John Murray/Recruitment

Leveins Battalion

Leveins Battalion

Apologies if there is already a thread and this not a bash John Murray rant but does anybody know what the situation is with him and our recruitment going forward?

Quick look on Transfermarkt and some of the quality out of contract-

Daniel Bachman-Austrian keeper who was at Killie on Loan.

Murray Wallace-Centre Half

Daniel Harvie-Scotland under 21 left back a d Ayr's player of the season

Lewis MacLeod 

Scott Fraser

Niko Hamelainen

Alex Gogic

Jimmy Dunne

Ethan Hamilton 

And this is just guys with links to Scottish Football.

Assuming it all depends on the SD appointment?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Leveins Battalion

• JamboAl

• eyesandears

7 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Apologies if there is already a thread and this not a bash John Murray rant but does anybody know what the situation is with him and our recruitment going forward?

Lewis MacLeod 

Scott Fraser

Niko Hamelainen

Alex Gogic

Jimmy Dunne

Ethan Hamilton 

An issue we have, which adds to the unfairness of the whole thing, is that while we are expelled, our attraction is lessened, so we're in a different market to the one should we be in top flight.

Now, we may end up being in the Prem, but how can we plan? We'll, we can have plan A and B for each league, with budgets, but can we already contact players and say, well we might be in top league...

Dusk_Till_Dawn

That letter he wrote to random agents asking if they had any good players was an utter embarrassment 

Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That letter he wrote to random agents asking if they had any good players was an utter embarrassment 

Was that legitimate?

If so then I agree utter embarrassment.!

I'd like to see a younger,dynamic recruitment  'team' put in place.We have so much going for us as a club and city that we really need to exploit it.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Was that legitimate?

If so then I agree utter embarrassment.!

I'd like to see a younger,dynamic recruitment  'team' put in place.We have so much going for us as a club and city that we really need to exploit it.

Oh, it was legitimate

portobellojambo1
22 minutes ago, indianajones said:

John Murray needs to leave. 

Agree, and in terms of recruitment I don't think playing in the Championship needs to create too much of a downer regards players who might consider us.. I think it is more to do with how the option is sold to potential players and their advisers. So getting in someone to replace Murray who has no links to specific agent or agencies and no restrictions on who he can look at, and with the ability to sell the club in an articulate manner would help greatly.

Psychedelicropcircle

Pretty sure he is leaving unless we have another Murray leaving us this summer.

51 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Lewis MacLeod 

Scott Fraser

Niko Hamelainen

Alex Gogic

Jimmy Dunne

Ethan Hamilton 

Of course it's not.

Yet another bash the club effort!

Rocky jamboa

I agree he should go - our recruitment has been abysmal - but reckon we need to wait to find out what league we'll be in and when our season will start before looking at bringing new players in. 

We need it to be a more fluid role. It sounds like its been implemented as a job which makes him hard to get rid of. 

Maybe have it as a rolling contract of some sort. Ultimately, we don't want to get to the situation where we have such prolonged poor recruitment and no course of action to get rid.

I like the suggestions in the OP. Murray Wallace interests me, although could be a tough sell.  Harvie seems a no brainer. If Hickey won't sign the extension he must be moved on ASAP. We need to try and push for 7 figures for him before he runs his contract down any further. 

What happened to the attacking centre mid we fancied from Dundee United recently? Think he chose to go down south somewhere?

Find it staggering he's still in his post.  Hasn't unearthed a gem for many a year and must have about a 10 percent success rate on players who are capable of playing for a team like Hearts.

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

We need it to be a more fluid role. It sounds like its been implemented as a job which makes him hard to get rid of. 

Maybe have it as a rolling contract of some sort. Ultimately, we don't want to get to the situation where we have such prolonged poor recruitment and no course of action to get rid.

I like the suggestions in the OP. Murray Wallace interests me, although could be a tough sell.  Harvie seems a no brainer. If Hickey won't sign the extension he must be moved on ASAP. We need to try and push for 7 figures for him before he runs his contract down any further. 

Murray Wallace is a big jambo, would be a cracking signing but I'm sure he will have plenty offers down south though.

If Hickey opts for Celtic, get Taylor as part of the deal. 

Edited by bobskeldon
Typo

Leveins Battalion
7 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

What happened to the attacking centre mid we fancied from Dundee United recently? Think he chose to go down south somewhere?

Scott Fraser-He is out of contract at Burton after doing really well there.

Good left foot,scores goals,free kick and set piece taker.

Had a good link up with Boyce.👍

1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Scott Fraser-He is out of contract at Burton after doing really well there.

Good left foot,scores goals,free kick and set piece taker.

Had a good link up with Boyce.👍

Thought it might have been him. Cheers. 👍

Would love to see Jimmy dunne back at the club. Wasn't afraid to rip into anyone not pulling their weight. Really hated losing. 

fabienleclerq

I think his role is quite possibly more important than the managers for us, but we we've had years of bad overpaid recruitment. 

It’s a mystery to me how John Murray has survived the last 6 years with the job title of Head of Recruitment. 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Seems the height of naivety.  What response was he expecting ?

"Dear John, Thanks for getting touch.  I have dozens of players available, but to be honest they're all pretty hopeless. However seeing its you, I'll do a special deal for you on any of them. Thanks" 

Leveins Battalion

Hopefully Robbie has came back up North with good knowledge of Leagues 1 and 2.

Some good players out of contract like Devante Cole,Alex Kiwomya who is a flying machine,Marcus Barnes also a speed merchant and perfect for Robbies 442 with wide players.

1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

If Hickey opts for Celtic, get Taylor as part of the deal. 

Aye right Taylor would come to Hearts do you honestly believe that.

Famous 1874

John Murray is an utter disgrace to Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Genuinely woeful scout. I’d recommend better players than him ffs. 

Were previous rumours that he was retiring, really hope they are true. 

Edited by Famous 1874

part_time_jambo
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

What did it say?

SomethingAboutObua

Get him out asap. Been at the club since about 1995?

If you look at our top scorers for the last 20 years-he found Sow (not a top scorer but worth adding), Juanma and i assume Zeefuik and De Vries were his too.

Lafferty knew MacPhee, Naismith knew Levein, Walker and Paterson youth players, John Sutton was well known in the league, Velicka was Kaunas, and then we have 3 midfielders Aguiar (Kaunas), Skacel (not Murray) and Suso (possibly Murray?)

Our head of recruitment/one of the biggest recruiters at the club, for 20 (TWENTY) years, has brought forward 4 (FOUR) strikers capable of  being our top scorers, one of which was half a season in the Championship we romped. Obviously not every transfer works out, and Skacel's scoring might take a few years out of the list, but to bring in only 4 top scorers, none reaching the 20 goals mark? Unbelievable he's stayed on if we're meant to be the 3rd biggest team.

Boab Mugabe

Absolutely incredible he has somehow survived Pieman, Robinson and Budge eras thus far.

Should have been removed years ago.

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

What letter?

Sorry not been on here much of late, could someone please post a link to said letter/thread?

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Find it staggering he's still in his post.  Hasn't unearthed a gem for many a year and must have about a 10 percent success rate on players who are capable of playing for a team like Hearts.

Couldn't agree more. Needs to leave one way or another

complete control
3 hours ago, MTS1874 said:

It’s a mystery to me how John Murray has survived the last 6 years with the job title of Head of Recruitment. 

100 per cent  correct 

john thomas
4 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Murray Wallace is a big jambo, would be a cracking signing but I'm sure he will have plenty offers down south though.

Really ? Unusual , not unheard of , for a weegie

eyesandears

He will leave if the new Sports Director doesn't want him. He'll not walk away as he has been at the club for many years and will be due a pay-off. Which he is of course entitled to.

15 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Really ? Unusual , not unheard of , for a weegie

Yeah he is. Quoted as saying Pressley is his hero and been a Jambo since 5yrs old or something.

I'm sure he'll be here at some point. Whether now or in a few years when he can't get a big payday down south

Tennant's  6's
6 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Lewis MacLeod 

Scott Fraser

Niko Hamelainen

Alex Gogic

Jimmy Dunne

Ethan Hamilton 

That is a pretty damn impressive list of players, esp Bachmann, Wallace, Dunne, Fraser. 

Would love those guys to be signed by the club, not easy though given we don't know whatd gonna happen re the court case, at least for a while yet..

husref musemic

the dross that's came, gone & now long forgotten over the past five years has been unreal. 

IMO it's 90% of the reason we're in the situation were in.  

should have been gone a long time ago.

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

the dross that's came, gone & now long forgotten over the past five years has been unreal. 

IMO it's 90% of the reason we're in the situation were in.  

should have been gone a long time ago.

Apart from Jim Jefferies 98 team,early Levein years ie De vries,Webster etc and the 2 months Simon Hunt was here with Burley has our scouting ever been good?

Post admin has been massively disappointing. 

16 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Apart from Jim Jefferies 98 team,early Levein years ie De vries,Webster etc and the 2 months Simon Hunt was here with Burley has our scouting ever been good?

Post admin has been massively disappointing. 

Do you know who brought Murray to Tynecastle?

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Do you know who brought Murray to Tynecastle?

I do,however this was 25 years ago and football and football recruitment has changed.We need to modernise and increase quality.

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I do,however this was 25 years ago and football and football recruitment has changed.We need to modernise and increase quality.

In what way(s) has recruitment changed?

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

In what way(s) has recruitment changed?

We now have superclubs swallowing up young talent from ages 9 to 23  years old across Europe,look at any EPL academy and its like a league of Nations.Other clubs have worked this market superbly like Motherwell,picking up guys released.

From 1995 and the Bosman ruling to today we could not sign a Salvatori or Flogel nowadays,both finacially or from a sporting perspective

Then we have different recruitment models  now,Brentford are having their most successful period adapting the statistical approach.

We are undecided about what we want to be,firstly we had Levein wanting a conveyor belt of academy players,the quality is just not there.

Then we adapted players with international caps method,this brought us Perry Kitchen,Oshaniwa,Augustyn and Struna etc.Again failed.

Levein and Murray's final act was the theory of signing players who have had historical injury problems and would be out of reach,this has been disastrous.

We need to modernize,sign younger players in the 23 to 27 age range and start getting some value for money.