Media vs new Hearts managers

allystrachan

allystrachan

I know there is plenty said on here about how bad the media is up here & how Hearts are a clear target for them these days. I know I shouldn’t have but I read an Andy Walker article from the sun having a dig at Neilson & Hearts & only mentioning his record vs Hibs whilst here previously. 

Every recent Hearts manager has had similar negative articles before they even start.

Stendel, messy hair, can’t speak English even though he’s been successful in England.

Levein, fair enough the situation was crazy but he was a previous international manager with European experience.

Cathro, slated for his lack of experience even though he had coached in Europe.

Neilson the first time, no experience judgement day etc.

FIVE appointments in a row kicked in the media before they even start. that doesn’t seem to happen elsewhere. Lennon a cheap option? Gerrard has no experience? Jack Ross etc Etc

Are we just picking the wrong people (probably due to the recent results) or do you think there’s a recent media agenda?

There is definitely an agenda ever since Romanov arrived.  Scottish football journalism is in the main is OF centric, bias and atrocious.

Jambof3tornado
25 minutes ago, Big Doug said:

There is definitely an agenda ever since Romanov arrived.  Scottish football journalism is in the main is OF centric, bias and atrocious.

Goes back before Vlad. Our club well run is a threat to the duopoly and that scares the media and those running the game up here.

FTH 

Салатные палочки

If you're not "wan o the boeys" then platforms like Sportsound and average ex-players in the papers will continue to have some sort of weird grudge against you. I'm sure it happens to other clubs, but I don't see it as much. 

The treatment of Cathro in the press was terrible. There's no doubting his reputation as a coach, but he isn't a manager. Not his fault really, given half the change to manage a club like Hearts at his age he would be mental to knock it back but he was on a hiding to nothing from the start. 

The whole Stendal "unkempt" patter was horrific. Guy had just flown in from Germany late at night. He was another one that wasn't "wan o the boeys". 

Lennon is a cheeky chappy and a victim and is also the manager of the biggest and most powerful club in the country so gets a free pass. Gerrard gets a pass because he was a top player at a top club so in the eyes of our media can't do a thing wrong. 

I don't know what their problem with Neilson would be but I would love Robbie to have five mins alone in a room with that prick Walker. 

I think we just need to get used to it. The press will continue to put the boot into us at every opportunity from now on. Personally I would ban the lot of them from Tynecastle. Let them write their match reports from a room back in Glasgow. 

There isn’t another manager in the Spl that gets the negativity that a Hearts man does. Don’t think I’m being paranoid but I just can’t remember the last time those red top rags gave out a good story. Saying that we have sort of shot ourselves in the foot over the last 4 years.And it doesn’t help that most of the so called media pundits always seem to be from the gruesome twosome, with a sad story about the day they were verbally abused at Tynecastle.boo hoo

Leveins Battalion

Simple.

Stop reading it.Red tops became irrelevant about 10 years ago.

Only really see the over 50's going in the shop and buying one.If it wasn't for folk posting their comments on here most of us would be blissfully unaware that a weedgie rag is printing shit.

1 hour ago, allystrachan said:

I know there is plenty said on here about how bad the media is up here & how Hearts are a clear target for them these days. I know I shouldn’t have but I read an Andy Walker article from the sun having a dig at Neilson & Hearts & only mentioning his record vs Hibs whilst here previously. 

Every recent Hearts manager has had similar negative articles before they even start.

Stendel, messy hair, can’t speak English even though he’s been successful in England.

Levein, fair enough the situation was crazy but he was a previous international manager with European experience.

FIVE appointments in a row kicked in the media before they even start. that doesn’t seem to happen elsewhere. Lennon a cheap option? Gerrard has no experience? Jack Ross etc Etc

Are we just picking the wrong people (probably due to the recent results) or do you think there’s a recent media agenda?

Gotta agree with all this, I've blocked the daily Record and post newsnow feeds as I'm sick of every single article having a go at us.

Why an ex-Celtic, Motherwell, Hibs player is talking about Hearts I don't know. Let's not pretend he is being paid to cover all the clubs, he is being paid precisely because of the clubs he played for...

I hope that the Club looks at who has written what during this time and then ensures that those who have written outrageous stuff about us are never allowed inside a Tynecastle again. Top of the list should be that utter welt Keith Jackson.

Walter Burns
5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I hope that the Club looks at who has written what during this time and then ensures that those who have written outrageous stuff about us are never allowed inside a Tynecastle again. Top of the list should be that utter welt Keith Jackson.

I absolutely detest that prick....dont wish harm against many people but with the amount of pish he spouts about Hearts....I would love someone to kick the shit out of him....

You can add Austin to the list from when he was caretaker last season. Absolutely shocking treatment from supposedly ‘objective’ pundits and journalists. 

We've been a target ever since we split the OF all those years ago. The press just love to print stories about us, even more so if it's a negative report. As someone has said, it's gone on since before Vlad arrived. 

Just thinking out loud, but when FOH take over ownership, would we (as FOH) be able to vote a resolution (seems to be the done thing these days) effectively banning free press passes?

If they're going to write crap, they are going to write crap anyway, might aswell charge them for the priveledge??

We have arsehole fans running about with this phoodle out pish before a ball is even kicked, that's worse than shite printed in a paper.

Just now, Mr 3 Putt said:

We have arsehole fans running about with this phoodle out pish before a ball is even kicked, that's worse than shite printed in a paper.

Quite. .

5 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Yup

5 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

These are the same guys who wanted him out when we were 2nd in the league, it becomes a problem when other fans start to listen to the garbage they spout.

baxterd1974
3 hours ago, Big Doug said:

Is the correct answer.  We have been paying for Romanov's rants ever since.  Given the current situation this is unlikely to change in my lifetime.

King Of The Cat Cafe

The thing is, the meeja look for soundbites and clever, controversial, comments.

That is what they get from Lennon, from Rogers before him, and from MacInnes and Johnston to a degree.

Apart from Levein, we have not had a recent manager who could play those games.  

Robbie concentrated on what he was doing and his team, rather than dissing the opponents.

Cathro was barely articulate in saying anything with a microphone in front of him.  MacPhee was a better speaker, but did not play the games.  Stendel did not have good enough English, or the awareness, to know what they expected of him.

I'm happy to have someone like Robbie than a motormouth like Lennon.

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

To be fair Creepy Jack did get hubz from bottom six to em bottom six - he is the new messiah 

nah, they were still top six but voted themselves into bottom 6 because they hate us more than they like themselves.

The press have been at the whole club since vlads days, how dare hearts bring a foreigner in, he might actually see us for what we are!! Now,  how dare they have a woman in charge who might see us and the bowling club committees for what we are.

when this blows over, no more free access to games ( pay for a match ticket), no more free food and drinks. Plenty of tap water for them. Make sure that there internet access is slow and very unreliable 

Ex member of the SaS

I know the court works in odd ways sometime but this is just kicking it down the road again. Are they being deliberately awkward or are they trying to get a fixture list up and running before the case is heard? Just hope our QC has a barrow load of evidence so that the SPFL can't win.

I have no idea how old some of you guys are but the anti Hearts agenda was going on long before Romanov.  The only time Hearts got decent coverage was when we won a cup.  They just want to sell papers.  They do not pick on celtic or rangers because that is their readership.  They dont pick on motherwell, hamilton etc because who gives a f@@£ about them?  Hearts are the easy target.  Big enough for folk to buy a paper and read bad things about but small enough that it doesnt bother them if Hearts supporters dont buy their paper.  They will not dare write about celtic being the driving force behind this whole debacle.  Everyone knows it, but nobody with the balls to write it.

6 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Hearts supporters ripped into Robbie Neilson, why shouldn't the media?

Why don't you stick to the specific point and stop trying to be the fly in the ointment? The media treatment goes way back before Neilson's time.   

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Why don't you stick to the specific point and stop trying to be the fly in the ointment? The media treatment goes way back before Neilson's time.   

The point is relevent.

We all know the media read this forum and the media want you reading their drivel. 

What better way to get a readership than to slag off Hearts, its what keeps this forum alive and healthy as well.

Barney bulge

The media are a complete disgrace towards hearts. Michael StewartS  personal vendetta towards Craig levein is embarrassing And sums it up ( he’s alarmingly obsessed with him) 

Back in the paper today 

claiming Robbie only came back cause he’s away, held him back the last time And left for mk dons because of levein  etc etc. It’s a total nonsense, total drivel.

neilson stated -

he had great relationship with levein and wished he had a dof like him when he was at Mk dons.

so this is totally made up Garbage  to keep kicking a man when he’s down to boost his own self esteem which says a lot about him. 

14 hours ago, Smithee said:

We have ideas above our station as far as they're concerned, we'll always take a kicking from the OF press.

I’m convinced one reason is simply we are an Edinburgh club, weegies have a definite chip on there shoulders when it comes to the “Capital City “

Weakened Offender
17 hours ago, allystrachan said:

Unfortunately the media were correct regarding the three appointments in between Robbie. 

15 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Who are they ?

18 hours ago, allystrachan said:

Regarding Neilson how they can bring up his record v Hibs is Laughable i want a hearts manager to beat the so called smaller teams something that has been lacking and Neilson did just that the first time and the smaller teams are 3 points the same as the scum are don’t get me wrong a want to beat them to 

Does not matter a jolt what the media say . We have been hated for a long time , its like water of a ducks back to me these days 

jamboinglasgow
13 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

The thing is, the meeja look for soundbites and clever, controversial, comments.

That is what they get from Lennon, from Rogers before him, and from MacInnes and Johnston to a degree.

Apart from Levein, we have not had a recent manager who could play those games.  

Robbie concentrated on what he was doing and his team, rather than dissing the opponents.

Cathro was barely articulate in saying anything with a microphone in front of him.  MacPhee was a better speaker, but did not play the games.  Stendel did not have good enough English, or the awareness, to know what they expected of him.

I'm happy to have someone like Robbie than a motormouth like Lennon.

It happens down in England as well. 

Certain English managers with very average results through out their career get defended to the hilt and championed by some members of the press due to the fact that these managers will give the press the quotes they want, be chummy with them and be best friends. A classic example is how Steve Bruce and Rafa Benitez are viewed by the press and the Newcastle supporters. Newcastle fans love Benitez but are dismissive of Bruce, but in the press it is the other way round. And thats because Bruce was a pal to the press and Beneitez was more interested in talking about football and tactics, something the press are not interested in.

It was the same with AVB. He saw press conferences pre-match to talk about the technical and tactical side of football, but the press were not interested in that, they prefer narrative driven stories. So manager x has called manager y a cheat, what is your reaction to that. Your player was caught cheating on his partner will you drop him and tell him off. They want soundbites not a more serious dicussion about football, as that doesn't fit into a quick story they want to put up. Its why Jose Mourinho won the press over so quickly. He gave them soundbites, he gave them quirky press conferences, he made their life easier.

I see the same problem in Scotland, though its more scoping it toward an old firm bias. A Hearts manager's pre-match conference may last 20 mins, have some very interesting things said about the manager's plans on players and how he plans to use them, how he rates certain players etc but he gets asked one question by a journalist about his view on Celtic being denied a penalty and Lennon saying "he thinks that Scottish referees are sway more to Rangers than to Celtic." The manager may respond with something non-commital like "I think its dangerous to suggesting things like that as it undermines trust in referees and opens up problems, I must admit I have never seen any bias against Celtic or towards Rangers." So 30secs in a 20min press conference. And the story in the paper next day has the headline "Hearts manger calls Neil Lennon a liar, slams accusation of Rangers bias." And 3/4 of the story is all about that 30secs. In reporting a Hearts managers press-conference they have turned it into another story about the old firm and leave very little that the person who should be interested in the actual story is.

Unknown user
5 hours ago, fila said:

Does not matter a jolt what the media say . We have been hated for a long time , its like water of a ducks back to me these days 

They're going to REALLY ****ing hate us once this is over

:verysmug:

:pleasing: