Wigan go into administration

CJGJ

Heartsmad1874

Can they be deducted points etc right now or have the rules been adjusted during this pandemic?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Karma for Webstergate.

That's what happens when you do sneaky deals with ye olde Rangers.

8 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

house of cards

This.

Only a matter of time before the next one is announced.

7 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Can they be deducted points etc right now or have the rules been adjusted during this pandemic?

According to BBC they will be deducted 12 points, putting them right in the relegation zone.

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Karma for Webstergate.

Aye, Sevco can help save them.  They helped Sevco.

9 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

we could replace them?    body not even cold yet

Please

The entire "pyramid" in both England and Scotland is a joke.

Outside the top two leagues in each nation it's rotten to the core and totally unsustainable.

There will be dozens of clubs disappearing in the next year or so.

jamboinglasgow

I do think the financial impact of Covid19 on clubs is not a sudden impact but a rising flood. Clubs will get overwhelmed and go into admin. As others have said, they wont be the only club to go into admin because this, on both sides of the border.

4 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Any players we could pinch?

My thought exactly. Maybe a few decent players to scout. Although I'm sure John Murray will have sent an email asking the administrator who is a good player already.

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, HMFSee said:

My thought exactly. Maybe a few decent players to scout. Although I'm sure John Murray will have sent an email asking the administrator who is a good player already.

Haha is Murray still with us? Possibly the laziest head of recruitment you could imagine

Wigan is an interesting one, the area is not renowned for an interest in football, it is much more a Rugby League town. The average attendance at Wigan football matches is below 12,000. They punched above their weight due to direct investment from their owner, and much like Gretna back in the early part of the century, have no long term sustainability due to a lack of fan base.

Good . Hated them since Webster . Horrible Rangers arse licking dirty sneaky bassas . Hope they suffer and slide down the leagues .

Hope the survive though . No fans should lose their team . After our administration I would wish that fate on no one .

Dallas Green
28 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Dave Whelan just been told on Talksport and is going to try and help

I thought his family and himself had total control of the club anyway?

Edited by Dallas Green

27 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Karma for Webstergate.

My thoughts too.....

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Irony is they were getting ti safety after 3 wins in a row 

They must’ve had an inkling about the trouble they were in, they will probably stay up but after that who knows.  

Bongo 1874
25 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Any players we could pinch?

32 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ciao Wigan. 

Any decent freebies to be had? 

If any of you want to pass on my details to Ann, I will happily do John Murrays job for less money 😂😉

Dallas Green
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Edit: Just checked. He was 23...so not too far away. And it was as Chairman.

Which is worse.

Christ. 

No wonder they are humped.

40 minutes ago, leipzig76 said:

According to BBC they will be deducted 12 points, putting them right in the relegation zone.

A different take

Wonder if they've been paying average players £20,000 or so a week.  That's the general impression I get of the top two leagues in England.  Won't lose a wink of sleep if several go the same way.

Салатные палочки

Fingers crossed it's Hibs next 🙏 

15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They must’ve had an inkling about the trouble they were in, they will probably stay up but after that who knows.  

Probably but might point was also - imagining facing relegation with games to go and suddenly win three games and find yourself in a different position. Who would have thunk it?

39 minutes ago, Cade said:

The entire "pyramid" in both England and Scotland is a joke.

Outside the top two leagues in each nation it's rotten to the core and totally unsustainable.

There will be dozens of clubs disappearing in the next year or so.

Are Wigan not in the championship ie top two leagues?

Wigan currently 8 points ahead of relegation positions. 

Actually top of the form table last 15 games. They should be okay. 

SM Sheffield

Wigan were taken over what 3-4 months ago? Makes a mockery of the fit and proper leadership test the football league do.

I've heard Bristol City are in trouble too. There could be a few of these events happening soon

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

A different take

I suppose that rule is probably to stop teams in a relegation place from tactically calling in the administrators in order to start next season with a clean slate but it does seem harsh that the rules change specifically to make sure that the club receives the punishment at the most damaging time. 

jock _turd
Just now, Anything2 said:

I suppose that rule is probably to stop teams in a relegation place from tactically calling in the administrators in order to start next season with a clean slate but it does seem harsh that the rules change specifically to make sure that the club receives the punishment at the most damaging time. 

Almost but not nearly as bad as being voted down with eight game still to play when only four points adrift?

2 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Almost but not nearly as bad as being voted down with eight game still to play when only four points adrift?

Well yes that is just bat shit crazy, what league would even consider doing that.... But the Admin stuff would be tough to take if you fought and earned your survival then they say well done guys we've decided to bring forward your points deduction to make sure you get relegated anyway! Still they could have had a 15 point deduction and a transfer embargo to punish them twice while other teams in their league still haven't paid their footballing debts from their own administration. 

Wigan Athletic have gone into administration, becoming the first English professional club to do so since the coronavirus pandemic began.

The English Football League has said Wigan will be deducted 12 points.

The sanction will be applied at the end of this season if the Latics, 14th in the Championship, finish outside the bottom three after 46 games.

Should Wigan finish in the relegation zone, the penalty will be applied during the 2020-21 season instead.

Hagar the Horrible

Thats how you deal with it, 12 points deduction this season IF they are outside the bottom 3, 12 points next season if they do?  I put it to you m'laud that will ensure they dont win many games this season now??????

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If any of you want to pass on my details to Ann, I will happily do John Murrays job for less money 😂😉

He looks good. Probably out of our range though. 

Hagar the Horrible

I think trhe championship has called it right, I dont think that Wigan will be alone and as such might end up staying up on points already won,  so as they are net bottom, there might be 3 others in the same boat, so no real punishment

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

Probably but might point was also - imagining facing relegation with games to go and suddenly win three games and find yourself in a different position. Who would have thunk it?

Indeed, shows how quickly these things can change. SSN saying the 12 point penalty will be next season if they finish in the bottom 3 or this year if they are higher up, that seems extremely harsh.