Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

Maroonblood22

If Robbie doesn't see him as part of his coaching setup then it could actually be seen as a very fair gesture from Hearts in trying to keep him involved with the club.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

He would have been the reserve team manager but as there’s no reserve team he’s been offered a full time job.

Also the ladies manager moved to rangers so has been redeployed. In the current climate not being made redundant is a result in itsef

Ibrahim Tall

Not sure why people are getting offended on Kirks behalf. :laugh:

Hes apparently been offered the senior management role of a senior team, that means he’ll be completely in charge of team and tactic selection in a competitive league. It’s a step up from coaching kids or reserved etc, other people might have their own agendas where it comes to Hearts/women’s football but the club dont. The job isn’t a ‘punishment’ or an insult.

If he wants to be a manager in the men’s game etc at some point it’s an excellent opportunity, the skills and experience needed and gained are easily transferable.

Years of misplaced loyalty and sentiment led us to the bottom of the league.

If Andy Kirk and Liam Fox aren’t wanted by the new head coach then tough shit. That’s football.

17 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Happy enough with Ross Stewart signing,a steady keeper in for understudy after the  Zlamal/Perreira/Doyle Axis of pish.:vrface:

Happy enough with him too. Think I mentioned him earlier in this thread as someone who could do a job. 

13 minutes ago, Danguar said:

Hearts have agreed a deal to sign Livingston goalkeeper Ross Stewart after Colin Doyle moved to Kilmarnock on loan.

Manager Robbie Neilson wants three keepers in his first-team squad and Stewart would compete with first-choice Craig Gordon and back-up Zdenek Zlamal.

The experienced Doyle moved to Rugby Park until January and a loan deal for Stewart would see him replace the Irishman in the Hearts squad.

Stewart, 25, is Livingston’s third-choice goalkeeper and has played only 12 times for the West Lothian club since arriving from St Mirren in 2018.

He spent time on loan at Queen of the South last season and previously played for Albion Rovers and Motherwell.

He is keen on a move to Tynecastle Park, which should be completed before the weekend.

Hope this isn't his LEE HOLLIS this time round

2 minutes ago, Whatever said:

If Andy Kirk and Liam Fox aren’t wanted by the new head coach then tough shit. That’s football.

Exactly. No point in paying wages out of sentiment when we're in the position we're in. Why have a Reserves Manager and Coach when there's no Reserves League? Hopefully get most of the young lads out on loan where they can get some game time. Perhaps promote a couple into the first team squad for backup - maybe getting the odd game off the bench now and then. 

20 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Huge insult for A day Kirk

Don't know. The club clearly want to keep him until the reserve teams are playing again and this would appear to be the only position available as the first team places are now filled. If they wanted rid they could just have sacked him along with Liam Fox.

Vlad the impaler

I get he’ll not play many,if any games but a third choice Livingston keeper is bizarre. Must be cheaper than Doyle but meh

1 minute ago, Vlad the impaler said:

I get he’ll not play many,if any games but a third choice Livingston keeper is bizarre. Must be cheaper than Doyle but meh

All that matters, is if he’s better than Doyle.

Leveins Battalion
5 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Zlamal will be away.

Someone on here did mention we were going to sign a scottish keeper that wasn't going to be overly exciting. 

Hopefully the next player in will be worth talking about. Ross Stewart will no doubt be limited to challenge cup games if that is going ahead this season. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire

This goalkeeping merry-go-round is a bit strange. If Kilmarnock wanted an on loan keeper, and Stewart is better than Doyle, why didn't they go for Stewart? And if Doyle is considered better than Stewart, why did we loan him out?

I realise there might be a bit more to it, perhaps Killie were unaware of Livingston's desire to offload Stewart, but surely they were aware that Doyle was third choice amongst the three worst keepers in last season's Premiership! Just seems strange and doesn't fill me with confidence that we've got the goalkeeper recruitment department improved (Gordon was a no-brainer once available).

4 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Im on this boat.

I really like kirk, but end of the day we have had the same base of coaches for too long that have not worked.  Neilson needs to be his own man and make the hard decisions.   

Stendelnator
59 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Like the sound of Stewart. QoS ain't a bad team and he'll be motivated, these are the type of signings that make a squad 

Queen of the South were a point away from being relegated to the third tier of Scottish football. What are you basing your assessment on?

3 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

Hickey to me could get homesick very quick as he is so young. Asking for game time, come off it.

Should stay with us just a bit longer and mature at his own pace and not thrust into an unknown world. Just my opinion.

He is in his last year contract wise,he needs to be sold very soon.

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

This goalkeeping merry-go-round is a bit strange. If Kilmarnock wanted an on loan keeper, and Stewart is better than Doyle, why didn't they go for Stewart? And if Doyle is considered better than Stewart, why did we loan him out?

I realise there might be a bit more to it, perhaps Killie were unaware of Livingston's desire to offload Stewart, but surely they were aware that Doyle was third choice amongst the three worst keepers in last season's Premiership! Just seems strange and doesn't fill me with confidence that we've got the goalkeeper recruitment department improved (Gordon was a no-brainer once available).

Just seems strange and doesn't fill me with confidence that we've got the goalkeeper recruitment department improved :cornette:

We have signed as good a goalkeeper as anything in Scottish Football,we have a highly rated young Keeper in Stone and are signing a 25 year old steady understudy.

Sounds alright to me.:facepalm:

BackOfTheNet

Anderson’s article implying we’ll be signing Stewart rather than getting in on loan. Had in my head we’d be loaning him. Assume Livi aren’t asking for a fee?

23 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hearts have agreed a deal to sign Livingston goalkeeper Ross Stewart after Colin Doyle moved to Kilmarnock on loan.

Manager Robbie Neilson wants three keepers in his first-team squad and Stewart would compete with first-choice Craig Gordon and back-up Zdenek Zlamal.

The experienced Doyle moved to Rugby Park until January and a loan deal for Stewart would see him replace the Irishman in the Hearts squad.

Stewart, 25, is Livingston’s third-choice goalkeeper and has played only 12 times for the West Lothian club since arriving from St Mirren in 2018.

He spent time on loan at Queen of the South last season and previously played for Albion Rovers and Motherwell.

He is keen on a move to Tynecastle Park, which should be completed before the weekend.

Hope this isn't his LEE HOLLIS this time round

So is this a permanent deal rather than a loan ?

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Like it. Not sure if Souttar ever looks that comfortable in a three though

I see it that way too. I'm not sure why though to be honest can't put my finger on it. Maybe because in a three he has to play the ball more quickly with less cover supporting him?

13 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Zlamal will be away.

Especially as it looks like he’s third choice now.

3 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

Hickey to me could get homesick very quick as he is so young. Asking for game time, come off it.

Should stay with us just a bit longer and mature at his own pace and not thrust into an unknown world. Just my opinion.

I don't know what his family do work wise but I would imagine that they would quite possibly move with him and have accommodation etc provided by the club to help with this scenario. Big clubs will know all about the problems that young players can face when a long way from home and family.

3 minutes ago, Jumper said:

I see it that way too. I'm not sure why though to be honest can't put my finger on it. Maybe because in a three he has to play the ball more quickly with less cover supporting him?

I think his reaction time is quite slow which is why he gets in bother.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

I think his reaction time is quite slow which is why he gets in bother.

We're saying the same thing except you put it more clearly than my drivel.:notworthy:

1 hour ago, Flimsy said:

I would like to know who decided to award Kirk, Gallacher, Brandon, Henderson and Moore new contracts. Surely not Daniel Stendel?

There was some chat about protecting the value of the players mentioned.  But who would want to sign them for cash in the current environment?

The Kirk and Gallacher contract extensions were also strange.  Hopefully JJ and RN are starting to clear all this sort of stuff up.

Jamboscanbevicius

Ross Stewart looks like a sensible choice to me. He knows he is coming in as a squad GK and at 25 he is happy to do so, moving to a bigger club and learning from someone like CG ahead of him. Getting him in potentially still allows us to offload Zlamal if anyone is interested. 

SuperstarSteve
17 minutes ago, ford donald said:

He is in his last year contract wise,he needs to be sold very soon.

Stone is also in his last year. I think he needs first team football. I expect ZZ to leave because if not stone being 4th choice in the championship is a weird one. 

Hamilton was more than good for this level. Stone should be back up to Gordon. 

We don't need to have goalkeepers with international experience and probably a six figure salary on the books as back up choices, even if we were still in the Premiership.

Stewart would seem on the face of it, a low cost option who has league experience and who wont threaten the long term game time prospects of Harry Stone.

I thought it was the Ross County forward for a minute there. He would have been a top signing.

I would think Bobby will almost certainly leave now.

1 hour ago, RickDeckard said:

Barry Anderson saying Connor Washington on verge of joining Charlton.

Good, another player not pulling his weight. Supposedly an international striker and scored a grand total 3 goals in 15 games, one of which a penalty.

I've got barely any sentiment with the team that got us relegated. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Just seems strange and doesn't fill me with confidence that we've got the goalkeeper recruitment department improved :cornette:

We have signed as good a goalkeeper as anything in Scottish Football,we have a highly rated young Keeper in Stone and are signing a 25 year old steady understudy.

Sounds alright to me.:facepalm:

Note what I said about Gordon, and we haven't just recruited Stone, who appears not to be in the first team picture at the moment or there'd be no Stewart signing. Can you explain why we would send our third choice keeper out on loan to replace him with Livingston's third choice keeper, one Kilmarnock were not interested in? I've no idea how good (or bad) Stewart might be, but his CV is worse than any of the three chocolate hands we had last season, leaving him not good enough to even warm the bench at Livingston. I'd be more confident in the reasoning if we'd signed a seasoned, last club before retiring, type keeper with a good CV to challenge Zlamal for second spot than someone already happy to move to remain third choice in a lower league.

Unless he proves his CV wrong, then, with the exception of the Gordon no-brainer,  he'll be the 4th questionable goalkeeper signing in two years. Is Robbie Neilson taking the same advice as Levein was?, is my point!

Hungry hippo
30 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Think we're simply cutting unnecessary costs on this one which is fair enough and leaves more of the limited budget for areas other than backup keepers.

SectionDJambo
41 minutes ago, David Black said:

Don't know. The club clearly want to keep him until the reserve teams are playing again and this would appear to be the only position available as the first team places are now filled. If they wanted rid they could just have sacked him along with Liam Fox.

I agree with you.

Maybe he would rather be in full control of his own project, meantime, until the reserve team has meaningful fixtures again. Hearts seem to rate him, and would rather not lose him, but circumstances have caused a change to the previous plan, for now.

Only Robbie and Andy Kirk will know for sure.

Hungry hippo
Just now, Ferryjambo99 said:

Loan until January. Stone having minor surgery. Common sense move 

Yeah, seems like he is simply covering for Stone temporarily. 

David McCaig
8 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Good, another player not pulling his weight. Supposedly an international striker and scored a grand total 3 goals in 15 games, one of which a penalty.

I've got barely any sentiment with the team that got us relegated. 

A bit harsh on Washington.

He is clearly a good player, but he excels in playing in sides who counter attack, whereas Hearts are a side who will generally dominate possession in most of the matches that they play.

2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

A bit harsh on Washington.

He is clearly a good player, but he excels in playing in sides who counter attack, whereas Hearts are a side who will generally dominate possession in most of the matches that they play.

He always looked scared to actually take a shot in my opinion. The only reason he scored against the hobos was because he was forced to shoot, otherwise he would have passed it. 

For the amount of money he was likely on we could get better.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
5 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Think we're simply cutting unnecessary costs on this one which is fair enough and leaves more of the limited budget for areas other than backup keepers.

Are you sure he's cheaper, or is that the only thing that makes sense to you in this signing? And why would Kilmarnock prefer the third choice keep from the three worst Premiership keepers of last season when, with a little effort, they could have signed Stewart, unless they think Doyle is better than him? He'd have been just as cheap for them as he is for us, too. 

Of course, hopefully I am totally wrong, and he turns out to be better than Zlamal (who might be leaving, I don't know) and it's Kilmarnock (and Livingston) who've messed up, but with three of our last four keeper signings being disasters, I'm none too confident over this one and would have preferred to have seen us sign a known to be good, aging keeper as back up until Harry Stone is ready to take his place on the bench (assuming Stone is destined to be the keeper many think he will be).

5 minutes ago, Sertse said:

He always looked scared to actually take a shot in my opinion. The only reason he scored against the hobos was because he was forced to shoot, otherwise he would have passed it. 

I agree he worked hard and ran about a lot but was never going to score many goals. His departure will free up some money to strengthen other areas as he would no doubt be on a decent wage.

6 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Are you sure he's cheaper, or is that the only thing that makes sense to you in this signing? And why would Kilmarnock prefer the third choice keep from the three worst Premiership keepers of last season when, with a little effort, they could have signed Stewart, unless they think Doyle is better than him? He'd have been just as cheap for them as he is for us, too. 

Of course, hopefully I am totally wrong, and he turns out to be better than Zlamal (who might be leaving, I don't know) and it's Kilmarnock (and Livingston) who've messed up, but with three of our last four keeper signings being disasters, I'm none too confident over this one and would have preferred to have seen us sign a known to be good, aging keeper as back up until Harry Stone is ready to take his place on the bench (assuming Stone is destined to be the keeper many think he will be).

Chris Burke played with Doyle at Birmingham City and perhaps that has something to do with his move.

24 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Loan until January. Stone having minor surgery. Common sense move 

All makes sense now!

I think it was more that Kilmarnock were looking for a keeper with experience to play back up, which is what Doyle is. we have taken Stewart, who is younger and not as experienced, to play back up to 2 experienced keepers.

Killin were looking for something that we weren't - experience

8 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

He's cheap temporary cover as 3rd choice keeper who in all likelyhood will not actually play, he doesn't need to be Yashin.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
6 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I think it was Malcom Macdonald who's autobiography was called 'Never Afraid to Miss' which, to me, has always summed up the most important quality in a centre forward. Too many look to pass rather than to take the responsibility of shooting, and perhaps missing. The great, sadly died too young, Duncan Edwards reportedly said, when asked about being considered 'greedy', that if he was in the box, with the ball at his feet, not only was he the most likely player to score (because he knew he was that good), if he passed, two things had to happen: his pass had to be good, and his teammate had to shoot better than he could. I'd be surprised if Robbo didn't have a similar mindset, and Washington's definitely no Robbo.

The point you make re him being forced to shoot is a good one, too. It was a cracking goal, and showed his value when running with the ball, but if he'd missed, no one would have blamed him, which is a great encouragement for a striker who is, on the face of it, afraid to shoot.

David McCaig
20 minutes ago, Sertse said:

No doubt that for the money we can get someone much better suited to playing for Hearts.

Maybe Ross Stewart just really ****ing hates Killie?

Or, he was offered the Killie job but fancies staying in Livingston or Edinburgh?

Edited by Lovecraft