Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

55 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Dikamona should have been kept on. He'd be a stand out in the championship and don't imagine he was on all that much money. 

I have a lot of respect for Dikamona. Wasn't utilised properly under Levein/McPhee and a solid defender if he's played in his natural position. Left as he didn't want to take the wage and wanted to be with his family through the virus. Already told Ann that if she wants him back he would be happy to do so. Considering how he was treated by certain individuals, that says a lot about his character. Could easily say "nah, get stuffed" after not getting many games. If Souttar leaves (and with his injury problems would that be so bad?) then Dikamona fits in fine as a right-sided central defender. Be great if we could get Dunne back though for the left-sided central defensive position.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

Rangers are yet to announce a deal with sports direct for pitchside towels. Could put a spanner in the Smith interest.

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Its noticeable when he doesn't play. 

Smith or Brandon,  not a tough call

I don't know like. We just finished in 12th place. Michael Smith played in about 90% of those games. 

Just now, KyleLafferty said:

Not arsed if Smith leaves, part of a team that’s been a massive failure the last 3 years.

Smith has suffered because he's been moved about from right-back, central defence and midfield.  He is Mr dependable and is an out and out right back. Smith was probably the most consistent player at the club throughout that time but had had too many non-triers playing alongside him. Can't really be blamed  the last three years when you see some of the failures we've had in maroon.

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

It could make him a little quicker, if he sheds a couple of pounds and as long as his positional sense improves, he doesn’t need to be lightning fast. Some of the best centrehalves in the game were not very quick, but they were always in the right place at the right time. (Caveat - not comparing on footballing ability 🙄) Cannavaro is the best example for me. He was ALWAYS in the right place at the right time, and this made up for the lack of pace as he got older. Davie Weir in his later years is another example.

He’s much slower than those two though, he will have obviously get better as he learns the game at CH (having been a striker) and won’t be playing such a high line. He has a fair way to go though to be at the level we need in the top league anyway. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If I were a Rangers fan and someone told me Michael Smith, who couldn't cross a ball to save his life, was Taveniers replacement, I'd be absolutely gutted. 

M. Smith is replaceable. His loss will be barely noticed. 

Depends. 

For most games tarveneir is more useful as rangers do the attacking. 

But defensively, tarveneir often ****s up, he does it a lot tbh. 

I would say overall I'd take Tavernier over Smith as he's a better attacking player and faster. 

Smith can also cover the centre df tho. 

Rangers could have both tho, Smith will be relatively cheap for them and is versatile. He's ideal bench material. 

They 2 as options is good for them, Smith replacing him not so much. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't know like. We just finished in 12th place. Michael Smith played in about 90% of those games. 

A pretty simplistic view. 

Good players do play in bad teams 

KyleLafferty
6 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Smith has suffered because he's been moved about from right-back, central defence and midfield.  He is Mr dependable and is an out and out right back. Smith was probably the most consistent player at the club throughout that time but had had too many non-triers playing alongside him. Can't really be blamed  the last three years when you see some of the failures we've had in maroon.

I’m gonna say that he’s probably played 90% of his games at right back mate. He hasn’t be shifted about like Eggert Jonnson was back in the day.

bajthejambo
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Liverpool signed Wijnaldum, Robertson and Shaqiri from relegated clubs.

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If I were a Rangers fan and someone told me Michael Smith, who couldn't cross a ball to save his life, was Taveniers replacement, I'd be absolutely gutted. 

M. Smith is replaceable. His loss will be barely noticed. 

Absolutely, on form Tavernier is their main creator and scores a few too. He’s ripped us apart a few times and needs someone to cover his runs. He is a poor defender though.
Smith is a good consistent, versatile player who has looked better than he is in the poor teams we’ve had recently. He would be a good squad player for the Rangers, i think Jon Flanagan is away.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Robbie has a big job on his hands to even get rid of the dead wood, who all have contracts and may sit on them if they can't find new clubs. I'm sure we will bring in 3/4 players but I expect its very much dependant on who we can get out 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, gov said:

Robbie has a big job on his hands to even get rid of the dead wood, who all have contracts and may sit on them if they can't find new clubs. I'm sure we will bring in 3/4 players but I expect its very much dependant on who we can get out 

Absolutely, especially in the current situation where clubs are cutting squads. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

If Smith moves to rangers I'll cry, need a name change as well. 

How about 'Gray's injury-time winner'.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, gov said:

Tbf, we got rid of a shed load and a few more will move one way or another as we are 8n the championship and both parties will be keen to depart company. 

The championship will be at its weakest, maybe ever (should be in our favour) so we don't need to spend loads to win it. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Depends. 

I would say overall I'd take Tavernier over Smith as he's a better attacking player and faster. 

Rangers could have both tho, Smith will be relatively cheap for them and is versatile. He's ideal bench material. 

Mate, James Tavenier assists about 10 goals a season and scores about that many from free kicks and penalties. If M. Smith could do that I doubt we'd be having this conversation. 

There's no danger Rangers want M. Smith when they have the likes of Flanagan as back up. 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

M. Smith is a solid pro who understands his position and who tries hard. Handy player to have, good attitude, good experience but his best games for us have been at Centerhalf. He is replaceable as a Midfielder and as a Full Back. 

Sean Clare offered more on the ball and in attack playing RB in that short spell than Smith's offered in about 4 seasons. 

18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Depends. 

This is one of those situations where a players worth is different to different teams. Smith is very useful to us but how much would a team pay for a Mr Reliable type guy? Whereas Tavernier probably has a much higher market value but he wouldn't bring enough to a team like Hearts to warrant the fee so in a weird way Smith is more valuable to use but Tavernier is more valuable to Rangers if that doesn't sound too daft! A higher level example is Fletcher at Man United, he made important contributions to the team but how much would a team like say Everton pay for him? 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

This is one of those situations where a players worth is different to different teams. Smith is very useful to us but how much would a team pay for a Mr Reliable type guy? Whereas Tavernier probably has a much higher market value but he wouldn't bring enough to a team like Hearts to warrant the fee so in a weird way Smith is more valuable to use but Tavernier is more valuable to Rangers if that doesn't sound too daft! A higher level example is Fletcher at Man United, he made important contributions to the team but how much would a team like say Everton pay for him? 

100% makes sense. 

It's a team game, a few Smith types would be ideal for us. 

All about the team dynamic, look at us, player for player quite strong but the team just never got it going. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Yeah, we need a guy like him in the heart of our defence. His experience is worth its weight in gold.

Correct. If we’re keeping him it needs to for a sweeper or holding midfield type role. He’s not much use as modern full back because he’s not got pace and his crossing is awful. Tavernier is a far more productive player. Defensively neither are brilliant in the wide area but Smith can play more central and be solid enough organiser. Sean Clare would be a closer comparison to Tavernier. Both good and productive in an attacking sense but prone to having a mare defensively.

Full backs are probably the most important position in the modern game. Get 2 quick ones intelligent enough to know where they need to be at all times and you can build your entire tactical approach around them. Pace and width on both sides. Teams hate playing against it.

Edited by JimmyCant

23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Mate, James Tavenier assists about 10 goals a season and scores about that many from free kicks and penalties. If M. Smith could do that I doubt we'd be having this conversation. 

There's no danger Rangers want M. Smith when they have the likes of Flanagan as back up. 

M. Smith is a solid pro who understands his position and who tries hard. Handy player to have, good attitude, good experience but his best games for us have been at Centerhalf. He is replaceable as a Midfielder and as a Full Back. 

Sean Clare offered more on the ball and in attack playing RB in that short spell than Smith's offered in about 4 seasons. 

I can't imagine Rangers are after Smith, but Flanagan was released.

He is also pish anyway.

Don't really see right back as a hugely important position. Y'know, in the same vein as having a good keeper, striker, CB pairing is. I think it speaks volumes that Rangers would rather sign a 31 year old RB than give a youngster a shot playing 2nd fiddle to Tavernier. 

53 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Rangers are yet to announce a deal with sports direct for pitchside towels. Could put a spanner in the Smith interest.

Quality

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Heard we’re after an Irish forward but has a bit of a playboy reputation.

Think it’s Shane Annigans?  Anyone else heard this?

Must be the same source I heard from . 

Also told me we are after an Irish mid who's ball control isn't the best and is a bit unpredictable Rick O'Shay 👍🏻

36 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Totally agree. First and foremost full backs are defenders but I fully believe they are an important cog when building play and attacking. Smith has always been quite weak in that respect.

In the past we used to have some great full back- winger/wide midfielder combinations but the full backs had that crucial attacking nous to link with the centre mids and work up the park with the man in front of them.  

But that’s the thing Neilson needs to look at too, a good, strong centre midfielder with good intelligence who finds that time and space to link and build with full backs.  You can even go back to the Championship season when we had Gomis and into the SPL thereafter.  We just seemed to find that wee bit extra time in possession to make it count and let players get forward.  

9 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Must be the same source I heard from . 

Also told me we are after an Irish mid who's ball control isn't the best and is a bit unpredictable Rick O'Shay 👍🏻

Better get that Hearts badge sewn onto the tricolour for next season. ::troll::

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

How about 'Gray's injury-time winner'.

Great minds, i was thinking Grays Golden Goal, triple G is huge tit after all.

Edited by Pasquale for King

johnthomas
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Its noticeable when he doesn't play. 

Smith or Brandon,  not a tough call

Bang on . Baffled that anyone who watches football can't see that

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Sean Clare leaked goals,  the greatest myth of last season 

Famous 1874

Smiths a good player but would not suit Rangers offensive full backs style. Will go down south imo 

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Sean Clare leaked goals,  the greatest myth of last season 

Also contributed more to our play than M. Smith. 

Sean Clare, 10 games at RB, 3 goals

M. Smith, 18 games at RB 1 goal & 2 assists

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Also contributed more to our play than M. Smith. 

Sean Clare, 10 games at RB, 3 goals

M. Smith, 18 games at RB 1 goal & 2 assists

And ripped to pieces at the back, red card etc etc etc.

A bit choosy with your evidence. 

I doubt Clare will ever play right back again,  Stendel had noticed 9

Clare needs to do a wee bit work on the defensive side but he needs to play RB (if he’s still here). He looked great coming forward from a deep position while he drifted out of games when played further up the park. Would be a waste not to play him RB.

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

And ripped to pieces at the back, red card etc etc etc.

A bit choosy with your evidence. 

I doubt Clare will ever play right back again,  Stendel had noticed 9

Not really. He had a number of excellent performances at RB. 

He was sent off taking one for the team because of Craig Halkett or Aberdeen would have probably scored. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Not really. He had a number of excellent performances at RB. 

He was sent off taking one for the team because of Craig Halkett or Aberdeen would have probably scored. 

He was no longer right back when the man who experimented with him there realised he was not very good at defending 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

He was no longer right back when the man who experimented with him there realised he was not very good at defending 

Stendel played Clare at Right Back because he wanted someone who would contribute to our play going forward. 

Don't get me wrong. I think Smith's decent. He's solid and his versatility is a big plus.

Personally I'd have played him at Centerhalf over Halkett last season because that laddie is absolutely honking. Smith is very good at Centerhalf because he reads the game well, the games in front of him and all he needs to do is defend, that's his strength. As a RB though, he's not up to much. 

SomethingAboutObua

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion and I'm going to trek through the thread to see,  but honestly if we could sell Souttar for a half decent fee and a sell on clause I'd be pretty happy. Injury nightmare and I thought he was pretty atrocious at too many points last season. Villa would be a good step up in the right direction for him as well.

Also would like to see Hickey go now for a fee to Man City than walk away a free agent to Celtic. 

Hickey and Souttar won't increase in value by playing a level below.

We should have a no-OF sale policy, get Smith to England seeing as he wants to retire to Bristol. Excellent player, but the fact once again we are talking about a RB as our best player and not a striker/winger/attacking midfielder tells you everything about where we are as a selling club.

Bring Dikamona back in, he wasn't as shite as many here like to think and I don't see why we should be paying for a top-4-top-flight level defender, when he'd be half the price and considerably better than most strikers in the Championship (no Shankland, likely no Nisbet to face either). Bring Dikamona back on the cheap, have youth defenders ready for the prem return.

11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Stendel played Clare at Right Back because he wanted someone who would contribute to our play going forward. 

Don't get me wrong. I think Smith's decent. He's solid and his versatility is a big plus.

Personally I'd have played him at Centerhalf over Halkett last season because that laddie is absolutely honking. Smith is very good at Centerhalf because he reads the game well, the games in front of him and all he needs to do is defend, that's his strength. As a RB though, he's not up to much. 

Agreed! Would never get a game for Rangers he looks decent for us but we were a bad team, he cannot cross the ball, should not be allowed over halfway line so in championship we are going to have to attack more so centre back only option for me.

Guest ToqueJambo
18 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

Between £1.35 & £2.05 Million depending on his progress.

We should be going for double that minimum.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

We should be going for double that minimum.

Double that minimum based on what ? 

Guest ToqueJambo
20 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Double that minimum based on what ? 

Based on the evidence that he's our and Scotland's best young prospect and that 2m is pennies to Man City. Liverpool paid 2-5m for 19 year old Danny Wilson after a handful of games. Bayern paid 15m for 17 year old Alphonso Davies from a Mickey Mouse league. We need to value our young players higher.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Based on the evidence that he's our and Scotland's best young prospect and that 2m is pennies to Man City. Liverpool paid 2-5m for 19 year old Danny Wilson after a handful of games. Bayern paid 15m for 17 year old Alphonso Davies from a Mickey Mouse league. We need to value our young players higher.

Got no chance of getting that for the lad after a few games in scotland with team who bottom of league , a get he's got potential but we ain't gonna be getting millions of pounds at this stage 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Danny Wilson was playing in the Rangers team that won the treble, was playing European Football and won young player of the year. 

Alphonso Davies was tearing the MLS to shreds at like 16-17 yr old, capped at full international level and clearly had the attributes to be top level. 

Aaron Hickey is playing for a team that just finished 12th in one of the worst leagues in Europe having won 4 games all season and has 1 year left on his contract. 

If true, £1-2m, a good sell on percentage and loaned back for a season or so is a fantastic piece of business for us. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Cruyff said:

Danny Wilson was playing in the Rangers team that won the treble, was playing European Football and won young player of the year. 

Alphonso Davies was tearing the MLS to shreds at like 16-17 yr old, capped at full international level and clearly had the attributes to be top level. 

Aaron Hickey is playing for a team that just finished 12th in one of the worst leagues in Europe having won 4 games all season and has 1 year left on his contract. 

If true, £1-2m, a good sell on percentage and loaned back for a season or so is a fantastic piece of business for us. 

Wilson played about 15 first team games. Hickey's an outstanding talent and we should value him accordingly. Makes no difference where we are in the league.

genuinely think Smith is our best centre half and would like him to stay in that position

Just now, BigAlim said:

genuinely think Smith is our best centre half and would like him to stay in that position

I like him there too.

Governor Tarkin
15 minutes ago, JKBMod 12 said:

Please stay on topic and lay off the insults. 

:(

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Better get that Hearts badge sewn onto the tricolour for next season. ::troll::

:seething:

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great minds, i was thinking **** ****** ****, ****** * is huge *** after all.

I've censored your post to avoid bother with the authorities, but great call! :lol:

Now on to important matters, when am I getting some crushed crisps and a shot at those malts, mate?