999 so he would not be the first £100,000 player.

Howdy Doody Jambo
36 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

If Weir joins too - how will the SMSM cope with two Rangers 'legends' at the devil's club?!

Davie Weir is already Hearts legend 

Heartsmad1874
26 minutes ago, theshed said:

This is why I don’t get giving Kirk and Gallagher new contracts cause when new manager comes in and wants to bring own staff we have to pay off the coach’s under contract 

Surely Kirk will go back to reserves/under 20 manager? Or whatever it is they call it these days.

4 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

Davie Weir is already Hearts legend 

Dont disagree but making the point the SMSM may struggle to cope with the paradox!

Tynecastlesmychurch
32 minutes ago, Section Q said:

The Dundee Utd bail out and the Hibs clear out makes us look like a very stable club. No wonder they all hate us.

Yeah...

How good does all the hate and anger from them feel tho! :verysmug:

23 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Or you could have pointed to Ian Cathro who is a very good coach, but not a good manager. Or are you just going to pretend he’s a shit coach to suit your narrative?

12 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Surely Kirk will go back to reserves/under 20 manager? Or whatever it is they call it these days.

Still to be determined if there will be any reserve/ youth games in the coming season. Likely that a lot of our younger players will be loaned out to L1/2 clubs to get game time. 

21 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Because it never worked out with McPhee doesn’t mean it won’t with others or the theory doesn’t apply. 

I’m sure you know enough about the game without me having to say that, mate . Some people will always be a number 2 and there’s a reason for that.  

Some have a go at management and find they are outwith their comfort zone or capabilities. They feel happier basically not being the decision maker but gel well with someone who is the boss in a partnership.  

53 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Does that mean LM has an eye for a player ?

11 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Dont disagree but making the point the SMSM may struggle to cope with the paradox!

I have no idea who the SMSM are? 🥺

All roads lead to Gorgie

Maybe he can work on Uche's jumping technique 🙂

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Or you could have pointed to Ian Cathro who is a very good coach, but not a good manager. Or are you just going to pretend he’s a shit coach to suit your narrative?

I have no idea if McCulloch is a good coach. Neither do you. But it suits your narrative to assume that he is.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I have no idea if McCulloch is a good coach. Neither do you. But it suits your narrative to assume that he is.

Im not assuming he is. I have no idea. You are the one claiming that it’s nonsense that someone can be a good coach but not a good manager. I was just providing you with a very obvious and recent example of exactly that.

13 minutes ago, lou said:

I have no idea who the SMSM are? 🥺

6 minutes ago, Gav M said:

Scottish Main Stream Media

Thanks for asking and answering. I knew it was a reference to the Scottish media but not the exact wording. 😊

Edited by martoon

1 minute ago, martoon said:

Thanks for asking and answering. I knew it was a reference to the Scottish media but not the exact wording. 😊

also known as the G(Glasgow)MSM

Just now, Gav M said:

also known as the G(Glasgow)MSM

Ah yes.

Cheers Gav. 

1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Why the **** would he want to take a step sideways? 

:laugh:

Debatable that it’s a sideways step tbh. Neilson took that step, and I don’t think he sees it as sideways in direction. Maybe things are a bit worse than reported at Killie.

Rick Sanchez
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Someone had a decent post the other day saying it was actually McCulloch that signed the crux of that team.

Brophy etc? Someone may be able to confirm.

Heartsmad1874
22 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Still to be determined if there will be any reserve/ youth games in the coming season. Likely that a lot of our younger players will be loaned out to L1/2 clubs to get game time. 

He can be the loans manager then :biggrin2:

Rick Sanchez
2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Debatable that it’s a sideways step tbh. Neilson took that step, and I don’t think he sees it as sideways in direction. Maybe things are a bit worse than reported at Killie.

Sorry buddy, I was taking the piss out of that Ashgar's comments.

Taking a step back to take a step up 👍

Edited by Rick Sanchez

If @BRY's link turns out to be accurate then it's fine by me. What's gone before is forgotten once you become "yin a' ooo". 

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

A young manager failing in his first managerial job at a basket case club isn't exactly unusual. 

1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Sorry buddy, I was taking the piss out of that Ashgar's comments.

Taking a step back to take a step up 👍

Ah, sorry chief. That’ll teach me to skim. 😄

Doesn’t have a lot of bearing on his ability as a coach or a manager, but McCulloch was not a shit player. Towards the end of his career he was able to prolong playing at a high level in Scotland because referees statistically let Rangers and Celtic players away with a lot of fouls before booking them or sending them off, and that is the player most remember nowadays. He was a standout at Motherwell however, and a nightmare for defenders when running at them with the ball at his feet. He was also an integral part of the Wigan team that surprised a lot of opponents in the EPL a few seasons later.

Batistuta87

Didn't like him as a player (obviously - he played for Rangers...) but he is the sort of strong character who didn't take any shit and who you'd secretly have quite liked to have had at your club... There's no doubting his footballing credentials and his experience on the pitch, so hopefully he can teach our lads a thing or two and maybe toughen them up a bit. I'd be happy to have him at Hearts.

1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

If Weir joins too - how will the SMSM cope with two Rangers 'legends' at the devil's club?!

Robbie was with Rangers as a youth as well.

PapaShango

I trust RN to arrange his assistants and back room team as he see fits. He is the one that has worked with these guys previously so knows their ability better than anyone on here. I think looking at a managerial record against being a coach is wrong. Loads of guys who are terrific coaches but just didn't cut it as a manager.