Career Change at 40

Haringshairband

4 hours ago, Lobey Dosser said:

My whole first and second year at uni I was in a constant state of "I'm too old for this", but it was definitely worth it in the end.

Even into 3rd and 4th year I was still thinking "how hard is it to turn your phone to silent and listen to a lecture for an hour without chatting shit up the back of the lecture theatre or classroom"??! 

Graduated BSc(hons) in 2017 at 42. 

8 hours ago, Shapes said:

I have a degree in marketing and worked in financial services marketing for a few years after I graduated. My job made me ill. I didn't even realise at the time that it was one of the biggest reasons my mental health was rock bottom. It all came to a head two years ago when I had spiralled a bit and had a lot else going on in my life too. Reached the stage I physically could not enter my place of work. I was signed off for 2 weeks, and then signed off for another 2 weeks. I remember thinking that I just could not ever go back. I took a complete punt at going back to uni. Saw there was places on nursing which I thought I could see myself doing. I sent off an enquiry through their clearing form, got an email back the next day asking me to go for an interview the following Tuesday. Went, got accepted that day, and started the following Monday. I now qualify as a nurse in just over a year (I'll be 32), my mental health has never been better and I have just never looked back since making that decision.

That's really good to hear :thumbsup:

Lobey Dosser
9 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Even into 3rd and 4th year I was still thinking "how hard is it to turn your phone to silent and listen to a lecture for an hour without chatting shit up the back of the lecture theatre or classroom"??! 

Graduated BSc(hons) in 2017 at 42. 

I cannot believe how much this annoyed me. Everytime I heard the messenger ping I would be filled with violent rage. 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Lobey Dosser said:

I cannot believe how much this annoyed me. Everytime I heard the messenger ping I would be filled with violent rage. 

Lucky when I went back full time In 1980 I was only 5 years older than most of the others and no mobile phones then. They still thought I was an old fart but I’m still good friends with most in my honours year, though a couple have sadly since died. 

Lobey Dosser
18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Lucky when I went back full time In 1980 I was only 5 years older than most of the others and no mobile phones then. They still thought I was an old fart but I’m still good friends with most in my honours year, though a couple have sadly since died. 

I was a full 20 years older than everyone - it was me and 30 teenagers. But yeah, I have become friends with quite a few of them too. 

On 07/07/2020 at 17:26, jonesy said:

Left English Language Teaching to study horticulture. Got my HNC. Now doing unbelievable amounts of ELT including material writing, examining and teacher training. A while away from it was good. Still got the horticulture on hold until 2021. Either way, I’ll be doing something I’m good at and enjoy. 

Is that the same as teaching English as a second language or adult learning stuff? I've been in a training role at my work for nearly 10 years and I get a buzz from training. I've thought a couple of times about doing some adult learning stuff on the side. Do I need any traching qualifications for it?

Spellczech
On 07/07/2020 at 21:29, Haringshairband said:

I hated property management, it was utterly soul destroying. Hope you get something suitable soon.

World is in need of a good property management company - every factoring company I've ever come across has been utterly useless; Every property management company I've had dealings with has been uselss...trying to take a skim from playing the tenants and landlords off against each other, or charging lots of money for rubbish service...

Haringshairband
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

World is in need of a good property management company - every factoring company I've ever come across has been utterly useless; Every property management company I've had dealings with has been uselss...trying to take a skim from playing the tenants and landlords off against each other, or charging lots of money for rubbish service...

I agree, but it's a no win situation for the PM's as no one likes their factor :lol: Thank feck I'm out of that now anyway.

Best advice I can offer, and I work in HR/recruitment/search, is to focus on the transferable skills you have and try to relate that to what you think you want to do. I really enjoy speaking with people with non-conventional careers and backgrounds as I think they bring something different to the table, with proper experiences, than a "normal" career path person. Not to say the latter isn't relevant, just I find the others a bit more interesting!

Best of luck with the career change- no regrets, do it and see what happens!!

joondalupjambo
On 07/07/2020 at 21:04, Smithee said:

Me, I'm aiming for solitary night shifts, ideally on unused sites where you're only there for insurance reasons so I can chill and get on with my hobbies.

You may say I'm a dreamer...

My son would get on with you I think.  He has a couple of degrees, honours in one of them and studied to Phd level then started in academia.  Hated it, lasted less than a year.  He now works packing Asda delivery trucks on the night shift four nights a week and then during all his free time sells art stuff and some written work. 

Absolutely loves his life, no hassle, no stress, no career nonsense to deal with and earns way more than I imagined.  He is a bit younger than you but says he hopes these days never end.  

He blames me because I always tried to advise him that happiness was far more important that pound notes.

davemclaren
57 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

My son would get on with you I think.  He has a couple of degrees, honours in one of them and studied to Phd level then started in academia.  Hated it, lasted less than a year.  He now works packing Asda delivery trucks on the night shift four nights a week and then during all his free time sells art stuff and some written work. 

Absolutely loves his life, no hassle, no stress, no career nonsense to deal with and earns way more than I imagined.  He is a bit younger than you but says he hopes these days never end.  

He blames me because I always tried to advise him that happiness was far more important that pound notes.

The trick is to get happiness and pound notes. 😎   

Unknown user
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Thats exactly what my mum always told me 

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

The trick is to get happiness and pound notes. 😎   

Absolutely but it is a tricky feat for many, many people as we all know. So many ever get the opportunity to have both.  Luckily I cannot complain😃

• 1 year later...

Just reading this thread to get some inspiration. I am in my mid 40's and I am so desparate for a change! In terms of what I have been doing for the past 20 years plus, I fell into the office trap AKA The Rat Race. My career to date has mainly been in the professional services sector recovering debts (booooooo). Unfortunately, due to my financial situation (mainly trying to clear off some debts) the option of paying for a course out of my own pocket is out of the question. In any event, I would welcome any suggestions from fellow Jambos on viable career options as I stare down the barrell of another 20 years or more of working life.

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, daveyhmfc said:

Just reading this thread to get some inspiration. I am in my mid 40's and I am so desparate for a change! In terms of what I have been doing for the past 20 years plus, I fell into the office trap AKA The Rat Race. My career to date has mainly been in the professional services sector recovering debts (booooooo). Unfortunately, due to my financial situation (mainly trying to clear off some debts) the option of paying for a course out of my own pocket is out of the question. In any event, I would welcome any suggestions from fellow Jambos on viable career options as I stare down the barrell of another 20 years or more of working life.

I joined the railway aged 42, after 11yrs in the Royal Navy, and 15yrs in IT with IBM. Railway has been good to me.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I joined the railway aged 42, after 11yrs in the Royal Navy, and 15yrs in IT with IBM. Railway has been good to me.

Thanks. Any suggestions on getting a foothold in the Rail industry? In asking that question, I realise that the most obvious steps that I can take are to look at the various Railway companies websites for vacancies.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, daveyhmfc said:

Thanks. Any suggestions on getting a foothold in the Rail industry? In asking that question, I realise that the most obvious steps that I can take are to look at the various Railway companies websites for vacancies.

As per your last sentence.

Kennedy Bakircioglu

I'm trying to change career just now as well. 

I used this site: https://yondur.com/. It hasn't helped narrow down options but I enjoyed the process and the results have given me some new things to look into.

The https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/ is meant to be worthwhile as well, although I haven't personally used it.

I read a book called 'You Coach You' by Helen Tupper and Sarah Ellis. Decent if nothing too ground breaking. I wrote a lot of notes in the book and found that to be a good process. They produce one of the popular Careers podcast, which would be worth your time also. 

1 hour ago, daveyhmfc said:

It's hard to get a job in the rail industry, I passed the online assessments for network rail then never heard a peep from them and scotrail haven't even got in touch to say no thanks. People have told me alot of the jobs are filled before they are advertised.

I changed career at fifty six, I became a total golfing, idle, holidaying, beer drinking layabout. My highest ambition was to never get drunk enough to pee my pants before I got to the can. I had a work pension, but I also live very well off society with an old age pension a social security pension and I guess its a bribe pension from Britain to ensure I don't come back. I don't see myself as a leech it was what I was born and raised to, I really had no choice, if old Jimmy had planked Queen Victoria or whoever, I would be living in a palace also, but old Jimmy married Hielan Mary and their act of love was me. I had no choice of birth, and neither do those who have a life of wealth and riches. I buy lottery tickets here in Canada for every draw, sometimes some hick from Saskatchewan will win mega million dollars, nothing he or I could do about it, the balls were put in a spinner and kicked out his numbers, other than having to buy tickets we had no choice, neither do the Royals, we just look at it and say this is how it was meant to be, no rancor, no envy, just buy another ticket. I just read this post and realised that the baddies in both examples birth and lottery are balls. Theres the culprit. 

I'm planning on a career change in the new year. My current office is to close & I'm banking on an exit package. The hierarchy are wanting everyone redeployed to other offices within the department. My issue is that I'm fed up with customer service work. I've done it for over 30 years. I've got a few months yet and I get regular emails for similar roles to what I'm doing now. However I need a change. Wfh and now hybrid working has made me realise how bs working for an employer is; not my employer but every employer. I'm just needing some ideas as to what to do. 

Edit: I'm 50 on my next birthday.

Edited by Marvin

8 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'm planning on a career change in the new year. My current office is to close & I'm banking on an exit package. The hierarchy are wanting everyone redeployed to other offices within the department. My issue is that I'm fed up with customer service work. I've done it for over 30 years. I've got a few months yet and I get regular emails for similar roles to what I'm doing now. However I need a change. Wfh and now hybrid working has made me realise how bs working for an employer is; not my employer but every employer. I'm just needing some ideas as to what to do. 

Edit: I'm 50 on my next birthday.

What kind of money are you expecting? I've looked into different jobs and the only ones I've found that are realistic due to my age and needing to earn a wage pretty quickly are becoming a driving instructor or doing my class 2. 

26 minutes ago, Morgan. said:

What kind of money are you expecting? I've looked into different jobs and the only ones I've found that are realistic due to my age and needing to earn a wage pretty quickly are becoming a driving instructor or doing my class 2. 

That's just it, I'll be looking at something around my current salary. Another dilemma is, if I stick it out then if I choose I can take early retirement at 60. I'm not self disciplined to do an open university course and I hate elearning. Doesn't leave me much options 🤔   Edit. I don't drive.

Edited by Marvin

John Findlay
16 hours ago, Morgan. said:

It's hard to get a job in the rail industry, I passed the online assessments for network rail then never heard a peep from them and scotrail haven't even got in touch to say no thanks. People have told me alot of the jobs are filled before they are advertised.

I don't disagree with this, as having been in the rail industry for 17 years now it is rife with cronyism and nepotism. Having said that, yes it's hard to get in, but even harder to get out of.

The railway is going downhill fast. The government area coming for jobs, pensions, and conditions of work.

With a tiny bit of luck I'll be retiring in the next couple of years but until then I'll be fighting them with my colleagues for the next generation.