Fly Fishing

Harry Potter

indianajones

Last three trips with a mate to the local has resulted in a sea trout, a grilse and a salmon. 

Finally starting to run with that little rain we had. 

Been tying up some massive streamers and ripping them through pools. Lost a Brownie of a lifetime a few weeks ago which I am still gutted about! 

Lone Striker
On 31/07/2020 at 23:03, One five said:

Yeah it’s the limestone lochs we are going to hopefully caladail and croispol I’ve read they are the best so fingers crossed it all goes good .

I’ve never fished the Deveron I’ve heard good reports from it with the sea trout fishing will hopefully get up there one day. 

I would not no what fly for salmon when I fished the whitadder it was whatever looked the brightest lol , my wife got us a hotel in Dunkeld for us for my birthday and it included a spey castings lesson for me on the Tay it was absolutely brilliant I picked it up pretty good but still not a take eh maybe not that good lol😡

Nymphs where a favourite at portmore also at end of august /September the daddy was great ! loved watching them chase it before the strike great fun maybe don’t give give the rainbows enough credit nowadays stuck in my ways I suppose 😆.

An "expert"  fishing buddy of mine has caught many hundreds of salmon on various Scottish rivers - but has never used a salmon rod. All caught on single-handed trout rods. He's very cynical  about all this spey-casting guff and reckons its just part of the exaggerated salmon-fishing mythology which Scotland (and some other countries) has invented over the years for commercial reasons.   

Dapping with a bushy fly or a Daddy  can be exhilarating, especially for sea-trout  .... but you have to be prepared for long periods of nothing !!!    Real Daddies seem to be getting rare nowadays thanks to modern farming  & forestry, so it's a miracle that trout even recognise an artificial one.        

What happened with Portmore ?  Why did they decide to turn it into a "specimen" pike water ?   Didn't their fancy lodge get burnt down ? 

I’m not sure what happened to portmore I think the guy who ran it became ill.I know a guy who was a member so I’ve txt him to find out about it but he has not answered so far yet but when he does I’ll let you know mate👍

3fingersreid

I’ve had a look at the prices of some of the lines , shocked at how bloody dear some of them are 😱 , can anyone recommend a line( fishing😉)  at the “ cheaper “ end of the  price scale .
If I start up again it’ll be either water of leith or maybe harlaw reservoir and if I like it maybe morton fishery 

15 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’ve had a look at the prices of some of the lines , shocked at how bloody dear some of them are 😱 , can anyone recommend a line( fishing😉)  at the “ cheaper “ end of the  price scale .

John Norris.

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

If I start up again it’ll be either water of leith or maybe harlaw reservoir and if I like it maybe morton fishery 

Airflow is a cheap fly line around £20 as long as you get the proper size for your rod give it a good stretch it should do you fine. Get yourself good leader though 👍

1 hour ago, One five said:

Airflow is a cheap fly line around £20 as long as you get the proper size for your rod give it a good stretch it should do you fine. Get yourself good leader though 👍

What's Yellow and sinks?

An Airflo floating line!!

22 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

An "expert"  fishing buddy of mine has caught many hundreds of salmon on various Scottish rivers - but has never used a salmon rod. All caught on single-handed trout rods. He's very cynical  about all this spey-casting guff and reckons its just part of the exaggerated salmon-fishing mythology which Scotland (and some other countries) has invented over the years for commercial reasons.   

Dapping with a bushy fly or a Daddy  can be exhilarating, especially for sea-trout  .... but you have to be prepared for long periods of nothing !!!    Real Daddies seem to be getting rare nowadays thanks to modern farming  & forestry, so it's a miracle that trout even recognise an artificial one.        

What happened with Portmore ?  Why did they decide to turn it into a "specimen" pike water ?   Didn't their fancy lodge get burnt down ? 

The guy I used to fish with says Portmore is a syndicate water now he is a member,  Its still a great for rainbow  But it does have alot of Pike.

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Wychwood lines are decent ......   currently £30 at Sportfish.  Just make sure you get the correct line rating for the AFTM rating of your rod  (that's standard advice for all lines though).     Airflo lines used to be reasonably priced, but seem to be around the £60 mark now.

I wouldn't recommend "own brand" lines  (John Norris, Sportfish etc) - I bought one several years ago..... poor coating on it, rubbing noisily against the rod rings every cast.   Uneven density too - some bits floated, some bits sank.

Hope that helps, sir

Lone Striker
22 minutes ago, One five said:

The guy I used to fish with says Portmore is a syndicate water now he is a member,  Its still a great for rainbow  But it does have alot of Pike.

Ah ok, thanks  - didn't realise it's still on the go.    I guess the Lake of Menteith experience shows that large pike don't seem to pose much of a threat to  2lb (plus) rainbows if there are other species for them to predate on (including juvenile pike !!)  - so Portmore will be similar. 

48 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Wychwood lines are decent ......   currently £30 at Sportfish.  Just make sure you get the correct line rating for the AFTM rating of your rod  (that's standard advice for all lines though).     Airflo lines used to be reasonably priced, but seem to be around the £60 mark now.

I wouldn't recommend "own brand" lines  (John Norris, Sportfish etc) - I bought one several years ago..... poor coating on it, rubbing noisily against the rod rings every cast.   Uneven density too - some bits floated, some bits sank.

Hope that helps, sir

Wow never knew airflo are that price now , they where cheap when I used to buy my gear at hook , line and sinker Years ago .

Lines are what you pay for , I like orvis lines they are fairly expensive but worth it for me 👍

indianajones
5 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Check out Barrio lines. 

I pretty much use nothing other than Rio these days. Excellent lines.

Edited by indianajones

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, One five said:

Wow never knew airflo are that price now , they where cheap when I used to buy my gear at hook , line and sinker Years ago .

Lines are what you pay for , I like orvis lines they are fairly expensive but worth it for me 👍

Gosh - thats a blast from the past.   Was that the shop at Balgreen or the shop at Roseburn ..... or somewhere else ?  Maybe the shop at Churchill   (Ron Sharp's - became a  bathroom shop after he sold it)  ?

Edited by Lone Striker

indianajones
8 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Gosh - thats a blast from the past.   Was that the shop at Balgreen or the shop at Roseburn ..... or somewhere else ?  Maybe the shop at Churchill   (Ron Sharp's - became a  bathroom shop after he sold it)  ?

Country life was at Balgreen! 

8 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

It was at Churchill they weren’t the cheapest but they where handy for me and had some good stuff  1/2 my gear is from them lol.

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, indianajones said:

Country life was at Balgreen! 

Memory not working last night 😕   Remembered it this morning while out walking the dogs  !!    Even remembered the name of the shop at Roseburn - Shooting Lines - I think it closed in the 90's, now a hairdresser or cafe.     It's weird  how the old grey matter works ... or doesn't work 🙄  

indianajones
5 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Memory not working last night 😕   Remembered it this morning while out walking the dogs  !!    Even remembered the name of the shop at Roseburn - Shooting Lines - I think it closed in the 90's, now a hairdresser or cafe.     It's weird  how the old grey matter works ... or doesn't work 🙄  

Sorry to say but the Roseburn one was way before my time... Cant remember that one! Vaguely remember the one at Churchill though. Used to go into Mikes down at Porty sometimes but noticed thats closed too now. 

On 01/08/2020 at 23:23, Lone Striker said:

I get your friends point about two handed rods (i've only ever had salmon on one handed trout rods too). That being said, casting a really heavy and/or large copper tube for example is almost near on impossible with a single handed rod. Especially if you are after distance! 

I bought a two handed rod at the start of the year with a Scandi shooting head. Spey, roll or overhead casting is a dream with the heavier flies. 

I live in the heart of the exaggerated salmon guff and can confirm it is infuriating!  

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, indianajones said:

Sorry to say but the Roseburn one was way before my time... Cant remember that one! Vaguely remember the one at Churchill though. Used to go into Mikes down at Porty sometimes but noticed thats closed too now. 

I get your friends point about two handed rods (i've only ever had salmon on one handed trout rods too). That being said, casting a really heavy and/or large copper tube for example is almost near on impossible with a single handed rod. Especially if you are after distance! 

I bought a two handed rod at the start of the year with a Scandi shooting head. Spey, roll or overhead casting is a dream with the heavier flies. 

I live in the heart of the exaggerated salmon guff and can confirm it is infuriating!  

These copper tube things flying past your ears in a strong wind sound lethal !!    Interesting to read your experiences - thanks. 👍

On 31/07/2020 at 22:02, Lone Striker said:

A couple of fishing guys I know live out Port Seton way, and when they get a whisper that the mackerel are inshore they head for Cockenzie area.   I think they actually fly fish for them - probably big flashy flies like Alexandra or sea trout flies.    I can't remember  what times of year the fish come in - sorry.  I think there used to be decent shore/rock fishing at some places on the Fife coast. Try the sea fishing chat forums to get some info.

Thanks for the reply 

On 04/08/2020 at 00:09, muiry said:

Up at loganlea today 5 rainbows

Floating line

Uv crunchers doing the damage. 

Never fished Loganlea ,

read it is good and well stocked 👍

Edited by One five

Blanked at my local res' yesterday, that's the third time on the bounce, top of tbe water activity has just been crap this year, I've seen less than 20 fish rise in the last three visits.

Everytime I fished it in the last two years I cought between three and nine, gutted!!!!

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Blanked at my local res' yesterday, that's the third time on the bounce, top of tbe water activity has just been crap this year, I've seen less than 20 fish rise in the last three visits.

Everytime I fished it in the last two years I cought between three and nine, gutted!!!!

What's your local reservoir ?    Places I've been to have been almost devoid of rising fish for the whole of July, despite loads of swifts/swallows/martins swooping low over the water  day after day.  It's got a wee bit better this last week but still erratic in terms of action.

As the old saying goes ..... that's fishing !! 

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

What's your local reservoir ?    Places I've been to have been almost devoid of rising fish for the whole of July, despite loads of swifts/swallows/martins swooping low over the water  day after day.  It's got a wee bit better this last week but still erratic in terms of action.

As the old saying goes ..... that's fishing !! 

http://www.stocksreservoir.com/

Stocks Reservoir, a beautiful place just 20 minutes from me.

3fingersreid

Was up at Harlaw reservoir yesterday with my wife and walking the dog , lots of fishermen but didn’t see anyone catching anything , plenty fish rising though.

As we were leaving we noticed a jeep type vehicle backing up to the water with two large containers , we stood and watched as they emptied the contents , lots and lots of trout , we were a good bit away but some of them looked a bloody good size .

Eventually got speaking a couple of bailiffs one was pleasant the other not so much so ! Anyway prices are £20 day permit and a 3 fish limit ( aye cause I’d catch 3 right enough 😂😂) or a £10 for evening fishing . Is that about the going rates ? 

Threipmuir reservoir didn’t have anyone fishing it , I’m guessing it’s not as good as Harlaw although given the size of it there must be some big fish in there 

Lone Striker
7 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Was up at Harlaw reservoir yesterday with my wife and walking the dog , lots of fishermen but didn’t see anyone catching anything , plenty fish rising though.

As we were leaving we noticed a jeep type vehicle backing up to the water with two large containers , we stood and watched as they emptied the contents , lots and lots of trout , we were a good bit away but some of them looked a bloody good size .

Eventually got speaking a couple of bailiffs one was pleasant the other not so much so ! Anyway prices are £20 day permit and a 3 fish limit ( aye cause I’d catch 3 right enough 😂😂) or a £10 for evening fishing . Is that about the going rates ? 

Threipmuir reservoir didn’t have anyone fishing it , I’m guessing it’s not as good as Harlaw although given the size of it there must be some big fish in there 

Yes, these prices are quite reasonable nowadays for a stocked rainbow water - the £10 evening permit is a bargain at this time of year.    From what I've heard, Harlaw was getting poached silly by (shall we say) "persons originating outside the UK" until recently - and this year they've had a wild (trash) camping problem, like lots of other places.

I don't think Threipmuir  gets stocked by Malleny AC - I think it's another AC who stock it with brown trout  a couple of times a year to supplement the wild stock. It doesn't get the same angling pressure as Threipmuir.    Both are lovely places for a walk though. 👍

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes, these prices are quite reasonable nowadays for a stocked rainbow water - the £10 evening permit is a bargain at this time of year.    From what I've heard, Harlaw was getting poached silly by (shall we say) "persons originating outside the UK" until recently - and this year they've had a wild (trash) camping problem, like lots of other places.

I don't think Threipmuir  gets stocked by Malleny AC - I think it's another AC who stock it with brown trout  a couple of times a year to supplement the wild stock. It doesn't get the same angling pressure as Threipmuir.    Both are lovely places for a walk though. 👍

You’re bang on about the wild camping 😡 the walks are superb up there too. 

• 5 months later...

Because of all the restrictions never got much chance to get out on the water last year unfortunately , here’s hoping this year we can all get out and stretch those lines 🤞

25 minutes ago, One five said:

Because of all the restrictions never got much chance to get out on the water last year unfortunately , here’s hoping this year we can all get out and stretch those lines 🤞

My local reservoir isn't opening at all this year, the lease holder gave up but an employee of his was set to take it over by United Utilities have decided to close it for a season, I'm ****ing gutted. 

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

My local reservoir isn't opening at all this year, the lease holder gave up but an employee of his was set to take it over by United Utilities have decided to close it for a season, I'm ****ing gutted. 

That’s not good mate what reservoir ?

12 minutes ago, One five said:

That’s not good mate what reservoir ?

Stocks Reservoir.

25 minutes from my front door, a big place that was fantastic top of the water fishing, I only own one line, a floater!! Dries, nymphs and emergers are always what I fish and Stocks was set out for that. 

Edited by Dawnrazor

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Stocks Reservoir.

25 minutes from my front door, a big place that was fantastic top of the water fishing, I only own one line, a floater!! Dries, nymphs and emergers are always what I fish and Stocks was set out for that. 

Ah mate hope it opens up for you guys there looks a great water would love to fish it sounds like my kinda place 🤞

12 minutes ago, One five said:

Ah mate hope it opens up for you guys there looks a great water would love to fish it sounds like my kinda place 🤞

Hopefully it'll open next season but I'll miss it this year, it's an hour and a half to any where near as good, there's a few small waters nearer but they're not my cup of tea.

Where's your regular place?

22 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Hopefully it'll open next season but I'll miss it this year, it's an hour and a half to any where near as good, there's a few small waters nearer but they're not my cup of tea.

Where's your regular place?

Fishing mostly rivers nowadays often go down to the tweed at gala when I can get away from my work early in the summer nights .I go up to lubnaig at Strathyre when I can get away for the weekend . Portmore was the place I went most when it was open to the public but it went private a few years ago and now from what I hear is mostly pike fishing it was a shame it was brilliant on the top of the water an hour before sun set especially end of august/September using daddy’s. just Had a fishing trip organised last year up to Durness with a few fishing buddies but gutted with lockdown ! Maybe this year 🤞

39 minutes ago, One five said:

Fishing mostly rivers nowadays often go down to the tweed at gala when I can get away from my work early in the summer nights .I go up to lubnaig at Strathyre when I can get away for the weekend . Portmore was the place I went most when it was open to the public but it went private a few years ago and now from what I hear is mostly pike fishing it was a shame it was brilliant on the top of the water an hour before sun set especially end of august/September using daddy’s. just Had a fishing trip organised last year up to Durness with a few fishing buddies but gutted with lockdown ! Maybe this year 🤞

Fingers crossed 🤞