Michael Smith

Danguar

3 years ago today, we signed Michael Smith.

Surely has to be one of the best signings of the 2010's when you look at his consistency and the fact he's been one of the few positives of the club since Neilson left?

Just now, Danguar said:

Finishes at the end of next season

ofttt then need him to sign a new one or sell him 😒

Just now, steve123 said:

ofttt then need him to sign a new one or sell him 😒

He signed a 2 year extension last year...really hope we get another one of those- even just a further year at least

Just now, Danguar said:

He signed a 2 year extension last year...really hope we get another one of those- even just a further year at least

Cheers I agree 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Danguar said:

He'll have options but Craig Gordon signing is a major boost when it comes to persuading top players to stay. No doubt Smith, Boyce and Washington and others with international aspirations want to see what league we're in, or maybe will consult with the new NI manager to see if the Championship could hurt their prospects.

Hectormasson
12 minutes ago, Danguar said:

Reminds you of what a proper hearts player is " mr consistency and hates losing !      Wish half of them had that attitude and we wouldn't be in shite creek !!!!

He's been a good signing but I thought he wasn't great last season, especially at full back. His delivery from wide is pretty shit. His best games for Hearts have been at Centerhalf. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He's been a good signing but I thought he wasn't great last season, especially at full back. His delivery from wide is pretty shit. His best games for Hearts have been at Centerhalf. 

Outstanding at times covering at CH, at RB he’s quite easily beat by a winger , and as you say, use of the ball can be average from there. I’ll stick my hands up and say I’ve never fully taken to him. 

Didn’t start getting up the line more until Stendel came in, so that wasn’t his fault we didn’t play that way under Levein. We were always used to overlapping, marauding full backs. 

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I would tend to agree that he has been accidentally found to be a better centre half than a full back, although I think he’s also very fine there.

He has an ability to read what’s going on in front of him, when playing centre back, that helps him anticipate danger and react early.

For me, a great signing for us.

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Outstanding at times covering at CH, at RB he’s quite easily beat by a winger , and as you say, use of the ball can be average from there. I’ll stick my hands up and say I’ve never fully taken to him. 

Didn’t start getting up the line more until Stendel came in, so that wasn’t his fault we didn’t play that way under Levein. We were always used to overlapping, marauding full backs. 

He's a good pro and gives his best. Can't fault him for that. He's solid but limited as a FB. I'd play him at CH or DM everytime over RB. 

complete control
18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

totally agreed  👍

A decent but fairly bog standard premier League full back. Shows how shit we have been lately when he has been our stand out player.

HillmanHearts

Mr Consistency. Never hides. If he's fit he's in the team. You want to keep these guys. There's not many like him around. Delivery from wide may not be world class but it's not Robbie-like ! 

One of few shining lights in a pretty disappointing decade in terms of player recruitment. Good **** is Mr Smith. Hates the Hibs too.

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

Great signing. Can see him going to English championship 

I think with his age, it might be too late for him there. Could be wrong but I don't think he has the pace to keep up with a league as intense as that.

Our most consistent player

I think he reads the game from Centre Half Really well

Solid full back

Never scores a shit goal.  His goal for Northern Ireland versus Germany was a screamer as well (ignore the final score) :lol:

We need to be looking at keeping him. 

Loved him but was disappointed to find out he was one of the ones refusing the pay cut. I’ve stated before that he’ll be gone in the transfer window as his Mrs has moved back down south to their new house in Bristol. 

Holyrood_Hearts
5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Loved him but was disappointed to find out he was one of the ones refusing the pay cut. I’ve stated before that he’ll be gone in the transfer window as his Mrs has moved back down south to their new house in Bristol. 

But he did though didn’t he? 

He's a cracking player for top flight Scottish football. Very versatile and dependable. Got a good long throw in him, can ping in goals with either peg, can play RB, LB, CB and midfield, and always contributes to the team.

10 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Bath I think. Agree he will be off though. 

Bazzas right boot

Could be argued he's one of our better footballer's and is a bit wasted as a fb. 

Defensively dodgy at times last season, but tbh most of our defence went to Dug shite and last season I'm putting a lot of that on the gk. 

Stands out every game at this level--always one of the better of not best players for us, hope we keep him. 

What might keep him here Is, imo that he doesn't have any stand out attributes, height, heading, crossing, defence/ forward/ crossing/pace. He's Litterally a 7/10 across the board. To go down south usually you need to have a raw attribute  or 2 that separates you from the pack, even Although other aspects of the players game are poorer. He's not young either. 

Good, consistent and versatile. 

Great signing. 

Our best player by far the last 2 seasons, beaten for POY by Steven Naismith last year I think, yet Stevie had missed half the season. Should have been POY this season too.

I really like him but if we get a decent offer for him I’d take it and look for a bargain elsewhere.

There will be plenty going about.

13 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I really like him but if we get a decent offer for him I’d take it and look for a bargain elsewhere.

There will be plenty going about.

Agree. He's solid and dependable but he's also replaceable. 

A centre back all day long and an excellent one as well. Him and Jimmy Dunn I’d like to of seen as a pairing. 
love the guy. Tremendous player who (along with Hickey) has pass marks last season

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Agree. He's solid and dependable but he's also replaceable. 

not so sure we can replace his quality but there’s players who are due a chance so we will see

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

not so sure we can replace his quality but there’s players who are due a chance so we will see

Not sure I'd use the word quality but he knows his position and reads the game well. That experience, professionalism and leadership will be hard to replace. Certainly think we can find better football players. L

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

He'll have options but Craig Gordon signing is a major boost when it comes to persuading top players to stay. No doubt Smith, Boyce and Washington and others with international aspirations want to see what league we're in, or maybe will consult with the new NI manager to see if the Championship could hurt their prospects.

100% agree. 

The league we're in will be an issue no doubt, but getting Gordon is huge. 

I really hope we win outright. It would be a shame to 'waste' a year of Gordon in the Championship. 

Saint Jambo

Some of the posters criticising him on this thread are the same ones that were telling us less than 2 years ago that Brandon and Godhino were already better players. That assessment has worked out well.

Decent player, a Robbie Neilson type in my book, could fit in to a real top Hearts team no bother and offers consistency at least in a poor team.

Greedy Jambo
42 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Decent player, a Robbie Neilson type in my book, could fit in to a real top Hearts team no bother and offers consistency at least in a poor team.

I've not seen Robbie Neilson score many screamers to be fair. 

This is going to be like the Djoum situation unfortunately, some people won't realise what they've got until he's gone. 

(and Smith is far more consistent than Djoum ever was)

Edited by Space Pirate

I remember releasing the news to JKB

I was introduced to him as long as I did not release his name..gave so many breadcrumbs without releasing the actual player signing..thank god it became public 24 hours or so later.

One of the better ones I'm pleased to say

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I remember releasing the news to JKB

I was introduced to him as long as I did not release his name..gave so many breadcrumbs without releasing the actual player signing..thank god it became public 24 hours or so later.

One of the better ones I'm pleased to say

Nothing like blowing your own trumpet. 

SwindonJambo
4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Bath I think. Agree he will be off though. 

He could easily end up at either Swindon or Bristol Rovers then. He would be absolutely fine at League 1 for a few seasons and with the ridiculous money sloshing around even the lower leagues here, he’d be fine money wise too.

Edit - I’ve just learnt he’s already spent 3 seasons at Bristol Rovers from 2011-14. At a guess his missus is a local girl hence the house there.

Edited by SwindonJambo

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

This is going to be like the Djoum situation unfortunately, some people won't realise what they've got until he's gone. 

spot on!

Mr consistency, has played all across the back 4 and also in midfield and rarely if ever fails to achieve pass marks.  If everyone in our team had his attitude and commitment, we would never have ended up in the position we now find ourselves.

If I was to make a comparison, it would be to Tam Flogel.  I'm not saying he is as good as Tam, but he has the same versatility, the ability to put in dependable performances in whatever position he is asked to play. 

10 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Not seen Smithy win a cup or play in Europe for Hearts!  

3fingersreid

Mr Dependable, I’ve only met him once and I was surprised at how slightly built and short in height he is , especially as he seems to dominate when at centre half , must be the strip that makes him look bigger .

Been a great signing for us .

8 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

He could easily end up at either Swindon or Bristol Rovers then. He would be absolutely fine at League 1 for a few seasons and with the ridiculous money sloshing around even the lower leagues here, he’d be fine money wise too.

Edit - I’ve just learnt he’s already spent 3 seasons at Bristol Rovers from 2011-14. At a guess his missus is a local girl hence the house there.

Leagues 1 and 2 have pretty tough salary caps coming in next season so the big money there will be gone except for two or three in each squad.  Fairly reasonable commute to Stoke, esp if they don’t survive relegation battle.