Staycations

graygo

We've already had our holiday to turkey cancelled and probably looking at our wee break to Poland getting kyboshed as well so just booked a week at a holiday cottage at Strachur on the Cowal Peninsula. I've been up that part of the world before but that was work so it will be a different type of holiday for us this year and I'm really looking forward to it.

Anybody else holidaying at home for a change?

Anybody been up that neck of the woods that can recommend it?

Not really looking for the "holidays? Are you mental?" type responses.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doctor FinnBarr

• Sooperstar

• graygo

• highlandjambo3

Dagger Is Back

Yip. Family holiday to California to celebrate 18th and 21st birthdays goosed and given the nick of that part of the world, absolutely delighted

Up to a lodge in Taymouth for a week at the end of next month. Might well end up becoming a habit. Bit of walking, taking in the scenery etc. What's not to like? 

Enjoy your break

Governor Tarkin

Booked a cottage up in Dunbeath for a week from the 18th of July.

Gets less rain than the west coast, the village has a pub, and it's only a couple of hours drive from most of the things we missed on the NC500 a couple of years ago.

Can't wait.

A couple of nights in Skye in 2 weeks time. Been wanting to go for a while.

Hoping to get overseas at the end of September.

3 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Our airport is shut until at least September. I should have been at home for the last 3 weeks but couldn't get off the island. Booked a 4 night stay here instead. It's only a 40 minute drive but it's a wee change of scenery.

https://www.oceanparadisecayman.com/cayman-islands-vacation-rental-gallery

Aye, that's no really what I was looking for.......... Shitebag!  

😁

Ricardo Shillyshally

might need to merge this with the "I had to shite  in a field" thread if reports from last weekend are anything  to go by

Aye, fortnight in Portugal cancelled so booked a lodge near dunkeld for a week. Had a few days booked up there in April which was cancelled and they were great at refunding so glad to give them back the business. Just looking forward to a change of scenery!

Doctor FinnBarr

Eyemouth for me and the Mrs, taking daughter, her boyfriend and our grandaughter. Reckon the prom/harbour area will be better for a pushchair than hiring someplace remote with rugged walks..........and the pubs might be open.

1 minute ago, Zico said:

Aye, fortnight in Portugal cancelled so booked a lodge near dunkeld for a week. Had a few days booked up there in April which was cancelled and they were great at refunding so glad to give them back the business. Just looking forward to a change of scenery!

Change of scenery is just how we're looking at it, same as here nothing will be open. The walks will be more interesting.

Dagger Is Back
23 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Our airport is shut until at least September. I should have been at home for the last 3 weeks but couldn't get off the island. Booked a 4 night stay here instead. It's only a 40 minute drive but it's a wee change of scenery.

Looks alright. Is that a 3+ star?

29 minutes ago, graygo said:

Change of scenery is just how we're looking at it, same as here nothing will be open. The walks will be more interesting.

A different view out the window is worth the money alone!

Like many, hols abroad cancelled so we’ve booked a few days at a luxury lodge in Newton Stewart next month.

Hot tub, beers, change of scenery.  (taking the gazebo to cover the hot tub in case it’s raining😊).  Went to the same place 2 years ago and it was roasting for the 4 days we spent there.  Fingers crossed 🤞

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

A couple of nights in Skye in 2 weeks time. Been wanting to go for a while.

Skye is great if you get the weather, Soop.

Stop for a pint in the Clachan bar in Dornie on your way through Glen Shiel. It's the one with PUB painted in big white letters on the slate roof as you pas Eilean Donan castle on the other side of the road. Spent many a happy night in there over the years. I'd assume they'll be struggling to stay afloat so it would be great to give them a wee hand. 

The Red House next door is a holiday rental and is a great place for large-ish grouls to use as a base for exploring Skye, Plockton, the Glen Shiel Ridge, etc. Would recommend. 👍

Sooperstar
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Skye is great if you get the weather, Soop.

Stop for a pint in the Clachan bar in Dornie on your way through Glen Shiel. It's the one with PUB painted in big white letters on the slate roof as you pas Eilean Donan castle on the other side of the road. Spent many a happy night in there over the years. I'd assume they'll be struggling to stay afloat so it would be great to give them a wee hand. 

The Red House next door is a holiday rental and is a great place for large-ish grouls to use as a base for exploring Skye, Plockton, the Glen Shiel Ridge, etc. Would recommend. 👍

Cheers, looking forward to it. We are heading up 2 days after restaurants, pubs etc are allowed to open their indoor areas, so hoping we have timed it well. Any recommendations on places to visit, eat, drink etc gladly accepted.

PortyJambo
3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's the one with PUB painted in big white letters on the slate roof as you pas Eilean Donan castle on the other side of the road.

PortyJambo

I've had a wee trip south to the Isle of Wight booked since early this year, so relaxation in travel restrictions is coming at the right time.

Although I see IoW is one on the list of 36 places that is at risk of local shutdowns....that would be just so 2020.

14 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Looks alright. Is that a 3+ star?

Don't know what star it is. Not bothered. It ain't no dump anyway!

BigCGilmour
15 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Looks totally shyte, why would anyone want go there... any room for a liitl'un

Renting holiday homes for staycations has become a family tradition in recent years due to health problems not letting people go abroad.

Found lovely places in the borders, the cairngorms and around loch earn.

Four and five star self catering is a great way to enjoy a break.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, EH11_2NL said:

Don't know what star it is. Not bothered. It ain't no dump anyway!

Sorry boss my sense of humour backfiring. Looks fantastic and the ideal place to go to escape

scottishguy

We'll be heading down to Koch Ken or Sandyhills for our usual holiday. All kids are normally back at school when it go in September. Only a few other adults are usually there. Always nice and peaceful.

Don't know about other islands, but up here on Lewis, any tourists coming in by ferry will almost certainly be vilified by the locals. Not the tourists fault, the problem is, last summer it was a nightmare trying to book the car on the ferry as almost all spaces were taken by visitors to the islands. This year it will be even worse as the ferry can't currently have the boat as full due to social distancing rules.

There is currently a petition online for calmac to ensure locals get priority over ferry bookings. It would be easier of the put on an extra run but the seam to be run by the SPFL as there is no common sense applied.

@Boof, is it the same in your neck of the woods?

Glad I got away abroad in January and have no plans to go overseas again this year.

Got 3 nights in Manchester in Sept and then 4 nights in a cottage in Kenmore the following week. Would normally just book a cheap cottage but seeing as I’m not getting abroad booked a really nice one. 

davemclaren
17 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

We were on Grand Cayman for a week in 2009 staying up at the Tortuga(?) resort. Great holiday and gorgeous island. 

redtipsjambo
7 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Cheers, looking forward to it. We are heading up 2 days after restaurants, pubs etc are allowed to open their indoor areas, so hoping we have timed it well. Any recommendations on places to visit, eat, drink etc gladly accepted.

We are going up to Skye as well in middle of July

Feedback we have seen so far is, restaurants etc are still wary on opening in July and are looking at 1st August for bookings

28 minutes ago, redtipsjambo said:

Feedback we have seen so far is, restaurants etc are still wary on opening in July and are looking at 1st August for bookings

We're going to a holiday cottage in Strachur, thankfully the local pub is opening on the 17th July.

Sooperstar
46 minutes ago, redtipsjambo said:

That's a shame, hopefully we can find somewhere. We have a cottage booked anyway so full kitchen available if we have to make our own meals etc.

highlandjambo3

Just waiting on the hoards from down south to book into my guesthouse soon.......got guided tours set up of the highlands, including NC500 and just bought 2 electric bikes for hiring out.......bring it on.

Youd be surprised at how many adult tourists from abroad won’t drive in the UK because of the side we drive on, 💰 💰 💵 all the better for me.

highlandjambo3
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

That's a shame, hopefully we can find somewhere. We have a cottage booked anyway so full kitchen available if we have to make our own meals etc.

You won’t have a problem finding a restaurant doing takeaways......good quality stuff as well..........ok I know it’s not quite the same but, it’s fine.  Great Turkish restaurant up here https://www.highlandaspendos.co.uk/  Great food, you need to try it if your up this way.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Pedantry alert 

A "staycation" is when you take your holidays from work but actually stay at home and do things like day trips, home improvements etc.  

Holidaying in the same country that you live in is not a staycation, it's a holiday.  Bear in mind that the term is a US one where more than 80% of vacations are taken within the country.

Pedantry corner is over, thank you for your time. 

https://www.irishpost.com/news/dara-o-briain-rages-fans-a-staycation-is-not-a-holiday-in-the-same-country-you-live-in-187954

redtipsjambo
25 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

We are the same, got a cottage booked up in Waternish

Lochbay shellfish are delivering to premises if you are into shellfish, would imagine there are other ones doing much the same, depending where you are

2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Sorry boss my sense of humour backfiring. Looks fantastic and the ideal place to go to escape

😄 Don't worry. I got where you were coming from!

2 hours ago, superjack said:

Don't know about other islands, but up here on Lewis, any tourists coming in by ferry will almost certainly be vilified by the locals. Not the tourists fault, the problem is, last summer it was a nightmare trying to book the car on the ferry as almost all spaces were taken by visitors to the islands. This year it will be even worse as the ferry can't currently have the boat as full due to social distancing rules.

There is currently a petition online for calmac to ensure locals get priority over ferry bookings. It would be easier of the put on an extra run but the seam to be run by the SPFL as there is no common sense applied.

@Boof, is it the same in your neck of the woods?

From Northlink Ferries we have

Following the briefing on 18th June 2020, Scottish Government guidelines suggest that, in order to prevent the spread COVID-19, journeys should be restricted to essential travel, key workers and for those visiting friends and family. We would ask that all travellers consider whether they are adhering to the spirit of the Government guidelines.
Bookings should be made by phoning 0845 6000 449 (Calls cost 5p per minute plus your telephone company’s network access charge) or 01856 885500 (International and UK mobile telephones). View our COVID-19 information.

Personally, I'd be happy to see no tourists here this year at all but apart from an occasional tour bus driving duty I'm not an accommodation or any other service provider.

If ferry capacity is still limited (can't recall how much it's down to just now - certainly not very much) there might just be some sort of request to make bookings prioritised for islanders - if they aren't already. As I've no plans to leave the islands this summer (first time for 43 years!) I haven't been keeping up to date with the ins and outs of it all. Air travel - not sure about that either.

My worry is folk buggering off to somewhere and bringing a fresh dose of the virus back with them. We seem to be pretty clear of it just now - once travel builds up again, though, I think we're in for another period of more limited activities.

57 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Pedantry alert 

A "staycation" is when you take your holidays from work but actually stay at home and do things like day trips, home improvements etc.  

Holidaying in the same country that you live in is not a staycation, it's a holiday.  Bear in mind that the term is a US one where more than 80% of vacations are taken within the country.

Pedantry corner is over, thank you for your time. 

https://www.irishpost.com/news/dara-o-briain-rages-fans-a-staycation-is-not-a-holiday-in-the-same-country-you-live-in-187954

Both definitions are acceptable.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/staycation

1 hour ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Pedantry alert 

Thank you! We spent a fortnight every summer in a cottage near Castle Douglas for the first 16 years of my life. That was our summer holiday, not a staycation.  A staycation is what I do now cos I'm skint but have to use up annual leave......

9 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Three chimneys pal. Outrageously good, best meal I have ever had. We did a 8 or 10 course meal thing and it was incredible. 

Sooperstar
19 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Three chimneys pal. Outrageously good, best meal I have ever had. We did a 8 or 10 course meal thing and it was incredible. 

Another that isn't opening until month end unfortunately. 

Just now, Sooperstar said:

Another that isn't opening until month end unfortunately. 

One for another time if you’re ever up again.👍

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Cade said:

Renting holiday homes for staycations has become a family tradition in recent years due to health problems not letting people go abroad.

Found lovely places in the borders, the cairngorms and around loch earn.

Four and five star self catering is a great way to enjoy a break.

Agreed. Been doing this regulary since I began working offshore. Scotland really is fantastic. Great deals to be had if you are keen to go anywhere out of season.

I've also done some glamping in Scotland.

Have to choose your place carefully. 
It's been a growth sector for a wee while and some places do the bare minimum with pre-fab wooden sheds on paving slab foundations, all packed in a bit too close together, like a shite Butlins.

Other places are the real deal with well separated lodges which have been built bespoke on site.

Supposed to be returning to Vancouver to see my daughter in August. Looking increasingly likely the UK holiday will be the only one I'll get. I have a plan to go to Whitby, (Always wanted to go), then somewhere else on the way down to my Brothers in Welwyn Garden City. Across to my Dad's in Witshire, up to North Wales to see family then lakes or Morecambe on the way back up. Dog friendly hotels/B & B's all the way

Edited by Jamhammer

Weakened Offender
On 30/06/2020 at 21:31, Governor Tarkin said:

Booked a cottage up in Dunbeath for a week from the 18th of July.

Gets less rain than the west coast, the village has a pub, and it's only a couple of hours drive from most of the things we missed on the NC500 a couple of years ago.

Can't wait.

I'll be just up the road from you. Bloody love that part of the world. ❤️

Mac_fae_Gillie

Zero plans, but to look ahead to next year, plus improved my  electrical items got new PC and TV thx to money saved by no holiday.. Just don't see the point in eating out or even the pub for the foreseeable, and we know the infection rate will increase by end of July once the lockdowns end takes effect. So visiting somewhere just seems pointless without grub and a few pints.

Only thing would be a self catering/motorhome trip but they are going to be busy next 2 months and after that its autumn wind and rain, so bugger it  I'm saving for next year.

yvonnejambo

Well I live in Ullapool which is now not just a tourist spot for folk to stay for a few days or week, but part of the NC500 racetrack. I and many others who live here are grateful for being able to go about our work on roads so quiet and not nearly getting wiped out by sports car groups driving all over the road to see how quick they can drive it. 

Ullapool & NW coast needs tourists but there is a lot of concern about lots of people coming back up and not adhering to guidelines. I think 1 of the main issues from up here as rural communities that are 1-3 hours away from a hospital, the infrastructure is so limited. 
There has been no cases confirmed in this part of the World, but that is because we have small communities and set up good systems to keep local people safe. So the worry now is opening cautiously and safely to welcome tourists back and keep 70% of people in these communities in some kind of employment as tourism is so important up here.

What I would say is not all businesses will be open, but there already is enough doing takeaway to keep everyone happy. The North West is stunning so don’t race round it as that is a waste. Stop a few days in 1 part and just enjoy the natural beauty. The locals are normally all very friendly, this year I think some might not be so keen to see tourists, but it’s essential and many including me will be nice to see different faces and have chats. 

Oh and for my holidays, I will have a week in Edinburgh and a week in Aberdeen 😆

Ainsley Harriott

Off to Cornwall end of July but not sure if I will regret the drive with a 5 year old in the back of the car.

24 minutes ago, yvonnejambo said:

Well I live in Ullapool which is now not just a tourist spot for folk to stay for a few days or week, but part of the NC500 racetrack. I and many others who live here are grateful for being able to go about our work on roads so quiet and not nearly getting wiped out by sports car groups driving all over the road to see how quick they can drive it. 

Ullapool & NW coast needs tourists but there is a lot of concern about lots of people coming back up and not adhering to guidelines. I think 1 of the main issues from up here as rural communities that are 1-3 hours away from a hospital, the infrastructure is so limited. 
There has been no cases confirmed in this part of the World, but that is because we have small communities and set up good systems to keep local people safe. So the worry now is opening cautiously and safely to welcome tourists back and keep 70% of people in these communities in some kind of employment as tourism is so important up here.

What I would say is not all businesses will be open, but there already is enough doing takeaway to keep everyone happy. The North West is stunning so don’t race round it as that is a waste. Stop a few days in 1 part and just enjoy the natural beauty. The locals are normally all very friendly, this year I think some might not be so keen to see tourists, but it’s essential and many including me will be nice to see different faces and have chats. 

Oh and for my holidays, I will have a week in Edinburgh and a week in Aberdeen 😆

A week in Aberdeen 😱