Mitchell released by Man Utd

Section Q

No great surprise there.....

"""Former Hearts left back Demetri Mitchell has been released by Manchester United at the end of his contract. 

He’s one of a number of youngsters being allowed to leave Old Trafford when their contracts expire in June.

He could interest a number of Scottish clubs after impressing during his two loan spells at Tynecastle."""

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-22249010#405033

Edited by Section Q

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

• Section Q

If Hickey goes we could do a lot worse. Think injuries made it quite hard for him to hit his stride but there is heaps of potential there. 

Suspect wages could be a huge, huge stumbling block though. 

I didnt rate him highly when playing in a back 4, found his defensive side to lacking. When he was aged further forward though I thought he was decent though. Either as a wing back when we played with a back three or when played as a winger.

I think he had potential and showed skill at moments. His spell post injury was poor though, maybe a confidence thing.

Would take him back if he wasn't going to cost much.

He was always injured or carrying an injury during his second spell. Still a young guy, still a good player. Would happily have him here at left mid or wing back. Not so much as a full back. 

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

They've released Ethan Hamilton too. On loan at Southend and Bolton. 

@Footballfirst know much about Hamilton? Wiki has him at Hutchie up to 2015.

He'd be a more interesting option. 

Footballfirst
Just now, OTT said:

I would certainly be interested in taking Hamilton. He is a very good player.

He was at Hutchie and played in the same team as Sean McKirdy and Regan Hendry, but was the best of the three.

McKirdy came to Hearts and is now with Kelty, while Hendry went to Celtic and is now at Raith Rovers.  Hendry actually played a pre season with Hearts U16s, before being lured by the green pound..

been here before

Great first spell until his injury but pretty run of the mill subsequently, when he managed to get a game.

Great goal v St Johnatone and that trick/dummy/stepover thing he done at Fir Park still leaves me baffled.

jamboinglasgow
14 minutes ago, OTT said:

Thats very surprising. I thought he was highly rated by Man U. Would sign him up if we could.

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I would certainly be interested in taking Hamilton. He is a very good player.

He was at Hutchie and played in the same team as Sean McKirdy and Regan Hendry, but was the best of the three.

McKirdy came to Hearts and is now with Kelty, while Hendry went to Celtic and is now at Raith Rovers.  Hendry actually played a pre season with Hearts U16s, before being lured by the green pound..

Sounds like a ringing endorsement! Hope Robbie is aware of him. Shame McKirdy never worked out, remember there being high hopes for him (came through around the same time as Beith iirc). 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/scottish-and-english-clubs-alert-manchester-united-release-ex-hearts-man-demetri-mitchell-and-edinburgh-born-ethan-hamilton-2895613

Bandersons article above ^

Edited by OTT

Absolute no brainer if we are consigned to losing hickey anyway. At least wed be replacing him with someone with reasonable potential.

Think Mitchell was unlucky with us. Looked great when he first arrived at leftback/wingback but his inexperience and lack of positional sense became more apparent as time went on then got injured. Second spell he moved forward and again looked like a proper player during our early season good form. Once the injuries to other key players kicked in he again didn't have the experience to be a leader but then not many young player on loan do. Had Naismith, Haring, Berra, Souttar etc. remained fit I think we would have got a good season out of him and he would have got good development. 

Was he not being "converted" from winger to play left back by/at Man U? Maybe now he's free to go where he wants, he'll also prefer to play further forward. IMO probably a better idea as not that good a defender. 

25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Big time Charlie, this reality check will do him no harm. 

Can’t say I’ve ever thought that about him.

id take him as a wide midfielder.

Jambof3tornado

Technically a decent player. Would imagine he will find a club with a much better salary cap than we have.

Just now, Irufushi said:

Me tae. Thought he showed he had potential. All he needs is consistency and Hearts can provide it for him. 

I hope we sign the lad.

Would definitely take him but would imagine wages will be a major stumbling block. He was fantastic first loan , 2nd time round injuries and confidence hit hard

4 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Absolutely would take him. 

He was awful in second spell. I wonder if he’s got confidence issues or some sort of mentality thing holding him back. 

Bazzas right boot

He'd be decent for us. 

Postionally a bit niave but a good attacking player, technical with skill. 

I'd take him and whtye as lb options next season no problem. 

I still have hope Whyte will come good, the lad is a footballer and lightening quick, just rusty defensively and really unlucky with injuries. 

I think Mitchell might get a gig in the championship tho. 

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

He'd be decent for us. 

Postionally a bit niave but a good attacking player, technical with skill. 

I'd take him and whtye as lb options next season no problem. 

I still have hope Whyte will come good, the lad is a footballer and lightening quick, just rusty defensively and really unlucky with injuries. 

I think Mitchell might get a gig in the championship tho. 

If Aidy could stay fit he’ll do well imo. Would leave us two left backs who are liable to pick up an injury or two though. 

46 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Would definitely take him but would imagine wages will be a major stumbling block. He was fantastic first loan , 2nd time round injuries and confidence hit hard

He won’t be getting any wages shortly 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If Aidy could stay fit he’ll do well imo. Would leave us two left backs who are liable to pick up an injury or two though. 

Yip, it is a risk. 

Aidy seemed generally OK, no breakdown just maybe a bit unlucky with smashes in the face and such! 

I'm hoping anyway, he's very decent imo. 

Our injuries were beyond a joke tho

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Remember those great crosses, the wonderful goals etc? No me neither. They guy will be looking for way more than we can pay. His attitude in his last loan was awful, didn’t give a shit. Man U can **** off with sending us dross like him and Perriera, add Man City and Liverpool in too.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Pagey said:

Was he not being "converted" from winger to play left back by/at Man U? Maybe now he's free to go where he wants, he'll also prefer to play further forward. IMO probably a better idea as not that good a defender. 

He played left and right wing for us and did the sum part of ****all bar hit the post at Livi in the 5 nil game. Let’s see what teams are in for him.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He played left and right wing for us and did the sum part of ****all bar hit the post at Livi in the 5 nil game. Let’s see what teams are in for him.

Sure he scored a screamer for us 

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, it is a risk. 

Aidy seemed generally OK, no breakdown just maybe a bit unlucky with smashes in the face and such! 

I'm hoping anyway, he's very decent imo. 

Our injuries were beyond a joke tho

Yeah I think Aidy could surprise a few this season. As for Demi he was excellent in his first spell. I’m on the fence with him. 

30 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Offffft. Wee meltdown there :rofl:

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Sure he scored a screamer for us 

He did, and that was it. A season and half, although he was injured for most of it? Just what we need at £5k a week. 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Offffft. Wee meltdown there :rofl:

Abso****inglutely, a typical Levein player. Let’s move forwards, with our new old manager 🤔😆

For a player on loan for buttons then yes.  For a player wanting a competitive wage to add to an already stretched squad, no ta. 

Leveins Battalion

Few good Scottish lads out of contract down south,Murray Wallace and Lewis MacLeod.👍

Some decent lads at the bottom of the Championship/League 1 in the 20-26 age range.A market that we have been missing out on maybe

🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, OTT said:

If Hickey goes we could do a lot worse. Think injuries made it quite hard for him to hit his stride but there is heaps of potential there. 

Suspect wages could be a huge, huge stumbling block though. 

He's not a full back.  He's in the same category as Moore. Also the same progression, getting forced into a position that doesn't suit him.  He needs to get moved into a winger or forward position, he has skills.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Had a decent 6 weeks when nobody knew what to expect of him. Next

Good point, extremely reluctant to go outside his man for some reason, there’s a reason they moved him to FB after all.