The year’s youth intake from the academy

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Normally around this time of year we are told who the latest players who have signed professional contracts to move up from the academy to the U18s. Does anyone know when we will be told who the latest lot are?

Do you honestly think this is under discussion in current climate I reckon Roger has more pressing matters at moment.

mahgrassyshoes

I honestly can’t think of what would be more pressing for the head of the academy than the contract situation of all the youngsters who’s contracts likely expired 4-5 days ago. 

Jambof3tornado
53 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Normally around this time of year we are told who the latest players who have signed professional contracts to move up from the academy to the U18s. Does anyone know when we will be told who the latest lot are?

I came on thinking you had names!!!

Could be a harsh cull??

Jambof3tornado
51 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Do you honestly think this is under discussion in current climate I reckon Roger has more pressing matters at moment.

Like?

Footballfirst

Organised contact sports for children and young people can resume from 13 July, so theoretically Hearts could resume academy training from that date. That would obviously require payment to coaching staff, some of whom may currently be on furlough.

Footballfirst

The next age group due to get full time contracts are those born in 2004.

Of them, Callum Flatman is probably rated the best prospect as he has already played for Scotland's U16s.  I don't think there will be 6 or 8 getting full time contracts as in previous years.

15 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The next age group due to get full time contracts are those born in 2004.

Of them, Callum Flatman is probably rated the best prospect as he has already played for Scotland's U16s.  I don't think there will be 6 or 8 getting full time contracts as in previous years.

I have maybe missed you saying this elsewhere FF but do you think the quality of player we are producing is getting any better? 

Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

I have maybe missed you saying this elsewhere FF but do you think the quality of player we are producing is getting any better? 

No is the short answer.

There are always one or two stand outs at each age group but there are no obvious  groups of a half a dozen or so  talented kids coming through together, until you go down to the 2007s and younger, but for them it is far too soon to be making such judgements.

We will have to wait for a few more years to see if the investment in coaching staff and approaches such as box soccer produce results. 

Neil Dongcaster

Leno McSwigan is one of the most gifted footballers to come through the youth ranks in years.