Smelly Washing machine

Hairdryer

My washing machine is smelling I have tried everything to get rid of the stink.someone told me that dishwasher tablets are good for cleaning the machine has anyone tried it as I don’t want to ruin the machine.

ta very much.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Mrs Dawnrazor says Calgon or Lemon juice and baking soda.

I use Calgon, and they help with the build up of limescale.

2 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

My washing machine is smelling I have tried everything to get rid of the stink.someone told me that dishwasher tablets are good for cleaning the machine has anyone tried it as I don’t want to ruin the machine.

ta very much.

it’s bacteria caused by low temperature washes with non bio detergent. 
splash of bleach  and a hot as it will go wash performed regularly will help 

Rubber gloves on, j-cloth wrapped around a finger, neat bleach on j-cloth, run finger all round the rubber door gasket, get right in there and scoop out all the gunk while you're there.

White vinegar in the soap tray, run machine as hot as it will go.

Then run it again but with a fair bit of bicarb in the drum.

You can also take out and clean the water filter at the bottom of the machine, it should be easy to find behind a wee flap at the front.

Dagger Is Back
10 minutes ago, Cade said:

Rubber gloves on, j-cloth wrapped around a finger, neat bleach on j-cloth, run finger all round the rubber door gasket, get right in there and scoop out all the gunk while you're there.

You can also take out and clean the water filter at the bottom of the machine, it should be easy to find behind a wee flap at the front.

1 minute ago, Jambomb said:

Check the drain, and don’t forget to leave the door open after washes

These have both worked for us

39 minutes ago, Cade said:

This is the correct answer. It’s mould/mildew in the folds of the rubber door seal usually.

Thanks for the advice,it appears a problem with washing machines used at a lower temperature 

I will give it a service wash which runs at 90 degrees and add some dettol

Fluorescent Adolescent

As with the suggestions above, be sure to clean the filter regularly. It’s a pretty important  part of keeping any appliance running as it should.

Edited by Fluorescent Adolescent

Once a week, we put on a white load with a few tablespoons of Vanish through it, and a wee cup of a disinfectant called Bio +.

Machine smells grand afterwards, and the whites are pristine.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

Once a week, we put on a white load with a few tablespoons of Vanish through it, and a wee cup of a disinfectant called Bio +.

Machine smells grand afterwards, and the whites are pristine.

Is that your weekly wash of your linen shirts and troosers? Keeping you looking sharp as you strut the Cote d'Azur looking like the man from Del Monte? 😄 

manaliveits105
11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is that your weekly wash of your linen shirts and troosers? Keeping you looking sharp as you strut the Cote d'Azur looking like the man from Del Monte? 😄 

He says YES 

Harry Potter
14 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

ta very much.

90 C wash every 3 weeks or so with a washing machine cleaning agent that cost about 1 pound a sachet, 

problem these days is that 30/40 C washes do not disperse all the washing liquid all powder and build up on the drum.

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

This is exactly the image I had when I read Morgan's post too. :D

Samuel Camazzola
43 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

👍 😄

4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Suntan oil stains must be a bugger to get out off the white speedos.

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I can imagine - that's why I go dark. 

Sun tan oil doesn't show on a maroon Speedo! 😄 

vladimator

Soda crystals. Available in supermarkets. Put them where the powder goes and some inside. Couple of high washes. Then go back to powder as it rinses the pipes continually. Had problem for months and a repair man came out and told me this. No further problems.

Greedy Jambo

You can buy special pouches to put in the washing machine, you put it on full heat for the maximum time with nothing else in it. 

Apparently pouring half a cup of salt down your plug hole can help if there's stink coming out of there as well. 

12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

11 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

He says YES 

8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I can imagine - that's why I go dark. 

Sun tan oil doesn't show on a maroon Speedo! 😄 

:verysmug:

Try adding some Christian Dior Eau Sauvage to your wash.  It works for me, my clothes and my washing machine smell gorgeous!

15 hours ago, RobNox said:

Try adding some Christian Dior Eau Sauvage to your wash.  It works for me, my clothes and my washing machine smell gorgeous!

Can I come round and wash my clothes in your machine🤣

One other thing you can do to help is to leave the door open after a wash so the drum dries out.

Shutting the door after emptying the machine just keeps it damp and humid, an ideal condition for growing stinky bacteria.

18 hours ago, RobNox said:

30EC1B3A-D71A-487E-9299-F8181928C907.jpeg

3 hours ago, Crete said:

Can I come round and wash my clothes in your machine🤣

I hope that's not a euphemism 😮

It's in the rubber seal on the door if you clean that out with vinegar then buy 

clean & shine washing machine cleaner ( pound shop) and use that .

Do you use washing liquid if so it would be a good idea to change to powder 

for some reason the wife says since she changed From liquid the machine does not smell

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

A white load eh ? 

:oohmatron:

It’s easier than snapping the sheets, mon ami.

:cornette:

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Or using a chisel......

:vrface:

It’s a chisel, or a diamond cutter, that caused the damn mess in the first place....

:facepalm:

On 03/07/2020 at 09:34, hughesie27 said:

Probably the rubber ring around the door. 

Yep. I use the wet floor wipes (Asda and get them in the rubber seal bit and wipe clean. Amazing the crap that comes out and usually do this once a week.  Mind our machines on a lot with kids etc . Also as suggested always leave door open after washes. 

Edited by 1971fozzy