Your school punishment options?

crichiejambos

crichiejambos

Your age will dictate your answer on how you were/if punished at school if like me 70s/80s was  your era it was the belt which looking back was barbaric but you thought nothing of it at the time. Writing lines  were later on "I MUST NOT...........?"a  thousand times which was really a time wasting exercise and not particularly effective , detention was never an option the teachers were less interested in  staying back after school than we were plus lots of kids got school buses home and even then leaving a child stranded wasn't a good option even less so now. So how did the Scottish education system keep you check or were you an......:teu35:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin

• Angel eyes

• Morgan

• inspector

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Салатные палочки

In high school there was so many options available to the teachers. Lower end was sent out the class to stand for the duration of the period. Then there was stages of punishment. Stage C (lowest) to Stage A (highest). Three Stage A's was a suspension. 

There was also behaviour cards, which you collected in the morning from your guidance teacher and took to each class to get the teacher to sign and then took it home to your parents to sign and then returned it in the morning where you got a new one. A total pain in the arse. 

I was only suspended once for acting like an arse in the school library one Friday with three other lads. However, that same day one particularly mental lad was getting suspended at the same time as us. As we lined up near the end of the day to collect our suspension letters, a teacher walked past and asked the mental lad if the headteacher was in the office to which he replied "nah he's on the ******* moon". She then reported this to the headteacher who came out to scald him. The lad flipped and started punching the headteacher as other male teachers flew out of classrooms to restrain him.  We stood there not knowing whether to laugh or not. They managed to get him out the school but for some mad reason the headteacher decided to go outside and speak to him again, perhaps thinking he had calmed down. He hadn't and rammed the nut on him, bursting his nose. That was the last time I ever seen him until one day I was reading the paper and recognised his face. He had gone over the wall at Castle Huntly and was on the run in Glasgow. 

It made me feel a bit better about my suspension but I was shitting bricks about telling my mum and dad. My dad didn't even flip. He just shook his head in disappointment. I wish he had just went mental. I wasn't allowed to go to games for a month and he took my sister instead. 

I hated school and was in trouble a fair bit, just because I couldn't be arsed and wanted to ***** about with my mates. I regret it now to be fair. 

Lines or a “punny” (punishment exercise). Only ever got detention once and didn’t turn up for it. Nothing was ever mentioned 😁

At gala academy, they weren't allowed to give you lines as they said it wasn't productive. Instead you were made to copy out the school rules a few times, which I never done so I got the other option, the belt. Gala academy was the last school in scotland to still use the belt, it was banned when I went into 4th year in 1988. I should be in the history books as I was 1 of the last 3 to get the belt ever. It's good to have a claim to fame.

Jambo-Jimbo

The belt or lines at Peebles High School were the only things I got, including 500 lines of 'I MUST NOT USE CARBON PAPER TO COPY MY LINES', was going to be 1000 but the teacher knocked of 500 for me showing some inventiveness :rofl:

Салатные палочки

What was people's lines technique? 

Was it writing the lines out in full seperately? Or did you do all the words at the same time like

I must 

I must 

I must 

I

Etc. 

And did anyone use a ruler and just do one big 'I' at the start? :laugh:

In primary school one of my teachers would give you a poke in the back with her long nails if you were talking when you shouldn't be.

She forgot I wore a milwaukee brace for my scoliosis......when she hit the metal bar it bent her nail back about 140 degrees. No more jabs in the back after that....

:smugger:

The belt, which always seemed a better alternative to lines or detention. I had a biology teacher who would give you lines to do at home if you didn’t do your homework and then give you the belt of you didn’t do the lines. Obviously the lines were never done. After 4th year they got rid of the belt And introduced detention, one of the detention teachers didn’t let you do homework but made you copy out Chaucer longhand. Arsehole. 
Rather amazingly I would have been around 7 the first time I got the belt. It’s a pretty sick kind of adult that could give the belt to kids so small. 

Lines a minor detail, double hander or one hand strappings.

One day in Boroughmuir a future Hearts goalie, Billy Duff, an other boy and myself got thrown out of Miss Mitchells French class for advising her that her ultra large nasal organ was blocking the blackboard. We stood laughing in the corridor when the gowned  headmaster Mr Carswell came by, Got the story ordered us down to his office where we were punished with I don't know how many double handers, but it hurt.

My worst individual punishment was in the Art class. I had a card for dental appointments, which I managed to alter to avoid the faggy art classes. It came to exam time and I was pleased that the test was to write a sign saying vote for, and your name. So I spent a whole about fifteen seconds writing it, I guess it was one of the many classes I missed. In the exam review the teacher I think it was McKean said that anyone with less than fifty percent would get one of the strap for each point. The first victim was a girl who got one, and the numbers increased as the scores decreased until he advised someone had go ma zero mark. I thought he must be next to an idiot that as so easy. Then my name was called, he said because the punishment was single handers he would give me 25 double handers and he did. Girls were screaming and crying, boys were saying stop but he kept on. When he finished I looked him straight in the eye, and asked if he was finished an he said yes, and I said so am I i will never return to your class and I never did. To my knowledge I was never marked absent and was never told I had missed or failed an exam.

I went home and showed her my bruised hands and my underarms almost halfway to my elbow. She gave me money told me to go to a movie until faither went out with the dog, because if he saw and heard the story he would beat the lights out of me then do worse to McKean.

60s/70s, I went to a wee primary with only 2 teachers.  One of them the headmistress,  had a belt in her cupboard,  but I never heard of it being used. She preferred to slap your legs. I can't remember the other teacher hitting anyone. We had a third teacher for a short time. She used to hit you on the palm with some, maybe 5 or 6, 22" wooden rulers. That was bloody sore.

At the Academy, it was usually either a 500 word punishment exercise (an essay on the teachers choice of subject) or the belt; depending on the offence, and the teacher. Of course, being a good lad, I never got the belt and only had punishment exercises a couple of times when the whole class got one. 😇 

The belt (or "tawse") in secondary school.

In primary school, a ruler over the knuckles or a clip on the ear.

Shanks said no

Varied, none of which were particularly effective

- the belt = fear, pain, humiliation but over in seconds

- lines = waste of time

- 1000 word on the day I ate a giraffe (topic varied) = actually quite clever as at least you had to use part of your brain

- detention = once had triple double detention, which I think was the most you could get, meant nothing as parents didn't know

- deputy head = was meant to scare me, meh, could see through the BS, supposedly calling police but couldn't get through.......

- parents night = ok this one was effective as my dad was a bit scary

Shanks said no

How could I forget the ruler!

There was a certain geography teacher at high school who had a special ruler, made of wood but the ends were metal. So depending on your offence / his sadistic streak, it could be pretty painful. He liked hitting me. So one day while distracted I acquired his ruler. 

He questioned and searched every pupil but never got it back.

The day I left school I had to go round every teacher getting them to sign some leavers form and he quipped "going on the dole are we", "nah I have a Ferranti apprenticeship and your ruler". His face went an odd shade of purple as I walked away a free man.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Only ever had detention once, belt twice and lines few dozen times,  lines were best option getting the belt meant parents been told and that really not wanted. 

Punnies, Punnies and mair Punnies. 

The Belt in primary, where the more you laugh, the more you got. 

Post belt- A desk next to the door, then a cupboard out the class. :D Magic!

Pink slips, that would result in immediate suspension or being expelled. And the Yellow card for months, where too many Xs resulted in suspension. Usually on return from suspension. 

Detention was just nae breaks, nae big deal. 

Unknown user

my first eccy (no, not that kind) was for throwing blue tack at the teacher's back from miles away, I was so shocked at it homing in on target that I stood and watched instead of running like everyone else.

100 lines, I must not throw missiles in school :laugh:

And I lost the part of the cowardly lion in the school play too, the cow. That one hurt.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, kawasakijambo said:

Mr Mathieson  "Horace".

Mr Wilkes "Omo".

Amongst others....

Theres a bit in the Thick of it where Malcolm Tucker calls English Olly 'Horace' and he hasn't a clue what he's talking about :laugh2: 

I love how pure Scottish that reference is

Back in P7 my class 7a and the class next door 7b got into a massive fight with the year below who were acting like Billy big baws. P7 (a and b) were given a ball each to stop us fighting which, tbf worked. One afternoon we were having our usual football match and all the wee ******s from P6 started to annoy us and got quickly told to "Feck off". Then the wee neds started throwing stones which ultimately escalated into a full scale punch up. Everyone involved got taken into the PE hall for a bollocking, I can't remember if the belt had been abolished or not but I got all the lads in P7 off any punishment. My mum was an active member of the PTA and got on well with our Head, so when asked for my version of events, the Head believed me over everyone else.

:verysmug:

10 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The belt or lines at Peebles High School were the only things I got, including 500 lines of 'I MUST NOT USE CARBON PAPER TO COPY MY LINES', was going to be 1000 but the teacher knocked of 500 for me showing some inventiveness :rofl:

Did teachers ever count the lines that you completed? I got 100 lines for general misbehaviour. When I handed them in, he threw them straight in the bin. :annoyed:

Harry Potter
12 hours ago, crichiejambos said:

Your age will dictate your answer on how you were/if punished at school if like me 70s/80s was  your era it was the belt which looking back was barbaric but you thought nothing of it at the time. Writing lines  were later on "I MUST NOT...........?"a  thousand times which was really a time wasting exercise and not particularly effective , detention was never an option the teachers were less interested in  staying back after school than we were plus lots of kids got school buses home and even then leaving a child stranded wasn't a good option even less so now. So how did the Scottish education system keep you check or were you an......:teu35:

The belt never did me any harm and i never told my dad, lines were worse as they stopped my footie for a 

while, and was boring.

Got the belt from Mr Sutherland a welsh technical drawing teacher, at craigmount high, that 

was very sore😕.

Edited by Harry Potter

I was in Primary 6 when corporal punishment was officially banned. Must have been on the way out for years though, because it was only two or three teachers that used the ruler and the rumoured (but never actually seen!) "six-strap" and they were all very old ladies. Literally, 'old school'.

I've actually got fond memories of "whole class" written punishments when something happened, the teacher couldn't be sure of the culprit and no-one grassed. One High School teacher in particular kept an analogue clock on her desk that people would set the (loud) alarm on and without fail when it went off, she'd jump a foot in the air and go nuts! 😀 Of course, the rogues soon learned to set it for later in the day when a different class would be in! 

Jambo-Jimbo
45 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Did teachers ever count the lines that you completed? I got 100 lines for general misbehaviour. When I handed them in, he threw them straight in the bin. :annoyed:

Probably not.

Jambo-Jimbo
8 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

How could I forget the ruler!

There was a certain geography teacher at high school who had a special ruler, made of wood but the ends were metal. So depending on your offence / his sadistic streak, it could be pretty painful. He liked hitting me. So one day while distracted I acquired his ruler. 

He questioned and searched every pupil but never got it back.

The day I left school I had to go round every teacher getting them to sign some leavers form and he quipped "going on the dole are we", "nah I have a Ferranti apprenticeship and your ruler". His face went an odd shade of purple as I walked away a free man.

We had a woodwork teacher who had one of those, used to walk around the classroom with it behind his back, he was prone to administering frequent instant justice with a rap over the knuckles, that was bad enough but his belt, feck knows what he'd done to it, it was solid and when you saw that you just knew..........this is gonna hurt................oh crap.

Seaside jambo

Portobello high school in the 70s 

the lash (belt) was the frequently used punishment by nearly all my teachers 

Fxxx the SPFL

Roseburn primary 1962-1968 got the belt on a few occasions from a Mrs Mackay she somehow hated me probably because i came from Gorgie and most of the other classmates were posh from Roseburn/Murrayfield area, she used to pull out in front of the class by my ears no wonder i look like Shrek now.

Tynie from 1973-1978 got the belt from one of the history or maths teachers used to wear a kilt he was a big fecker and it was bloody sore but better than lines and the folks didn't find out. There was also another drama teacher who kept the belt under his jacket up over his shoulder so if you got the belt he just pulled it out super quick and lashed you straight away sometimes for nothing.

The good old days.

The country has went down the swannie since the belt was taken away.  Discipline has gone. 

Seaside jambo
49 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The country has went down the swannie since the belt was taken away.  Discipline has gone. 

Agree 100% 

Lines or the belt. One day in 2nd year I got caught chucking bits of wood around the classroom in a woodwork class, we'd all been doing it while the teacher was out the room, but I continued when everyone else suddenly stopped, one of those "he's behind me, isn't he?" moments. 

I chose the belt to get it over with, even though that teacher was pretty vicious with it. I wasn't part of the group of the toughest kids in the year, but got major kudos and honourary membership with them as I took it without reacting or moving my hands out the way. Made my school year as was their pal from then on and never had to worry about getting picked on by them, so a good memory from school and not the lesson that teacher was probably looking for. :lol:

Edited by PortyJambo

The Real Maroonblood

My school was the belt.

If it was the Gym the cricket bat was an option.

Some of the Technical teachers had names for their belt.

Dr Charles. It cured bad boys.

Omo. it makes bad boys brighter.

Mostly lines or detention. Got 50 paragraphs once which was a real killer. Can't even remember what it was for. You never done all the lines or the paragraphs though, because the teacher never counted them. Skip a few words here and there, do 47 instead of 50, a small victory!

Got suspended once for fighting, which was just a case of sticking up for myself. 4 days off school so not too bad really. Some folk in my school used to fake fights so that they could get suspended.

Also...

Back when I was a mainstream teacher I handed out a fair few punnies.  At Dalkeith they had a colour coded system....different behaviour different punnies. I kept them all in a folder mainly so if the same kid was having too many i could speak to them and then change it to detentions or refer to SMT.

I loved bringing them out at parents evenings when both parent and kid were there "I don't suppose you could sign these punishment exercises now as your son didn't get them signed the first time". The looks the kids gave (You feckin rat sir) gave me goosebumps. 

For detentions I quickly did away with work and instead got them to do stuff to benefit me and the classes. Sharpen all the coloured pencils, clean the whiteboards, hand stuff on the walls or take stuff down etc. If the kid was a prick though, like a real feckin arsehole..."Here is a metre stick. I want all my desks aligned perfectly with a 90cm gap exactly between them". I had to really struggle not to burst out laughing watching them.

Got a one kid kicked off the fitba team as well. PE teacher was sound and I mentioned once in the staffroom a laddie was just a ****wit in class. He booted him off for two weeks for me. Laddie became an angel in my class after.

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Lines or the belt. One day in 2nd year I got caught chucking bits of wood around the classroom in a woodwork class, we'd all been doing it while the teacher was out the room, but I continued when everyone else suddenly stopped, one of those "he's behind me, isn't he?" moments. 

I chose the belt to get it over with, even though that teacher was pretty vicious with it. I wasn't part of the group of the toughest kids in the year, but got major kudos and honourary membership with them as I took it without reacting or moving my hands out the way. Made my school year as was their pal from then on and never had to worry about getting picked on by them, so a good memory from school and not the lesson that teacher was probably looking for. :lol:

It was always the Technical teachers that you feared most, for some reason.  PE to a lesser extent.

maroonedinoz

Fairly arbitrary where I went.

Don't think they had heard of a code of conduct.

Lines were the choice of some, and detention by others.

However they ALL when they lost their professional cool resorted to the belt.

Except for one psycho gym teacher we had who, if you didn't have your white PT shorts, and didn't have a note, would calmly  belt you for that.

Couldn't happen today.

I evenhad  one bald French teacher who lost his rag with me in first year, when I attempted an answer  a translation... and said 'bald 'and he thought I was having a go at him, which I wasn't

He dragged me by the collar out to the front of the blackboard  and shook me violently for what seemed like ages, all the time yelling at me.......he'd get charged with assault for that now.

maroonedinoz
46 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

It was always the Technical teachers that you feared most, for some reason.  PE to a lesser extent.

My experience too.

Apart from a psycho gym teacher who belted you for forgetting your shorts, we also had a Techie Drawing teacher who would walk around the class, belt in hand,  ask everybody individually a question and if you got it wrong or didn't understand the question would tell you to stand up and  delivered one lash of the belt.

Given I got 35% for techie drawing in my last year, his teaching methods obviously did not work.

The belt hurt, but not that much, but did reduce some of the class to humiliating tears, and you wonder now just what exactly was going through his head to do that.

John Findlay

My school years were April 15th 1968- May 31st 1979. Punishments ranged from the belt, lines to detention. Never got a detention.

Was aged 5 at Royston primary school when I first got the belt. I wasnt even in the school grounds. I was outside in Royston Mains Avenue and playing aeroplanes with my arms outstretched. I accidentally knocked a girl on the back of the neck. She told her mum, who complained to the school and Mr Thompson the then headmaster gave me the belt the next morning.

Even that young, I realised life wasnt fair.

20 minutes ago, maroonedinoz said:

Fairly arbitrary where I went.

Don't think they had heard of a code of conduct.

Lines were the choice of some, and detention by others.

However they ALL when they lost their professional cool resorted to the belt.

Except for one psycho gym teacher we had who, if you didn't have your white PT shorts, and didn't have a note, would calmly  belt you for that.

Couldn't happen today.

I evenhad  one bald French teacher who lost his rag with me in first year, when I attempted an answer  a translation... and said 'bald 'and he thought I was having a go at him, which I wasn't

He dragged me by the collar out to the front of the blackboard  and shook me violently for what seemed like ages, all the time yelling at me.......he'd get charged with assault for that now.

Our PE teacher made you do gym in your pants if you forgot your kit. I remember one boy busting out greeting. Turned out he wasn't wearing any pants.

We had a science teacher, aptly nicknamed 'Psycho', who used to throw the wooden blackboard duster at you, if he thought you weren't paying attention. He disappeared for a while, with rumours saying he was suspended for throwing a stool at a boy; which was perfectly believable. 

18 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

In high school there was so many options available to the teachers. Lower end was sent out the class to stand for the duration of the period. Then there was stages of punishment. Stage C (lowest) to Stage A (highest). Three Stage A's was a suspension. 

There was also behaviour cards, which you collected in the morning from your guidance teacher and took to each class to get the teacher to sign and then took it home to your parents to sign and then returned it in the morning where you got a new one. A total pain in the arse. 

I was only suspended once for acting like an arse in the school library one Friday with three other lads. However, that same day one particularly mental lad was getting suspended at the same time as us. As we lined up near the end of the day to collect our suspension letters, a teacher walked past and asked the mental lad if the headteacher was in the office to which he replied "nah he's on the ******* moon". She then reported this to the headteacher who came out to scald him. The lad flipped and started punching the headteacher as other male teachers flew out of classrooms to restrain him.  We stood there not knowing whether to laugh or not. They managed to get him out the school but for some mad reason the headteacher decided to go outside and speak to him again, perhaps thinking he had calmed down. He hadn't and rammed the nut on him, bursting his nose. That was the last time I ever seen him until one day I was reading the paper and recognised his face. He had gone over the wall at Castle Huntly and was on the run in Glasgow. 

It made me feel a bit better about my suspension but I was shitting bricks about telling my mum and dad. My dad didn't even flip. He just shook his head in disappointment. I wish he had just went mental. I wasn't allowed to go to games for a month and he took my sister instead. 

I hated school and was in trouble a fair bit, just because I couldn't be arsed and wanted to ***** about with my mates. I regret it now to be fair. 

Guy at my school used to get a call from deputy head to check if he will be in school today, He always skived off. After his eventual expulsion he joined the army. Got a dishonourable discharge for war crimes during the first Gulf war. Then he formed the rave band, The Rhythmic State :laugh:. He was in the video club at school and kicked off after the teacher refused to show the nudey scene during the film Stripes. :rofl: 

Edited by Marvin

The belt!! A regular feature at Gracemount Secondary. Burdiehouse Primary not so much. There were some bampot pupils at Gracemount not to mention sadistic teachers who took great delight in dishing out 6 of the best. Some went over the top especially when hands were pulled away and they whacked themselves on the shins. 😂

had to either write a paragraph on self discipline however many time we were told or detention but it only ever lasted for like 30 mins but was supposed to be an hour

also had supervision where we had to sit in a room and stare at a wall for an hour if u miss behaved during a class :D

Weakened Offender

Screaming in children's faces and assaulting them with leather belts, blackboard dusters, rulers and slaps around the head were the main options in my day. I still can't believe I saw a male teacher belt a 10 year old girl and then shouted at her to stop crying. I was in high school when this nonsense was banned so after that it was punnies and detention. 

I worked in a care home for a year, you should have heard what went on in there. 

PontiusPilate
8 hours ago, Seaside jambo said:

Portobello high school in the 70s 

the lash (belt) was the frequently used punishment by nearly all my teachers 

I was there 77-81 and can confirm that, think the teachers enjoyed beating kids

Seaside jambo
19 minutes ago, PontiusPilate said:

I was there 77-81 and can confirm that, think the teachers enjoyed beating kids

Must have been the sea air , but a lot of teachers had a wicked smirk on their faces when giving some poor kid the belt 

crunchy frog

Went to school in Germany in  late 70s where I received the cane. I think that was more for the pervy teacher's benefit than mine, the *****.

Came back to Edinburgh 81 got a few blackboard dusters bounced off my dome but avoided the strap.

After that it was exclusion from the class standing in the corridor ootside the room. Got a few funny looks from other teachers passing by but I probably learnt more in the corridor than the class of the baldy bassa that chucked me out 😀