Dave Mackay

LeftBack

Just started a new job as part of a devolved organisation with headquarters in London. Been speaking to a fellow football fan who is a Spurs supporter.

Told him I saw Kane's debut in the 5-0 game. 

But reminded him of the link between the two clubs and sent him this article https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/03/dave-mackay-hearts-scotland-tottenham-derby-ill-health-passed-on

Just re-reading it had the hairs on back of neck up - regardless of whether there has been a better player for us - has there been one with more raw passion?

12 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Just started a new job as part of a devolved organisation with headquarters in London. Been speaking to a fellow football fan who is a Spurs supporter.

But reminded him of the link between the two clubs and sent him this article https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/03/dave-mackay-hearts-scotland-tottenham-derby-ill-health-passed-on

Just re-reading it had the hairs on back of neck up - regardless of whether there has been a better player for us - has there been one with more raw passion?

Took my son to the second leg 0-0 draw at White Hart Lane. We were sitting in the Spurs end. Dave Mackay came out at HT if I remember correctly and got a standing ovation from the whole ground. Remember telling my son about him.

TyphoonJambo

Cant have too many statues at the moment, good excuse for a non distancing get together. 

DSC_0010_compress49.thumb.jpg.781328324c7cbcb5470e9ec1cd48c6d9.jpg

Met the great man, shook his hand and he signed my programme & cup final ticket. 

:smugger:

Defo should have a statue. 100%

Hectormasson
33 minutes ago, the_jailer said:

We should have a statue of him outside tynie

Definetly......🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

Football fans always talk about the tough tackling side of his game. Anyone who played with or against him instead always talk about what a great footballer he was. Only 5’7” as well apparently. He looked like a giant on the pitch. 

The old man was a big Davie Mackay fan but when it came to the crunch he always said, "Willie Bauld was king of Hearts."

34 minutes ago, complete control said:

Best player ever to play for HMFC.

Wouldnt disagree but genuinely interested to know if people think he was also the most passionate. Reading that article again I just thought OMG - imagine if he was still around and we needed a director of football. Or indeed a sweeper!

John Findlay

I was at a function where Alan Mullery was a guest speaker. When he heard my Scot's accent he asked where I was from? Edinburgh I told him and he asked me Hearts or Hibs. Hearts I told him again. He answered. You're going to ask me about Dave MacKay? I said aye Alan, how good was he?. Alan answered. First name on the teamsheet and worth two great players. That's how good he was.

Was there not a story that he was co-commentator at a Spurs v Derby game and was asked which was his club.

"My club is Hearts son" he growled.

I wonder what might have happened if Cloughie hadnt offered him £15,000 to sign for Derby - when he had already agreed to come back to Hearts.

My brother-in-law is a Derby supporter and he is also revered there. Talking of statues, don't they have one of him there?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

My dad was a bit younger than him but knew him from Broomhouse growing up and always thought he was the best Hearts player he ever saw. Alex Ferguson was complimentary about him.

https://www.sundaypost.com/opinion/dave-mackay-was-alex-fergusons-first-name-on-his-best-ever-scotland-xi-teamsheet/

ps Kane didn’t play against us in the 5 nil 😜

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

I wonder what might have happened if Cloughie hadnt offered him £15,000 to sign for Derby - when he had already agreed to come back to Hearts.

Indeed, I’ve not watched past that bit in the film yet 😃

Theme From Sparta F.C.

Watching that sent a shiver up my Spine!! As it did at White Hart Lane that night.

A true legend of our Club.

SectionDJambo

My dad said that when Hearts sold Dave Mackay, they sold the heart of the team. He was never beaten until time up and made sure the others thought the same.

He could easily be considered the best Hearts player of all time. We could have been the first team to win the Scottish treble if we hadn’t sold him.
That reception he got at the Spurs v Hearts game in 2011 was marvellous. 

15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

My dad was a bit younger than him but knew him from Broomhouse growing up and always thought he was the best Hearts player he ever saw. Alex Ferguson was complimentary about him.

https://www.sundaypost.com/opinion/dave-mackay-was-alex-fergusons-first-name-on-his-best-ever-scotland-xi-teamsheet/

ps Kane didn’t play against us in the 5 nil 😜

Thought he came on as sub

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/dave-mackay-one-one

How good was the man? When you scroll further down there’s a question about himself and 2 other Spurs teammates who used to do a trick with a coin.

Billy McNeill or Denis Law(can’t remember?) told the story of when Scotland went over to play Spain. The Scots watched Spain train at the stadium the night before, they were show boating knowing they had an audience, as if to intimidate the Scotland players.  

On match day, Dave Mackay ran out for the warm up and deliberately got the attention of the Spain players, and standing on his own in the centre circle, did the said coin trick mentioned in the interview.  

Scotland won the match 6-2.  

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, I’ve not watched past that bit in the film yet 😃

Cloughie's own autobiography said he went to sign him - Mackay said £15,000 wouldnt get me...Cloughie said what about £14,000 and the deal was done.

4 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

No. 

Look - you may be right.

And Ive checked and you are right...

but FFS couldnt you have just let it go....😓

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Cloughie's own autobiography said he went to sign him - Mackay said £15,000 wouldnt get me...Cloughie said what about £14,000 and the deal was done.

They must’ve got on pretty well.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Thought he came on as sub

He must’ve been unfit I think, they had Friediel and Cuducini on the bench 🤷🏾‍♂️.

D56D96DA-5649-438E-90C4-7FDD69722342.jpeg

782057A9-7863-402F-A605-64816F77B17C.jpeg

JTJ east whitburn
2 hours ago, the_jailer said:

who do we talk to about making this happen, as this should happen 

21 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

that was my only post. Two letters and a full stop. I’m not exactly labouring the point😂

Two letters and a full stop too far mate. ...only joking!

25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He must’ve been unfit I think, they had Friediel and Cuducini on the bench 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Aye very good. Next thing you will be saying Venables wasnt manager.

Pasquale for King
Just now, LeftBack said:

Aye very good. Next thing you will be saying Venables wasnt manager.

Hahahahaha 😆😜

26 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

But actually that is weird having two keepers as subs

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

I only noticed it recently when we were talking about the game on here. Best team I’ve seen against us I think. The crazy thing for me is that they were looking for Kane to go out on loan the next season and a combination of Murray/Locke/Brown picked Paul McCallum instead 😱🤔🙈.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I only noticed it recently when we were talking about the game on here. Best team I’ve seen against us I think. The crazy thing for me is that they were looking for Kane to go out on loan the next season and a combination of Murray/Locke/Brown picked Paul McCallum instead 😱🤔🙈.

Come on son... Are you are hearts fan? Who would you want to be taking a penalty in a semi final.. Kane or... Oh wait.. Fair enough 

4 hours ago, the_jailer said:

And that comment about his ambitions from a youngster inscribed beneath 

Finlay James

I genuinely don't believe there has been a British player that people speak so highly of.  He was respected in equal measure by fans of all clubs who saw him play and that takes some doing.

2 hours ago, Theme From Sparta F.C. said:

Watching that sent a shiver up my Spine!! As it did at White Hart Lane that night.

A true legend of our Club.

Is that Mark E Smith in your avatar?  

For a man who lived so much of his life in England, I was bursting with pride when I learned that his wish was for Hearts to organise his funeral.

Always Hearts.

Statue is a superb idea.  Another for Willie Bauld, the unquestioned King of Hearts.

Parttimer1874
56 minutes ago, bigcoll said:

And that comment about his ambitions from a youngster inscribed beneath 

Would be absolutely behind this. 

Francis Albert

One of the first things he did when he got to London after signing for Spurs was to buy a Jaguar … second hand presumably because even Spurs players didn't earn that much back then. He had it resprayed maroon.

3 hours ago, LeftBack said:

They could've swapped a CM for Cudicini and still strolled it. Top side

9 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

The old man was a big Davie Mackay fan but when it came to the crunch he always said, "Willie Bauld was king of Hearts."

Willie Bauld was my hero when I was a teenager, and he was indeed referred to as King Willie by the Hearts masses.

There were so many wonderful players in the Hearts of the mid-1950s, and they combined to make the best team in Hearts' history.

Davie Mackay was outstanding, a hard-working midfielder who was capable of scoring incredible goals.  There have been few like him since.  When he was sold to Tottenham, out of the blue, there were near riots in Edinburgh. And he was sold for a paltry 27,000.

Just now, sassenach said:

I don't remember Dave Mackay playing, but do I have a very tenuous link to him.

Bobby Smith, who played with Mackay at Spurs and scored in the 1961 and 1962 Cup Finals, is from my childhood village.

As I said, tenuous.

Jimmy Greaves always thought Smith was a major reason he scored as many for Spurs. Smith was a bit of a unit

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Was upset about this last night so phoned Harry this morning. He was raging. He did play in the game but a mix up meant he was given Pavyluchenko's kit. He said it doesn't really matter but its important to all at JKB that Left Back is known as being right. Which was nice. 

Just now, sassenach said:

By all accounts Bobby Smith was a superb centre forward. 176 goals in 261 appearances for Spurs and 13 in 15 for England is pretty good.

Apparently he dropped out of the England picture because he didn't get along with a lot of the suits, and he was well out of the picture by the time the '66 World Cup came around.

The funny thing is that when I was a kid, despite being from his village and despite the fact he'd not long finished playing, I'd never heard of him. Nobody ever seemed to mention him. George Hardwick was also from Lingdale, captained England and played either side of the war, so 20 years earlier than Smith, but he was often spoken about. I can only think that the difference is Smith spent all his career in the south, whereas Hardwick spent most of his career at Middlesbrough.

Greavsie said they enjoyed a beer or two.... 

LarrysRightFoot

I’m sure most of you will have read it but his autobiography - The Real Mackay: The Dave Mackay Story - is a good read. 

He is exactly the type of player need now and have needed from the day he left. 

I have shed many a tear for Hearts over the years, the one most vivid was when DM left to sign for Spurs. When DM went into management, I always felt that Hearts missed out on acquiring his services. 

Theme From Sparta F.C.
18 hours ago, mac said:

Is that Mark E Smith in your avatar?  

Yes it is. 👍

The photo started as Hugh Burns. Then Mark E Smith's head was added.