John Murray/Recruitment

Leveins Battalion

6 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That letter he wrote to random agents asking if they had any good players was an utter embarrassment 

Can you, if you don’t have a link to the letter, please paste the text in here so folk like me who missed it can see how pathetic John Murray has been this time. Thanks

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Leveins Battalion

• JamboAl

• eyesandears

37 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We now have superclubs swallowing up young talent from ages 9 to 23  years old across Europe,look at any EPL academy and its like a league of Nations.Other clubs have worked this market superbly like Motherwell,picking up guys released.

From 1995 and the Bosman ruling to today we could not sign a Salvatori or Flogel nowadays,both finacially or from a sporting perspective

Then we have different recruitment models  now,Brentford are having their most successful period adapting the statistical approach.

We are undecided about what we want to be,firstly we had Levein wanting a conveyor belt of academy players,the quality is just not there.

Then we adapted players with international caps method,this brought us Perry Kitchen,Oshaniwa,Augustyn and Struna etc.Again failed.

Levein and Murray's final act was the theory of signing players who have had historical injury problems and would be out of reach,this has been disastrous.

We need to modernize,sign younger players in the 23 to 27 age range and start getting some value for money.

So you're really saying it's the club that's at fault.

All you've done is selected 2 teams (Motherwell and Brentford) who are currently doing comparatively well (in recruitment) out of 100+ UK clubs and countless foreign clubs.  You also missed out the Romanov years which was probably our most successful in recent years but had more of a scattergun approach than perhaps any in our history.

I neither wish to defend JM or criticise him but it's crazy to believe that over a period of 25 years he alone is to blame for any shortcomings in recruitment.  He is a soft target and you have just jumped on what you perceive to be a popular bandwagon.  We haven't played football for 3 months and suddenly you come up with this negative tripe now.

What are you trying to achieve?

Edited by JamboAl

Dusk_Till_Dawn
33 minutes ago, on&up2017 said:

Can you, if you don’t have a link to the letter, please paste the text in here so folk like me who missed it can see how pathetic John Murray has been this time. Thanks

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5418753/hearts-approach-agents-players-money-spend/amp/

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

🤣 Great scouting work there. 

Unreal isn’t it? A club of dinosaurs

5 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Get him out asap. Been at the club since about 1995?

If you look at our top scorers for the last 20 years-he found Sow (not a top scorer but worth adding), Juanma and i assume Zeefuik and De Vries were his too.

Lafferty knew MacPhee, Naismith knew Levein, Walker and Paterson youth players, John Sutton was well known in the league, Velicka was Kaunas, and then we have 3 midfielders Aguiar (Kaunas), Skacel (not Murray) and Suso (possibly Murray?)

Our head of recruitment/one of the biggest recruiters at the club, for 20 (TWENTY) years, has brought forward 4 (FOUR) strikers capable of  being our top scorers, one of which was half a season in the Championship we romped. Obviously not every transfer works out, and Skacel's scoring might take a few years out of the list, but to bring in only 4 top scorers, none reaching the 20 goals mark? Unbelievable he's stayed on if we're meant to be the 3rd biggest team.

I believe Sow was recommended by Neil Alexander and Zee was a MDV recommendation

5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Embarrassing stuff. 

What is truly embarrassing is the utter lack of talented forwards brought through our academy. 

aberhill jambo
7 hours ago, chubby1973 said:

Would love to see Jimmy dunne back at the club. Wasn't afraid to rip into anyone not pulling their weight. Really hated losing. 

Correct 

Was very good loan signing for us.

Greedy Jambo
23 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

What is truly embarrassing is the utter lack of talented forwards brought through our academy. 

Nothing new is it, deep rooted negative shite bag mentality throughout the club. Jobs for the boys and the same old people backing it up. 

That's something Stendel might have sorted given time, but we've went back in time and re-signed the Son that Ann always wanted. 

Leveins Battalion
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

So you're really saying it's the club that's at fault.

All you've done is selected 2 teams (Motherwell and Brentford) who are currently doing comparatively well (in recruitment) out of 100+ UK clubs and countless foreign clubs.  You also missed out the Romanov years which was probably our most successful in recent years but had more of a scattergun approach than perhaps any in our history.

I neither wish to defend JM or criticise him but it's crazy to believe that over a period of 25 years he alone is to blame for any shortcomings in recruitment.  He is a soft target and you have just jumped on what you perceive to be a popular bandwagon.  We haven't played football for 3 months and suddenly you come up with this negative tripe now.

What are you trying to achieve?

What on earth are you going on about.I have responded to your daft questions out of courtesy.

Consider this the last one.

We are not talking about the last 25 years inclusevely, we are talking about the last 5 that have ended up with us being the worst team in the Scottish Premier League.

Take your beef elsewhere,the thread is about moving on from John Murray and the future of HMFC.To improve this we have to.look at where we have went wrong.

16 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

What on earth are you going on about.I have responded to your daft questions out of courtesy.

Consider this the last one.

We are not talking about the last 25 years inclusevely, we are talking about the last 5 that have ended up with us being the worst team in the Scottish Premier League.

Take your beef elsewhere,the thread is about moving on from John Murray and the future of HMFC.To improve this we have to.look at where we have went wrong.

And you take your negative crap elsewhere.

This subject has been covered before.

Why don't you just get behind the team instead of always looking for the downside.

10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Why don't you just get behind the team instead of always looking for the downside.

We were bottom of the league when it stopped, whatever the issues we have with our being expelled, you have to accept we have underachieved as a club. That’s not being negative, it’s being honest. If you don’t or can’t accept this you are delusional 

Leveins Battalion
9 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

We were bottom of the league when it stopped, whatever the issues we have with our being expelled, you have to accept we have underachieved as a club. That’s not being negative, it’s being honest. If you don’t or can’t accept this you are delusional 

Don't waste your breath on him.

Greedy Jambo
44 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Don't waste your breath on him.

Agreed. 

The thoughts of some so called Hearts fans on here is doing us more harm than good, they might as well be Hibs supporters. 

It's just a pure jobs for the boys mentality and as long as they have a nice day out, all is good. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

This is the sort of ignorant nonsense that's got us where we are. Time to take stock and look why we're here and make the necessary changes.

jamboinglasgow

Recruitment is where we stand or fall, it has been clear since we left the Championship thats where our biggest problem has been. Get that right and we will be in a great position going on.

We have one of the biggest budget outwith the old firm and teams with much smaller budgets seem to be better at signing players than us. Under Levein we looked to sign quite a few players who had been good in the past or potential of being good but have been injured quite often. Now that doesn't necessarily mean its a terrible idea, you can find value in transfers in that, however too often we signed players who carried on having injuries or never reaching the level they promise (though there is an extra element of poor coaching under Levein that didn't develop players.)

I dont have the right answer as I am not in football, I would like to think we could look at styles of recruitment that can give us an edge in a crowded market. I hope whoever we hire as Sporting director can arrange a clear plan for recruitment and a talented team who can get the players we need.

9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Recruitment is where we stand or fall, it has been clear since we left the Championship thats where our biggest problem has been. Get that right and we will be in a great position going on.

We have one of the biggest budget outwith the old firm and teams with much smaller budgets seem to be better at signing players than us. Under Levein we looked to sign quite a few players who had been good in the past or potential of being good but have been injured quite often. Now that doesn't necessarily mean its a terrible idea, you can find value in transfers in that, however too often we signed players who carried on having injuries or never reaching the level they promise (though there is an extra element of poor coaching under Levein that didn't develop players.)

I dont have the right answer as I am not in football, I would like to think we could look at styles of recruitment that can give us an edge in a crowded market. I hope whoever we hire as Sporting director can arrange a clear plan for recruitment and a talented team who can get the players we need.

Now we've got the guy who thought signing Conor Sammon and Juwon Oshaniwa on 3yr deals was a good idea, coming back to the club. Finding it hard to be positive about this appointment. Especially if teflon John Murray is still at the club.

I think one of the Sporting Directors key functions and abilities will be to update and re-organise our scouting system. Hopefully as well as a SD, we employ a good chief scout of scouts.

IMO having the advice of the likes of Donald Park and JJ alongside our SD and Robbie would be a good transfer committee to look at players recommended to us so have the expert voices there to ensure we sign the right folk. 

Obviously our recruitment has been dire this last 4 years but Heard through a friend that when Hearts went in to admin Murray’s pension went belly up so Hearts kept him on but Levein did his own scouting and ignored  Murray’s recommendations. I am not saying that he has a spotless record re recruitment but from what I have heard He is not culpable for the shit show that brought us to our position now.
Also did Robbie not recruit Lawrence Shankland. Agree that Parky JJ would be great assets in this regard.

1 hour ago, hisnameis said:

Obviously our recruitment has been dire this last 4 years but Heard through a friend that when Hearts went in to admin Murray’s pension went belly up so Hearts kept him on but Levein did his own scouting and ignored  Murray’s recommendations. I am not saying that he has a spotless record re recruitment but from what I have heard He is not culpable for the shit show that brought us to our position now.
Also did Robbie not recruit Lawrence Shankland. Agree that Parky JJ would be great assets in this regard.

Are your friend's initials JM by any chance?

Was it Murray who brought in Kyle, Elliott and Beattie? Just in the interests of balance. I’m not sure how involved he was. We should also remember JJ didn’t want Skacel and nearly foisted Tony Capaldi on us. Nobody is infallible, including JJ. If Murray is leaving, I hope we are going to raid a smaller club with a history of finding good players we haven’t heard much about. I’d be nicking the boy at Motherwell or any other small club who’ve done well at finding hidden gems.

7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I think one of the Sporting Directors key functions and abilities will be to update and re-organise our scouting system. Hopefully as well as a SD, we employ a good chief scout of scouts.

IMO having the advice of the likes of Donald Park and JJ alongside our SD and Robbie would be a good transfer committee to look at players recommended to us so have the expert voices there to ensure we sign the right folk. 

I agree with what you say apart from the highlighted part.  We have a manager and (soon) a SD who, individually or jointly, should oversee scouting.  Having a chief scout as well is may be overkill.

Edited by JamboAl

2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Was it Murray who brought in Kyle, Elliott and Beattie? Just in the interests of balance. I’m not sure how involved he was. We should also remember JJ didn’t want Skacel and nearly foisted Tony Capaldi on us. Nobody is infallible, including JJ. If Murray is leaving, I hope we are going to raid a smaller club with a history of finding good players we haven’t heard much about. I’d be nicking the boy at Motherwell or any other small club who’ve done well at finding hidden gems.

Kevin Kyle recommended Elliot to JJ.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I agree with what you say apart from the highlighted part.  We have a manager and (soon) a SD who, individually or jointly, should oversee scouting.  Having a chief scout as well is may be overkill.

You still need to have a chief scout who actually goes and watches them 3 times or so over 90 minutes. That's not the manager or sporting directors job, I doubt they'd have the time anyway. 

Jingle Bells

Murray and his Scouts seem to be reasonably successful with spotting Goal-Keepers and Defenders (the easy bit) but are weak at finding serviceable Strikers/Goal Scorers.(the hard bit).

As the latter is the value end of the transfer market this is a problem for the Club,which needs to be resolved by a new appointment being made, imho.

1 minute ago, Jingle Bells said:

Murray and his Scouts seem to be reasonably successful with spotting Goal-Keepers and Defenders (the easy bit) but are weak at finding serviceable Strikers/Goal Scorers.(the hard bit).

As the latter is the value end of the transfer market this is a problem for the Club,which needs to be resolved by a new appointment being made, imho.

Yes we've been blessed with Zlamal, Doyle & Pereira over the past few seasons. A sterling job.

Jingle Bells
2 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Yes we've been blessed with Zlamal, Doyle & Pereira over the past few seasons. A sterling job.

Just trying to put up a balanced view however I'd be pleased if he does go, overall

For instance he did scout Craig Gordon but got caught with his pants down as far as no Centre Forward at the Club (after binning Gordon Smith) during our last relegation.

Jingle Bells
14 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Now we've got the guy who thought signing Conor Sammon and Juwon Oshaniwa on 3yr deals was a good idea, coming back to the club. Finding it hard to be positive about this appointment. Especially if teflon John Murray is still at the club.

And then paired Sammon with Tony Watt,  both of whom couldn't hit an Elephant's erse with a banjo.

Rick Sanchez

The man is untouchable for some reason, if the new sporting director doesn't get rid of him we'll have to hire those Dutch fans that stormed their stadium and threw that guy out and told him not to come back :laugh:

Bad Religion
2 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

So well done John Murray on bringing back Craig Gordon then? Or does this thread not work that way?

Nope, the guys got to go. Recruitment has been terrible for to long.

On 28/06/2020 at 12:33, TheBigO said:

An issue we have, which adds to the unfairness of the whole thing, is that while we are expelled, our attraction is lessened, so we're in a different market to the one should we be in top flight.

Now, we may end up being in the Prem, but how can we plan? We'll, we can have plan A and B for each league, with budgets, but can we already contact players and say, well we might be in top league...

Agreed ... We cant recruit fully until we find which league we will bw competeing in. 

Rick Sanchez
3 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

So well done John Murray on bringing back Craig Gordon then? Or does this thread not work that way?

I think this has more to do with Ann than it does John Murray. Obviously given the green light by Robbie.

I don't think any player from the Premiership needs to be scouted tbh.

14 hours ago, hisnameis said:

Well the pension part is rubbish but still maybe the rest is true..some of it has to be.

Edited by CJGJ

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, eyesandears said:

Yeah, sensational scouting that. None of us had ever heard of Gordon. Wonder how Murray found out about him

eyesandears
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yeah, sensational scouting that. None of us had ever heard of Gordon. Wonder how Murray found out about him

So who at Hearts instigated this then? 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, eyesandears said:

So who at Hearts instigated this then? 

Don’t be thick.

The value of your recruitment department is not in signing a 37 year old Gordon, or Naismith or Berra or Lafferty. A three year old could identify them.

The value of your recruitment department is in finding suitable players who are under the radar and within price range. Players you have to work hard to find. Murray’s record in that respect is abysmal (as was Levein’s).

eyesandears
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Don’t be thick.

The value of your recruitment department is not in signing a 37 year old Gordon, or Naismith or Berra or Lafferty. A three year old could identify them.

The value of your recruitment department is in finding suitable players who are under the radar and within price range. Players you have to work hard to find. Murray’s record in that respect is abysmal (as was Levein’s).

You don't know. Don't worry I'll ask someone that does.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

Ask someone to explain the game to you while you’re at it.

eyesandears
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Ask someone to explain the game to you while you’re at it.

I understand you're embarrassed now. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, eyesandears said:

I understand you're embarrassed now. 

You’re ascending straight to the top of the lickspittle roster 

eyesandears
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You’re ascending straight to the top of the lickspittle roster 

Great come back, brilliant. Thanks for such constructive input to a simple question. You were called out earlier on this page. Looks like that guy has been proved right.

Never rated Murray since a supporters meeting at Tynecastle when Frail was in charge.

He lost the plot when some fan asked him a question about Callum Elliott.

How he has survived all this time is a mystery.

I think it says a lot about our scouting and the rest of the business that we don't know which players our Chief Scout is responsible for and which he is not...

Nucky Thompson
30 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

I thought his answer was on the money myself

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I thought his answer was on the money myself

It was indeed. The other guy is making little sense.