Impending Redundancy - Career change?

RoyCropper

RoyCropper

Highly likely I'm going to be made redundant next month. 15 years experience as an electrician but feel abit scunnered with the construction industry. Has anyone recently retrained or had a career change? Struggling to think of anything that's peaking my interest with my current skillset. I obviously understand there might be short term financial sacrifice to retrain but I think now might be the time to do it otherwise I'm stuck working in a job I don't particularly  like for the rest of my days.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"Piquing" my interest. 3rd person this week. :laugh2:

Yes. I was a Tradie also, for 12 years. Then went to Uni to get an honours degree. 

Although, if I had been smart enough at 16 to be a sparky, drive into sites in my Aston Martin, never having to do real work, lift anything heavier than a cable reel or even get dirty for £26 squid an hour, I wouldn't have bothered. :biggrin: 

You should do what makes you happy mate. Short term sacrifice for long term gain. Being a Tradie is stressful. The jobs are monotonous. Same shit, different day. I totally understand.

Uni or further education isn't the way for everyone but it's an option. 

Being a Sparky is a good background though. You could be an NHBC Building Inspector, a Chartered Surveyor, an Engineer, a Lecturer, you could work abroad... Plenty avenues for you where your skills are relevant and transferable. 

Or maybe you fancy becoming a florist, an artist, a musician or a funeral director if you're a feckin ghoul. 🤷

I'd say do what makes you happy. Don't do something you hate and get out while you're young enough. 👍 

3 hours ago, RoyCropper said:

Highly likely I'm going to be made redundant next month. 15 years experience as an electrician but feel abit scunnered with the construction industry. Has anyone recently retrained or had a career change? Struggling to think of anything that's peaking my interest with my current skillset. I obviously understand there might be short term financial sacrifice to retrain but I think now might be the time to do it otherwise I'm stuck working in a job I don't particularly  like for the rest of my days.

You could still work with your trade but in a different sphere. In a manufacturing plant for example?

4 hours ago, RoyCropper said:

Railway.With your trade you could be a fitter.

Getting in is the hard bit though.

Polis. No two days are the same and you get 50% off at Domino's with your warrant card. Downsides. The rest of the world hates you. But they can swivel 🖕

Edited by EH11_2NL

3 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Polis. No two days are the same and you get 50% off at Domino's with your warrant card. Downsides. The rest of the world hates you. But they can swivel 🖕

My son has an eye on the police when he leaves school in a couple of years, I'd be happy if he does.

9 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Was gonna suggest this. If it floats yer boat. I left my old job at 38 and only, very occasionally regret it 😀

Samuel Camazzola
19 hours ago, RoyCropper said:

A guy I went to school with was an electrician for several years. Like you, got fed up. He paid for a diving course where he has combined the qualification with his trade to do underwater work which seems to be very lucrative and provides travel opportunities. 

Like the other mention, Network Rail frequently advertise various roles with local locations such as South Gyle, Haymarket, Newcraighall etc often quoted. 

John Findlay
18 hours ago, benny said:

Railway.With your trade you could be a fitter.

Getting in is the hard bit though.

Been in the railway 15 years after getting laid off by IBM as a senior batch analyst.

Totally different skill set as trained by Scotrail as both a booking office clerk and train dispatcher. Havent looked back to be honest. The railway is imho a very decent employer, good pay, good perks and a good pension.

Auld Reekin'
5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

A guy I went to school with was an electrician for several years. Like you, got fed up. He paid for a diving course where he has combined the qualification with his trade to do underwater work which seems to be very lucrative and provides travel opportunities. 

Like the other mention, Network Rail frequently advertise various roles with local locations such as South Gyle, Haymarket, Newcraighall etc often quoted. 

Underwater electrician, eh...?!?!?!?   :arry:   Hope he's getting well paid: sounds a bit risky to me!  :scared:  :whistling:  

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Underwater electrician, eh...?!?!?!?   :arry:   Hope he's getting well paid: sounds a bit risky to me!  :scared:  :whistling:  

I know, sounds like a shocking career choice

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Been in the railway 15 years after getting laid off by IBM as a senior batch analyst.

Totally different skill set as trained by Scotrail as both a booking office clerk and train dispatcher. Havent looked back to be honest. The railway is imho a very decent employer, good pay, good perks and a good pension.

I'm in the Traincare section.

Best move i made from being in Carron Foundry and the electronics industry Sunmicro through Manpower.

17 years now,time flies.This virus has made me appreciate my job even more.

I got in by an advert in the Sunday Mail,sat a test and then had an interview.

Don't know if i would get in now due to the online process.

On 03/07/2020 at 12:38, RoyCropper said:

On the railway front.

Try for any job in the railway.Once your in you can apply for jobs that meet your preference later..

Edited by benny

John Findlay
43 minutes ago, benny said:

I'm in the Traincare section.

Best move i made from being in Carron Foundry and the electronics industry Sunmicro through Manpower.

17 years now,time flies.This virus has made me appreciate my job even more.

I got in by an advert in the Sunday Mail,sat a test and then had an interview.

Don't know if i would get in now due to the online process.

Mine was via an advert in the Edinburgh Evening news. I sat test(s) too. Not a fan of the online way of things nowadays.

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That’s interesting. My grandson is a qualified scuba diver and at the moment an apprentice electrician.

He’s considering doing that work but apparently the course to be a commercial diver costs about £12,000 and upwards.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s interesting. My grandson is a qualified scuba diver and at the moment an apprentice electrician.

He’s considering doing that work but apparently the course to be a commercial diver costs about £12,000 and upwards.

Join the Navy and volunteer to be a diver. Get trained, get paid for it and earn extra money once qualified.

Leave the Navy and bring your qualifications with you.

Marty Byrde
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I reckon 1 in a 1000 get a job after the course.Probably 1 in 10000 to make a career from it.

The glory days of diving from the platform itself, drilling rigs before ROVs took the work and big watches are LONG gone.

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Join the Navy and volunteer to be a diver. Get trained, get paid for it and earn extra money once qualified.

Leave the Navy and bring your qualifications with you.

That’s certainly a great opportunity.

I will actually mention that to him.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

I reckon 1 in a 1000 get a job after the course.Probably 1 in 10000 to make a career from it.

The glory days of diving from the platform itself, drilling rigs before ROVs took the work and big watches are LONG gone.

These odds aren’t very good.

John Findlay’s suggestion is looking the better option at this stage.

Ainsley Harriott

I always wanted to do one of those jobs where you take additional needs people for days out and to the shops etc but dont think they pay well. Must be rewarding though.

24 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I always wanted to do one of those jobs where you take additional needs people for days out and to the shops etc but dont think they pay well. Must be rewarding though.

I done that, its ****ing brutal, You get treated like shit for no even a grand a month, I nearly doubled my wage driving a bus.

Greedy Jambo

I think there will be a tonne of redundancies at the end of the month when companies are expected to contribute to furlough pay, 

Some will be expected and some people will be in for a shock. My situation is about 50/50. 

Career change? Pffft, nae idea. 

I tried to change career by doing a degree and post grad diploma (Sport and exercise science and clinical exercise science respectively). 

I've, seen 3 jobs in Scotland in last 2 years since graduating pg dip and the sector is really difficult to get into. 

Covid19 forced me to move from private hire as arse fell out of it. 

I'm now working for an agency in a, warehouse in livingston. Minimum wage but I've lost 3st in 13 weeks so every cloud and, all that! 

Had a video interview for network rail weeks ago, failed it. Not looked since but am going to restart the job search again, maybe tonight. 

Greedy Jambo
6 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I tried to change career by doing a degree and post grad diploma (Sport and exercise science and clinical exercise science respectively). 

I've, seen 3 jobs in Scotland in last 2 years since graduating pg dip and the sector is really difficult to get into. 

I'm now working for an agency in a, warehouse in livingston. Minimum wage but I've lost 3st in 13 weeks so every cloud and, all that! 

Had a video interview for network rail weeks ago, failed it. Not looked since but am going to restart the job search again, maybe tonight. 

I've got bad memories of doing the same. 12 hour shifts, constantly on your feet. I couldn't do that again.

If you've got qualifications in sport and exercise you really need to make use of them, or it was a waste of time, no?

4 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

I've got bad memories of doing the same. 12 hour shifts, constantly on your feet. I couldn't do that again.

If you've got qualifications in sport and exercise you really need to make use of them, or it was a waste of time, no?

Feet are agony constantly. 

To use my quals I'll need to go self employed as there is f all at the moment. Wife won't move to Australia, shame as there's huge demand over there for my quals. 

Recently started to think I've wasted 5 years... 

I can't argue with the railway suggestion. I started work at 13:58 today and I was in the bookies by 15:40. Home by 17:00 🤣

Edited by IronJambo

Ainsley Harriott
43 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I done that, its ****ing brutal, You get treated like shit for no even a grand a month, I nearly doubled my wage driving a bus.

Maybe pass on that one then.

Greedy Jambo
18 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

To use my quals I'll need to go self employed as there is f all at the moment. Wife won't move to Australia, shame as there's huge demand over there for my quals. 

Someone recommended these to me a couple of weeks ago, he says they feel like walking on pillows

https://www.adidas.co.uk/sensebounce+-street-shoes/G27272.html?cm_mmc=AdieSEM_PLA_Google-_-GS-OPT-UK-Categories-Branded-_-BRANDED - outlet-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&cm_mmca1=UK&cm_mmca2=&ds_agid=58700003062082625&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0YD4BRD2ARIsAHwmKVmPpQcLooeNK50CDE449nnXeI-Qrihn3mqFYI_dWemF42-Kc31q1xwaAvI8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unknown user
33 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

It's tough times but things change, at least you're tooled up for when the opportunity arises.

I'm in logistics too, its tough on the feet especially when you work on a concrete floor.

These are essential for me along with walking shoes, I replace them every 3 months or so

https://www.scholl.co.uk/products/scholl-gelactiv-insoles-work-men?variant=13686238838849

Bull's-eye

Marry a rich bursd and ponce off her for the rest of your days.

Most fulfilling.

Greedy Jambo
14 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Most fulfilling.

You talking from experience? and any chance you could adopt me? 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I can't argue with the railway suggestion. I started work at 13:58 today and I was in the bookies by 15:40. Home by 17:00 🤣

Incognito doing the bookies rounds again? How many Gs did you walk away with this time? 

The White Cockade

Got made redundant in April after 39 years in IT

Took the only job I could get which is stacking shelves and till work at the Co Op

£60 grand a year to £9 an hour

You know what? 
Getting out a desk job in an office and escaping the stress had been great 

Lost a stone in two months 

Plus a few pounds from the wallet obviously 😂

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Got made redundant in April after 39 years in IT

Took the only job I could get which is stacking shelves and till work at the Co Op

£60 grand a year to £9 an hour

You know what? 
Getting out a desk job in an office and escaping the stress had been great 

Lost a stone in two months 

Plus a few pounds from the wallet obviously 😂

I don't think I could go back to an office job either, life's just too short for that nonsense.

10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Incognito doing the bookies rounds again? How many Gs did you walk away with this time? 

My bookie bets literally won £2k yesterday which is a pain in the ass. The truth of that though is I made a very average qualifying loss of £15. Monday is payday, I'll be able to make a bit over £400 between trains in Gloucester and in Reading. Should profit £350'ish for the week. It's been a nice few weeks since the bookies reopened 😁

Harry Potter
On 03/07/2020 at 12:38, RoyCropper said:

If your under 40 might have a chance im 60 now and wont be working soon.

Jobs are scarce just now.

16 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

That’s what Mrs Ribble does but the majority of the time is sat in the persons house watching shite telly, days out are few and far between and sometimes never depending on the client. Pay isn’t great but better than most in the service/hospitality industry, she’s working today and Sunday rate is £13 an hour

16 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Out of interest what type of job were you looking for with the Sports Science degree?

13 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Out of interest what type of job were you looking for with the Sports Science degree?

Something in professional sport but so we're 23000 other graduates.. That's, why I went down the clinical route was wanting something in rehab for cancer/stroke patients. Even health screening and wellbeing advice. Like I said though only seen 3 jobs in Scotland in the 2 years since graduating pg dip. 

15 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's tough times but things change, at least you're tooled up for when the opportunity arises.

I'm in logistics too, its tough on the feet especially when you work on a concrete floor.

These are essential for me along with walking shoes, I replace them every 3 months or so

https://www.scholl.co.uk/products/scholl-gelactiv-insoles-work-men?variant=13686238838849

I'm going to get insoles as the safety boots are crap. 

6 hours ago, Ribble said:

That’s what Mrs Ribble does but the majority of the time is sat in the persons house watching shite telly, days out are few and far between and sometimes never depending on the client. Pay isn’t great but better than most in the service/hospitality industry, she’s working today and Sunday rate is £13 an hour

Most places you don't get a sunday/bank holiday rate, you'll be lucky to get 9quid a hour.

23 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Most fulfilling.

This is definitely a top top idea.

Let the woman be the main breadwinner.