Sparks - A Steady Drip,Drip,Drip

12XU

image.jpeg.416f40a279b3b273131919eaa4abe977.jpeg

It's finally here! The new Sparks album 'A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip' is released in all its glory.

Following the digital release in May, the album is now available on CD, deluxe CD (book edition), double black vinyl, double coloured vinyl, double picture disc and cassette.

With A STEADY DRIP, DRIP, DRIP, Sparks have drawn on the many styles and many great moments in a multi-faceted career that began in their native Los Angeles in 1967, while retaining the unique identity. Whatever style they embrace, and they have embraced most – pop, rock, New Wave, synth-pop, disco, dance, electro, orchestral, opera – they always remain ineffably, irrefutably, inescapably, undeniably Sparks.” LouderThanWar

“No band should by rights sound as sharp, melodic and funny more than 50 years into their career. But Sparks are no ordinary band.” – Q

Sparks remain deftly untouchable” 9/10 LineofBestFit
“a work of genius” 9/10 Clash
"The Picassos of art rock." Associated Press
“A masterclass” Northern Transmissions
“They’ve done it again” ***** Record Collector
“Sparks. Only Sparks.” **** FT
Uncut 9/10 Mojo **** Q **** The Times **** Independent **** Daily Mirror **** Daily Telegraph ****

23 hours ago, frankblack said:

Are you getting paid to promote their music,@12XU?

Lol - no I don’t get paid

Just trying to make sure they get as much exposure as they can - a lot of excellent music that people miss as its not mainstream - seen Sparks 36 times live since Caird Hall in 1974 ( support band that night was Pilot )

frankblack
47 minutes ago, 12XU said:

Just trying to make sure they get as much exposure as they can - a lot of excellent music that people miss as its not mainstream - seen Sparks 36 times live since Caird Hall in 1974 ( support band that night was Pilot )

Fair enough.  I do own a couple of Sparks records including the recent greatest hits.

I have seen some bands like the Manics probably more than 36 times.  I have honestly lost count.

Midweek album chart

new entry at No 4 

Hopefully still in top 10 come the official charts later this week 

On 04/07/2020 at 00:10, 12XU said:

A mind blowing  video to go with another track 

Cool video - Cyriak is brilliant. Terrible music though. 

As far as sparks go, before this thread I'd only ever heard 'This Town isn't Big Enough' in the 70s, which I quite like. I don't like any of this stuff though, it's as if there is something missing, but I can't put my finger on what. Love that video though. 

Салатные палочки
On 04/07/2020 at 00:10, 12XU said:

A mind blowing  video to go with another track 

The start of that sounds and looks like the intro to some late Friday night, mid-noughties quiz show. I like some Sparks songs, not that though.

Might check out more of their earlier stuff as I like Beat the Clock and The Number One Song on Heaven. 

• 10 months later...

New single released in collaboration with Todd Rundgren, who produced their debut album 50 years ago.  I think Russell Mael said in an interview that there was no way they were going to leave it for more than 50 years before teaming up with Todd again.

On 05/07/2020 at 10:54, 12XU said:

Good on you 12XU, I'm a huge Sparks fan.  First exposure to them was as a kid when This Town and Amateur Hour etc were making the UK charts.  They fell off my radar after punk rock broke, but I rediscovered them in the mid-90s through a couple of compilations and the Gratuitous Sax album, and was compelled to obtain their entire back catalogue and everything they've done since.  One of my big regrets is that I wasn't in a position to attend their 21 date tour in London to commemorate the release of their 21st album, when they played an entire album each night.

I always knew you had great musical taste from your user name, Wire is my favourite band of all time.  I've always loved bands that were a bit left field, but capable of producing great pop songs when the mood took them.  Devo are another of my favourites.

Love them. 

Saw them in Leeds a couple of years back touring for Hippopotamus. It was first time they Leeds since ‘74.

It was an amazing show and comfortably in my top 10 all time gigs. 

Looking forward to watching the documentary. 

scott herbertson
9 hours ago, RobNox said:

Good on you 12XU, I'm a huge Sparks fan.  First exposure to them was as a kid when This Town and Amateur Hour etc were making the UK charts.  They fell off my radar after punk rock broke, but I rediscovered them in the mid-90s through a couple of compilations and the Gratuitous Sax album, and was compelled to obtain their entire back catalogue and everything they've done since.  One of my big regrets is that I wasn't in a position to attend their 21 date tour in London to commemorate the release of their 21st album, when they played an entire album each night.

I always knew you had great musical taste from your user name, Wire is my favourite band of all time.  I've always loved bands that were a bit left field, but capable of producing great pop songs when the mood took them.  Devo are another of my favourites.

Count me in on the Wire front. Not so keen on Sparks though IO was blown away by 'This Town' which was tremendously innovative in its day . I attended a very posh party (unusually as i had  a mate who went out for a while with a posh girl) at a big house when that singlwe came out and they had a quadrophenic system (the rage at the time and incredibly expensive). It sounded fantastic on that, I remember.

Devo were fun too

For leftfield  the Tubes were right up there