Lafferty - Open Goal

Heartsmad1874

Heartsmad1874

2 hours and 20 minutes of the big man :pleasing: 

Here is a short clip of the episode from Twitter where he says he’d happily return!

Can’t believe he went in on 3 days of meetings asking for a certain amount of money as we offer him more 🙈

He has/had pretty much agreed terms with Motherwell as of Saturday tea time. I would love for us to have swooped in but I can’t see it. 

3fingersreid
5 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Guys an idiot. Couldn't wait to leave.

We all make mistakes , but I’m not sure I’d be taking him back 

His contract was reduced considerably after the first season with Hearts and the agreement was to always try sell him at the end of the first year. He walked into a wage at Rangers 4 or 5 times what we had him on after the reductions. He also suffered from the fact that he wasn’t Gerrards signing, Allen signed him. After the dick pic scandal and not telling Gerrard before it broke, he was never getting back into that Rangers side. He’s a big daft idiot but he’s a great guy and absolutely got what Hearts are about. I’d take him back in a heart beat. As I said tho, I think he’s agreed terms with Motherwell. 

Watched the full interview. Its typical of a west coast (I know he's northern irish) footballer with no real knowledge of Hearts prior to joining. I'd take him back though. He's only 32 and spoke with a lot of sincerity and respect about the club. Outwith referring to the 'rangers cousins' bit it was pretty decent. I think he might have been referencing that in relation to being one of the things he considered when joining but seemed to get distracted by the next part of his conversation to highlight how we're not. :D 

I think it goes to a need to continue working on breaking that perception though. We're not anyones 'cousins' we're just a club in that sense. Not one to try and stoke sectarianism and cosy up to that manner of thinking. Budge has done a lot to try and combat that, but its clear more needs to be done, maybe just in getting ourselves out there and building the Hearts 'brand' i.e community focused club centred on youth development. Scot Gardiner got heaps of praise from Lafferty, obviously the seat debacle aside, Scot sounds like a great guy (his actions at ICT speak to a guy with integrity). 

Lafferty seems a good guy that just wants to have a laugh, but knocking back a ridiculously lucrative move to Seoul to sign for less money than he was on here for Rangers for Staunch points is daft. I suppose its just the way it is for him, but given the gambling issues, it would have been a great chance for him to make back a lot of what he seems to have lost.  Seems silly. 

I think he'd be a great choice to push Boyce hard and perhaps work into a front 3. Lafferty Boyce Nicholson with Naismith or Walker in behind has a ton of potential. Any argument that we'd be getting someone who can't be arsed is daft. He's still in their national team and he'd be back up to Boyce which is less risky. Despite his obvious lack of professionalism, I don't think you should dismiss his love of football. If we signed him I think he'd fight tooth and nail for us. A 1 year deal isn't going to cause anyone any grief. If it doesn't work out, he can go sign for Motherwell, St Mirren or Accies. 

letsalllaughathobos

Would be a great addition, buckets of experience, 

I think he would come back with a point to prove and says at the end he would love to return good enough for me get the guy in,

wattie exploited

a one year deal is a win win much better than Washington or uche  :rifle:

3 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

a one year deal is a win win much better than Washington or uche  :rifle:

And whighton

wattie exploited
29 minutes ago, assessor said:

And whighton

that goes with out saying :653:

If he came back I’d be happy. If he didn’t it wouldn’t bother me. That kinda signing

Expected a lot more from that interview to be honest. Usually really like Si but didn’t ask a single question about the games Lafferty played with us. Lafferty said himself best season of his career and rightly so, he scored in 4-0 win VS Celtic and scored in a derby win at tynie and scored near enough 20 goals.Yet none of this was discussed and within minutes back talking about rangers. This interview really just made me want him less than before

Edited by maroon

Guys a prick. We were shite with him and we were shite without him. Not worth the hassle/baggage he brings. 

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

He made a fool of Hearts, didn’t he?

Why want ‘that sort’ back?

Came, scored big goals and made us money.

In the shear shitfest of the past four years in terms of money paid out to utter donkeys that couldn’t give a shit then no,  he didn’t make a fool of hearts big guy.   

Damour, Sammon, Osh, Martin Craig Levein, Ian Cathro Macphee perhaps.  Big Laff?  Na. 

26 minutes ago, lsimp77 said:

Guys a prick. We were shite with him and we were shite without him. Not worth the hassle/baggage he brings. 

Better with him than without.  That’s a fact. 

wattie exploited
45 minutes ago, lsimp77 said:

cover all your angles here :rifle:

Uncle Buck

He’s one of the best finishers we’ve had in the last 20 years or so. I’d love him back but like others have said I wouldn’t lose sleep if he didn’t.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Better with him than without.  That’s a fact. 

9 goals in 55 games since he left us, now that's a fact.

Edited by Smithee

Not a bad player imo and i agree that he is one of the best finishers we have had in a while, However i just feel he comes with too much baggage, would take him but would rather try and get nisbet or the lad at dundee united that we have been linked to?

The part about taking his T shirt off and using it to make petrol bombs in Manchester after the Rangers Europa cup final game has put me off.. 

Rick James

I sort of resent the fact that this guy is considered some sort of legend by sections of our support. And we all know exactly what section of Hearts support I mean.

Grateful for the season he spent here, and scored some big goals for sure. But I'm in no rush to get him back at all. Guy is 32, jacked us in the minute Rangers came looking, and is a bit of a bigoted erse. Not really a poster boy I want for my club.

But the UJ wavers love him though...

Every striker has a purple patch. His was that one season with us. The guy is a grade A weapon. 

Boyce, Naismith and Washington are better 

Special Agent Dale Cooper

It's definitely a conundrum. He would improve the striking department but I'm not sure we'll need to in the Championship.

He's also expensive and incites an unsavoury element of the support. However he will get my support should he sign, and we definitely need stronger personalities in the team.

Forever Hearts
11 hours ago, busby1985 said:

His contract was reduced considerably after the first season with Hearts and the agreement was to always try sell him at the end of the first year. He walked into a wage at Rangers 4 or 5 times what we had him on after the reductions. He also suffered from the fact that he wasn’t Gerrards signing, Allen signed him. After the dick pic scandal and not telling Gerrard before it broke, he was never getting back into that Rangers side. He’s a big daft idiot but he’s a great guy and absolutely got what Hearts are about. I’d take him back in a heart beat. As I said tho, I think he’s agreed terms with Motherwell. 

Garbage. He took a wage cut when he left Hearts to go to Rangers. 

Ainsley Harriott
10 hours ago, Morgan said:

He made a fool of Hearts, didn’t he?

Why want ‘that sort’ back?

Not really he joined us for nothing, scored goals and got us 750k in a transfer fee. The problem wasn't him leaving it was the fact his place in the team was then filled by the likes of Uche and Washington.

Салатные палочки
23 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Boyce, Naismith and Washington are better 

Naismith I'll give you. But Washington? No and Boyce is yet to prove it. 

Rick James
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Not really he joined us for nothing, scored goals and got us 750k in a transfer fee. The problem wasn't him leaving it was the fact his place in the team was then filled by the likes of Uche and Washington.

It's true, but I still felt like we had our fingers burnt a little. He was wanted and appreciated here. I called it the minute he left to go to Rangers, that he wouldn't be a first team player and would be on his arse within a season or 2.

The age he was at grouped with the fact that his wife was pregnant, and he'd had quite a nomadic career, meant that Hearts was perfect for him. With Levein on top of him and even Budge in his ear, he had the authoritative figures that he needed here, and it showed because for once in his career, he was playing in the top flight of Scottish football controversy free, and reaping the benefits. As good as he was for us, I genuinely believe we were just as good for him if not better.

Then Rangers signalled some interest, and he made it clear in no uncertain terms that he wanted to go. The whole 'boyhood club' argument I didn't buy from the start. He's already been there and done it all with his boyhood club, what reason was there to go back? As has been established, it wasn't for money. He went back to the cesspit of Weegie football, and within a matter of weeks, was all over the papers again for his behaviour off the park. Rangers had a decent season, which he barely played a role in.

Had he settled with us when he had the chance, he could've been a great here. But as others said, he's got even more baggage now than when we signed him. 

Rick James
4 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I think Washington could come good, especially in the Championship. We only seen glimmers of what he can do, but it wasn't a great season for him at all admittedly.

That said, he was hampered early on by a hamstring injury, then when he came back there was the changes in management etc. Not wanting to make excuses for the guy, but in a settled team, I think he deserves another season.

maroonlegions
11 hours ago, busby1985 said:

He has/had pretty much agreed terms with Motherwell as of Saturday tea time. I would love for us to have swooped in but I can’t see it. 

Source???

3 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Naismith isn’t even in question. In my opinion Boyce is a far more intelligent player who will do a lot more then just put the ball on the net. Washington has impressed but still has a lot to prove. How many times has he been played as a central striker? 2 or 3?

Like I said, that purple patch of a season when Lafferty scored 19 is clouding some people’s judgement. History and hindsight tells us that was a one-season-wonder. His general play was pretty poor and he is a bellend to boot. 

Anyway moot point. There’s no way we are going into a season in the championship with the afore mentioned 3 plus him. 

If we have:

Boyce

Naismith

Uche

Washington

Lafferty

and possibly more ... can't remember who else we have that's young.

We are going to score 100 goals in 27 games.

Allowayjambo1874

Not sure how many people have listened to the interview, his Hearts contract was written in such a way that it was inevitable that he was leaving in his second year. The alternative was for him to be on, as he put it, a very basic wage. 

It feels like he got the club and loved it here. We have enough strikers just now and surely more than enough for the championship. If both Washington & Uche left though I would think he be an ideal replacement on a one year deal with an option to extend. 

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Garbage. He took a wage cut when he left Hearts to go to Rangers. 

Haha okay. 

1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Source???

As of Saturday lunch time, the man himself. Like I said, the deal hadn’t been signed but it was pretty much agreed in principle. 

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

9 goals in 55 games since he left us, now that's a fact.

Only care how he done with us.  Sitting on the bench at bigger clubs doesn’t help any stat.  He’s played about as much games as a Craig Gordon in the last two years also. 

Bazzas right boot

Scored some very good goals. 

However, his overall play was quite poor,And with him leading the line in general we weren't very good. Goncalves imo was more effective overall and more involved in games. 

He also left us quick enough to go to his boyhood heroes, so a no from me, but if he did come back, fair enough. 

Does Naismith not dislike him- a lot anyway, so if that's true, no chance. 

Edited by Smith's right boot