Craig Levein

Ted Hastings

1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

He was a great player, destined for Manu or  the like before his injury!

Better than Hansen/ W Miller/ Narey/ McLeish or Hegarty...........but not as good as Alan Anderson!

Hope that helps put him into context!

He was streets ahead of Alan Anderson.

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Levein was a true thoroughbred. Unbelievable pace. One of the fastest sprinters at the club. Hard as nails. Skillful on the ground and excellent in the air. Basically he was the perfect defender.

It's actually been difficult to watch our other defenders since he retired, even though we've had some more good ones, or indeed any other Scottish central defenders. 

He only missed out on more caps because Miller and McLeish played in the same team. Levein was better than both and better than Hansen. Better than Terry Butcher. Better than Gough. Better than any of the OF CDs at the time. He was on the cusp of a move to England at only 22/23 when his injuries stopped him in his tracks (sounds familiar). He could have had the kind of impact and career Andy Robertson had when he moved to Liverpool. Despite his horrific injuries he still had a fantastic career with us and Scotland. A lot of players would have given up sooner.

Anyone who says something like "show us your medals" referring to Levein is a ***** of the highest order.

I haven't posted for months despite my rage at the Lawell inspired SPFL slideshow. This has brought me back to the board. 

Yip. He was the very best player I will ever see in the shirt and one of the best managers. His second spell in rhe dugout turned  to shit and there was no way he could continue in the dugout for various reasons but I think we will thank him in time for the infrastructure he has left behind. Hopefully, I am right andRobbie is the beneficiary . 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Levein was a true thoroughbred. Unbelievable pace. One of the fastest sprinters at the club. Hard as nails. Skillful on the ground and excellent in the air. Basically he was the perfect defender.

It's actually been difficult to watch our other defenders since he retired, even though we've had some more good ones, or indeed any other Scottish central defenders. 

He only missed out on more caps because Miller and McLeish played in the same team. Levein was better than both and better than Hansen. Better than Terry Butcher. Better than Gough. Better than any of the OF CDs at the time. He was on the cusp of a move to England at only 22/23 when his injuries stopped him in his tracks (sounds familiar). He could have had the kind of impact and career Andy Robertson had when he moved to Liverpool. Despite his horrific injuries he still had a fantastic career with us and Scotland. A lot of players would have given up sooner.

Anyone who says something like "show us your medals" referring to Levein is a ***** of the highest order.

My thoughts exactly. To think we had him, Mackay, Colquhoun,  Robbo at the same time, after nearly two decades of decline. We really turned a corner and Levein was pivotal. 

Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

I haven't posted for months despite my rage at the Lawell inspired SPFL slideshow. This has brought me back to the board. 

Yip. He was the very best player I will ever see in the shirt and one of the best managers. His second spell in rhe dugout turned  to shit and there was no way he could continue in the dugout for various reasons but I think we will thank him in time for the infrastructure he has left behind. Hopefully, I am right andRobbie is the beneficiary . 

Good to see you back, JJ.

He was indeed, one of the very best players I ever saw in maroon, if not the best.

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

35 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Good to see you back, JJ.

He was indeed, one of the very best players I ever saw in maroon, if not the best.

Spot on. 

Barney bulge

Hopefully he gets his chance to voice his opinion on Michael Stewart’s failed career sometime with the air time he’s getting.
Levein  Only one the Scottish young player of the year award the twice !!!.

During  the 80s aswell when the standard of player he was competing against was just a little bit better than when half the pundits constantly putting the boot in played . .  They couldnt have laced leveins boots. 

Ex member of the SaS

All this Levein love in, they seem to forget very quickly the MILLIONS he wasted on duff players. The horrible play not to lose tactics that saw us defend a 1 - 0 lead against poorer sides, the insistence on staying on when Budge made it clear the decision to pack in was his.

Levein loves himself more than ANY team and simply because he is supporting our fight on the radio, he has no interest in us and is only looking for his next wage. Personally would prefer to wipe out his name on anything to do with Hearts, and hopefully this is the last thread on here to mention his name.

Levein, the destroyer of Heart of Midlothian.

complete control
13 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Agree with you on that.

I was similar that I never saw him play but loved his first time in charge.

The man loves Hearts and it's a pity it fell apart for him 2nd time round.

don't worry. its jobs for the boys in football. He will get another club somewhere if he wants.

13 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

He bleeds Hearts and has certainly done more for the club than Gary MacKay. 

Over time, the atrocious end will be forgotten and he'll only be remembered for his good stuff. Don't believe me? I never see any negative stuff on here about Wallace Mercer. Yet he was absolutely hounded out of Tynecastle at the end, crowds gathering outside the Main Stand after matches screaming for Mercer to go and sack the board, folk celebrating in Gorgie when he sold to Dean's and Robinson. 

10 years time he'll be back to being a good guy instead of a wank. 

Why bring Gary Mackay into it. In 10 years time he will still be hated by many Hearts fans for not doing the right thing, by resigning, and staying on to the bitter end drawing as much money out of Hearts. Yes he was a disaster and the sooner he keeps his big gob shut the better. He likes to think of himself as an expert of all that goes on at Hearts, he really is a joke.

43 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Why bring Gary Mackay into it. In 10 years time he will still be hated by many Hearts fans for not doing the right thing, by resigning, and staying on to the bitter end drawing as much money out of Hearts. Yes he was a disaster and the sooner he keeps his big gob shut the better. He likes to think of himself as an expert of all that goes on at Hearts, he really is a joke.

I'd be surprised. The anti-Mercer vibe died down by then and there was a **** ton more anti-Mercer feelings than there was anti-Levein. 

Randy Marsh
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

All this Levein love in, they seem to forget very quickly the MILLIONS he wasted on duff players. The horrible play not to lose tactics that saw us defend a 1 - 0 lead against poorer sides, the insistence on staying on when Budge made it clear the decision to pack in was his.

Levein loves himself more than ANY team and simply because he is supporting our fight on the radio, he has no interest in us and is only looking for his next wage. Personally would prefer to wipe out his name on anything to do with Hearts, and hopefully this is the last thread on here to mention his name.

Levein, the destroyer of Heart of Midlothian.

This.  If he had any dignity then he would have stayed out the public eye for a long time.   Instead he is trying to keep himself relevant and touting himself for future jobs.  I can't belive folk are praising him for 'fighting our corner'.  Like we should expect anything less from him.  He put us in the mess. 

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

In 10 years time he will still be hated by many Hearts fans

What an absurd and hysterical waste of one’s life. Am I correct in saying that would take you in to your 70s? You’d be sitting there in your seventies Hating a former Hearts player and manager? Give yourself a shake man. :lol:

1 hour ago, complete control said:

don't worry. its jobs for the boys in football. He will get another club somewhere if he wants.

Levein isn’t one of the boys in Scottish Football though. He’s a bit of an outlier in that sphere.

It all turned sour in his time at Hearts but I’ll remember Levein as one of best ever players with a career cruelly curtailed by injury and a manager first time around who done well. He also assisted Ann Budge in restoring our club after admin. His time was up but I genuinely believe he has an affinity for Hearts. 

Lone Striker
14 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

He got us Craig Gordon so not all bad. 

CG was at Hearts long before CL became manager.  Started in the Academy during JJ's time in the 90s 

13 hours ago, Morgan said:

He was streets ahead of Alan Anderson.

Yep....but how was he meant to know........you spoiled the jest!

13 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Alan Anderson? He was a great servant and captain, but nowhere near as good as Levein, who oozed class.

Oh dear........no one jests on here anymore!

14 hours ago, cunny1874 said:

where in this trouble because of him so a will never forgive him...mans a clown and done nothing as a manager..

Quite apt to see that your user name contains a 18th/19th century slang term for female genitalia.

Should have went back upstairs to DoF after the heart attack, it went downhill from there.  Then stepped out completely at the end of that season.  But way to stubborn

He was one of the best players I have seen at Hearts, no doubt about that

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Considering Hearts paid him months on end to do **** all the least he can do is back us up in the press.

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Hope he continues to air his opinion. Pleases me to think you might combust at the prospect ☀️

Greedy Jambo

It's interesting that he doesn't believe in sports scientists, yet he can't get his head around why we had so many injuries. 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

He's more of an expert on what goes on at Hearts than anyone here, yet here we all are, flapping our gobs.

Ex member of the SaS
54 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Quite apt to see that your user name contains a 18th/19th century slang term for female genitalia.

He is a Cunny Funt though, is he not?

15 hours ago, RobNox said:

I'm old enough to have seen him in his playing days and he is the best centre back I've ever seen pull on a maroon jersey.   If it had not been for his terrible cruciate ligament injuries, he would have gone on to play for a top English side.  He seemed ready made to fill the boots of Alan Hansen when he retired at Liverpool.  

This.

Anderson was a steady CH but not in Levein's class.

Levein's partnership with Slim made them first choice for the national team.

1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

Oh dear........no one jests on here anymore!

Ah. Jest away. We need it.

For a moment I thought your memory was playing tricks.

I met Alan Anderson when he was probably in his sixties. A good person, I thought, very modest and quite gently spoken. Something I remember from that chat was how lucky he said he'd been in hardly ever having been injured (contrast with Levein, though it was his injuries that kept CL at Hearts).

Like you, I'm a massive Levein fan. 

4 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

I'd be surprised. The anti-Mercer vibe died down by then and there was a **** ton more anti-Mercer feelings than there was anti-Levein. 

I believe there would of been more anti-Levein feeling if it wasn’t for Ann Budge & FOH.

4 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

What an absurd and hysterical waste of one’s life. Am I correct in saying that would take you in to your 70s? You’d be sitting there in your seventies Hating a former Hearts player and manager? Give yourself a shake man. :lol:

I never said I’d hate him. You really have a cheek my wee pal. I hate nobody unless they misrepresent my posts. 😎

3 hours ago, EH11 said:

Hope he continues to air his opinion. Pleases me to think you might combust at the prospect ☀️

No way Jose’. Levein is the past, yes he nearly ruined our club with his duff signings and erratic team selections, but we the fans now have a job to do putting the club back on the right lines. 

14 hours ago, jambostuart said:

I thought the thread would be about this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53222396

Interesting views given the injury issues he's had during his tenure with Hearts. 

It was strange listening to his views on this. On his first tenure at Hearts I actually thought he was quite innovative but he obviously hasn't progressed. Sport Science isn't just assessed on the fitness of players it is assessed on injury prevention as well. How he cant see that his training might be a reason to why his players were getting injured is beyond me. Its stubbornness. I am excited about Robbies ability to get players fit as that was the fittest I have seen players at Tynecastle. It would also be interesting to see how many injuries we got during his tenure. Personally think John Collins was correct about training in Scottish Football. The athleticism of players down south is unbelievable, will always remember that game vs Spurs at Tynecastle. (Athletic) Men vs (skinny/unfit) boys

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, mitch41 said:

He's on the radio so much, like Gordon, Presley and others with Hearts links, because no-one from other clubs wants to face awkward questions about their views on reconstruction and so on.

Hearts are the only show in town right now because we know we're in the right and we're willing to defend our position under questioning in the media. It's great having Craig Levein standing up for us and winding up the folk targeting us right now.

Edited by ToqueJambo

19 hours ago, cunny1874 said:

where in this trouble because of him so a will never forgive him...mans a clown and done nothing as a manager..

:wtfvlad:

14 hours ago, Morgan said:

:wtfvlad:

It’s pretty obvious but let me know if you need it breaking down for you 

On 29/06/2020 at 21:15, Ted Hastings said:

Yeh my dad used to (and still does) always say that he could have played anywhere he wanted if he’d not picked up those injuries. Well that and that he was a hard b@stard. 

For me CL was probably the best centre half to play in Scotland. A great defender, whose playing career was hampered by a horrific injury. He probably would've ended playing in England or Europe. I think that his persistence with playing Berra who was also fecked from injury contributed to his fall from grace. Maybe because of his past injury and rehab was the reason he continued to play Christophe. However I don't wish CL any ill will, I prefer to remember him for the good things from a brilliant derby day goal at ER to MDV game as manager.

8 hours ago, cunny1874 said:

It’s pretty obvious but let me know if you need it breaking down for you 

Not obvious to me, I’m afraid.

Please ‘breaking’ it down for me.

That would be most helpful.

Many thanks.  :thumbsup:

john thomas
23 hours ago, AHS51 said:

It was strange listening to his views on this. On his first tenure at Hearts I actually thought he was quite innovative but he obviously hasn't progressed. Sport Science isn't just assessed on the fitness of players it is assessed on injury prevention as well. How he cant see that his training might be a reason to why his players were getting injured is beyond me. Its stubbornness. I am excited about Robbies ability to get players fit as that was the fittest I have seen players at Tynecastle. It would also be interesting to see how many injuries we got during his tenure. Personally think John Collins was correct about training in Scottish Football. The athleticism of players down south is unbelievable, will always remember that game vs Spurs at Tynecastle. (Athletic) Men vs (skinny/unfit) boys

He was talking about sport scientists taking over training completely .

Most interesting point , for me , was his honesty in describing how the injuries affected him .

CL made lots of mistakes but the big thing , for me , was he clearly lost his passion .